Searches and Results

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

There are many things that bugs me regarding the Searches on Comic Vine.

The main seach (on the top on the website)

Suggestions and Results not the same ?

Once you type in something, suggestions appear. That is great.

If you type in "Enter" the seach is summited and a new page appears with different things than the suggestions.

Why ?

Search results badly organised

If I type in "Batman" for exemple, neither nor Batman (character) or Batman (current comics serie) come on top, but an Italian book from 66

The list should be ordered by most visited wiki, then by creation date, then by alphabetical order.

To promote newly added wiki, there could be a search order select box to choose between Newly added wiki first and Most poppular wiki first.

No possibility to search forum topics

In the filtering checkboxes on the right, there is no possible way to search among the forums ?

Why is that ?

Forum seach (on top of the forums list)

Anything I type in gives me 0 results. Try with "Batman" for exemple. There ought to be a Forum suggestion or a Topic suggestion !

Why is that ?

Need of a search bar inside a user's "Forums" page

I often need to look at what I answered on an old post, but have a hard time finding it.

Thank you to enhence those features.

A Forum user.

alicio241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, having the same problem every time i search something on the forums nothing pops up

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

#3  Edited By FicOPedia

I don't know all of the technical stuff, but have some responses:

@jb681131 said:

If you type in "Enter" the seach is summited and a new page appears with different things than the suggestions.

Why ?

Can you elaborate on this? What I've seen is you type in "Batman," you get a list of suggestions in a drop down menu off of the search bar. If you hit "enter," you get the same suggestions that were in the drop down menu on a whole new page. Are you getting something different from that?

@jb681131 said:

If I type in "Batman" for exemple, neither nor Batman (character) or Batman (current comics serie) come on top, but an Italian book from 66

The list should be ordered by most visited wiki, then by creation date, then by alphabetical order.

To promote newly added wiki, there could be a search order select box to choose between Newly added wiki first and Most poppular wiki first.

I don't want you to think I missed this part, but I don't have an answer here. However, it is possible (it seems unlikely, but it's possible) that the Italian Bat-book from '66 is the most visited wiki for "Batman."

@jb681131 said:

In the filtering checkboxes on the right, there is no possible way to search among the forums ?

Why is that ?

Because there is a separate search bar for the forums, which you mention next.

@jb681131 said:

Anything I type in gives me 0 results. Try with "Batman" for exemple. There ought to be a Forum suggestion or a Topic suggestion !

Why is that ?

Are you scrolling down? I just tried it, and there were a bunch of empty form boxes at the top of the page. However, scrolling down, I found 988,759 results over 65,918 pages.

That said, I never use CV's forum search bar. I use Google. You can narrow your Google search to Comic Vine only by typing in your subject, then "site:" then the site name. For example: Batman site:comicvine.gamespot.com/forums. That will limit the search to the CV forums for Batman. You want to be more specific in your search terms though, because just the number of times someone says "Because it's Batman" will make your search unwieldy.

@jb681131 said:

I often need to look at what I answered on an old post, but have a hard time finding it.

A Forum user.

Again, narrowing the search on Google is the easiest way. Every user has a "Forums" tab on their profile, if they've ever responded to a forums post. You can sift through that manually, but if they're busy leaving two and three-word answers to umpteen threads a day, good luck with that. You can narrow your Google search to that user's Forums tab this way (I'll use mine for the example):

Batman site:comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/ficopedia/forums

Now honestly, there should be a bunch of hits in the Fan-Fic forum there, but Google only came up with three posts. Maybe that has something to do with most of my forum posts are also blogs? I don't know.

I realize these aren't addressing your requests exactly, but hopefully they'll take the frustration down a bit in the meantime.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know all of the technical stuff, but have some responses:

@jb681131 said:

Why ?

Can you elaborate on this? What I've seen is you type in "Batman," you get a list of suggestions in a drop down menu off of the search bar. If you hit "enter," you get the same suggestions that were in the drop down menu on a whole new page. Are you getting something different from that?

Yes both results are totally different for me !

@jb681131 said:

I don't want you to think I missed this part, but I don't have an answer here. However, it is possible (it seems unlikely, but it's possible) that the Italian Bat-book from '66 is the most visited wiki for "Batman."

Well now I get a spanish Batman before the Italian one

@jb681131 said:

Why is that ?

Because there is a separate search bar for the forums, which you mention next.

Indeed but why ?

@jb681131 said:

Why is that ?

Are you scrolling down? I just tried it, and there were a bunch of empty form boxes at the top of the page. However, scrolling down, I found 988,759 results over 65,918 pages.

That said, I never use CV's forum search bar. I use Google. You can narrow your Google search to Comic Vine only by typing in your subject, then "site:" then the site name. For example: Batman site:comicvine.gamespot.com/forums. That will limit the search to the CV forums for Batman. You want to be more specific in your search terms though, because just the number of times someone says "Because it's Batman" will make your search unwieldy.

Well, it seems this bug has been fixed.

Also, it is sad that a so much visited site doesn't have somewhat decent search results and that you need to go though Google to find what you need.

@jb681131 said:

A Forum user.

Again, narrowing the search on Google is the easiest way. Every user has a "Forums" tab on their profile, if they've ever responded to a forums post. You can sift through that manually, but if they're busy leaving two and three-word answers to umpteen threads a day, good luck with that. You can narrow your Google search to that user's Forums tab this way (I'll use mine for the example):

Batman site:comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/ficopedia/forums

Now honestly, there should be a bunch of hits in the Fan-Fic forum there, but Google only came up with three posts. Maybe that has something to do with most of my forum posts are also blogs? I don't know.

I realize these aren't addressing your requests exactly, but hopefully they'll take the frustration down a bit in the meantime.

No it is not the easiest way because I do not find my previous posts neither !

But thanks for answering.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

No one is looking into this !! Search results and ordering make no sence !

No Caption Provided

Or into this !!! 0 result for a "Topic search" on Batman !?

No Caption Provided

Archimedez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

+1

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good to see I'm not the only one bothered by this and good of you that you touched on this.

I know that feel. When I search for a character e.g. Batman I get the same. Really inconvenient if you ask me. Hope this will be fixed!

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: I know right. And here in my post you can see another comicvine bug, big images are unaturaly blury. A reduced big image is never that blury, what is comicvine applying to degrade images ?