I can't stand him. Probably the worst Batman villain in my opinion.

420Slaterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 420Slaterson

The original idea of this character was interesting. A Batman villain who hated Bruce Wayne more than Batman and became a leader of the False Face Society, a sort of half cult/half criminal organization obsessed with masks and identity. He wasn't terribly well executed when he first appeared, but there was potential there that could've been expanded upon. Except they didn't. They got rid of any interesting aspect of the character and just turned him into a torture happy sadist/generic mobster with a dumb look. He became completely one note and lacking in personality, and whenever I see him in a story now, I just wonder why the writer is using him as opposed to the Penguin or some other mobster character with more personality. Even joke villains like Zeus and Killer Moth are charming in their goofy way, and at least writers don't take them seriously enough to give them a huge presence. Black Mask is such a key player compared to them, and he's just so bland.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@420slaterson: I personally believe penguin is one of batmans most redundant, non-developing, overused villains

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The original idea of this character was interesting. A Batman villain who hated Bruce Wayne more than Batman and became a leader of the False Face Society, a sort of half cult/half criminal organization obsessed with masks and identity. He wasn't terribly well executed when he first appeared, but there was potential there that could've been expanded upon. Except they didn't. They got rid of any interesting aspect of the character and just turned him into a torture happy sadist/generic mobster with a dumb look. He became completely one note and lacking in personality, and whenever I see him in a story now, I just wonder why the writer is using him as opposed to the Penguin or some other mobster character with more personality.

First, you are right.

Second, stories you see now are written by Scott Snyder and he is not so good telling good Batstories (he has done a few good ones but not latelly and for a long time).

Third, unfortunatly this happens to lots of vilains. They loose their personnality. Like Killer Croc for exemple.

Forth, I could recommand you Batman Adventures (vol.2) : Shadows & Masks

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worst batman villain is penguin

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Black Mask: Strategy Slime

Whoa, I disagree with the comments posted here, so let me (ahem) take this peaceful opportunity to the be the Devil's Advocate of sorts.

1. Penguin is meant to be harmless-looking but annoying and creepy, so we may be jumping the gun by liberally citing him as a 'meaningless villain.'

2. Black Mask may be uni-dimensional, but he is also (arguably) Gotham's most menacing organized crime leader when compared to the Red Hood Gang (just a slick band of fierce bandits), Falcone (a mafia 'ghoul'), Talia's Leviathan (a Machiavellian crime 'troop'), or other loosely-referenced random tribal groups such as Penguin's morbid Red Triangle Gang (from Burton's Batman Returns).

In other words, Black Mask symbolizes the sort of crime coordination coloring that makes Gotham's "criminal macro-mind" reminiscent of 'teamplay thrill events' such as the 1994 World Cup (a very cool soccer tournament in which Italy's gifted Baggio surged his nation ahead only to be cruelly humbled by Brazil's cunning Romario).

In my opinion, Black Mask Roman Sionis (and the somewhat devilish Jeremiah Arkham to a lesser extent) provides Gotham 'background neon' and is therefore a tad under-rated/under-appreciated. I would rather pick on the Bat-villain Clock King (an eerie but somewhat clichéd weirdo)!

1994 World Cup

No Caption Provided

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Roman.

Beata

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By WarlordEternal

I agree with Abishai100. Black Mask is actually pretty underrated and underused.

If you want a damn good portrayal of the character read Batman: Under the Hood or Genevieve Valentine's Catwoman run.

SionistheBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Mask: Strategy Slime

Whoa, I disagree with the comments posted here, so let me (ahem) take this peaceful opportunity to the be the Devil's Advocate of sorts.

1. Penguin is meant to be harmless-looking but annoying and creepy, so we may be jumping the gun by liberally citing him as a 'meaningless villain.'

2. Black Mask may be uni-dimensional, but he is also (arguably) Gotham's most menacing organized crime leader when compared to the Red Hood Gang (just a slick band of fierce bandits), Falcone (a mafia 'ghoul'), Talia's Leviathan (a Machiavellian crime 'troop'), or other loosely-referenced random tribal groups such as Penguin's morbid Red Triangle Gang (from Burton's Batman Returns).

In other words, Black Mask symbolizes the sort of crime coordination coloring that makes Gotham's "criminal macro-mind" reminiscent of 'teamplay thrill events' such as the 1994 World Cup (a very cool soccer tournament in which Italy's gifted Baggio surged his nation ahead only to be cruelly humbled by Brazil's cunning Romario).

In my opinion, Black Mask Roman Sionis (and the somewhat devilish Jeremiah Arkham to a lesser extent) provides Gotham 'background neon' and is therefore a tad under-rated/under-appreciated. I would rather pick on the Bat-villain Clock King (an eerie but somewhat clichéd weirdo)!

1994 World Cup

No Caption Provided

100% agree. I love Black Mask and Penguin.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By XLR87T3

@sionistheboss: You can reply to this comment but not the CAV we're in?

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah Black Mask is sorta lame.

@xlr87t3 said:

@sionistheboss: You can reply to this comment but not the CAV we're in?

Don't be that guy.

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard he killed a man and then tortured his wife by making her eating his flesh.

SionistheBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akshsarpanch: Yeah it was Holly Robinson. Black Mask kidnapped her and her husband, tortured the husband to death, and made her eat her dead husbands eyes. Pretty sinister.