Yog-Sothoth vs. Chaos Gods

Avatar image for thegoddamnmasterchief
TheGoddamnMasterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yog-Sothoth comes to consider the Warp and the Chaos Gods a threat and attempts to eradicate them. What happens?

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we talking about classic H. P. Lovecraft Yog-Sothoth? Lovecraft's work is very vague when it comes to power levels. There is no feats, other than claims and statements, vague too by the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc9f423d4bb9
deactivated-5cc9f423d4bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chaos Gods or tie.

Chaos Gods = Multiversal level beings

Yog Sothoth = Multiversal(?) level being

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yog-Sothoth takes this. He has bubbles.

*pop*

Avatar image for the_last_kryptonian
the_last_kryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not familiar with Yog-Sothoth. Can anyone provide some feats?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yog-Sothoth is supposedly the greatest of the Outer Gods (though some debate it may be Azathoth). Honestly, like most of Lovecraft's pantheon, he doesn't have concrete 'feats'. Just vague references to his power being beyond human comprehension and all that jazz. The Dunwich Horror describes Yog-Sothoth as being omnipresent and inhabiting the past, present, and future at the same time. He's also described as 'the gate' - presumably the gate that links our ordinary, human plane of existence to incomprehensible planes beyond.

Or something.

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

vampiricshaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

do the chaos gods really have feats of their own or is it only their minions meaning daemons and chaos spacemarines and cultists

Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@the_last_kryptonian said:

Yog-Sothoth is supposedly the greatest of the Outer Gods (though some debate it may be Azathoth). Honestly, like most of Lovecraft's pantheon, he doesn't have concrete 'feats'. Just vague references to his power being beyond human comprehension and all that jazz. The Dunwich Horror describes Yog-Sothoth as being omnipresent and inhabiting the past, present, and future at the same time. He's also described as 'the gate' - presumably the gate that links our ordinary, human plane of existence to incomprehensible planes beyond.

Or something.

I always heard Azathoth was the greatest, what makes you or at least others think Yog-Sothoth is? Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious what your/their reasoning is.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gustofwind

The question of who the greatest of the Old Ones is, as I mentioned, largely debatable. Lovecraft was pretty vague with his pantheon in all his short stories, so there's no real concrete say either way. The closest one we can find is the H.P. Lovecraft Companion, which argues that Yog-Sothoth and Azathoth are co-rulers, each representing opposing principles. Yog-Sothoth represents the infinite worlds, while Azathoth is the center of the universe.

Long story short, at least for my money, I don't think we can definitively say which Outer God is the 'greatest'. I don't think Lovecraft created these entities to fill an established hierarchy, I think they were more like storytelling tools to add atmosphere. But generally, in his work, these are the guys referred to as the 'big guns'.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eisenfauste

@vampiricshaman: Yeah they do I'll see if I can find a link to a thread where a user puts up some good feats for them.

Here is a thread where a user posts feats for Chaos Gods anyone is welcome to check it out, the feats are posted by Pokergeist :P

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yog-Sothoth is essentially on par with Living Tribunal and is easily megaversal to omniversal in scale.

As powerful and awesome as the Chaos Gods are, they are nowhere near Living Tribunal level and are only at best multiversal.

Mismatch.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Azathoth is easily the most powerful of the Outer Gods and is essentially TOAA of the Mythos.

Yog is at best Living Tribunal level.

the_last_kryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwwprod said:

Yog-Sothoth is essentially on par with Living Tribunal and is easily megaversal to omniversal in scale.

As powerful and awesome as the Chaos Gods are, they are nowhere near Living Tribunal level and are only at best multiversal.

Mismatch.

To my knowledge, the Chaos Gods are omnipotent in their own realm.

Also, what makes Yog-Sothoth on par with the Living Tribunal?

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yog-Sothoth is omnipresent, omniscient, and nigh-omnipotent. He is above multiversal. He wins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yog-Sothoth is omnipresent, omniscient, and nigh-omnipotent. He is above multiversal. He wins

"The forms the live-things called Chaos, in their limited little ways of perceiving the omni-verse, swarmed and thrived in this infinite ocean of mind and emotion. The daemon moved with Stele. Waiting, waiting and watching for the moment when the thrashing and chattering of the quarry was at its peak. Only then would it strike, lapping up the absolute perfection of its fear, sinking in rending teeth, tearing it to soul- shreds."
Pg.106 Deus Sanguinius
Chaos is above multiversal too.
jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jwwprod

@andreysemyonov1337 said:

@etheral_dreams said:

"The forms the live-things called Chaos, in their limited little ways of perceiving the omni-verse, swarmed and thrived in this infinite ocean of mind and emotion. The daemon moved with Stele. Waiting, waiting and watching for the moment when the thrashing and chattering of the quarry was at its peak. Only then would it strike, lapping up the absolute perfection of its fear, sinking in rending teeth, tearing it to soul- shreds."
Pg.106 Deus Sanguinius
Chaos is above multiversal too.

What book is that page from?

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwwprod said:

Mismatch.

The Chaos Gods are not omnipotent in the Warp, they are nigh-omnipotent.

Yog is literally the living embodiment on the Lovecraft omniverse.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwwprod

What book is that page from?

Deus Sanguinius

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jwwprod
the_last_kryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwwprod said:

@jwwprod said:

Mismatch.

The Chaos Gods are not omnipotent in the Warp, they are nigh-omnipotent.

Yog is literally the living embodiment on the Lovecraft omniverse.

Does he have any feats to prove this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No omnipotent in Lovecraft-verse (Azathoth is questionable omnipotent). No omnipotent in Warhammer-verse.

I think that Azathoth >= Yog Sothoth = Warp Gods United.

Vortex1456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwwprod said:

Mismatch.

That's not entirely true, the chaos Gods are connected to millions of universe as the warp is, they can create and destroy universes with thoughts.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortex14 said:

@jwwprod said:

Mismatch.

That's not entirely true, the chaos Gods are connected to millions of universe as the warp is, they can create and destroy universes with thoughts.

That would make the Chaos Gods multiversal not omniversal like Yog-Sothoth.

Vortex1456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwwprod said:

@vortex14 said:

@jwwprod said:

Mismatch.

That would make the Chaos Gods multiversal not omniversal like Yog-Sothoth.

This guy @aressword keeps saying WW can beat the Emperor. The Chaos Gods are far above multiversal, omniversal ? Maybe, But I am not sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one has rights to true omniverse. Fictional "omniverse" = multiverse.

Also, i have one quote about omniversal level for Chaos:

Pg.106 Deus Sanguinius

Anyway I think that Yog Sothoth is above Chaos Undivided because he is above infinity-dimensional space-time structure. Chaos Gods are above 9-dimensional space-time structure:

No Caption Provided

andergriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By andergriff

@gustofwind: it is implied that they are equal in their own rights, Azathoth is an event(not a being) of infinite power, and yog-sothoth is space-time.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omnipotent vs Omnipotent in my book = a no call.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all to vague for my liking

Yog-Sothoth is all of reality, all of space and time but the Warp exists outside that nonsense anyways. If anything I am going with Yog because of the Chaos Gods limited influence on realspace but this only stalemates the match

Bastets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chaos gods are max power would stalemate Yog.

Kh0rn3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Dumb question : how accurate is the power level of Yog Sothoth and CG's according VSBW?

Kh0rn3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm going for the CG's because of yog lack of feats tho

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@kh0rn3 said:

Dumb question : how accurate is the power level of Yog Sothoth and CG's according VSBW?

It's just not