Avatar image for k4tzm4n
Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

We all love the battles thread, but unfortunately it's populated with a number of terrible matches. Be it a complete lack of balance or too much to logically debate about, a good deal of the threads here aren't anything to write home about. So Viners, I plead to you, think these questions over before making a thread. I present to you: The Battles Bible.

Creating a thread

  • Is it honestly a fair match? Can you see either combatant winning or are you legitimately torn on who the clear winner is? If not, don't make it.
  • Does the match need a TON of rules to make it remotely fair? If so, don't make it.
  • Is the match between two fairly popular characters? It's likely going to be a dupe, so PLEASE search for it first (if the function on the site doesn't work, use google!). If so, don't make it. Because honestly, the last thing this place needs is ANOTHER Cap vs Batman or Hulk vs Superman.
  • The search function is found on the upper right hand part of the page. Obviously in this case you'll want to select "Battles" under the board drop down and then try searching for the match (ie Hulk vs Superman or Superman vs Hulk). If for some reason this option isn't working, open google or whichever search engine you commonly use. Then, type "comicvine" and after it, the match idea. For example "comicvine Superman vs Hulk" or "comicvine Hulk vs Superman."
  • Do people know about the character you're involving? If he/she/it is very obscure, provide extra details. We all love to learn about new characters, so share with us your knowledge, and if possible, scans.
  • Does your match have more than 14 characters going at it? Odds are this is far too complex and there are way too many variables (not to mention the difficulty in properly balancing such a match). Please try to avoid these (here's looking at you, vague X-Men vs JL threads).
  • Does your match have details? Are the characters current or classic versions? Do they have their standard weapons? Where are they fighting? How far apart do they begin? Are they visible? Are they in character?
  • Spice up your thread with some images. Provide a picture of the characters involved and location if possible.

Posting in a thread

  • Is an old thread a clear spite match and you're bumping it just to point that out? Don't post, just flag it and a mod will likely lock it.
  • Is a new thread a clear spite match and you're posting just to point out it's a mismatch? That's fine, but flag it, too.
  • Do you really want to spend your time on Comicvine just making a series of posts that are "name wins?" If you think a character wins, elaborate a bit. What allows them to win? Superior power? Superior skill? Have they fought in the comics? Recall any feats that help in comics? Help make threads fun again, drop a knowledge bomb and go cold turkey on the "name wins" posts.
  • Is someone being a total jerk in a thread? Don't engage them, flag the post and let a moderator handle it. I know it's tough to resist feeding the trolls, but do your best!
  • Throw away your personal bias. I love Gambit, but I'm not going to say "Gambit, duh!" in Gambit vs Hulk. There's no shame in a character you love losing a battle.
  • Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels. The very same applies to high end feats as well. Don't spam "Spidey beat Firelord, therefore he beats anyone less than Firelord!" You'll get no respect with that silliness.
  • Don't be stubborn and egotistical. No matter how much we know, there's always someone out there that knows more about something else. These debates aren't about winning, they're about learning and sharing your knowledge. Don't foolishly stand by your original stance just because you don't want to "lose." That's nonsense. It far more respectable to admit you were wrong on something than to drag it out.
  • Matches are always assuming the characters face off 10 different times. Not in a row, just what would happen if the encounter took place 10 times. Who wins the majority of that is what's important and why.
  • Take note of the date a post was made. If you see something you disagree with and feel like replying, take a moment to look at the date. It could be years old and that person has changed their mind or is possibly even no longer active. Continue through the thread and join the current convos instead of jumping in the time machine and going back in time.
  • If you're going to bump a very old thread, bring something new to the table. It's rather silly to bump something like "Deadpool vs Wolverine" with a post that only says "Deadpool" if it has been idle for over a year. I assure you, that's not changing any minds.
  • Can you really say a character wins if you know nothing about the other one or your knowledge is just limited to some scans you've seen tossed around? Take advantage of the community's knowledge and ask questions before posting about who you think would win. Otherwise, you're just going to get called out on it and look foolish. You don't want that, right?

Have another important rule you'd like to share? Post it and I'll update the OP!

Moderator
Avatar image for morpheus_
#1 Posted by Morpheus_ (30069 posts) - - Show Bio
I'm moving this to the battles section, since it's much more relevant there.
Avatar image for shawnbaby
#2 Posted by Shawnbaby (11063 posts) - - Show Bio

This should almost be stickied. 

Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#3 Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_: Awesome, thanks. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post it in battles.

Moderator
Avatar image for silver2467
#4 Posted by Silver2467 (16987 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Since I find this relevant: When are you planning on responding to the PM message I sent you? Because in it, I suggested an intriguing battle.
Avatar image for morpheus_
#5 Posted by Morpheus_ (30069 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shawnbaby said:
This should almost be stickied. 
And as of now, it is.
Avatar image for shawnbaby
#6 Edited by Shawnbaby (11063 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:

@Shawnbaby said:

This should almost be stickied. 
And as of now, it is.
Nice. Now if we can only get people to Actually read it before they post.
Avatar image for supreme_marvel
#7 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11575 posts) - - Show Bio

You know all the n00bs (initially wrote b00bs) never read the battle rules. Most of them are kids and most of them think Hulk is the strongest there is. Almost all of them don't read the battle rules, although most of the people on the site have never read the rules anyway.

Morpheus_ for the win. :P

Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#8 Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_: @Shawnbaby: Thank you.

@Silver2467: Sorry, man, I tend to lose track of checking my inbox :(

Moderator
Avatar image for morpheus_
#9 Posted by Morpheus_ (30069 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel said:

Morpheus_ for the win. :P

I have my moments.
Avatar image for silver2467
#10 Posted by Silver2467 (16987 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: No problem. Whenever you reply, I think you will like the idea, and in accordance with this thread's point, it will improve the forum quality to a degree. 
 
And great thread, by the way.
Avatar image for pooty
#11 Posted by pooty (16231 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: That's true. Most have not. Most people(myself included) only look at the rules AFTER our thread has been locked etc. Hell, i only looked at this one because i thought it was Samson vs Moses or something. But this one is so short and precise that if you don't take the time to read this, you don't belong here.

@k4tzm4n: good summary

Avatar image for weaponxx
#12 Posted by weaponxx (1612 posts) - - Show Bio

Well said!

Avatar image for supreme_marvel
#13 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11575 posts) - - Show Bio

To bad when creating a battle we don't have a link to these threads in big bold text. Does the list of battles that may have already been created still appear underneath the intended battle thread a person creates still?

Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#14 Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: I updated the title so hopefully it'll catch more eyes.

@weaponx: @pooty: @Silver2467: Thank you.

Moderator
Avatar image for supreme_marvel
#15 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11575 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: That's better. Next new battle takes place that I see is getting directed here.

Avatar image for jeanroygrant
#16 Posted by jeanroygrant (20442 posts) - - Show Bio

@weaponx said:

Well said!

Avatar image for jedixman
#17 Posted by JediXMan (36740 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

  • Do you really want to spend your time on Comicvine just making a series of posts that are "name wins?" If you think a character wins, elaborate a bit. What allows them to win? Superior power? Superior skill? Have they fought in the comics? Recall any feats that help in comics? Help make threads fun again, drop a knowledge bomb and go cold turkey on the "name wins" posts.

I'm lazy; sue me.

Though I actually will back it up if I'm asked - unless it's just really, really obvious.

Suggestion: you should talk about feats and making up things about characters.

Moderator
Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#18 Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanroygrant: Thank you.

@JediXMan: Excellent suggestion. I'll add a tab and highlight it for you when I'm done.

Moderator
Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: Updated!

  • Throw away your personal bias. I love Gambit, but I'm not going to say "Gambit, duh!" in Gambit vs Hulk. There's no shame in a character you love losing a battle.
  • Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels.
  • Don't be stubborn and egotistical. No matter how much we know, there's always someone out there that knows more about something else. These debates aren't about winning, they're about learning and sharing your knowledge. Don't foolishly stand by your original stance just because you don't want to "lose." That's nonsense. It far more respectable to admit you were wrong on something than to drag it out.
Moderator
Avatar image for shawnbaby
#20 Posted by Shawnbaby (11063 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:

@JediXMan: Updated!

  • Throw away your personal bias. I love Gambit, but I'm not going to say "Gambit, duh!" in Gambit vs Hulk. There's no shame in a character you love losing a battle.
  • Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels.
  • Don't be stubborn and egotistical. No matter how much we know, there's always someone out there that knows more about something else. These debates aren't about winning, they're about learning and sharing your knowledge. Don't foolishly stand by your original stance just because you don't want to "lose." That's nonsense. It far more respectable to admit you were wrong on something than to drag it out.
These are worthy indeed
Avatar image for tifalockhart
#21 Posted by TifaLockhart (17655 posts) - - Show Bio

Great job. I can think of something else though: what about using double standards and/or cherry-picking highend showings exclusively?

Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#22 Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia: Thank you.

Manipulating feats is in there:

Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels.
Moderator
Avatar image for pooty
#23 Posted by pooty (16231 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia: Give an example of a double standard so i can see if we are thinking of the same thing?

Avatar image for tifalockhart
#24 Posted by TifaLockhart (17655 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: "There's no proof Superman was using his superspeed against Lobo." "Thor hit Iron Man, who is faster than Wolverine, so Wolverine being faster than Thor doesn't count."

Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#25 Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia: Yeah, that kind of ties in with over-abusing A-B-C logic. I was going to add something for that eventually.

Moderator
Avatar image for saren
#26 Posted by Saren (27532 posts) - - Show Bio

k4tz has ascended.

Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#27 Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Would you like to be the founding member of the church of k4tz?

Moderator
Avatar image for bluetoothbully
#28 Posted by acer51 (2695 posts) - - Show Bio

Helpfull i didn't know we were supposed to grade with a 1/10 scale.

Avatar image for erik
#29 Posted by Erik (32504 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n:

Gambit could beat Hulk.

Avatar image for shawnbaby
#30 Posted by Shawnbaby (11063 posts) - - Show Bio
@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n:

Gambit could beat Hulk.

This is joke, right? You is just having the fun with us?
Avatar image for tifalockhart
#31 Posted by TifaLockhart (17655 posts) - - Show Bio

In fiction, Gambit could beat the Hulk. I don't think it's bloody likely though.

Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#32 Edited by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

If this legitimately turns into a Gambit vs Hulk discussion then you're spitting on the entire point of this thread :(

Moderator
Avatar image for erik
#33 Posted by Erik (32504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n:

Gambit could beat Hulk.

This is joke, right? You is just having the fun with us?

The better question should be, "How can Hulk realistically win?".

Avatar image for k4tzm4n
#34 Edited by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n:

Gambit could beat Hulk.

This is joke, right? You is just having the fun with us?

The better question should be, "How can Hulk realistically win?".

I beg of you, stop this before it turns into an avalanche. Take this silliness to the appropriate thread:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/gambit-vs-hulk/1735/

(which should promptly be locked btw, lol)

Moderator
Avatar image for thehighchild
#35 Posted by thehighchild (10 posts) - - Show Bio

yea thnx, i also noticed a flood of pointless matches to debate about ty for letting them know that they are being noticed lol

Avatar image for beatboks1
#36 Edited by beatboks1 (8360 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n:

I'd add something about making assumptions on levels based on respect threads solely. Or at least using scans from respect threads if your not sure of the context. The number of times i've seen scans offered to "support" one side of an argument that when taken into context actually support the other is amazing.

Also make allowances for possible varying content (from what you think) based on cultural and language differences. I've been guilty a few times of getting a little miffed over something that was merely misunderstanding. It's not always easy to tell sarcasm on the net and it is a World Wide W, so you may not be conversing with someone who is native to your own tongue.

Oh and on the balancing of feats point I'd add a little thing about High end feats that are inconsistent with the majority and what qualified them

Avatar image for static_shock
#37 Posted by Static Shock (51019 posts) - - Show Bio

Just like the Battle Forum Rules, watch how new users will easily ignore this.

Avatar image for silver2467
#38 Posted by Silver2467 (16987 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a huge epidemic or anything, but you might remark on not directly responding to posts made years ago. It can be tiresome when users bump threads by replying to old posts, and it can be equally as tiresome when you suddenly have a message in your inbox about a reply to something you said back in the day.

Avatar image for supreme_marvel
#39 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11575 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver2467 said:

Not a huge epidemic or anything, but you might remark on not directly responding to posts made years ago. It can be tiresome when users bump threads by replying to old posts, and it can be equally as tiresome when you suddenly have a message in your inbox about a reply to something you said back in the day.

Agreed. I hate seeing a battle with many pages, some one comes in with a name for the victor and adds nothing to the battle.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (44943 posts) - - Show Bio

I think these are the most important rules, even some Mods need to remember theses 

  • Throw away your personal bias. I love Gambit, but I'm not going to say "Gambit, duh!" in Gambit vs Hulk. There's no shame in a character you love losing a battle.
  • Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels.
  • Don't be stubborn and egotistical. No matter how much we know, there's always someone out there that knows more about something else. These debates aren't about winning, they're about learning and sharing your knowledge. Don't foolishly stand by your original stance just because you don't want to "lose." That's nonsense. It far more respectable to admit you were wrong on something than to drag it out.
  • Online
    Avatar image for harddrivexxii
    #41 Posted by Harddrivexxii (524 posts) - - Show Bio

    @k4tzm4n: Much respect - well written. The standard we should all follow.

    Avatar image for k4tzm4n
    #42 Posted by k4tzm4n (39993 posts) - - Show Bio

    @Harddrivexxii: Thank you!

    Moderator
    Avatar image for captainrodgers
    #43 Posted by CaptainRodgers (1658 posts) - - Show Bio

    @k4tzm4n said:

    • Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels.

    k4tz using this example = instant victory in my eyes .

    As a self-confessed DP fanboy myself , you would not believe how annoying it is when people bring this up or any DP showing post Daniel Way taking over .

    Avatar image for pooty
    #44 Posted by pooty (16231 posts) - - Show Bio

    @spiderbat87 said:

    I think these are the most important rules, even some Mods need to remember theses
  • Throw away your personal bias. I love Gambit, but I'm not going to say "Gambit, duh!" in Gambit vs Hulk. There's no shame in a character you love losing a battle.
  • Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels.
  • Don't be stubborn and egotistical. No matter how much we know, there's always someone out there that knows more about something else. These debates aren't about winning, they're about learning and sharing your knowledge. Don't foolishly stand by your original stance just because you don't want to "lose." That's nonsense. It far more respectable to admit you were wrong on something than to drag it out.
  • even some Mods(and others) need to remember these.

    Don't be stubborn and egotistical

    Don't foolishly stand by your original stance just because you don't want to "lose

    admit you were wrong on something

    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    #45 Posted by Deranged Midget (18345 posts) - - Show Bio

    @Supreme Marvel said:

    @Silver2467 said:

    Not a huge epidemic or anything, but you might remark on not directly responding to posts made years ago. It can be tiresome when users bump threads by replying to old posts, and it can be equally as tiresome when you suddenly have a message in your inbox about a reply to something you said back in the day.

    Agreed. I hate seeing a battle with many pages, some one comes in with a name for the victor and adds nothing to the battle.

    Couldn't have said it better myself. It's incredibly irritating to see especially due to the reason that new users just want a bigger post count.

    Avatar image for warlock2792
    #46 Posted by WARLOCK2792 (18068 posts) - - Show Bio

    @Supreme Marvel said:

    You know all the n00bs (initially wrote b00bs) never read the battle rules. Most of them are kids and most of them think Hulk is the strongest there is. Almost all of them don't read the battle rules, although most of the people on the site have never read the rules anyway.

    Morpheus_ for the win. :P

    ...................................REEEEALLY?!

    Avatar image for jedixman
    #47 Posted by JediXMan (36740 posts) - - Show Bio
    @White Mage said:

    @Supreme Marvel said:

    You know all the n00bs (initially wrote b00bs) never read the battle rules. Most of them are kids and most of them think Hulk is the strongest there is. Almost all of them don't read the battle rules, although most of the people on the site have never read the rules anyway.

    Morpheus_ for the win. :P

    ...................................REEEEALLY?!

    I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered the possibility.
     
    I even made a thread about it.
    Moderator
    Avatar image for warlock2792
    #48 Posted by WARLOCK2792 (18068 posts) - - Show Bio

    @JediXMan said:

    @White Mage said:

    @Supreme Marvel said:

    You know all the n00bs (initially wrote b00bs) never read the battle rules. Most of them are kids and most of them think Hulk is the strongest there is. Almost all of them don't read the battle rules, although most of the people on the site have never read the rules anyway.

    Morpheus_ for the win. :P

    ...................................REEEEALLY?!

    I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered the possibility.

    I even made a thread about it.

    LMAO

    I was a kid when I joined this site. That's why I was sensitive about revealing my age. What can I say, my wisdom/wit/language/ are beyond my years. However, these people are far too cray cray for me to think of kids...........I feel that they are trolling adults.

    Avatar image for slimj87d
    #49 Posted by SlimJ87D (12472 posts) - - Show Bio

    I think we have way too many stickies for rules and advice. Maybe we should make this the most up to date fact and edit the OP and combining the other ones. With headers of course.

    Main Header

    Header

    Sub header

    Description

    Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    #50 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13339 posts) - - Show Bio

    This is fantastic.