Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Sauron vs. Smaug (130 votes)

Sauron 73%
Smaug 27%

Sauron has ring and with his physical form. Sauron can take help from his army if he needs.

Fight takes place on; Lonely Mountain.

• 
Thanofleeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why not take away Smaug's wings and call it a day?

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Razul

Sauron is too powerful for Smaug. He has far more impressive feats.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sauron should win.

mikep12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sauron with ease

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rogueshadow  Moderator

Sauron.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sauron

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What can Sauron do to him lol? Smaug fries him.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Erkan12

@bigcimmerian said:

• Yeah, Sauron's mace absolutely strong, but will it work on Smaug's armor ? Sauron has to make some spells on Smaug.
  • On the other hand, Smaug's fire can destroy power rings, but not the one ring. So Smaug has to fight with claws and teeth for destroying Sauron.
bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12 said:

@bigcimmerian said:

• Yeah, Sauron's mace absolutely strong, but will it work on Smaug's armor ? Sauron has to make some spells on Smaug.
  • On the other hand, Smaug's fire can destroy power rings, but not the one ring. So Smaug has to fight with claws and teeth for destroying Sauron.

Sauron was defeated by f***ing giant dog in the first age. I know it was ringless Sauron but still it was f***ing giant dog lol. Then he barely defeated Elendil and Gil Galad and was defeated when mortal Isildur cut off his finger. Smaug would absolutely destroy him. But there is a twist. If Sauron is in his shadow form then I say it's stalemate.

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: There is a reason Morgoth made Sauron his chief lieutenant and not a Dragon.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigcimmerian

@razul said:

@bigcimmerian: There is a reason Morgoth made Sauron his chief lieutenant and not a Dragon.

There is a reason why Morgoth was using dragons as his main attack force instead of Sauron. They were capable of wiping out entire armies. And Sauron was defeated by giant dog lol.

Darkbiscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sauron could easily melt his mortal form, but not the one ring.
I'd give Smaug the advantage in just about everything, maybe not magic.

Shockwiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shockwiz

Sauron curbstomp.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigcimmerian
Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Razul

@bigcimmerian: Because there was only one Sauron and many winged dragons. Why would Morgoth throw away his most valuable asset when he has an entire army at his disposal? The dragons were a great force but Morgoth's army was still defeated. If I remember correctly, Sauron lasted longer than Ancalagon who was the most powerful dragon. And if you are referring to Huan as the 'big dog' he was a very good fighter himself and Sauron was not as powerful then as he became during the late Second Age.

The reality is, Sauron has far better feats than Smaug which is mainly why he wins.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dorukesin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sauron ftw

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Erkan12

@razul said:

And if you are referring to Huan as the 'big dog' he was a very good fighter himself and Sauron was not as powerful then as he became during the late Second Age.

Also it is stated that Huan was big as a small house. And i agree that he was a very good fighter, IIRC he killed the strongest werewolf.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bigcimmerian

@erkan12 said:

@razul said:

And if you are referring to Huan as the 'big dog' he was a very good fighter himself and Sauron was not as powerful then as he became during the late Second Age.

Also it is stated that Huan was big as a small house. And i agree that he was a very good fighter, IIRC he killed the strongest werewolf.

Smaug is 10 times bigger than house.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Erkan12

@bigcimmerian said:

@erkan12 said:

@razul said:

But is he fast as Huan on land ? I doubt.

Darkbiscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Darkbiscuit

@erkan12 said:

@razul said:

Try 200x

@erkan12 said:

@bigcimmerian said:

@erkan12 said:

@razul said:

Hate it when OP's take sides. Pls don't make threads if you have made a decision/biased

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bigcimmerian

@erkan12 said:

@bigcimmerian said:

@erkan12 said:

@razul said:

Yes, of course he is. If you saw ending scene of Hobbit DoS, you'd know that. Of course if Smaug is the same size as Huan, dog would probably be faster, but Smaug's size gives him the edge in speed too, as he can cover more space with one step lol.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Erkan12

@darkbiscuit said:

Hate it when OP's take sides. Pls don't make threads if you have made a decision/biased

Lol. take it easy... I didn't say Sauron stomps. And i doubt he can win.

I said Huan was not a regular dog. And Sauron was not at his strongest form without ring.

Darkbiscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12 said:

@darkbiscuit said:

Lol. Easy... I didn't say Sauron stomps. And i doubt he can win.

I just said Huan was not regular dog. And Sauron was not strong without ring.

You brought down Smaug's speed, gave feats that added to Sauron's side, and added stats that benefited Sauron's side.

@razul said:

@bigcimmerian: Because there was only one Sauron and many winged dragons. Why would Morgoth throw away his most valuable asset when he has an entire army at his disposal? The dragons were a great force but Morgoth's army was still defeated. If I remember correctly, Sauron lasted longer than Ancalagon who was the most powerful dragon. And if you are referring to Huan as the 'big dog' he was a very good fighter himself and Sauron was not as powerful then as he became during the late Second Age.

The reality is, Sauron has far better feats than Smaug which is mainly why he wins.

Sauron was not "his most valuable asset".
And who were they defeated by? Anybody that wouldn't of had stomped Sauron? Thought so.
I could last longer than a tank by hiding: there is no credit to that feat.
You only listed one feat: him "lasting longer". Which in itself is misleading. Try wiping out an entire nation effortlessly. Try smashing through the gates of Erebor - quite easily - by just running at them. Try surviving molten gold. Any dragon fire feat would apply to Smaug. Any dragon durability, strength, and speed feat would apply to Smaug; bar any specifically stated to be special feat: A.K.A. almost none.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Erkan12
@darkbiscuit said:

You brought down Smaug's speed, gave feats that added to Sauron's side, and added stats that benefited Sauron's side.

Then i take it back :)

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Razul

@darkbiscuit: If you don't know who won the War of Wrath or who defeated the dragons then your points are invalid. The winged dragons were taken down by Earindil who was the father of Elrond. He also had help from the eagles as well so actually Sauron defeats them quite handily due to the amount of creatures he had at his service. I don't believe a debate over the War of Wrath is necessary anyway because little is known of it. Let it be known that Sauron was alive at the time of The War of Wrath which makes him more experiencend than Smaug anyway, I relate to experience because TWoW was the greatest war that ever took place in Arda. And the only feats Smaug has is capturing Erebor and destroying Dale. The fact that Sauron lay hidden from some of the wisest and most powerful Maiar of the Third Age is a great enough feat itself. He almost conquered all of Middle Earth in the second age until he was pushed back by the elves and numenoreans IIRC. He even managed to infiltrate the Numenoreans and turn some of them to worship Morgoth until he attempted to invade and was finally defeated by Isildur. Considering he managed to literally attach himself to the one ring means he must have had an incredible amount of dark magic at his disposal.If these were the movie versions then I would agree that Smaug takes it. But due to the fact Sauron accomplished far more than Smaug means that he takes it. I hate to relate to the movie, but during the events of the first hobbit film, note how gandalf says something along the lines of 'there is something far beyond the evil of smaug at work'. Whatever he said it was a clear reference to Sauron or the 'Necromancer' if you prefer, I would be happy for someone to correct me. This quote itself means the hobbit movies supports my argument, as does the EU side of Tolkien's world. You might consider doing research on Sauron before dismissing him.

Sorry for the long comment but I would rather get my point across than flood the thread with hundreds of posts.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razul

you can analyse both movies and books.

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Razul

@erkan12: I don't think he killed the strongest werewolf because I think that was actually Sauron himself who took the form of the greatest werewolf ever seen. Unless you meant the greatest werewolf before Sauron. Though Huan did manage to defeat Sauron nevertheless.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the guy who said '' OMFG SAURON IS MAIA, MAIAS ARE GODS HE WINS " Radagast the Brown is also Maia. Would he stand a chance against Smaug?

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Razul

@bigcimmerian: You realise not all the Maiar are on the same level -.- If it were true, why didn't Radagast fight Sauron? Or why didn't Gandalf stalemate the Witch King of Angmar? All these beings are Maiar...

Darkbiscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razul said:

@darkbiscuit: If you don't know who won the War of Wrath or who defeated the dragons then your points are invalid.
When did I say that I didn't? It was a rhetorical analysis.
The winged dragons were taken down by Earindil who was the father of Elrond. He also had help from the eagles as well so actually Sauron defeats them quite handily due to the amount of creatures he had at his service.
We're talking about Sauron: NOT Sauron and his minions
I don't believe a debate over the War of Wrath is necessary anyway because little is known of it. Let it be known that Sauron was alive at the time of The War of Wrath which makes him more experiencend than Smaug anyway, I relate to experience because TWoW was the greatest war that ever took place in Arda.
Fair enough.
And the only feats Smaug has is capturing Erebor and destroying Dale.
Again: Any dragon durability/str/speed feats apply to him; less it was a greater Dragon.
The fact that Sauron lay hidden from some of the wisest and most powerful Maiar of the Third Age is a great enough feat itself.
They said themselves that it was because they were blind to it: they weren't necessarily spending all of their days doing what they should've been doing.
He almost conquered all of Middle Earth in the second age until he was pushed back by the elves and numenoreans IIRC. He even managed to infiltrate the Numenoreans and turn some of them to worship Morgoth until he attempted to invade and was finally defeated by Isildur.
"Almost" feats don't have much hold. Smaug could've done the same thing with that size of an army. Again: we're arguing Sauron vs Smaug; not Sauron and his minions vs Smaug. Bringing up army feats holds no reverence here.
Considering he managed to literally attach himself to the one ring means he must have had an incredible amount of dark magic at his disposal.
....no
If these were the movie versions then I would agree that Smaug takes it. But due to the fact Sauron accomplished far more than Smaug means that he takes it. I hate to relate to the movie, but during the events of the first hobbit film, note how gandalf says something along the lines of 'there is something far beyond the evil of smaug at work'.
I don't remember that?
Whatever he said it was a clear reference to Sauron or the 'Necromancer' if you prefer, I would be happy for someone to correct me. This quote itself means the hobbit movies supports my argument, as does the EU side of Tolkien's world. You might consider doing research on Sauron before dismissing him.
I do remember the Necromancer thing. Although I don't think he said anything about Smaug. What makes you think that I don't know Sauron? All you've done is listed army feats; nothing that he has done alone.

Sorry for the long comment but I would rather get my point across than flood the thread with hundreds of posts.

leito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By leito

@razul said:

@erkan12: I don't think he killed the strongest werewolf because I think that was actually Sauron himself who took the form of the greatest werewolf ever seen. Unless you meant the greatest werewolf before Sauron. Though Huan did manage to defeat Sauron nevertheless.

Yes, Huan killed (and was killed in the process, Tolkien-style) the largest werewolf of Arda, Carcharoth. Before that, Sauron disguised himself as a large wolf, knowing that Huan's destiny was to be killed by the largest wolf but it did not work.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razul said:

@bigcimmerian: You realise not all the Maiar are on the same level -.- If it were true, why didn't Radagast fight Sauron? Or why didn't Gandalf stalemate the Witch King of Angmar? All these beings are Maiar...

Witch King is not Maia.

Avatar image for alessandro_souzamarques
alessandro_souzamarques

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razul said:

@darkbiscuit: If you don't know who won the War of Wrath or who defeated the dragons then your points are invalid.
The winged dragons were taken down by Earindil who was the father of Elrond. He also had help from the eagles as well so actually Sauron defeats them quite handily due to the amount of creatures he had at his service.
I don't believe a debate over the War of Wrath is necessary anyway because little is known of it. Let it be known that Sauron was alive at the time of The War of Wrath which makes him more experiencend than Smaug anyway, I relate to experience because TWoW was the greatest war that ever took place in Arda.
Fair enough.
Again: Any dragon durability/str/speed feats apply to him; less it was a greater Dragon.
The fact that Sauron lay hidden from some of the wisest and most powerful Maiar of the Third Age is a great enough feat itself.
They said themselves that it was because they were blind to it: they weren't necessarily spending all of their days doing what they should've been doing.
He almost conquered all of Middle Earth in the second age until he was pushed back by the elves and numenoreans IIRC. He even managed to infiltrate the Numenoreans and turn some of them to worship Morgoth until he attempted to invade and was finally defeated by Isildur.
"Almost" feats don't have much hold. Smaug could've done the same thing with that size of an army. Again: we're arguing Sauron vs Smaug; not Sauron and his minions vs Smaug. Bringing up army feats holds no reverence here.
Considering he managed to literally attach himself to the one ring means he must have had an incredible amount of dark magic at his disposal.
....no
If these were the movie versions then I would agree that Smaug takes it. But due to the fact Sauron accomplished far more than Smaug means that he takes it. I hate to relate to the movie, but during the events of the first hobbit film, note how gandalf says something along the lines of 'there is something far beyond the evil of smaug at work'.
I don't remember that?
Whatever he said it was a clear reference to Sauron or the 'Necromancer' if you prefer, I would be happy for someone to correct me. This quote itself means the hobbit movies supports my argument, as does the EU side of Tolkien's world. You might consider doing research on Sauron before dismissing him.
I do remember the Necromancer thing. Although I don't think he said anything about Smaug. What makes you think that I don't know Sauron? All you've done is listed army feats; nothing that he has done alone.

To be fair OP said Sauron can use his army.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Someone needs to come up with the definitive hierarchy of power in the tolkien-verse. On one hand Sauron is basically set up to be the main villain of the LOTR era and is meant to be this all powerful motherf*cker. Yet Gandalf isn't scared to face up to him, and even personally guarded his.. crystal ball I guess. And then add in the fact that Gandalf wouldn't even attempt to breath the same air as Smaug unless he was planning to get roasted. Just doesn't make sense.

Darkbiscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbiscuit said:

@razul said:

Fair enough.
....no
I don't remember that?

To be fair OP said Sauron can use his army.

On the level that this guy is saying: It'd be a mismatched stomp. Within the limits of it not being a stomp army: Smaug wins.

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Razul

@darkbiscuit: I can use the feats of the armies Mordor because the OP says Sauron can use his army for help. I know you didn't say anything on the War of Wrath however this is an underrated feat of Sauron's. The fact that Sauron survived a war in which millions were killed is a massive achievement. The dragons did not survive and Sauron did. Ancalagon, who was far bigger and more powerful than Smaug did not survive. I'm not dismissing the winged dragons, they were an awesome power in Middle Earth. And I think the fact that Sauron almost conquered Middle Earth is a great feat. He went far beyond the great cities like Minas Tritith perhaps Erebor but i'm not sure that Erebor was around at that point. It wouldn't matter anyway because the dwarves fled from him into the Misty Mountains. And forging the ring was a personal feat of Sauron's. That kind of dark magic had not been seen since the time of Morgoth. The quote I referred to is at the part where the Dwarves visit Rivendell and Gandalf meets with Saruman and the other council members.

So actually, I have listed that Sauron manipulated the Numenoreans, forged a powerful ring, raised an army of thousands far beyond the number of any elven or dwarven army. And if that is not convincing enough, Sauron transformed into the greatest werewolf ever seen, but he was defeated by the 'big dog' as people call Huan here. Several times I believe he led Morgoth's army to victory, he even convinced the Numenorean King to attack the Valar. The supreme god, Eru, had to intervene to stop Sauron from succeeding, I think this is more impressive than anything Smaug has ever done as Eru never stopped Smaug from taking the Lonely Mountain. But I guess you are entitled to believe otherwise.

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: I believe he is. I apologise if I am incorrect. But I think I proved my point about the whole Maiar thing.

Darkbiscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Darkbiscuit

@razul said:

@darkbiscuit: I can use the feats of the armies Mordor because the OP says Sauron can use his army for help.
The army feats you're using would stomp Smaug. Why would you purposely make this a stomp?
I know you didn't say anything on the War of Wrath however this is an underrated feat of Sauron's. The fact that Sauron survived a war in which millions were killed is a massive achievement.
Not really...?
The dragons did not survive and Sauron did. Ancalagon, who was far bigger and more powerful than Smaug did not survive.
The dragons were the main fighting force: he wasn't.
"far bigger and more powerful" = a bigger target and more of a reason to take him down over Sauron. Also, why are you trying to compare Smaug to Ancalagon?
I'm not dismissing the winged dragons, they were an awesome power in Middle Earth. And I think the fact that Sauron almost conquered Middle Earth is a great feat.
With a giant ass army. How will any army of even a fraction of that size fit on the Lonely Mountain?
He went far beyond the great cities like Minas Tritith perhaps Erebor but i'm not sure that Erebor was around at that point.
Can you retstate this? I don't see who/what/why you mean.
It wouldn't matter anyway because the dwarves fled from him into the Misty Mountains. And forging the ring was a personal feat of Sauron's. That kind of dark magic had not been seen since the time of Morgoth.
So now you're comparing Morgoth to Sauron? Please explain this. No and no.
The quote I referred to is at the part where the Dwarves visit Rivendell and Gandalf meets with Saruman and the other council members.
Aaaaaaaah. Again: I don't think that Smaug was mentioned. Been a while though.

So actually, I have listed that Sauron manipulated the Numenoreans
A TP feat that dragons (especially one of Smaug's power) can achieve easily.
forged a powerful ring,
raised an army of thousands far beyond the number of any elven or dwarven army.
How is spending years raising a small army (by today's standards) say anything? He didn't even do it all by hand; let alone all at once.
And if that is not convincing enough, Sauron transformed into the greatest werewolf ever seen but he was defeated by the 'big dog' as people call Huan here.
That wasn't Sauron if I remember correctly: and that'd be a huge blunder on my part to forget; so I doubt so.
Several times I believe he led Morgoth's army to victory he even convinced the Numenorean King to attack the Valar. The supreme god, Eru, had to intervene to stop Sauron from succeeding.
The threat was Morgoth's army: NOT SAURON. Again: army feats. Show me Sauron feats; or feats of an army that would be used here; and for damn sure not Morgoth's army.

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: My bad you are correct, but you get my point about the whole Maiar thing. If all the Maiar were the same strength, Radagast could stalemate Sauron which sounds ridiculous.

Darkbiscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razul: Who said that they were? o.O

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbiscuit: I admit that nobody said that, but it was implied to a great extent.

Darkbiscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Darkbiscuit

@razul said:

@darkbiscuit: I admit that nobody said that, but it was implied to a great extent.

That Maiar are all the same strength?!?!?!

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razul said:

They are not all the same strength, but I've seen people saying that Sauron wins cause he's Maia. Morgoth was Valar when he ran away from Ungoliant.

Razul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: Ungloliant had become stronger at that time and Morgoth was weaker which is why Gothmog and his friends saved Morgoth's ass.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@bigcimmerian said:

@erkan12 said:

@razul said:

Sauron lost for a reason:

Prophecy stated that Huan was to be defeated by the greatest wolf. Sauron, knowing the prophecy, took a huge wolf form, larger than any known to the point. But the prophecy applied to carcharoth of the red maw, who was unborn at the time. The defeat was a plot point... not because he was weaker than huan.

@bigcimmerian said:
@razul said:

They are not all the same strength, but I've seen people saying that Sauron wins cause he's Maia. Morgoth was Valar when he ran away from Ungoliant.

And how does running away from ungoliant change a lot? Ungoliant is one of the oddities of Arda, like tom bombadil (not saying they are equally strong), not even the vala are sure of her origins. She's not from the world and Her unlight was strong enough to bewilder the vala chasing her and melkor.

Melkor had just finished his battle with feanor, while ungoliant was massively amped from drinking wells of varda and sap of the two trees (which made the freaking sun) It's not like she was directly stronger than melkor.. he had gotten weaker at the time.

Edit: Uh oh. I forgot my actual point in correcting this 0_0

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razul said:

@bigcimmerian: Ungloliant had become stronger at that time and Morgoth was weaker which is why Gothmog and his friends saved Morgoth's ass.

All excuses.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian said:

@erkan12 said:

@razul said:

Sauron lost for a reason:

Prophecy stated that Huan was to be defeated by the greatest wolf. Sauron, knowing the prophecy, took a huge wolf form, larger than any known to the point. But the prophecy applied to carcharoth of the red maw, who was unborn at the time. The defeat was a plot point... not because he was weaker than huan.

@bigcimmerian said:
@razul said:

And how does running away from ungoliant change a lot? Ungoliant is one of the oddities of Arda, like tom bombadil (not saying they are equally strong), not even the vala are sure of her origins. She's not from the world and Her unlight was strong enough to bewilder the vala chasing her and melkor.

Melkor had just finished his battle with feanor, while ungoliant was massively amped from drinking wells of varda and sap of the two trees (which made the freaking sun) It's not like she was directly stronger than melkor.. he had gotten weaker at the time.

Edit: Uh oh. I forgot my actual point in correcting this 0_0

All excuses. It doesn't matter if Prophecy said that. If he's as powerful as you people make him to be he should be capable of at least stalemating giant dog. And Prophecy was that Huan should die in battle with greatest wolf, not that he would lose the fight against him. Defeating someone doesn't mean you should to kill him, if Sauron proved superiority to Huan, then giant dog would run away, so the prophecy still stands that he should die in the fight against greatest wolf.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@bigcimmerian:

All excuses? How? It happened because it was meant to happen. Why exactly would sauron spare huan? He took the form fully intending to kill huan (who had just killed all his pets lol), but couldn't because the prophecy applied to someone else. Easy as that.