Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thoromdil

Reed Richards

No Caption Provided

runs the chess gauntlet with DC geniuses! He fights them in order. No time limit, if they tie, they play until someone eventually wins the game. Every DC character has as much prep time as they want to prepare for the match, but the amount of prep time they get, RR also gets. Composite genius feats for all characters.

- Bruce Wayne

No Caption Provided

- Lex Luthor

No Caption Provided

- Ultra Humanite

No Caption Provided

- Martian Manhunter

No Caption Provided

- Superman

No Caption Provided

- Brainiac

No Caption Provided

- Darkseid

No Caption Provided

- Mr. Terrific

No Caption Provided

Can he beat them all?

Turr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say he stops at Martian Manhunter. He is the smartest HUMAN in Marvel, so he probably can beat Bruce, Lex and Humanite who are smart humans but not the smartest. But then we've got aliens and they're really different league if you ask me, they can think super-fast and generally they are above any human intellect.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't see him passing Braniac

Avatar image for sistergrimm2099
SisterGrimm2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

branic or darkside

StarDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He already lost a chess match to Tony Stark in a comic, something about Tony being more tactically inclined

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'll lose to Martian Manhunter

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Braniac.

AbelHsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he loses to Braniac,however my knowledge here is limited.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Doctor Mid Nite (Pieter Cross) is just as good as Mister Terrific (or at least close to him). Anyway, Reed is the smartest one here (besides Brainiac) but when it comes to chess, stops with Brainiac.

Inb4 Superman intellect wank.

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By azrael1973

Chess is not the same as intelligence. Already now computers are superior to humans.

Reed won't win against the aliens and Superman should be win too, because of super memory and superior calculating time. Basically Clarks should have every chess move ever made in his head.

WeAreTheFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You do know that chess takes more than just intelligence to win right?

TheVoidofDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops with Braniac or Darkseid

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

personally, i don't think he could beat any of them.

Deallsumrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deallsumrock

eeed is not really good at chess.he lost at round 1

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It always baffled me how people who can build machines that practically warp reality cannot figure out chess in its entirety, like the average person could X's and O's.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WF_Mxyzptlk

Only people who don't play chess at a decent level take comic book chess seriously.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Noone1996

Lmfao at him losing at round 1.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That pic with Tony is priceless

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure about the strategic power on the DC side, but I know that Reed constantly bests Doom in chess annually.

Take that as you will.

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By azrael1973
@noone1996 said:

Not sure about the strategic power on the DC side, but I know that Reed constantly bests Doom in chess annually.

Take that as you will.

This only means that Dr Doom is not worse at chess then Reed. Chess isn't that complex. (Japanese Go is more complex. That's the reason why the best Go programs have more trouble to beat the best human go players but they are improving. http://fortune.com/2016/03/12/googles-go-computer-vs-human/ ) All you need in Chess is powerful claculation abilty. Who can calculate the most turns in advance wins.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrael1973: So are you saying that chess isn't a matter of outmaneuvering somebody strategically? Or are you saying that beating Doom isn't impressive?

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By azrael1973

@noone1996 said:

@azrael1973: So are you saying that chess isn't a matter of outmaneuvering somebody strategically? Or are you saying that beating Doom isn't impressive?

No it's not really strategy at the highest level anymore. Most likely Doom would beat any living human or even the best computer program we have today.

But at the highest level it's just who is making a mistake first and who can calculate the most turns in advance to avoid doing that. It's just math and both Reeds ans Doom should be able to program a software they can't beat rather easily. Maybe Ultron would be the best chess player in marvel.

majin77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at round 1, Reed is smart, but he isn't a strategist

Turr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@majin77 said:

Stops at round 1, Reed is smart, but he isn't a strategist

R1?!? Wow I don't think so. I mean Bruce is very smart and tactical genius but at this level of chess playing I don't think strategy is even involved anymore. It's literally all about how many possible moves forward you can remember and calculate in your mind. Reed is a different caliber genius then Bruce, his ability to memorize and calculate would like 10 times better or something. I say he stops at MM but R1? No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Different brains.

I would argue that captain America could beat Reed Richards.

The smartest scientists in the world would never best a tactician.

At the same time a tactician wouldnt be able to invent something.

And to those arguing that at this level then it's no longer about tactics.

False. That means that it will more likely come to a stalemate like most gm games. Hence why you play lots and lots.

A tactician will always beat a matimatician because a matimatician will only account for moves and probability, a tactician will account for more

He isn't beating Bruce in multiple sittings.

They more likely will tie the first dozen games and Bruce will slowly decimate him after.

Reed isnt too hard to bait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: most high level games already end in stalemates. With the following games being about endurance and out playing the player themselves.

It doesn't always come to probability.

Magnus isnt the best just cause he has memorised every move. Hes the best cause he baits the opponent, he preys on their weaknesses and gets into their heads

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By azrael1973

@soaringturkeys said:

Different brains.

I would argue that captain America could beat Reed Richards.

The smartest scientists in the world would never best a tactician.

At the same time a tactician wouldnt be able to invent something.

And to those arguing that at this level then it's no longer about tactics.

False. That means that it will more likely come to a stalemate like most gm games. Hence why you play lots and lots.

A tactician will always beat a matimatician because a matimatician will only account for moves and probability, a tactician will account for more

He isn't beating Bruce in multiple sittings.

They more likely will tie the first dozen games and Bruce will slowly decimate him after.

Reed isnt too hard to bait

You have no idea of real high level chess. Ever realized that humans have not been able to win against the best computer programs since a decade? At this level it's just calculating. Well if they were playing 3 dimensional chess or go, it would be something different.

StarDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magnus once beat three people simultaneously while blindfolded, I'm pretty sure that goes beyond just 'calculating'

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By azrael1973

@stardance said:

Magnus once beat three people simultaneously while blindfolded, I'm pretty sure that goes beyond just 'calculating'

These three people where not grandmasters. He wins against amateurs because of his experience not calculating, but even magnus would lose to a world class computer program. A computer is not thinking, just calculating.

"The world champion Magnus Carlsen won't even play his computer," Soltis says. "He uses it to train, to recommend moves for future competition. But he won't play it, because he just loses all the timeand there's nothing more depressing than losing without even being in the game."

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/10/24/499162905/20-years-later-humans-still-no-match-for-computers-on-the-chessboard

leito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only people who don't play chess at a decent level take comic book chess seriously.

Indeed. That scan where Superman actually captures the Flash's King is hilarious

Tzimiscelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he is not beating brainiac, thats for sure.... but i think he can get to him

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chess skill has nothing to do with intelligence anyways...so its irrelevant without chess feats...someone like Yami Yugi would beat everyone on this list from game skill not via intelligence...

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leito said:
@wf_mxyzptlk said:

Indeed. That scan where Superman actually captures the Flash's King is hilarious

The fact that games always seem to end with checkmate is bizarre as well, given that its pretty rare for people not to resign long before.

jukeboxjoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that supercomputers are practically unbeatable now proves that chess can be worked out as an algorithm to a brain (or machine) powerful enough to process it, it just turns out that it's not humanly possible to have that brain power.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrael1973: You are right, I have no idea about real high level chess. I guess I just watch the Grischuk game for the lols then.

Your statement is actually oxymoronic. It's not real. It's two fictional characters competing against each other. I get what you are saying but we aren't pitting a Gm against a super computer here.

We are pitting a fictional worlds smartest man vs a fictional worlds best arguably tactician and strategist. IQ 10000000 vs IQ 10000000 will have the same implications to a game of chess as would a game between an IQ 10 vs another IQ 10.

Yeah Reeds has impressive feats of intelligence in the realms of science but Batman has impressive feats of intelligence in the realms of tactics and strategy too. He's calculated ways to defeat everyone and has saved the day and countless of times using nothing but pure strategy.

And please don't read this all wrong and think i'm just wanking batman but I still have yet to see a scientist rock up to any of the chess tournaments i watch and just beat everyone purely on algorithms alone. Which is scaled down, what this game will be about, a scientist vs a strategist.

Batman isn't vsing a computer. Bruce is vsing Reed. Reed is intelligent but he's not soo intelligent that he makes Bruce's tactics redundant. Reed gets peer pressured, tricked, baited in nearly every issue that he's on. While bruce managed to trick a green lantern ring.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MMH reads his mind.

Turr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Turr

MMH reads his mind.

I think Reed is smart enough to use MMH mind reading against him. I say he stops at Brainiac, just because he is a universal level genius, and he can calculate more possible moves then anyone lower on the list including Reed which is gonna give him a win eventually. That is exactly how modern computers beat people in chess nowdays. They can just calculate more solutions then human brain can handle. So universal level genius computer will just outcalculate Reed.

jackiplier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chess? I don't think he's gonna pass the first one

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Batman more tactical

Cerberus369616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Batman. People who are trying to say he wins on Raw intelligence or calculating ability are being silly, Reed is smart and a creative thinker but he's not a computer not that it matters. If he can lose to Tony (and not just lose but lose so badly Tony checks him in multiple games all at once) who is arguably a better engineer but certainly not Smarter he's clearly not at some kind of theoretical point of calculative ability that Raw intelligence will give him the win over a formidable tactician. He stops at Batman.

No Caption Provided

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cerberus369616: I think that's pretty inconsistent feat to be honest. Reed DOES have impressive chess victories on his accord, he beat Doom many times, and Doom is a brilliant strategist and a universal genius known for outsmarting even cosmic beings such as Galactus. Maybe he did lose to Tony, but Tony is pretty damn smart as well so it's not really a reason to call Reed fodder.

Turr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Turr

@thoromdil: Nah I still think he gets a shot at beating the human characters. Should hard stop at Martian though, and definitely Brainiac.

Red_Leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he gets to brainiac then gets demolished

Turr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red_leader: how does he get past MM? Isn't his mind like his most powerful weapon?

zackg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clears. Mostly because he dosent have to see physical pieces to play. He and Doom played a game by just calling out what piece moves where. They didn't have a board or drew or wrote what moves they did. They played the game in their minds and Reed won.

Red_Leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turr: reed is still quite intellegent and could outsmart MM if... oh who am i kidding i just want to see Reed vs Brainiac in a chess game

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By green_skaar
Turr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red_leader: I can actually see him beating MM too but that's purely because of feats he has when playing vs Doom. If you look at it from logical point of view MM who is an alien and has a brain thousands of times faster and smarter then any human should win.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since when in the hell is Lex Luthor beating Doom at anything? That image is offensive...