Qui-Gon Jinn Vs. Sora Bulq

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

#1  Edited By shroudofsorrow

Duel in the Dune Sea, same place where Qui-Gon fought Darth Maul in TPM. Who wins?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Versus

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Qui-Gon Jinn easily.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Probably Sora.

To be honest I haven't read much with Qui-Gon in it; the character simply bores me to death.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This is hard fight.

Also i have a question for autor.If you want answers only from the users you named why you spam topic here and dont write them a personal message?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to give it to Qui-Gon because among being very good with Ataru, he utilizes his hands and feet as well. He is old though. I don't know nearly enough about Sora to give him a clear edge.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Penderor

I would have to say quigon would win.The main reason is that he is capable in my opinion fight on level of maul,dooku (he loses with maul just because he could not use ataru moves in generator room).

Sora is good for a hard fight but quigon would win at the end.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@dccomicsrule2011: But...but I like Qui-Gon...

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@erkan12 said:

Qui-Gon Jinn easily.

How?

Beats me. Probably because Jensaarai1 said that Qui-Gon would win, never mind that that's an incredibly unreliable source with very unreliable opinions.

@penderor said:

This is hard fight.

Also i have a question for autor.If you want answers only from the users you named why you spam topic here and dont write them a personal message?

Those are the opinions I hold in the highest regard, so I sought them out. Doesn't mean I'm forbidding anyone else from voicing their thoughts. And besides that this is a battle, and this is the battle forum. Seems like a logical place to put this thread then.

Oh and, nice Avatar. I use the very same Revan image for my avatar on Deviantart :)

@darthaznable said:

I want to give it to Qui-Gon because among being very good with Ataru, he utilizes his hands and feet as well. He is old though. I don't know nearly enough about Sora to give him a clear edge.

Ataru tends to involve employing one's hands and feet. It's a very aggressive "martial arts" oriented style. Oh and as for Sora, his main claim to fame is this:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: No actually Qui-Gon lost to Maul because Maul is just better than Qui-Gon. I'm not really sure what "special Ataru moves" you are referring to. Granted, part of it had to do with Qui-Gon's stamina, which had deteriorated as of TPM, but as that would be the case here too it means Qui-Gon probably won't be able to maintain a long duel with Sora. In fact I'd wager that he really wouldn't be able to.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: I'll give you that but I mean without his lightsaber. People tend to write him off because he was defeated by Maul but then again he gave Vader a run for his money. Sora lost himself to Vapaad because he was little more than an angry beserker. He used absolutely zero strategy in the hit of the moment.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: Wha? Qui-Gon never fought Vader. Anakin didn't even become a Jedi until after Qui-Gon was killed. Where did you get that idea from?

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Penderor

@shroudofsorrow: Qui-Gon practically didnt used ataru during theyre duel even due the fact that its his main style.

You have right.Quigon is probably equal to Bulq in terms of lighsaber combat but there is one problem.

Jin seems just to be more skilled with the force and saber in terms of experience.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@darthaznable: That was an amped up Maul fighting a version of Vader who was not yet at his peak (which was him as of RotJ). In any event, how does that correlate to a fight between Qui-Gon and Sora? As I said, Maul is just better than Qui-Gon and for that matter so is Vader. But this is about Qui-Gon and Sora, not Qui-Gon and Maul or Qui-Gon and Vader.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DarthAznable

@shroudofsorrow: That's arguable. Because then you'd be saying Obi-Wan was better than Qui-Gon at the time as well since he defeated Maul. My notion still stands however as Qui wins here with his combination of force and lightsaber skills.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is this Sora Bulq obsession now ? He is just a one of the insignificant dark accolyte for Dooku.

They are not even in the same league. Sora never been ''one of the best'' in order. Not a stomp but, Sora has no chance to win. Sora bested by Quinlan Vos, Vos also nowhere near good as Qui-Gon Jinn.

No Caption Provided

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@erkan12:

Sora never been ''one of the best'' in order.

Yes, he was. Objective sources have said so.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@darthaznable: What on earth are you talking about? Obi-Wan beat Maul by virtue of landing a lucky blow. Maul beat Qui-Gon because he was able to outfight him. And then he defeated Obi-Wan in a lightsaber duel almost immediately after with again, Obi-Wan only managing to cut Maul in half via lucky blow. Maul is simply better than the TPM Jedi duo. Nothing really "arguable" about it given how he factually defeated both of them. And actually I really wouldn't say that TPM Obi-Wan is better than his master. The CW, RotS, and ANH versions of Obi-Wan are all better, but not TPM Obi-Wan.

And again, this doesn't really have much to do with the topic at hand, except to show that Qui-Gon is below Maul. Whether or not that translates to him being below Sora, possibly. Sora and Maul are both two of the very best lightsaber duelists up to their time, though one definitely has more feats than the other. Regardless, I do feel that Sora is more impressive as a duelist going by both his fight against Windu and also his accolades.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: I was just going by the logic you gave me. Calm your booty. Let's just end that there. The Mace Windu fight in the scans you showed weren't THAT impressive in all honesty. I can't really say he's one of the best because almost everyone in Star Wars was considered one of the best. I don't know of any showing of Sora that have him displaying a strong use of the Force.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@darthaznable said:

@shroudofsorrow: I was just going by the logic you gave me. Calm your booty. Let's just end that there.

Did I give off the impression that I was upset? My apologies. But as it stands I "gave you" no such "logic". Maul is just better than Qui-Gon, and he's also better than Obi-Wan as of TPM. Simple as that.

@darthaznable said:

The Mace Windu fight in the scans you showed weren't THAT impressive in all honesty.

Really? Not impressive? And why exactly is that? Sora just fought blade to blade with one of the most accomplished lightsaber duelists to ever live. And it's "not that impressive". Okay then. Show me Qui-Gon doing something to suggest he can contend with Sora based on what I have shown you.

@darthaznable said:

I can't really say he's one of the best because almost everyone in Star Wars was considered one of the best. I don't know of any showing of Sora that have him displaying a strong use of the Force.

This is merely hyperbole. Not "Almost Everyone in SW" is considered "The Best" especially since you're not too specific on what "the best" happens to entail. Bulq is factually one of the best duelists in Star Wars going by an objective source. Your being unable to accept that doesn't really do a thing to change that.

Sora's not really much of a Force practitioner. Qui-Gon may have an edge there, which would compensate for his being frankly inferior to Sora in dueling.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: Sure he contended with Mace which that is impressive but Mace didn't look to be having much trouble at all. He ended it with a simple Force Shove. I'm going from past Jedi and Sith. Most have been referred to as one of the best in terms of lightsaber skill and/or force use. I've never once said I couldn't except him being one of the best because it was stated that he was, so he must be or he is meant to be. From what I know about Qui is that he spent more time practicing the force and becoming one with it. I'm positive if he were in his youth the battle would be different. Qui can still hold his own to Bulq.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: Sora fought Mace blade to blade. And yes, Mace defeated him, but by employing his force powers rather than just defeating him through raw skill. That's not to say that Mace couldn't do it but if Mace was not having trouble as you believe, then he should have defeated Sora by that point. But he didn't. And that's because Sora could put up a fight. And that is frankly just as impressive as anything Qui-Gon accomplished though honestly to me is moreso. He has also stalemated Mace prior to his fall to the Dark Side.

As to the "Past Jedi and Sith" bit which ones specifically were described this way? Because otherwise it's mere hyperbole on your part. Also note that there is a difference between a character making these claims in-universe, and an objective statement on the matter. Sora Bulq's accolades are the latter, not the former. He has objective sources saying that he was one of the best, rather than subjective in-universe descriptions.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: He stalemated him you say? Was this caught on panel or in the book? I preferred Sora on the light side because he was less mindless. Basically everyone in the Jedi Council(past and present), most of the Sith Lords. I'm really just generalizing. I never really looked up to see whether the statements were factual or not.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: Then in that case I can't take your claim all that seriously. And again, there is a difference between Character X saying Character Y is one of the best, and an objective source saying that Character Y is good. Again, Sora Bulq has the latter to his credit, not the former.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Unless the quote in which Qui-Gon once sparred evenly with Windu exists, then he simply isn't as good as a duelist as Sora. He could fight as a near-equal, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he stomps. On Tatooine, he was losing against an injured Maul. On Naboo, even with Obi-Wan at his side he was losing against Maul. Maul is a better duelist than Sora, but not by an exponential margin. Sora should be a slightly better duelist, by both accolades and feats.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulq, 10/10. Qui Gon will give a pretty good fight though.

dark-sith123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Bulq.

Kilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulq isn't as powerful as Maul and Jinn was a legitimate challenge at times. Jinn should win most of the time.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulq is just better.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lord_Tenebrous

Bump:

Still Bulq. Being stated to be one of the greatest lightsaber instructors ever produced by the Jedi Order(while pre-prime)>>> being considered to be one of the best pure swordsman in Jedi history. Bulq fought Mace Windu in a "fierce" and lengthy duel, and was also Mace's sparring partner as a Jedi. This is better than Qui-Gon narrowly matching TPM Maul.

Slash03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leaning towards Sora un difficult fight

DirtyLuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DirtyLuna

@lord_tenebrous said:

Bump:

Still Bulq. Being stated to be one of the greatest lightsaber instructors ever produced by the Jedi Order(while pre-prime)>>> being considered to be one of the best pure swordsman in Jedi history. Bulq fought Mace Windu in a "fierce" and lengthy duel, and was also Mace's sparring partner as a Jedi. This is better than Qui-Gon narrowly matching TPM Maul.

Agreed. Bulq is just better. As for the Bulq vs Vos fight, it's also implied that Vos wouldn't have defeated Sora if it weren't for the defeat of his inner evil in a vision. Before that moment, Bulq was winning the fight.

Avatar image for deactivated-607707f852383
deactivated-607707f852383

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gon jinn wins

FloLikeYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Qui-Gon is too much past prime to win. His stats and especially stamina won’t allow him to fight a lengthy duel with someone as skilled and powerful as Bulq.

bruhmoment6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sora Bulq easy

qui qon was barely surviving against maul

Avatar image for windshieldwiper
Windshieldwiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruhmoment6 said:

Sora Bulq easy

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulq has superior objective accolades -- being stated to be one of the greatest lightsaber masters in Jedi history > being stated to be one of the greatest duelists in Jedi history -- and feats, as well.

Qui-Gon is extremely good, but even he can't match fighting Mace Windu himself to a draw:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

With Mace taking advantage of a lull in the fight to blast Bulq with his greater power, slamming his opponent hard into stone. Blade-to-blade, they were evenly matched, and Bulq would remain wholly confident in his ability to take Mace both during the fight and afterwards:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

This is further corroborated by Count Dooku admitting that a swordmaster of Bulq's calibre did indeed pose a challenge, a threat to himself in combat:

No Caption Provided

We are only shown the tail end of their fight, where Dooku manages to defeat Bulq, then toys with Tholme before ultimately finishing him.

Bulq was, after all, Mace's old sparring partner:

"Discontent with the Republic, Bulq was one of several prominent Jedi who turned their backs on their duties. Bulq united four of these Jedi -- Jeisel, K'Kruhk, Rhad Tarn and his former Padawan Mira -- at his family estate on the Sriluurian moon of Ruul. He extended an invitation to parley with the Jedi Council, and Mace Windu, Bulq's old sparring-partner, soon arrived on Ruul."

https://web.archive.org/web/20100821155200/http://starwars.com/databank/character/sorabulq/index.html

With Mace himself confessing that Bulq was almost as good with Vaapad as he was, in addition to numerous other Jedi stating that Bulq rivaled Mace:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It's a close fight, and Qui-Gon will push his opponent to the limit, but Bulq -- a solid peer of Mace Windu -- prevails every time.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Greysentinel365

This fight ultimately comes down to whether you hold Ventress or TPM Maul higher. With Qui-Gon and Bulq being confirmed beneath each respectively by accolades and feats.

Bulqs fight with Mace is useless. It’s confirmed that Mace was “highly distressed” by Soras betrayal. A state known to highly nerf force welders. Mace does not show any signs of effort or distress and depending on interpretation is blitzing around Bulq while remaining comfortably defensive. Lastly Mace oneshots Bulq the moment he wants to. Which really destroys the idea of parity. Lightsaber duels are primarily exercises of force power. Augmentation, precognition etc. The fact that Mace could apply such dominance of power confirms that, even while nerfed he was still able to stomp Bulq in sabres or the force at his leisure. Which is consistent with Dooku effortlessly dismissing him as well.

This one honestly could go either way. I’d lean Qui-Gon though given that he could effortlessly stomp Bondara. Whom Bulq would be comparable to.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_tenebrous said:

Bump:

Agreed. Bulq is just better. As for the Bulq vs Vos fight, it's also implied that Vos wouldn't have defeated Sora if it weren't for the defeat of his inner evil in a vision. Before that moment, Bulq was winning the fight.

It's also important to note that Bulq wasn't actually giving it his all against Vos. His intent was simply to push Vos to a state of desperation in the hopes of forcing him to give in to his inner darkness:

No Caption Provided

Because they wanted to recruit Vos. Forcing Vos to embrace the dark side for power was the goal, and so this is what Bulq does throughout their fight:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

When this was not his current priority, Bulq previously demonstrated the ability to quickly dismiss Vos mid-fight:

No Caption Provided

He also played around with Tholme:

No Caption Provided

Tholme, of course, having stalemated a bloodlusted Vos over the course of a lengthy duel:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

So yes. Bulq -- a solid peer of Mace Windu -- is demonstrably above the likes of Quinlan by a rather comfortable margin.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greysentinel365:

Bulqs fight with Mace is useless. It’s confirmed that Mace was “highly distressed” by Soras betrayal.

By "confirmed" you mean a single obscure fact file issue claims as much. The writers of the actual comic spent the whole time leading up to the fight going out of their way to hype Bulq up as Mace level, then when we actually get the fight -- surprise surprise, it's an even split. With Bulq remaining confident in his superiority during the clash, and afterwards, in the same comic.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck...

A state known to highly nerf force welders.

Emotions affect everyone differently. Prove directly that Mace was in any way hindered by his questionable distress, or sit down.

Mace does not show any signs of effort or distress

His facial expressions are grim, neutral. You're grasping at straws. Bulq was talking whilst dueling, clearly he must have been having an easy time then.

and depending on interpretation is blitzing around Bulq while remaining comfortably defensive.

This is utter headcanon. It's a comic. Panels aren't covering their every step. Taking Mace simply being in a different position in the next panel as "blitzing" is beyond reaching.

Lastly Mace oneshots Bulq the moment he wants to. Which really destroys the idea of parity.

You do realize that you can knock out people of similar strength with a single good hit, right?

And there's a marked difference between simply one-shotting someone, and hitting someone with enough force that they fall unconscious upon being hurled into another object. Punching someone isn't the same as punching someone into a metal wall. In this case, Mace slammed Bulq into a stone surface with incredible strength.

Lightsaber duels are primarily exercises of force power. Augmentation, precognition etc.

This is such a broad, vague, and ultimately worthless claim. That is dependent entirely on the writer. Some focus on skill, some on the flow of the Force within the fighters. Some on both. But the default is that a lightsaber contest comes down to lightsaber prowess.

The fact that Mace could apply such dominance of power confirms that,

He can knock Bulq out during a lull if he uses his greater power to slam his opponent into an unforgiving surface.

Which is consistent with Dooku effortlessly dismissing him as well.

This too, falls under the category of headcanon.

This one honestly could go either way. I’d lean Qui-Gon though given that he could effortlessly stomp Bondara. Whom Bulq would be comparable to.

I'd love to see the case for Qui-Gon "effortlessly" stomping Bondara, considering the fact that Maul could not.

The Sith and the Jedi leapt from the speeder bike onto the platform to continue their battle. The docking ledge was only about ten meters by fifteen, barely enough room to maneuver in. Maul knew he had to dispatch the Jedi quickly, before Pavan once again vanished into the labyrinth of Coruscant’s downlevels. He pressed the attack viciously, blocking and thrusting, the twin radiant blades spinning a web of light about him.

The Jedi was obviously a master of the teräs käsi fighting arts, as well, judging by the smooth way he parried and counterattacked. Still, within the first few moments of the engagement, Darth Maul knew that he himself was the superior fighter. He could tell that the Jedi knew it, too, but Maul also knew that it didn’t matter. The Jedi was committed to stopping the Sith, or at the very least slowing him down enough to let the others get away, even if it meant giving his own life to do so.

Maul bared his teeth. He would not lose his quarry again! He doubled his efforts, pressing the attack hard, hammering away at the Twi’lek’s defenses. The Jedi gave ground, but Maul was still unable to slash through his guard.

Then he heard something: the distinctive sound of the skycar’s damaged engine. He let his awareness expand on the ripples of the Force, and what he sensed brought a dark smile of satisfaction to his face.

The skycar -- with his prey -- was returning.

Darth Maul had seen the grim realization in the eyes of his foe: the knowledge that the Twi’lek could not defeat his adversary. Once defeat was conceded in the mind, its reality was inevitable. It was only a matter of time.

He pressed his attack to an even higher intensity, driving the Jedi back toward his speeder bike, intending to pin him between the dual-bladed lightsaber and the bike. With his movements thus constricted, it would be mere moments before the Twi’lek’s tentacled head was separated from his neck.

But then he saw the desperation in the other’s face suddenly give way to realization, and then to triumph. Quickly, before Maul could intuit what was intended, the Jedi whirled toward the speeder bike, raised his lightsaber -- and plunged it to the hilt into the bike’s repulsor drive housing.

Maul realized his suicidal intention, but too late. The superheated energy blade melted with lightning swiftness through the housing and sank into the bike’s power cell core. Maul turned and leapt from the platform, reaching for the dark side, enfolding himself in it even as the power cell exploded, the heat and pressure wave vaporizing the Jedi in a microsecond and then expanding, reaching hungrily for him, as well.

Maul was decisively superior, but they were still close enough for Bondara to make a fight of it, hold his own.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lord_Tenebrous

@windshieldwiper said:

@bruhmoment6 said:

Sora Bulq easy

In the old legends continuity -- the only continuity where classical Sora Bulq exists -- this isn't the case at all. Qui-Gon was a very tough match for Maul -- and prime Maul, mind you, as TCW doesn't exist in the old legends continuity.

First fight, on Tatooine:

Its rider rode out of the glare of the suns and was revealed. Bold markings of red and black covered a demonic face in strange, jagged patterns beneath a crown of stunted horns encircling its head. Man-shaped and humanoid, his slitted eyes and hooked teeth were nevertheless feral and predatory, and his howl was a hunter’s challenge to his prey.

The primal scream had barely sounded before he was on top of Qui-Gon, wheeling the speeder aside deftly at the last moment, closing off its thruster, and leaping from the seat, all in one swift movement. He carried a lightsaber of another make, and the weapon was cutting at the Jedi Master even before the attacker’s feet had touched the ground. Qui-Gon, surprised by the other’s quickness and ferocity, barely blocked the blow with his own weapon, the blades sliding apart with a harsh rasp. The attacker spun away in a whirl of dark clothing, then attacked anew, lightsaber slashing at his intended prey, face alight with a killing frenzy that promised no quarter.

Anakin was back on his feet, staring at them, clearly unable to decide what he should do. Fighting to hold his ground, Qui-Gon caught sight of him out of the corner of his eye.

“Annie! Get out of here!” he cried out.

His attacker closed with him again, forcing him back, striking at him from every angle. Even without knowing anything else, Qui-Gon knew this man was trained in the fighting arts of a Jedi, a skilled and dangerous adversary. Worse, he was younger, quicker, and stronger than Qui-Gon, and he was gaining ground rapidly. The Jedi Master blocked him again and again, but could not find an opening that would provide any chance of escape.

“Annie!” he screamed again, seeing the boy immobilized. “Get to the ship! Tell them to take off! Go, go!”

Hammering at the demonic-faced attacker with renewed determination, Qui-Gon Jinn saw the boy at last begin to run.

“There,” the Jedi breathed, pointing.

They could see Qui-Gon Jinn now, engaged in battle with the dark-garbed, demonic figure. The combatants surged back and forth across the flats, lightsabers flashing brightly with each blow struck, sand and grit swirling in all directions. Qui-Gon’s long hair streamed out behind him in sharp contrast to the smooth horned head of his adversary. The pilot Ric took the spacecraft toward them quickly, skimming the ground barely higher than a speeder bike, coming in from behind the attacker. Anakin held his breath as they closed on the fighters. Ric’s hand slid over the control that would lower the ramp, easing it forward carefully.

“Stand by,” he ordered, freezing them all in place as he swung the ship about.

The combatants disappeared in a fresh swirl of sand and the glare of Tatooine’s twin suns. All eyes shifted quickly to the viewscreens, searching desperately.

Summary:

• Qui-Gon is surprised by Maul's ferocity & speed, and barely blocks the first blow
  • Qui-Gon holds his ground against Maul
  • Maul forces Qui-Gon into a retreat
  • Qui-Gon meets Maul's every blow, but can't find an opening to flee
  • They continue to duel inconclusively as other characters are given the spotlight
  • They fight evenly, trading ground, moving "back and forth across the plains"
  • Break off

On the landing ramp of Padme's cruiser:

Then Qui-Gon appeared, leaping onto the lowered rampway of the transport, gaining purchase, one hand grasping a strut for support. Ric hissed in approval and fought to hold the spacecraft steady. But the horned attacker was already in pursuit, racing out of the haze and leaping onto the ramp as the ship began to rise. Balanced precariously against the sway of the ship, eyes flaring in rage, he fought to keep his footing.

Qui-Gon attacked at once, rushing the other man, closing with him at the edge of the ramp. They were twenty meters into the air by now, the pilot holding the spacecraft steady as he saw the combatants come to grips yet again, afraid to go higher while Qui-Gon was exposed. The Jedi Master and his adversary filled the viewscreen commanding the rampway entrance, faces tight with determination and streaked with sweat.

“Qui-Gon,” Anakin heard the second Jedi say quietly, desperately, watching the battle for just a moment more, then tearing his eyes away from the viewscreen and racing down the open corridor.

On the screen, Anakin watched Qui-Gon Jinn step back, level his lightsaber, and swing a powerful, two-handed blow at his attacker. The horned man blocked it, but only barely, and in the process lost his balance completely. The blow’s force swept him away, clear of the ramp and off into space. He dropped back toward the desert floor, landed in a crouch, and rose instantly to his feet. But the chase was over. He stood watching in frustration, yellow eyes aflame, as the ramp to the Queen’s transport closed and the spacecraft rocketed away.

Summary:

• Qui-Gon & Maul battle inconclusively and precariously on the ship's ramp
  • Maul barely blocks one especially deadly blow from Qui-Gon, and loses his balance, falling off

On Naboo, in the hangar:

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan closed with the Sith Lord in a clash of lightsabers that produced the shriek of diamond-edged saw blades cutting through metal. Wheeling across the center of the hangar, the combatants lunged and parried, attack and counterattack carried out in a fierce, no-holds-barred, no-quarter-given struggle. The Sith Lord was supple and quick, and he worked his way between the Jedi with confidence and ease, whipping his two-ended lightsaber back and forth between them, more than holding his own against their efforts to bring him down. He was skilled, Anakin saw -- more skilled, perhaps, than the men he faced. And he was confident in a way that was disturbing. He would not be overcome easily.

Qui-Gon Jinn was one of the most able swordsmen in the Jedi order. The Jedi Master he had trained under had considered him one of the best the Master had taught in his more than four hundred years in the order. Qui-Gon had fought in conflicts all across the galaxy in the span of his life and against odds so great that many others would not have stood a chance. He had survived battles that had tested his skill and resolve in every conceivable way.

But on this day, he had met his match. The Sith Lord he battled with Obi-Wan was more than his equal in weapons training, and he had the advantage of being younger and stronger. Qui-Gon was nearing sixty; his youth was behind him and his strength was beginning to diminish. His edge now, to the extent that he had one, came from his long experience and intuitive grasp of how an adversary might employ a lightsaber against him.

Obi-Wan brought youth and stamina to the combat, but he had fought in only a few contests and was not battle hardened. Together, they were able to hold their own against the Sith Lord, but their efforts at attack, at assuming the offensive against this dangerous adversary, were woefully inadequate.

Darth Maul was a warrior in his prime, never to be any better, his powers at their apex. In addition, he was driven by his messianic hatred for and disdain of the Jedi Knights, the enemies of the Sith for millennia. He had worked and trained all his life for this moment, for a chance to meet a Jedi Knight in combat. It was an added bonus that he was able to engage two. He had no fear for himself, no doubt that he would win. He was focused in a way that Qui-Gon recognized at once -- a Jedi’s focus, mindful of the present, locked in on what was needed in the here and now. Qui-Gon saw it in his mad eyes and in the set of his red and black tattooed features. The Sith Lord was a living example of what the Jedi Master was always telling Obi-Wan about how best to hear the will of the Force.

The three combatants fought their way across the hangar floor, lightsabers flashing, bringing to bear every skill they had acquired over the years. The Jedi Knights tried continually to press the attack, and indeed, the Sith Lord was moving away from the Naboo and the starfighters and back toward the hangar’s far wall. But Qui-Gon recognized that while it might seem as if the Jedi were driving him before them, it was the Sith Lord who was controlling the struggle. Wheeling and spinning, leaping and somersaulting with astonishing ease, their enemy was taking them with him, drawing them on to a place of his own choosing. His agility and dexterity allowed him to keep them both at bay, constantly attacking while at the same time effectively blunting their counterattacks, relentlessly searching for an opening in their defense.

Qui-Gon pressed hard in the beginning, sensing how dangerous this man was, wanting to put an end to the combat quickly. Long hair flying out behind him, he attacked with ferocity and determination. Obi-Wan came with him, following his lead. They had fought together before, and they knew each other’s moves. Qui-Gon had trained Obi-Wan, and while the younger Jedi was not yet his equal, he believed that one day Obi-Wan would be better than he had ever been.

So they challenged the Sith Lord quickly, and just as quickly discovered that their best efforts were not good enough to achieve an early resolution. They settled into a pattern then, working as a team against their enemy, waiting for an opening. But the Sith Lord was too smart to give them one, and so the battle had gone on.

Summary:

• All three fighters are giving it everything they have
  • They all duel inconclusively for a lengthy period of time
  • Maul uses his agility to thwart their efforts to maintain an offensive

On Naboo, in the power station:

They fought their way out of the main hangar through an entry that led into a power station. Catwalks and overhangs crisscrossed a pit in which a tandem of generators that served the starship complex was housed. The room was cavernous and filled with the noise of heavy machinery. Ambient light filtered away in clouds of steam and layers of shadows. The Jedi and the Sith Lord battled onto one of the catwalks suspended above the generators, and the metal frame rang with the thudding of their boots and the clash of their lightsabers.

Alone in the power station, hidden from the rest of Theed and its occupants, they intensified their struggle.

The Sith Lord leapt from the bridge on which they fought to the one above, strange face shining with the heat of the battle and his own peculiar joy. The Jedi followed, one coming up in front of him, one behind, so that they had him pinned between them. Down the length of the catwalk they fought, lightsabers flashing, sparks flying from the metal railing of the walk as they smashed against it.

Then Darth Maul caught Obi-Wan off balance and with a powerful kick knocked the Jedi completely over the railing. Taking advantage of the Sith Lord’s assault on Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon forced Darth Maul over the railing as well. Down the Sith Lord tumbled, landing hard on a catwalk several levels below Obi-Wan. The force of the fall or perhaps the unexpectedness of it left him visibly stunned, and Qui-Gon leapt down after him, sensing a chance to put an end to things. But the Sith Lord struggled back to his feet quickly and raced away, taking the battle in a new direction.

By the time Obi-Wan had recovered, Qui-Gon was in pursuit of Darth Maul, following him down the catwalk toward a small door at the far end of the power station. The Jedi Master went swiftly, legs and arms pumping, lightsaber flashing. He was worn and battered by now, close to exhaustion, but the Sith Lord was on the defensive at last, and he did not want to give him a chance to regroup.

“Qui-Gon!” Obi-Wan called after him, trying to catch up, but the Jedi Master did not slow.

One after the other, the three antagonists passed through the small door into a corridor beyond. They were moving quickly in their frenzied chase and were into the corridor before they realized what it was. Lasers ricocheted off buffer struts, pulsing in long bursts of crisscrossing brilliance that segmented the corridor at five points. The lasers had just begun to kick in when the Sith Lord and the Jedi Knights rushed through the entry. Darth Maul, in the lead, got farthest down the corridor and found himself trapped between walls four and five. Qui-Gon, in close pursuit, was caught only one wall away. Obi-Wan, who was farthest away in the chase, did not get past even the first wall.

Shocked into immobility by the buzz and flash of the lasers, the antagonists froze where they were, casting about for an escape, finding none. Qui-Gon took a quick measure of their location. They were in the service corridor for the melting pit, the disposal unit of the power station’s residue. The service corridor was armed with lasers against unauthorized intrusion. There would be a shutoff switch somewhere at both ends of the passage, but it was too late to look for it now.

The Jedi Knights stared down the laser-riddled corridor at the Sith Lord, who gave them a wicked grin. Don’t worry, they could read in his dark countenance, you won’t have long to wait for me.

Qui-Gon exchanged a meaningful glance with Obi-Wan, then dropped into a guarded crouch to meditate and wait.

Summary:

• They inconclusively duel for a lengthy period of time
  • Maul takes the upper hand over Obi-Wan, but is unable to do so without exposing himself to Qui-Gon, who lands a blow in turn
  • Though tired, Qui-Gon forces Maul back for a decent stint
  • Break off

The fight up until this point has been close enough that Maul sustained numerous light injuries:

Beyond, the Sith Lord worked at binding up his wounds, a series of burns and slashes marked by charred tears in his dark clothing. He was backed to the edge of the chamber beyond, keeping a close watch on Qui-Gon, his red and black face intense, his yellow eyes glinting in the half light. His lightsaber rested on the floor before him. He saw Obi-Wan staring and smiled in open derision.

During this break, Obi-Wan muses that they and the Sith had been matching each other blow for blow, and were at an impasse:

Obi-Wan Kenobi prowled the front end of the service corridor to the melting pit like a caged animal. He was furious at himself for getting trapped so far from Qui-Gon and furious with Qui-Gon for letting this happen by rushing ahead instead of waiting for him. But he was worried, too. He could admit it to himself, privately, if only just. They should have won this battle long ago. Against any other opponent, they would have. But the Sith Lord was battle trained and seasoned well beyond anyone they had ever encountered before. He had matched them blow for blow, and they weren’t any closer to winning this fight now than they had been in the beginning.

Obi-Wan also still believes that Qui-Gon is the best swordsmen he's ever seen, despite having extensively fought Maul already:

Down the way, pinned between two walls of laser beams, Qui-Gon Jinn knelt in meditation, facing toward the Sith Lord and the melting pit, his head lowered over his lightsaber. He was gathering himself for a final assault, bringing himself in tune with the Force. Obi-Wan did not like the weariness he saw in the slump of the older man’s shoulders, in the bow of his back. He was the best swordsman Obi-Wan had ever seen, but he was growing old.

On Naboo, the melting pit:

At that instant, the laser beams warding the service corridor went off.

Obi-Wan sprinted ahead, launching himself down the narrow passageway, lightsaber raised. Qui-Gon was on his feet as well, his own weapon flashing. He catapulted through the opening that led into the melting pit and closed with the Sith Lord, forcing him back, out of the passageway completely. Obi-Wan put on a new burst of speed, howling out at the antagonists ahead, as if by the sound of his voice he could bring them back to him.

Then he heard the buzz of the capacitors kicking in once more, cycling to reactivate the lasers. He threw himself ahead, still too far from the corridor’s end. He cleared all the gates but the last, and the lasers crisscrossed before him in a deadly wall, bringing him to an abrupt stop just short of where he needed to be.

Lightsaber clutched in both hands, he stood watching helplessly as Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul battled on the narrow ledge that encircled the melting pit. A stream of electrons was all that separated him from the combatants, but it might as well have been a wall of permacrete three meters thick. Desperately he cast about for a triggering device that might shut the system down, but he had no better luck here than he’d had at the other end. He could only watch and wait and pray that Qui-Gon could hold on.

It appeared that the Jedi Master would. He had found a fresh reserve of strength during his meditation, and now he was attacking with a ferocity that seemed to have the Sith Lord stymied. With quick, hard strokes of his lightsaber, he bored into his adversary, deliberately engaging in close-quarters combat, refusing to let the other bring his double-bladed weapon to bear. He drove Darth Maul backward about the rim of the overhang, keeping the Sith Lord constantly on the defensive, pressing in on him steadily. Qui-Gon Jinn might no longer be young, but he was still powerful. Darth Maul’s ragged face took on a frenzied look, and the glitter of his strange eyes brightened with uncertainty.

Good, Master, Obi-Wan thought, urging him on voicelessly, anticipating Qui-Gon’s sword strokes as if they were his own.

Then Darth Maul back-flipped across the melting pit, giving himself some space in which to recover, gaining just enough time to assume a new battle stance. Qui-Gon was on him in an instant, covering the distance separating them in a rush, hammering into the Sith Lord anew. But he was beginning to weary now from carrying the battle alone. His strokes were not so vigorous as before, his face bathed with sweat and taut with fatigue.

Slowly, Darth Maul began to edge his way back into the fight, becoming the aggressor once more.

Hurry! Obi-Wan hissed soundlessly, willing the lasers to pause and the gates to come down.

Stroke for stroke, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul battled about the rim of the melting pit, locked in a combat that seemed endless and forever and could be won by neither.

Then the Sith Lord parried a downstroke, whirled swiftly to the right, and with his back to the Jedi Master, made a blind, reverse lunge. Too late, Qui-Gon recognized the danger. The blade of the Sith Lord’s lightsaber caught him directly in the midsection, its brilliant length burning through clothing and flesh and bone.

Obi-Wan thought he heard the Jedi Master scream, then realized it was himself, calling his friend’s name in despair. Qui-Gon made no sound as the blade entered him, stiffening with the impact, then taking a small step back as it was withdrawn. He stood motionless for an instant, fighting against the shock of the killing blow. Then his eyes clouded, his arms lowered, and a great weariness settled over his proud features. He dropped to his knees, and his lightsaber clattered to the stone floor.

He was slumped forward and motionless when the lasers abruptly went off again, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, seething with rage, rushed to his rescue.

Summary:

• Qui-Gon rushes Maul, pushing him into uncomfortably close quarters, forcing the fight inside of Maul's reach which impedes his ability to leverage
  • Qui-Gon is winning
  • Maul leaps away to give himself space
  • Qui-Gon attacks him again, but because of being tired, Maul slowly works his way back onto the offensive
  • They are locked in a close match
  • Maul eventually takes the upper hand over his tired opponent

Qui-Gon was Maul's near-equal. Hence their massive, incredibly lengthy duel. He's no slouch.

bruhmoment6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_tenebrous

what do you mean maul struggled he killed a yuuzhon vong

and those guys could slaughter jedi

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lord_Tenebrous

@bruhmoment6 said:

@lord_tenebrous

what do you mean maul struggled he killed a yuuzhon vong

and those guys could slaughter jedi

I mean, every time Maul and Qui-Gon went head-to-head, it was a close match. An intense struggle that Maul only narrowly won.

Qui-Gon is one of the greatest pure swordsmen in Jedi history, an esteemed Jedi Master with decades of experience and training under his belt. Former apprentice to yet another legendary Jedi duelist who stands high amongst the elites in all of galactic history. It's not implausible that Maul would experience considerable strain against such a high-profile Master as Qui-Gon.

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sora Bulq be a winner

Sora Bulq can atomise Jinn, Maul and TPM Kenob at same time

Sora = Mace >> Sheev >> TCW Maul and Opress >>>>> TPM Maul alone