• 56 results
xtreme1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xtreme1
  • No prep. Fight to the death and both are willing to kill.
  • Oberyn is armed with the same kind of spear he used to fight The Mountain, and he'll get a second spear if the first one breaks. No poison on either spear and he's not wearing armor.
  • Drogo is armed with his curved sword.
  • The fight takes place where Oberyn fought Gregor Clegane.
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oberyn goes down here. Considering the Dothraki don't wear armor, I figure they generally move faster than the knights Westeros. Therefor it stands to reason he's used to fighting people who move generally as Oberyn. If he get's inside the spear, Oberyns through. Not a horrible fight, but Drogo never actually got beat.... what took him down was an infection. Oberyn v the Mountain.... Oberyn lost. He looked great doing it, but he lost all the same. A better fight might be Oberyn vs. Syrio Florel..... regardless.... I love these GOT battles. Keep 'em coming:>)

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to say Khal Drogo. Oberyn was extremely cocky, even when he was dealing with the mountain(and all the history that came with him).

UFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UFT

drogo killed a nobody. oberyn defeated one of the strongest and most dangerous men ever. oberyn also needs only one good hit for it to be at least a mutual kill

FatherChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oberyn defeated a guy who physically dwarfed every other man on the planet and was decked out in the world's thickest armor. Drogo defeated some random mook and later died of his wound.

Red Viper 8-9/10

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uft: There's no poison, and even though Gregor was "faster than you'd expect for a man of his size" That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Drogo should be faster than Gregor could ever hope to be... if only because he's not wearing armor. Drogo never lost a battle, it's why his hair is so long, and he's been fighting since his youth. While Oberyn is supposed to be a mean motor-scooter, in the books I believe he's recorded as killing only a few people. Drogo on the other hand is supposed to be one of the deadliest men alive.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Oberyn has better feats. All of Drogo's feats are off screen or based on assumptions. Bronn, who easily carved through soldiers in the Blackwater with a knife, was scared of being tagged (oneshoted) by the Mountain. The Mountain is not slow, and would likely beat Drogo. Oberyn beat somebody stronger, better armed, and more heavily armored (armor which Drogo wouldn't even get through).

Also, fact is: spear > curved sword. Oberyn has a clear advantage in terms of speed, agility, and range. Even if Drogo is stronger, it wouldn't matter. Oberyn wasn't cocky; he let his rage get the better of him, and he got distracted by his lust for vengeance.

xtreme1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogueshadow  Moderator

Drogo was perhaps the greatest Khal in history, he had never lost a fight and he'd been fighting since he could walk, this is a warrior culture to the nth degree, far more than Westeros, they fight every day, the only time they aren't fighting is when they are riding into battle. To have neverlost in a culture such as that... that's insane.

So while we never got to see him take down a truly noteworthy foe and Oberyn has the better feat in taking down Gregor, if I were to be betting on this, i'd definitely put my money on Drogo.

Also, the curved swords are called Arakhs.

UFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UFT

being barbaric and based on killing your way to the top doesnt really make that army skilled. just strong

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oberyn Martell

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts.

Loading Video...

Dixy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dixy

Khan Drogo has got to be the most overrated GoT fighter, Oberyn has better showings and a reach + poison advantage so he wins

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By PeterParkerJr

Oberyn would waste him.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts.

Loading Video...

This kid is extremely long winded and a little pretentious, but yeah, basically this.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: How so?

How so which? That I think the narrator is correct, or that I think he's long winded and a little pretentious?

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: The latter.

Ah. These are just my opinions of course.

The same information could have been conveyed in a shorter amount of time. While I admit, and admire, that the narrator has done some impressive research, they way it was presented was done in such a way (I feel) that the he sets himself up as some sort of authority on the matter (of athletic abilities, weapons, armor, they fighting styles, etc.). He COULD have come across as completely pompous, which he didn't, which is why I said a "little" pretentious.

Dixy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dixy

@heroup2112: Aren't nerds who don't know about fighting who analzye fighting always a bit pretentious?

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Hmmm, not sure I agree when a lot of the writing is in the context of hypotheticals: "most likely" "would have" "possibly." What would you have cut for time? It feels pretty short as is.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixy said:

@heroup2112: Aren't nerds who don't know about fighting who analzye fighting always a bit pretentious?

I didn't want to say this, but yeah. However, even those who don't fight CAN read a lot about it, like weapon effectiveness and that sort of thing. Doesn't really replace (sort of) first hand knowledge. On the other hand, even for those who are really into fighting stuff...martial artists, cops, soldiers, etc...hard to find someone who REALLY knows about fighting with swords, spears, and shields, but I get your point. ;)

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Hmmm, not sure I agree when a lot of the writing is in the context of hypotheticals: "most likely" "would have" "possibly." What would you have cut for time? It feels pretty short as is.

You thought it was too short. Personally I was thinking. "Okay dude, we get it...let's go." half the time. I'd have to rewatch it (sorry, I'm just not going to =P), to see the stuff I'd have cut for time. I suppose part of the issue was that he might have put in too many hypotheticals that really went no where, and ended up having no bearing on the final fight.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixy said:

Even when the analysis is based around fiction inspired by fact, not actual history or fact.

Dixy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixy: Seems more like criticism on the franchise in question than the analysis.

Dixy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SilentBat: No not really, if it's fictitious then nerds sometimes feel like they can impart their fighting wisdom even more because they can be an 'expert' on something which is only limited by the source material, so the pretentiousness comes off even more

But that's just my opinion

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By silentbat

@dixy: How would you go about conducting an analysis between the two fighters without talking about their techniques and skill?

Dixy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SilentBat: I think you're completely missing the point...you CAN do it, but not sounding pretentious is hard

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixy: I think I understand now based on your last comment. Was just fishing for the core of your argument.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We've never seen Khal really fight before, so I would have to give to Oberyn for having actual feats.

USSJ3071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oberyn stomps

lestrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd honestly give to Oberyn. The spear reach combined with his agility and skill, IMO, would be too much for Drogo. You don't get called the Red Viper of Dorne for nothing.

Oberyn's spear gives him such an advantage with its range that Drogo isn't going to be able to get close to him. I could see him bullrushing Oberyn, which may work sometimes, but with Oberyn's speed and agility he'll likely just die if he tries and get a crippling injury if he doesn't die.

7/10 to Oberyn, with Drogo dying of his injuries even when he wins.

Avatar image for captain_inverse
captain_inverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By captain_inverse

By hype - Khal Drogo

• In a series/novels that try to center around the realism of combat, you have Khal Drogo. This was the man who has NEVER been beaten in a culture where the right to rule isn't by blood/name but by combat.

By feats - Oberyn 6/10 but it certainly wouldn't be easy.

• Oberyn gets talked up sooo much. If Gregor can grab the viper's spear mid-thrust and cleave it in half, bet ur ass Khal Drogo can do the same thing 2X as quick with his curved sword.
  • No poison + no armor makes this all the more close. not a stomp

JHG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The black haired guy wins.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b17f1b84ea5f
deactivated-5b17f1b84ea5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oberyn Martell.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_red_viper  Moderator

Oberyn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oberyn

Jack_Hart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oberyn. He has the reach and the skill to exploit it, and he has no incentive to fool around with Drogo like he did with the Mountain.

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Khal drogo,oberyn has the reach,but he isn't tagging khal.

CryoModeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CryoModeste

Khal

AsianAntics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oberyn's gonna dance on him.

Bigg_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oberyn martell is pretty much the best fighter in GOT other than Dane. He stomps.

Avatar image for deutschkurzhaar
DeutschKurzhaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DeutschKurzhaar

Oberyn is one of the best, but I do believe Khal Drogo would’ve been known as the best fighter in GOT if he made to king landing. He is so much more skilled and faster than anyone we’ve seen. Too bad he died from infection ☹️

JOVIOLMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oberyn

ginman333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im assuming show only since the pics and no statement of book.

Viper is a poor matchup for most fighters, but this is one of the few where many of his strengths get negated. His choice of weapons also is a negative when fighting someone with Drogos speed. Id still give the speed advantage to Viper, but not by much. Drogo managed multiple quick dodges by a faster weapon at close range...while unarmed. Assuming he is taking it seriously and countering at the same time...wow.. That means if/when Drogo manages a block, then he can slide into close range where he has a massive advantage. No poison also takes away one of Oberyn's major tools.

Jaime's reaction to how powerful the Dothraki are seems to give credence to how OP the writers of the show view them. Of course Viper is very well traveled and his fighting style is very different than a heavily armored knight. A major factor Viper has going for him is that he has likely seen how Doth fight (taking a bit from the books there with his time in essos) whereas nobody really combines styles like he does.

Id say it is close to a 50/50 split. If I have to give an edge, my head wants to go with Oberyn because of the books (namely his undefeated time in the fighting pits, although we dont know a ton about them). Without poison however, which clearly seems to be a tool he has relied on throughout the years, my gut tells me to give the edge to Drogo here.

Avatar image for swordofdamocles
SwordofDamocles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SwordofDamocles

No poison ? This is still a close fight, but i frankly think Drogo can take this. Both of them have show very high speed and dodging skills. Both of them are agile but from what we have saw and considering their physical differences Oberyn take this point handly.

About brutal power/hand to hand combat Drogo is obviously stronger.About the skills with weapon this is pretty hard so i can't tell with absolute certitude but from what we know about Drogo he might have the advantage here. (He is the strongest Khal among all both in fighting skills, and khalasar size and power) Oberyn was a men of action and fights all is life , but can we compare is traveling and fighting around Essos with the battle-life of the greatest Khal ?

Combatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with Oberyn... just saw a video of why the Spear trumps over Sword anytime...

And the spear wielder is extremely good with it, makes it more worse for Drogo.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By speculation and implications Khal would win but by feats Oberyn.