laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By laflux

@Strider92:

I was just about to make this thread lol.

I think its a fair enough match-up, but I would disable Large explosives from Midnighter's line up.

oh and

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

@laflux: I'll see what Buckshot says but Kaine has taken huge explosions in the past. I'll remove them if it does make it unfair however:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

@laflux said:

I was just about to make this thread lol.

Hah! Oh well at least that means its a good match up if both of us thought of it xD I hope...

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By laflux

@Strider92: Midnighter has Nuke sized Explosives in his arsenal, though by using them, he puts himself in danger if he doesn't have doors.

I do think its a decent match-up. Classic Kaine is a beast.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Strider1992

@laflux: I'm not sure those nukes are standard gear but incase they are i'll remove them.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strider1992

bump!

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By BringnIt

Kaine's tendency to tank damage, and inability to properly utilize his spider sense (even being detrimentally distracted by it at times) will cost him this battle, in my opinion.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

I agree with BringnIt. Only way to stand up to the battle computer boy would be to benefit from a near infallible spider-sense (and even then). Otherwise, MN will have an answer for everything Kaine dishes out and will shut him down by tagging his weaknesses in short order.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Strider1992

@Super_SoldierXII said:

I agree with BringnIt. Only way to stand up to the battle computer boy would be to benefit from a near infallible spider-sense (and even then). Otherwise, MN will have an answer for everything Kaine dishes out and will shut him down by tagging his weaknesses in short order.

Fair enough. I will just ask one thing. It is generally considered in battle threads that Midnighter beats Spider-man after a good fight. Which I agree with. Midnighter's durability is one hard thing to bypass and his battle computer makes him hard to predict but even with spider-sense's Peter, Ben and Spidercide attacking him at the same time failed to bring Kaine down. So my main question is what gives Midnighter a solid win over Kaine when an opponent Kaine beat down with relative ease (3 times) gives Mr. Trent a reasonably good fight. I know its sort of ABC logic but it does apply here as 3 people with a spider-sense were still unable to put Kaine down.

I'm fine if you think Midnighter wins i'm just trying to understand what makes you think he takes a solid majority.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By laflux

@Strider92: Maybe if you want a Spider to give Midnighter an even better fight, you should use my Composite Spider-Man from the Kaine and Midnighter vs Composite Spider-Man and Nemesis thread.

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BringnIt

@Strider92 Kaine did so well against the other Spider-Men because they really had no way to beat him at the time. He was too strong for webbing, they couldn't hurt him with blunt trauma, they don't use piercing damage and at the time Peter didn't have his improved gear or the skill to use nerve strikes. Not only that, but if I recall correctly at the time their spider senses did not work on Kaine (although it did during Spider Island). Midnighter doesn't suffer those same issues. He knows nerve strikes and he has the striking feats to take Kaine down. Spider-Man is a different matchup because at his best, with spider sense operating at optimal capacity, he is a much more efficient dodger than Kaine, particularly in his classic incarnation.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@Strider92 said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

Fair enough. I will just ask one thing. It is generally considered in battle threads that Midnighter beats Spider-man after a good fight. Which I agree with. Midnighter's durability is one hard thing to bypass and his battle computer makes him hard to predict but even with spider-sense's Peter, Ben and Spidercide attacking him at the same time failed to bring Kaine down. So my main question is what gives Midnighter a solid win over Kaine when an opponent Kaine beat down with relative ease (3 times) gives Mr. Trent a reasonably good fight. I know its sort of ABC logic but it does apply here as 3 people with a spider-sense were still unable to put Kaine down.

I'm fine if you think Midnighter wins i'm just trying to understand what makes you think he takes a solid majority.

See, that's just the thing, I don't think Spider-Man gives MN so close a fight. Midnighter, written as he was in Wildstorm, would make short work of Peter Parker.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By laflux

@Super_SoldierXII said:

@Strider92 said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

See, that's just the thing, I don't think Spider-Man gives MN so close a fight. Midnighter, written as he was in Wildstorm, would make short work of Peter Parker.

Composite Spider-Man Goddammit =D !!!!!!

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dondave

Midnighter ftw

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Strider1992

@BringnIt said:

@Strider92 Kaine did so well against the other Spider-Men because they really had no way to beat him at the time. He was too strong for webbing, they couldn't hurt him with blunt trauma, they don't use piercing damage and at the time Peter didn't have his improved gear or the skill to use nerve strikes. Not only that, but if I recall correctly at the time their spider senses did not work on Kaine (although it did during Spider Island).

It did due to Kaine's degeneration. Here's an example:

Spider-sense worked but Kaine was faster than Pete.

@Super_SoldierXII said:

How so? With morals on yes Midnighter would dominate but with morals off and both fighting at their best (no doors ofc) I don't see what makes Midnighter a lot higher. His battle computer isn't full blown pre-cog either. It just runs through the-most likely scenarios and executes the one that gives Middy the best chance of winning:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It doesn't tell him how to him exactly how to win just the best possibility. I would call an automatic response to danger like spider-sense more realiable.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Saren

@Strider92: There's an issue of Midnighter's ongoing (#7) that's devoted entirely to showcasing how the computer works and how he views life in reverse. It shows him every possible way a situation could go, for better or for worse, and then Midnighter picks the ending he wants and follows the route to achieve it. That's the best case scenario. Worst case, if he's fighting someone completely out of his league like Helspont or someone like that, it shows him a million different ways he could die and nothing he does changes that. In Morrison's run on the Authority, there was one scene where Midnighter's computer shows him what would happen if he killed the army facing him, right down to the political consequences and the TV reports of what he had done.

How far down the line is vision like that? Days? What would you call that, if not full-blown pre-cog? It's hard to tell exactly how much of Midnighter's ability to exploit a opponent's weaknesses is battle smarts and how much is his computer, but he's been shown to pinpoint and take advantage of physical weak spots (like when he whacked Apollo and made him bleed) and flaws in their fighting style (like when he took down Engineer while explaining that she had horrible aim at close range, especially when she was in a rage). Assuming that's his computer at work, it's obviously telling him how to win. In another fight (against a speedster called Impetus), Midnighter mutters several of the battle computer's plans under his breath while Impetus is running towards him, giving the impression that he's seeing which of them would work and which of them wouldn't (at one point he says "No, that won't work", which suggests that his battle computer is providing possible methods of killing his opponent), and when he finally decides on a plan, Impetus loses his life a second later. The battle computer's job is precognition, and it does that perfectly. The real question is whether Midnighter can properly act on the plans his battle computer lays out. If he can, he wins. If not, it's a shortcoming on his part rather than the computer's.

In comparison, the Spider-Sense provides precognition for a much, much shorter period of time, and it usually only tells the user that there's an imminent threat. Midnighter's battle computer has done that (there are showings where he detects incoming threats that even Apollo with his far superior vision and hearing couldn't detect) and elaborates on the threat's limits and capabilities. If you have a bunch of writers all lending their own creative vision of how a deus ex machina like Midnighter's battle computers works, there are bound to be some incongruities here and there. Midnighter getting hit despite his battle computer happens about as often as Spider-Man getting hit by slower foes despite his Spider-Sense. Doesn't mean the Spider-Sense doesn't work.

And the examples you provided are kind of awful, honestly. Kev was a horrible story where the entire Authority jobbed to a guy with no powers and a special gun. On the pages right before Kev kills Midnighter, he slaughters Apollo, Hawksmoor, Engineer and the rest one by one with a bullet to each skull while they just gape at him. He even manages to kill the freaking Doctor, a universe-generating reality warper who can't die if he doesn't feel like it. The story was done more for comedic purposes than anything else. Assassin8 used a toxin that was designed for Midnighter to weaken him, and IIRC Midnighter's personality had a bit to play in his defeat over there ----- he played around to prolong the fight instead of ending it quickly. He did the same thing in the rematch. Again, that's on Midnighter, not the computer.

gumflabica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gumflabica

... umm..... May- no, no,..... if the circumstances were ri- no........ umm..... Midnighter, because of doors. Crap! forgot no doors. ummm...... hmmm..... Midnighter could probably do it anyways, with his healing wand whatnot.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Strider1992

@CitizenBane: And yet this directly contradicts him getting poisoned. If he knew he would get poisoned and pass out why touch him? Doesn't matter if he was playing around or not if touching was all it took to lose why do it?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Saren

@Strider92 said:

@CitizenBane: And yet this directly contradicts him getting poisoned. If he knew he would get poisoned and pass out why touch him? Doesn't matter if he was playing around or not if touching was all it took to lose why do it?

In the next issue, Assassin8 takes down Engineer, Apollo and Hawksmoor one by one and Midnighter attributes that to a gigantic amount of prep and readiness on his part. The whole thing was one large plan to take down the Authority. He'd prepped to defeat each of them and was able to evade intruder detection by both the Engineer and the Carrier, as well as the Doctor's fifteen senses. It's possible he'd prepared a counter for the battle computer so that the nerve toxin wouldn't register.

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BringnIt

@Strider92 Not sure how that scan showcases that spider sense was working there? I don't see any of the trademark art showing spider sense going off of any dialogue referencing it?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Saren

@BringnIt: There are Spider-Sense lines around Pete's head.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jashro44

IIRC Kaine was going to toss Peter off a building in that scan. I think spider-sense went off in that scan because kaine was going to toss Peter. I don't think it went off because of Kaine I think it went off because of the fall itself personally. I recall an indecent of Kaine sneaking up on Ben no problem and Ben stating his spider-sense doesn't work.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could go either way.

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BringnIt

@CitizenBane said:

I see that now; could not make it out on my phone. Still, I tend to think jashro44's explanation is correct, although to be honest I did not enjoy that era of Spidey comics and read it somewhat haphazardly.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By laflux

@BringnIt said:

@CitizenBane said:

I see that now; could not make it out on my phone. Still, I tend to think jashro44's explanation is correct, although to be honest I did not enjoy that era of Spidey comics and read it somewhat haphazardly.

The Nineties was a jarring time..................

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dondave

@CitizenBane said:

@Strider92: There's an issue of Midnighter's ongoing (#7) that's devoted entirely to showcasing how the computer works and how he views life in reverse. It shows him every possible way a situation could go, for better or for worse, and then Midnighter picks the ending he wants and follows the route to achieve it. That's the best case scenario. Worst case, if he's fighting someone completely out of his league like Helspont or someone like that, it shows him a million different ways he could die and nothing he does changes that. In Morrison's run on the Authority, there was one scene where Midnighter's computer shows him what would happen if he killed the army facing him, right down to the political consequences and the TV reports of what he had done.

How far down the line is vision like that? Days? What would you call that, if not full-blown pre-cog? It's hard to tell exactly how much of Midnighter's ability to exploit a opponent's weaknesses is battle smarts and how much is his computer, but he's been shown to pinpoint and take advantage of physical weak spots (like when he whacked Apollo and made him bleed) and flaws in their fighting style (like when he took down Engineer while explaining that she had horrible aim at close range, especially when she was in a rage). Assuming that's his computer at work, it's obviously telling him how to win. In another fight (against a speedster called Impetus), Midnighter mutters several of the battle computer's plans under his breath while Impetus is running towards him, giving the impression that he's seeing which of them would work and which of them wouldn't (at one point he says "No, that won't work", which suggests that his battle computer is providing possible methods of killing his opponent), and when he finally decides on a plan, Impetus loses his life a second later. The battle computer's job is precognition, and it does that perfectly. The real question is whether Midnighter can properly act on the plans his battle computer lays out. If he can, he wins. If not, it's a shortcoming on his part rather than the computer's.

In comparison, the Spider-Sense provides precognition for a much, much shorter period of time, and it usually only tells the user that there's an imminent threat. Midnighter's battle computer has done that (there are showings where he detects incoming threats that even Apollo with his far superior vision and hearing couldn't detect) and elaborates on the threat's limits and capabilities. If you have a bunch of writers all lending their own creative vision of how a deus ex machina like Midnighter's battle computers works, there are bound to be some incongruities here and there. Midnighter getting hit despite his battle computer happens about as often as Spider-Man getting hit by slower foes despite his Spider-Sense. Doesn't mean the Spider-Sense doesn't work.

And the examples you provided are kind of awful, honestly. Kev was a horrible story where the entire Authority jobbed to a guy with no powers and a special gun. On the pages right before Kev kills Midnighter, he slaughters Apollo, Hawksmoor, Engineer and the rest one by one with a bullet to each skull while they just gape at him. He even manages to kill the freaking Doctor, a universe-generating reality warper who can't die if he doesn't feel like it. The story was done more for comedic purposes than anything else. Assassin8 used a toxin that was designed for Midnighter to weaken him, and IIRC Midnighter's personality had a bit to play in his defeat over there ----- he played around to prolong the fight instead of ending it quickly. He did the same thing in the rematch. Again, that's on Midnighter, not the computer.

Very Informative

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Wyldsong

@CitizenBane: Got a question for you here. I have researched a bit on Midnighter, and I am not trying to go any particular way with this in regards to battle computer versus spider-sense, but are there any examples of Midnighter fighting a precog?

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Saren

@Wyldsong: There are only two examples I can remember off the top of my head. The closest thing to the Spider-Sense that he's fought would be Nemesis' empathy. Nemesis gets forewarning when someone tries to attack her because she can sense their emotions: rage, fear, malicious intent, what have you. Unfortunately, when she and Midnighter fought, he was nerfed with a neural inhibitor before the match, so the outcome is ambiguous with regards to the battle computer's proficiency against precogs. In another case, Midnighter fought a clone of himself that had its own battle computer. They stalemated because neither of them could land a hit on the other, being able to see everything the other would do.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Saren
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By nefarious
@CitizenBane: I see. 
Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Wyldsong

@CitizenBane: Alrighty, thanks for the intel=)

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#33  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@CitizenBane: Once again, saying what needs to be said when I'm not here to.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By TDK_1997

Could go either way but the most reasonable one is that this is going to Midnighter.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By comic_book_fan

kain easly he is way to strong and fast and unlike spiderman he won't hold back or hesitate to kill.