@Roddy010: thank u sir some people r just ignorant

Avatar image for essentiallyheroes
EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@morgrim: Not true about Korra. You say that she is dumb for fighting chi blockers up close but you are only taking that example from the beginning of the series when she wa still inexperienced. In the final episodes, she showed that she could make sensible choices in battle like when she easily took out the mech by flooding its systems instead of fighting it head on. And they both had lapses in judgement. Example: Trying to fist fight one of the best earthbenders in the world and pro earth wrestler in a mud pit just because she was making fun of her. Real mature.

Mythologico4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By Mythologico4

@morgrim said:

@Jnr6Lil: @Dextersinister: i dont think i need to readress the blocking of lightening or fire as mythologico4 posted that video that clearly shows katara blocking lightening and btw the only reason y she didnt block it before was because she thought they were fighting one on one but azula cheated so yea. also u claim that all katara did was dodge during the fight but what u fail to realize is that u just made my case if it were korra fighting azula at that point in time she would have attempted to fight her up front and she would have been killed just like most of the people who try to take azula head on {katara,toph and aang excluded} katara was able to use strategy and inteligence that allowed her to win the fight which is y she would dominate korra cuz despite korras 3 elements and "power" as u all say, she is kinda stupid when it comes to battle {like going hand to hand with equalists who she knows can chi block the living day lights out of her} and kataras skill, power and maturity would completely over whelm her

oh and ps for those who claim that korra is 19? and more mature than katara, please get a grip , korra is 16 and she is infantile compared to how mature katara is i mean katara took care of EVERYONE her family her team she even mothered toph so please get off ur high horse korra krazy's

Also, in her knowledge, she just have the water from those fountains, she had no idea there was water underground. It would be stupid of her part if she just used the limited amound of water she thought she had to block huge amounts of fire, she would simply get out of water in few time. Katara tried to dodged Azula attacks because of that, she rarely used water to defend herself, only in times she couldn't evade the attack, like when she blocked the lightning. When she found out that there was more water there, she started to act offensively and quickly created an strategy to defeat Azula

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By morgrim

@UltimateHero0406: sir that was just comedic relief katara has never done anything that stupid in a REAL fight korra on the other hand PUNCHES ICE NEEDLES enough said

EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morgrim: Dude she friggin matrixed out of the way of a barrage of them and broke that one ice shard. She was just blocking that one that was about to hit her in the quickest way and it didn't hurt her at all. That only shows that her agility and reflexes are on point.

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By morgrim

@UltimateHero0406: calm down any decent bender would have used rotation azula would have aang would have katara would have used her whip rotation and toph would have earths shielded all of which would have been more effective than using so much effort to jump and punch yet still get hit a bunch of times

EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morgrim: Also if you are talking about poor choices how about the first time Katara met May and Ty Lee. May threw the daggers at her and instead if simply stepping out of the way, she is gonna water whip the floor boards up to block them. Wouldn't just stepping out of tthe way and counterattacking have been easier? Or even using that water itself to block them? If those boards had been even one inch out of place, those daggers would have hit her in the head and killed her so realistically that was a really stupid move. So Korra isn't the only one who has lapses in judgement. And as for that thing before, it doesn't matter if it was for comedy it still happened and it was a dumb choice and immature.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#208  Edited By Roddy010

@UltimateHero0406: That just shows excellent skill, precision and accuracy on Katara's part. It was also effective. So how is that an example of bad decision making?

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By morgrim

@UltimateHero0406: she did that for 4 reasons

1 to show the skill of katara and just how precise she can be with her techniques, not even needing to use the whip it self to block{ another reason korra couldnt go close combat}

2} she didnt jump out of the way because then she would be more suseptable to mai throwing a relentless barrage of daggers so it was better to block than put herself at a disadvantage

3 she used the boards because she knew she could block all three daggers with it unlike korra who probably should have realized u cant block a million ice needles with two hands

and last but actually least for coolness factor

and that fight with toph was because she thought it was the only way she could get through such a thick headed person

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@UltimateHero0406 said:

@morgrim: Dude she friggin matrixed out of the way of a barrage of them and broke that one ice shard. She was just blocking that one that was about to hit her in the quickest way and it didn't hurt her at all. That only shows that her agility and reflexes are on point.

Because she was focusing on that one ice needle I mean it wasn't like there were like..idunoo A BILLION ICE NEEDLES FLYING AT HER? oh wait

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By morgrim

@Wboy: LOOOOOOOOOOOL

EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Roddy010 said:

@UltimateHero0406: That just shows excellent skill, precision and accuracy on Katara's part. It was also effective. So how is that an example of bad decision making?

Same for Korra. I said that because this other user said that Korra made a bad decision in deciding to dodge the ice shards and for breaking one with her fist. How is this much different? They both could have taken the easy way.

@morgrim said: @Wboy:

@UltimateHero0406: she did that for 4 reasons

1 to show the skill of katara and just how precise she can be with her techniques, not even needing to use the whip it self to block{ another reason korra couldnt go close combat}

2} she didnt jump out of the way because then she would be more suseptable to mai throwing a relentless barrage of daggers so it was better to block than put herself at a disadvantage

3 she used the boards because she knew she could block all three daggers with it unlike korra who probably should have realized u cant block a million ice needles with two hands

and last but actually least for coolness factor

and that fight with toph was because she thought it was the only way she could get through such a thick headed person

You are being a little biased. It is the same situation with the ice shards. She dodged most of them and broke two with her fists. So what? She didn't have time to to do anything else while they were flying at her. And Korra was only blocking TWO shards until she could get out of the line of fire and create a wall to attack from behind which was effective. Katara on the other hand had plenty of options. Who says she has to jump? A simple step to the side would have done fine and left her plenty of time for a counter. So yeah that was kinda stupid. Why have the whip out an use something else to block? Why not just freeze the whip and block? And then she gonna grab Mai's arm and just stand there. That just made it harder for her and left her wide open for Ty Lee. Also whatever the reason, fighting Toph was also dumb. How is getting pwned gonna get through to Toph? It would just make Toph even more high and mighty. She has seen what Toph can do up close and far away and she still wants to go at it? And upclose knowing that she has no h2h?

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By morgrim

@UltimateHero0406: actually the only other way katara could have blocked was either knocking them with the whip or using a shield however i guess she just thought it too much effort to dodge either one off these ways would have been effecyive and the method she chose was effective korras method on the other hand was not. and its the same thing she does with every thing korra just likes punching stuff even though it almost never works

and again that was not a real life or death fight between the two so of course katara wasnt going to use deadly t echniques just as ow toph didnt either so that point is invalid

x10afreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By x10afreedom

lol guess you guys already said what i wanted to say... so yup. Katara ftw :D

EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morgrim said:

@UltimateHero0406: actually the only other way katara could have blocked was either knocking them with the whip or using a shield

That what I said...

she just thought it too much effort to dodge either one off these ways would have been effecyive and the method

That makes no sense. How is whipping up a piece of the ground easier than stepping slightly to the left or right?

korras method on the other hand was not. and its the same thing she does with every thing korra just likes punching stuff even though it almost never works

But ask yourself a couple of things:

Did she sustain any serious injuries? No

Did she mamage to get into a position to make a good counter attack? Yes

Did she win the fight? Pretty much if it wasn't for the bloodbending.

My point is that they both could have used different and easier methods. But they didn't so Korra does not always make supergenious choices and neither does Katara.

and again that was not a real life or death fight between the two so of course katara wasnt going to use deadly t echniques just as ow toph didnt either so that point is invalid

Even if it was not a real situation, she still could have at least tried to get an advantage to win. Otherwise she would have nothing to do but lose and then whats the point. Also, if it was not for Aang, Katara would have gotten elbowed in the face to be honest. It's like who sees something coming at their face and sticks their arms out?

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By morgrim

@UltimateHero0406: actually it was wood not ground and i guess u know she just chose to i mean its not like they hit her either way

and actually yes she did sustain some decent injuries u could see her holding her arm where it was cut as well as breathing heavily and in a fight one injury can make the difference and also both of them were evenly matched and they were about to collide till aang stopped them so yea no one was really wining or losing

EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morgrim: I know they did not hit her but that move seemed unnecessary IMO. And 1 small cut on her shoulder would not have done much to hinder her performance. How do I know? Because it did not as you could see form the rest of that fight. And Toph's elbow was about to go into Katara's face. But anyway my point was that even though Katara is overall more mature then Korra, she has her moments. But overall, maturity in social confrontation is not much of a factor here. To some extent yes but mostly no.

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By morgrim

@UltimateHero0406: at the end of the day i stan by my belief that katara wins whether in skill power maturity or battle experience katara vastly out ranks korra. all korra has over her is diversity and she moves more { often times unneccesarily if i might add} and those 2 extra elements rnt going to do her any good

EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morgrim: Vastly is a strong word friend. And I don't see Katara's power as stronger than Korra. And in this particular setting, Korra's extra elements are going to do her a world of good. Earthbending in particular since they are in crystal caverns and loads of space for long distance attacks. I simply see more factors in Korra's favor in this scenario. Also if we comb through the series we could both find a number of unnecessary things they both do so arguing that will accomplish nothing,

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By NeonGameWave

This is a hard one. But I`m going to say tie or Katara.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Tony_Shark

@CadenceV2 said:

@YoungJustice:

Kattara defeated mutiple master Earth Benders.

As a rookie withstood Master Water Bender Pakku.

She defeated Zuko mutiple times.

Defeated one of the greatest Fire Benders ever Azula.

Beaten Suki.

Second to Learn and Master in moments Blood Bending.

One of the most accomplish Water Benders in the History of all Avatarverse.

Korra has one Season with little feats to compare.

:

I would go for Katara, but she only "outsmarted" Azula. That, and Azula was going insane so she was being VERY reckless. In a fair fight, Azula destroys Katara. Suki is not much of a feat.

Korra lacks feats.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Dextersinister

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Dextersinister said:

@x10afreedom: See you can say that there on the level of adults but LOA was a less serious show and the only ever serious fight against a competent adult was when Aang fought the firelord, the generic bad guys are clearly on a different level in the LOK. She may have sparred with Aang off camera but there never would have been a match with Toph as that would confirm one as better than the other and again very limited training time learning from a scroll, highly unlikely they ever actually sparred against years of proper training with teachers, various other people to train with, proper rest and a larger library of techniques.

@morgrim: Didn't Tarlokk mention that his brother was probably the most gifted bender he had ever seen?

I don't see how LOA was a less serious show than LOK

LOK for a good chunk of the series was just teen romance.

LOA was a way deeper series (Sibling Rivalry, Empires, The Refusal to Murder, Corrupt Politics, Genocide etc)

By mature I don't mean There Will Be Blood compared to the Teletubbies, this still was a show aimed at young teens but the LOK was widely considered to be a lot darker than LOA as most of the episodes ended on a low point, the main villain was taken out by a murder/suicide.

I noticed that bit at 2:40 but you don't actually see Katara bend at all I assume Azula just misses as all you see is her hitting the water on the ground I just chalk that one up to madness since she's hysterical, if she could take that blast without being knocked back why did she run and never attempt to stop another or why did Zuko need to stop the first one?

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Dextersinister

@morgrim said:

@UltimateHero0406: actually it was wood not ground and i guess u know she just chose to i mean its not like they hit her either way

and actually yes she did sustain some decent injuries u could see her holding her arm where it was cut as well as breathing heavily and in a fight one injury can make the difference and also both of them were evenly matched and they were about to collide till aang stopped them so yea no one was really wining or losing

The ice shards maneuver is easily one of the fastest and most lethal water bending moves we have ever seen, bending normally requires you to perform moves such as flourishes at most quick jabs at the least to accomplish anything so do you think it may have simply been than Korra would have been sliced to ribbons if she attempted anything more complex in her defense, what would Katara have done there that would have been faster than taking out the shards with quick jabs? the fastest thing Katara could accomplish in that scenario would be to die.

x10afreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By x10afreedom

So basically so far: 
Katara can handle Korra's bending.  
Korra is more compulsive which equals more mistakes. 
Agility wise, Korra seems more agile but Katara can move pretty fast utilizing the water in the cave so i'd say Korra has a slight advantage. The gap in agility is not that much.
Korra favours the elements in this order: Fire, Earth, Water. And prefers h2h with Fire. And with Katara in Octopus, h2h with fire isn't gonna do anything, so fire doesn't help Korra. Water doesn't help her either because she has a lack of feats showing impressive handling of water (redirecting a torpedo is much different than fighting with water against another waterbender). Her best option would be Earthbending.   
Because she favours the elements in that order, its safe to assume (and her showings do support this) that her firebending and earthbending are better compared to her waterbending. Liking it more = using it more = better at it.
Korra has better h2h but Katara with Octopus beats that no problem.  

It's gonna be close but Katara's gonna come out on top.

btw, i seem to notice that Korra spends a lot more time getting hit compared to Katara. Sure she's more durable but based on this, Katara can be said to have more proficiency in dodging.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Dextersinister

@x10afreedom: Actually UM0406 already went over the attitude thing, it's never actually affected her in battle and people backing Katara have tried to downplay the huge advantages she has over Katara.

The difference in agility and speed is huge Korra has backflipped, jumped over people, dodged ice projectiles and run along walls, Katara has just run.

Katara's only adult opponents have been the usual faceless chumps that fall over when they take a hit, her only notable opponent's have been teens and children, where are all the decent adult benders?

Someone backing Katara said the equalists where like Ty Lee, the faceless chumps in this show are the adult equivalent of a named villain in the LOA but with super tech on top.

Korra gets hit because being the main character is in more worthwhile fights against better opponents or more unusual situations. So far we've had mechs, guys with electric gloves and rods, super blood benders, planes dropping torpedoes with the infinite ammo cheat and metal benders with metal whips that moved like Spider-Man and all that's from one mini-series. I think Katara's most unusual fight was against some hill billies that used vines.

Again your assuming she favours fire bending based on a fight with one water bender, she was born in a water bending tribe, she used water bending while pro-bending and fire was the last element she used which means that may be the one she favours the least.

and again a mature Katara was one of her teachers so she knows everything she does plus more because I'm sure Katara cared about the well being of her reincarnated husband

Common sense shows that Korra should dominate given all her advantages.

x10afreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By x10afreedom
@Dextersinister: He also retracted and said Ty Lee is MUCH better than any of those Equalists. Point is invalid.  

And i did say Korra's agility is better. But people seem to forget that Katara can move pretty fast using water too. Not SO much of an advantage. And Katara has fought Ty Lee. Much faster and more agile and still can tag her. Point invalid. 

It doesn't matter whether they are adult or not. What matters is what comes at her, and what she does. age does not make much of a difference in the Avatarverse. C'mon. The heroes are kids. Going up against adults all the time. Did you not even consider the possibility that these adults look bad because they are so outclassed? And this is consistent with the shows not just speculation based on what you think should be the case. In the start, firebenders were a threat. Towards the end of LOA, firebenders were little more than a joke. Just shows how much improvement in skill they got.  

The Ty Lee point has already been countered. She is WAY better than the Equalists. Incomparable. No way are they on par with them. Point invalid. 

And Korra getting hit in more worthwhile fights.... what do you call pro-bending? Those guys are noobs compared to the guys Katara fought and Korra still gets tagged. Alot. Korra lost against the mechs, loses most of the time to the Equalists, lost to the metalbenders, lost to the bloodbender. How is this helping Korra again? Katara beat her Bloodbender fight. And those hillbillies were skilled waterbenders and i don't see how Korra would have handled that fight better. She'd probably try to blast them with fireballs and get utterly owned. Korra has no showings to be anywhere near the level of combat waterbending Katara has displayed. Combat Waterbending. And please, Katara has hardly gotten tagged in 3 seasons... You can't say that doesn't count. A fireball coming at you is still a fireball coming at you. A platoon of fireballs is still a platoon of fireballs. You seem to depict the baddies in LOA as incompetent idiots with a "Hit Me" sign on their heads. That's exaggeration right there.

I'm not assuming she prefers firebending based on one fight. She used firebending in her fight with the Equalists, and she uses it very frequently, preferring to fight like a firebender, getting close and fighting h2h with fire augmented attacks. And her using water in the pro-bending fight was determined by the judges PLUS it could be to compliment Mako and his brother's elements which were fire and earth. So point invalid. 

And a student NEVER knows everything the teacher knows. Katara would have more knowledge of her since she trained her. she would know her capabilities and weaknesses, NOT the other way around. So point invalid. 

And neither of them dominate in this fight. It will definitely be close. But based on everything so far: Katara should win.
Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Dextersinister

@x10afreedom: Of course he retracted he's backing Katara he slipped up and said something that highlighted the large difference between the 2 characters.

Firebenders where always a joke to Aang they where only dangerous to Katara, Katara was given a random power upgrade in season 2 because the writers realized she didn't really serve a purpose for the group as Sokka had taken the role as the brains. It wasn't by training under the guidance of a master for years, practicing the same moves thousands of times, sparring over and over again with fellow students, or building up muscle no it was a few days at the Northern Water tribe and a scroll, Katara is horribly under trained as a fighter the writers just needed her to stop being so useless so they let her beat on the Stormtroopers.

Again Korra fought worthwhile opponents, yes she got captured by a squad of highly trained metal benders in a bloody airship, she lost her initial encounter against mechs that took out everyone including Tenzin and Toph's daughter, she lost in her initial encounter against super blood benders that took out almost the entire cast of LOA, all acceptable and who has Katara beaten who would even come close to these to anyone of these, no one and yes they may as well have had hit me signs on there head beating Stormtroopers doesn't qualify as a feat for a named character

She picked water not the judges, wrong again and you ignored the part about how fire was the last element she mastered, also water is a situational element that requires water to be on hand so it makes sense that she would seem to favour fire.

What you've written is just silly, old Katara teaches Korra what she can so Korra should have acquired a large portion of a more experienced Katara's knowledge after she has had time to train properly. You have written this as if this is somehow an advantage for young Katara who doesn't factor in. How is being trained by a more experienced version of your opponent anything but an advantage.

Without much bias I can say that Korra win's given how unrealistic a win for Katara would be.

x10afreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By x10afreedom
@Dextersinister: Yeah but you can't deny that Ty Lee is miles above those Equalists. So the retraction was a valid one.  

And the OP states its Katara at the end of LOA. Randomness of power upgrade or no, that's what we have to base her on. Not how she shouldnt be able to be so skilled in such a short time. The only explanation is that she's just that gifted. We have to take her level of fighting at the end of LOA. not think just because she didn't have formal training that somehow makes her inferior. What about Aang? he didnt have any formal training either. And Stormtroopers is pretty harsh. C'mon. A lot of those fights were for comedy but quite a few of them were serious fights as well. Katara winning time and time again just proves she has skill. And exactly! Sparring. That's all Korra did. She doesn't have any experience in a real fight with other benders (except for that brief tussle with metalbenders and Tarrlok). Katara has been fighting benders left and right throughout all of LoA.

Katara can hang with Azula. You're making it sound like Katara hasn't faced anyone of any skill at all. I think you have to go back and watch LOA again. There are tons of videos of Katara fights on this thread. Her technique and skill dispatching her enemies are feats and can be taken to measure her proficiency.  

The referee ruled that she must only use waterbending. She did NOT choose it. Be sure of your facts before you make statements please and before you tell people that they're wrong. And she does favor fire. In the cavern, she's a LOT more likely to use fire or earth instead of water. 

And sorry i forgot that it was end-of-LOA Katara when i typed that so no Katara would not know of Korra's capabilities. However, Korra's feats using waterbending doesn't at all show she knows Katara's best moves. And we have to go with what she is obviously capable of. You can assume she has skill in waterbending but she has done nothing to show that she's at Katara's level. And Katara wouldn't hold back just coz Korra's the avatar. The first round isn't to kill so she has no worries there. And the second round is bloodlusted so she couldnt care less.  

You are overplaying Korra's advantages and underplaying Katara's.
Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Dextersinister

@x10afreedom: Maybe she didn't use moves like Katara because they where to slow.

Your right I was wrong about the judge call but she still choose water initially.

x10afreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By x10afreedom
@Dextersinister:  Razor water blades, Icicles, Insta-freeze. Water whip. Octopus. Yeah. Real slow. Didn't see even one of these.  

She used water because that that's the easiest to knock someone out of the ring with. She also used a heavy stream which is prohibited in pro-bending. Can't use fire or else the guy would get injured, and water is easier to manipulate compared to earth. Water was the obvious choice in that situation so that situation doesn't contribute at all to her favouring one element over another.
Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Dextersinister

@x10afreedom: The water whip and octopus would actually be slow compared to a direct attack such as a straight blast or ice blade so I can see why she would leave out any move Katara would have used when she was young.

The firebending brother uses fire, fire actually seems like the most practical in terms of a projectile since it shoots out straight away and doesn't require an outside source being pulled forward before hand. She's knocked people back with firebending at the start of the first episode, I think Zuko may have been the only person ever to have actually been burned by a fire bender other than Katara when Aang was a complete noob and not simply knocked back and that burn mark was intentional plus there wearing protective gear.

Mythologico4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Mythologico4

@UltimateHero0406 said:

@morgrim: Also if you are talking about poor choices how about the first time Katara met May and Ty Lee. May threw the daggers at her and instead if simply stepping out of the way, she is gonna water whip the floor boards up to block them. Wouldn't just stepping out of tthe way and counterattacking have been easier? Or even using that water itself to block them? If those boards had been even one inch out of place, those daggers would have hit her in the head and killed her so realistically that was a really stupid move. So Korra isn't the only one who has lapses in judgement. And as for that thing before, it doesn't matter if it was for comedy it still happened and it was a dumb choice and immature.

Katara made the right decision in that fight by hitting the ground with the water to block the daggers. If she used her water to block and counterattack, her water would be targeting Mai and Ty Lee would get the baby. Katara used the wood to block the daggers so she could use the water to stop Ty Lee.

I can't remember who, and I couldn't find the post, but someone said Katara never fought someone with H2H. When she fought master Pakku, one of her first moves is attacking him using H2H...

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Pokergeist

@Tony_Shark: Actually she beat AzulaTWICE.

First time wasin the ed of second season when Azula was outclass by Katara and switch patners with Zuko. Then to make it better Katara end up escaping Zuko, Azula, and many Dylee with a injured Aang. Most peopleseem to never watch the last episode of season 2.

Also I meant defeated Tylee many times not Suki.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Dextersinister said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Dextersinister said:

@x10afreedom: See you can say that there on the level of adults but LOA was a less serious show and the only ever serious fight against a competent adult was when Aang fought the firelord, the generic bad guys are clearly on a different level in the LOK. She may have sparred with Aang off camera but there never would have been a match with Toph as that would confirm one as better than the other and again very limited training time learning from a scroll, highly unlikely they ever actually sparred against years of proper training with teachers, various other people to train with, proper rest and a larger library of techniques.

@morgrim: Didn't Tarlokk mention that his brother was probably the most gifted bender he had ever seen?

I don't see how LOA was a less serious show than LOK

LOK for a good chunk of the series was just teen romance.

LOA was a way deeper series (Sibling Rivalry, Empires, The Refusal to Murder, Corrupt Politics, Genocide etc)

By mature I don't mean There Will Be Blood compared to the Teletubbies, this still was a show aimed at young teens but the LOK was widely considered to be a lot darker than LOA as most of the episodes ended on a low point, the main villain was taken out by a murder/suicide.

I noticed that bit at 2:40 but you don't actually see Katara bend at all I assume Azula just misses as all you see is her hitting the water on the ground I just chalk that one up to madness since she's hysterical, if she could take that blast without being knocked back why did she run and never attempt to stop another or why did Zuko need to stop the first one?

LOK wasn't aimed at young teens. The show was a cartoon for Nick, as was ATLA. Nothing about this show suggests it was darker than Avatar. It ended with a murder suicide that wasn't even shown on screen (That boat being blown up was no different than Zuko's ship being blown up), A show not ending with a happy ending doesn't make it dark.

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By morgrim

@Dextersinister: actually katara if faced with the ice shard situation would have used water whip and created a rotation jet stream to block the ice either that or deflected them using her water bending powers whereas korra with three elements at her disposal still got tagged

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Dextersinister

@morgrim: That's my point, Korra deflected the ice blades with quick jabs because it was the fastest move to pull off, simple quick jabs. Trying to pull out a water whip and then perform a water bending move would have got Katara killed as there is no way you can honestly say that's quicker than a quick jab.

@Jnr6Lil: LOK was most certainly a darker show, almost every review acknowledged this fact. Not saying that LOA did have it's serious elements but almost every episode ended on an upbeat note.

Mythologico4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Mythologico4

@Dextersinister said:

@morgrim: That's my point, Korra deflected the ice blades with quick jabs because it was the fastest move to pull off, simple quick jabs. Trying to pull out a water whip and then perform a water bending move would have got Katara killed as there is no way you can honestly say that's quicker than a quick jab.

I can see Katara easily turning the ice shards to water again, so it wouldn't hurt her. Katara showed to be able to change huge amounts of water to ice or vapor incredible fast, it's an almost instantaneous move for her, so I can't see why she couldn't simply do that

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By morgrim

@Dextersinister: actually the water whip is one of the fastest water bending techniques and katara is a pro at using it so yes it would have been more swift and effecient than punching the needles

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Dextersinister: There was nothing dark about LOK, Please name things that were dark, Ending in an unhappy ending doesn't make it dark especially when the show revolved mostly around teenagers.

Now let's look at ATLA and the shows that didn't end in a happy ending: Day Of Black Sun, Crossroads of Destiny, Zuko Alone, Siege Of the North, etc.

EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dextersinister said:

@Jnr6Lil: LOK was most certainly a darker show, almost every review acknowledged this fact. Not saying that LOA did have it's serious elements but almost every episode ended on an upbeat note.

True

x10afreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By x10afreedom
@Dextersinister: The water whip is actually very fast. All Katara would have to do is draw out her water from her pouch with a simple movement upwards and she'd have a wall of water or ice to protect her.  And then counter with water blades. Or ice daggers like Tarrlok used. Katara has used this before, though not on the scale Tarrlok used.

Fire is faster to conjure up but you can't make the fire go around the opponent and hit him from the side, which was what Korra was trying to do. She was trying to force him over the side with a steady stream of water which is not allowed simply because its gamebreaking: therefore, obvious choice if you don't know the rules. Firebending at long range is usually just fireballs where as water has a susbstantial pushing force when you stream it like that. Plus fire is more dangerous.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@UltimateHero0406 said:

You are being a little biased. It is the same situation with the ice shards. She dodged most of them and broke two with her fists. So what? She didn't have time to to do anything else while they were flying at her. And Korra was only blocking TWO shards until she could get out of the line of fire and create a wall to attack from behind which was effective.

She thought of that after she got a cut and realized she couldn't punch all the flying ice needles.<--do you not see how ridiculous that sounds? Dodging them was only because the producers didn't want the audience to see her get stabbed by ice needles or because he has bad aim. She could have easily just flipped back and brought the wall up.

The water whip is also very fast and takes much less time than flipping backwards and punching the ice. She needed a split second to get the wall up as well.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@UltimateHero0406 said:

@Dextersinister said:

True

The Chase didn't end in a happy ending either. Day of Black Sun, Crossroads of Destiny, Zuko Alone, Siege Of The North, The Chase, Cave of Two Lovers, etc.

EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wboy: Well apparently she didn't think of that when blocking the daggers.

@Jnr6Lil: Those are only a small percentage of the episode in comparison to the happy go lucky ones.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Dextersinister

@morgrim said:

@Dextersinister: actually the water whip is one of the fastest water bending techniques and katara is a pro at using it so yes it would have been more swift and effecient than punching the needles

How can you argue that the motions to use the water whip are faster than those of a quick jab. How can you possibly think that, a quick jab is most likely the fastest attack a human could possibly do with their hand.

@Mythologico4 said:

@Dextersinister said:

I can see Katara easily turning the ice shards to water again, so it wouldn't hurt her. Katara showed to be able to change huge amounts of water to ice or vapor incredible fast, it's an almost instantaneous move for her, so I can't see why she couldn't simply do that

Being able to turn water into ice has been an instant move for a lot of benders, it would be pretty useless in combat otherwise and has a bender ever rested control of an attack from another, I only ever recall attacks being redirected. If that worked then why couldn't one firebender bend another's fire. So I don't think that would work and that ice was stationary, required little in the way of skill to turn into water it just seemed to be a simple handwave and wasn't multiple shards, that would make her the Neo of water benders.

x10afreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By x10afreedom

In terms of taking out one ice needle, a jab would be faster, yes. But there were multiple ice needles so a water whip would be able to shield Katara from multiple, not to mention she could freeze it into an ice shield. Therefore, more efficient. The difference in movement speed between a jab and movement of the hand upwards is small btw. It's not such a HUGE difference that you'd die before you got the water out.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Dextersinister

@x10afreedom: She needed the jab to stop the potentially lethal blades, the time between a jab and drawing out and utilizing a stream of water is the difference between life and death. Korra didn't get a smoke in before the blades arrived there was no extra time to perform any other move.

EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dextersinister said:

@x10afreedom: She needed the jab to stop the potentially lethal blades, the time between a jab and drawing out and utilizing a stream of water is the difference between life and death. Korra didn't get a smoke in before the blades arrived there was no extra time to perform any other move.

Exactly. And she did not sustain any major injuries and bought her self a few seconds to get a defense which allowed to make an effective counter attack.

x10afreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By x10afreedom
@Dextersinister:  You seem to be missing my point. A jab is just your hand moving forwards. Using water to defend yourself is just your hand moving upwards. This is Katara we're talking about and we're comparing the speed of HER water whip, not Korra's waterbending which means she has her pouch with water inside it. All she has to do is for her hands to go from hip to shoulder. A smaller version of what she did to freeze Azula and that was pretty fast. And she can do this while moving backwards, buying her a split second to get the water out. It's a completely legitimate defensive move in that situation. It would have been fast enough to counter those ice needles.
morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By morgrim

@Jnr6Lil: Legend of aang is signifigantly darker than LOK sure the colours may be darker in LOK but the substance in LOA was just mind blowing