Round 4 - Ser Vardis Egen

Round 5 - Ser Arys Oakheart

Round 6 - Thoros of Myr

Round 7 - Ser Lothor Brune

Round 8 - Qhorin Halfhand

Round 9 - Ser Balon Swann

Round 10 - Ser Gerold Dayne (Darkstar)

To the death.

Jory is completely rested and healed between rounds. These fights take place on foot (no bows of Balon). Standard gear for all.

Please bring reasoning as to why he clears or stops. I'm currently doing a re-read of the series and was very impressed with Jory. I'm still trying to determine where to place him.

SirDrProfessor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Stops at Oakheart or Thoros, Oakheart is one of the few kingsguard that is actually worthy of the white cloak and Thoros has won many tourneys and has much more experience fighting. Thoros was the first over the walls of Pyke and he has been recently fighting against the Mountains men in the riverlands.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cregan_Stark

@sirdrprofessor: Jory also fought at Pyke along with Robert's Rebellion. Jory trashed Jaime's men and only died because he tried to be a hero. Thoros does have his melee win at the Tourney of the Hand yes.

As for Oakheart, I'm trying to think of anything he did that would make me put him over Jory.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rogueshadow  Moderator

Thoros due to his repute, battle experience and the fact that he was able to beat all opponents and a fully functioning Sandor, wining the melee.

Granted Thoros was wielding a flaming sword, but Sandor was able to defeat Beric wielding a flaming sword despite being heavily hungover. Beric had been noted to be a decent swordsman and that was before he had gained an immense amount of experience fighting in the Riverlands.

I'd also place Dayne lower and Qhorin higher. Gerold has no feats and being 'the most dangerous man in Dorne' can mean many things.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cregan_Stark

@rogueshadow: We actually don't know who participated in the melee as the book doesn't say. I seriously doubt Sandor fought to be honest; during the joust the book made it a point to note the great competitors such as Sandor, Gregor, Jaime, Loras, Barristan, Etc. However the melee didn't name anyone if I remember correctly, I read it the other day and don't remember Sandor being named. Also it should be noted that his flaming sword worked at scaring the horses of his competitiors.

As for Gerold, he is all reputation so far. What we do know is that he's the most dangerous man in Dorne, he's supposed to be a deadly warrior and Oberyn was afraid of him. As for feats, we will see very soon as his ultimate show down with Balon Swann is coming.

And to be honest, the last 5 could be interchangeable. Those last 5, that is honestly the group I'm thinking Jory is in.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: We actually don't know who participated in the melee as the book doesn't say. I seriously doubt Sandor fought to be honest; during the joust the book made it a point to note the great competitors such as Sandor, Gregor, Jaime, Loras, Barristan, Etc. However the melee didn't name anyone if I remember correctly, I read it the other day and don't remember Sandor being named. Also it should be noted that his flaming sword worked at scaring the horses of his competitiors.

As for Gerold, he is all reputation so far. What we do know is that he's the most dangerous man in Dorne, he's supposed to be a deadly warrior and Oberyn was afraid of him. As for feats, we will see very soon as his ultimate show down with Balon Swann is coming.

And to be honest, the last 5 could be interchangeable. Those last 5, that is honestly the group I'm thinking Jory is in.

It was the Tourney of Joffrey's name day and a couple of others I don't think were ever named, not the tourney of the Hand, I'm 95% sure that it was stated that Thoros beat Sandor three times at three different melees and won a couple, ultimately losing the one at Joff's name day to Yohn Royce.

I'm fairly sure that it wasn't stated that that Oberyn feared Gerold, I only remember it being said that he despised him and compared him to poison, and when Doran called him the most dangerous man in Dorne, it could mean a great many things, like he possesses great cruelty, great political sway, some knowledge he could wreak havoc with etc.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cregan_Stark

@rogueshadow: Yeah but I don't think he comes close to beating the Hound without a flaming sword. He is unwittingly playing on Sandor's weakness with the sword. The sword also scares the horses which gives him a major boost.

If I'm remembering correctly, it was from the chapter from TWoW that was released early. If I remember correctly they stated that "even Oberyn feared him". I'm going to look it up to be sure though.

Edit: ok I just read that part again and it does not directly say that Oberyn was afraid of him. It does indicate that Oberyn was wary of Darkstar and spoke of him often, Oberyn described him as poison. Oberyn's former squire Daemon Sand said Darkstar was more of a viper than Oberyn ever was. See Daemon Sand also seems to think that Obara is in danger, going after him even though she's has Areo Hotah at her side.

With this we don't really have much, I'm still waiting on feats which will come soon.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: Yeah but I don't think he comes close to beating the Hound without a flaming sword. He is unwittingly playing on Sandor's weakness with the sword. The sword also scares the horses which gives him a major boost.

If I'm remembering correctly, it was from the chapter from TWoW that was released early. If I remember correctly they stated that "even Oberyn feared him". I'm going to look it up to be sure though.

Nor do I, but neither would Jory. Beric, a skilled, tough and experienced knight in his own right, was defeated by a hungover Hound while he was wielding a flaming sword, the fact that Thoros could beat a fully functional Sandor on three separate occasions is a strong testament to his skill.

If that's the case, Gerold is much higher than I had thought, though I find it hard to imagine Oberyn fearing anybody based on the way he was fighting Gregor. Still not sure I'd put him above Qhorin though, the guy was a complete legend amongst the Wildlings. I still hope and think that Jon will probably slayGerold in single combat to claim Dawn later on.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: I had a hard time placing the last group of guys to be honest. I mean we've already discussed Halfhand, Thoros and Darkstar. But we also have Balon Swann who Jaime respects as a knight and basically states that he's the class of the kingsguard besides himself. We also have Lothor Brune who cut down knights left and right on the Blackwater.