Lost_Rellik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Lost_Rellik
@Satyrquaze said:
"Grizzly wins.  BUt if you really want to challenge the grizzly against the perfect predator, try a shark.   "

Yes because that makes sense, aquatic animal vs an animal that lives on land? Thats a brilliant one. Also, the shark is not the perfect predator, atleast not of the oceans anyways because Orca's(Killer whales) are known to hunt sharks, they are like wolves of the sea.
TigerWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By TigerWarrior
@AtPhantom said:
"This isn't a comic battle where you can factor in speed and strategy. In the animal kingdom, it's very simple: Bigger wins. "

Epic facepalm - Is that why a 50 Lb wolverine can kill a 1,200 Lb moose? 
Or a 300 Lb female tiger can kill a 3000 Lb gaur? 
Or what about a 150 Lb cougar killing a 2,000 Lb bison? 

Speed and skill is very important in the animal kingdom, and a lion will defeat a grizzly. 

there is no comparing a short faced bear with a grizzly - 2500 Lb vs 1000 Lb, seriously?
Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#53  Edited By Outside_85

During the american goldrush, settlers would arrange animal fights, including bears. However people eventually became bored because the bear would always win regardless of what they put in front of it, so eventually they decided to import lions to fight them...and it didnt change a thing. Reason is that the lion have brittle bones (like most cats), so when put in front of the bear, the lion would do it's usual attack pattern and go for the throat of the bear and have its skull crushed by the bears massive paws before it could get close.

However, the lion could probably kill the bear if the lion was allowed to do what it does; ambush it from tall grass. But in a stand up fight; Bear-spankings are handed out.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Killemall

@TigerWarrior said:

Epic facepalm - Is that why a 50 Lb wolverine can kill a 1,200 Lb moose? Or a 300 Lb female tiger can kill a 3000 Lb gaur? Or what about a 150 Lb cougar killing a 2,000 Lb bison? Speed and skill is very important in the animal kingdom, and a lion will defeat a grizzly. there is no comparing a short faced bear with a grizzly - 2500 Lb vs 1000 Lb, seriously?

When he said bigger wins he meant in terms of predator. Wolverine is a predator moose isnt, however in a battle moose would stomp a wolverine. Again Tigers are predators gaurs are not, also tigers do get killed hunting gaurs though. Cougar hunts bison by higging and hanging on to neck, in areans, bulls and bisons have proven to be better fighters than even lion, on a head on encounter how is a cougar going to beat a bison?

Lion will not defeat Grizzly unless lion was hunting. Anyone who knows enough about both animals should know that.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By jeanroygrant

Grizzly Bear.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Depends on the Bear. A 2000+ pound grizzly takes it for sure. I think grizzlies range from 800 - 2500lbs or thereabouts do they not? Lions are significantly smaller.

Pconcolor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lion should win this.

Avatar image for simon_the_digger
Simon_the_digger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coolest match I've seen all day, Grizzly ftw.

Pconcolor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Pconcolor0
Pconcolor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lion wins it has agility,intelligence even bite force

Avatar image for thedarklordpandamonium
Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

living the grizzly life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lion would bite the bear, not even get through the layers of hair and fat, then be killed with one swing of a massive bear paw.

SSJLozza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By SSJLozza

The bear, it said so on QI.

Pconcolor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misterwhisper:Lions have alot of bone density and all felines have immense pain tolerance bears have large cavities but the walls of their bones is at its thinnest and the bears paw swipes are only 20% stronger the main difference between their paw swipes is that the lion can cause more damage due to their sharper hooked claws.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#65  Edited By Raw_Material

Simba

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Super_SoldierXII
Name55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grizzily fanboys = Hulk fanboys

Tiger fanboys = Thor fanboys

Lion fanboys = Superman fanboys

Me? Killer Croc!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lionesses might have a chance, but a male? No way!

TheIrishDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking Lions are faster and have a better reach, while bears are stronger and can tank blows a lot better. If a lion is intelligent enough to stay out of the bear's reach and wait until it can get a proper opening, it CAN win. More likely however it tries to go for a neck bite, and the bear's short but very powerful front paws snap it's neck. A tiger would probably be a better matchup. Still has the speed and reach, but is closer in power and durability.

Also...short-faced bear vs. American lion is a poor comparison to judge this fight by. The SFB is over twice the size of a grizzly while the American lion to regular lion ratio is not quite so severe. Also, the SFB and AmL lived together whereas the Grizzly and the African Lion do not. Thus they have no experience against each other and there is no way of knowing how the battle would unfold differently.

Still, I put my money on the bear, at least 8/10 times.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#70  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

A better one would be a Liger vs a fully grown Grizzly Bear.

All this talk about a Bear killing a Tiger or vice versa, I view the two cats as equal a Lion being longer and taller but the Tiger being bigger and wider if the two fought it could go either way for me. So I think if a Tiger or Lion fought a fully grown Grizzly itwould end the same with the Bear winning.

But a Liger could stand a very good chance against a fully grown Grizzly.

PS dont ask me were I got those facts about a Tiger and a Lion I cant remember were I got them just that I heard them.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Going with the lion..

Avatar image for essentiallyheroes
EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ASPCA wins.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Desmond the moon bear:

"how did I get here?"

THE END.

TheIrishDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller: Um...Ligers are typically unhealthy and weak despite their large size due to being a mix of two species and thus genetically unstable. Also, they often suffer from a slight mental retardation that reduces their fighting instincts. I wouldn't say that they are more likely to beat a grizzly at all.

Now, if you took a big cat that had all the physical potential of a liger, with none of the physical defects and health problems that often accompany them, and then give it the brain of a pure lion, THEN you'd have a creature that could probably put up a decent fight against a grizzly.

Avatar image for swordandshields
SwordandShields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice fight going with the Grizzly Bear. Bigger, tank damage, stronger shhould overcome the skill and speed of the Lion.

Pconcolor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Pconcolor0

Can't believe people are actually voting for the grizzly bear :?

sandiego008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's the better option here.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lion is king

Avatar image for swordandshields
SwordandShields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pconcolor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pconcolor0 said:

He's the better option here.

Why do you say that?

Raizex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Raizex

A swipe from a bear's paw can crush a cow's skull.

ghostrider2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the Lion wants to eat he would kill a bear, but Lions are a bit lazy.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By russellmania77
Pconcolor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raizex:It's actually only 15-20% stronger than the lion's.

Pconcolor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bears have been chased by house cats

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/06/images/060613-cat-bear_big.jpg

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I have no idea who'd win, but going by size along, my heart tells me the bear.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hippo solo's

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The male lions only job is to protect the pride, which can be way harder than killing an antelope, he wins! And short faced bears have nothing to do with this (yes I study all this stuff) the have a completely different anatomy, and they were giant, almost 6 feet at the shoulder. Lion wins, most likely. And they do hunt if it is a big prey, a large male can make the difference.

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Siberian tigers eat bears, so... Point not proven on your behalf

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#90  Edited By Floopay

Siberian Tigers aren't lions, I dunno why people keep bringing up tigers in this thread. Tigers are bigger, more ferocious, stronger, heavier, and have much more muscle than your average lion. Siberian or not, tigers are bigger than lions.

Grizzly bears are bigger, heavier, and have a much thicker hide. They can run 30 miles per hour, sometimes more, when they get in full speed, and they are much more versatile fighters, and have greater balance. It's massive weight makes it's blows more devastating, and much deadlier.

Lions are smaller, lighter, and much more vulnerable. They have a run speed of 55-60 miles per hour, in full sprint, and they are great stalkers. They have sharp claws, and teeth. However, their claws and teeth can grow back and can be pulled out if faced against a tough opponent.

Grizzly Bears actually have more advantages than one may think. I don't know if a Lion could keep up in a fight against a grizzly. It would likely lose some claws or teeth against it's thick hide, and if the Grizzly falls on it, it would be done for.

Dunno, from what I've seen, I'd side with the Grizzly.

As for tigers eating bears, not the same species. That's like saying a Grizzly automatically beats Tigers and Lions because they can/will kill cougars for food. Two completely different animals of two completely different sizes.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@18hunt said:

The male lions only job is to protect the pride, which can be way harder than killing an antelope, he wins! And short faced bears have nothing to do with this (yes I study all this stuff) the have a completely different anatomy, and they were giant, almost 6 feet at the shoulder. Lion wins, most likely. And they do hunt if it is a big prey, a large male can make the difference.

So...the male lions protect their pride, yet the females do the hunting? But then how do the lions keep themselves in fighting ability? Or do they hunt too, and the whole them being lazy is just some thing that was made up?

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By 18hunt

People earlier brought up tigers, so I had to prove em wrong, not part of my agrument though, and also, grizzlies ar brown bears and very similar to Russian bears (the biggest difference is location). Although grizzlies are more, well, grizzly.

And the comparison is very different, cougars weigh less than 100 pounds at times, not a 500 pound lion or 600 pound Bengal!

And I know exactly what you are saying, just as I brought up, this was just to prove some people wrong.

Also, lion are further making adaptations and more suitable for tough battles, for example, look up the duba lions. As for the tough hide, how do you think lions hurt water buffalo or elephants? Just roar at it? Not even close. A lion is plenty fast enough to evade attacks from slow bears. The lion could easily get behind it and go for the should (which immobilises the prey) or the spine (with the same effect).

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By 18hunt

Any further challenges (I take anything animal, especially lion stuff since I've been studying this stuff and watching it since I can remember) ill counter you! The male lion's regularly fight with other males, it is their normal job. They only hunt big prey, when they are needed, or to fight off hyenas. They won't loose!

Male lions only hunt when really needed, very hungry, young, or plain old bored. But they may sleep for 17 hours a day. The king has no fears, but as soon as they smell or hear a male lion no matter how many miles away they will be prepared, no matter how many (I've seen a large mature male take on two to three young ones and win)

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#94  Edited By Floopay

@18hunt said:

People earlier brought up tigers, so I had to prove em wrong, not part of my agrument though, and also, grizzlies ar brown bears and very similar to Russian bears (the biggest difference is location). Although grizzlies are more, well, grizzly.

And the comparison is very different, cougars weigh less than 100 pounds at times, not a 500 pound lion or 600 pound Bengal!

And I know exactly what you are saying, just as I brought up, this was just to prove some people wrong.

Also, lion are further making adaptations and more suitable for tough battles, for example, look up the duba lions. As for the tough hide, how do you think lions hurt water buffalo or elephants? Just roar at it? Not even close. A lion is plenty fast enough to evade attacks from slow bears. The lion could easily get behind it and go for the should (which immobilises the prey) or the spine (with the same effect).

Lions hunt baby elephants, who have much thinner hide than their adult counterparts. Lions who are charged by parent elephants either flee in terror, or die a horrible and miserable (albeit deserved) death. Even a baby elephant is bigger than a lion, and can give them a hard time. Lions tend to only hunt elephants if they are desperate for food. Why? Because the goal of hunting is survival, and unless they are desperate, it's not worth throwing their life away for a meal.

Water Buffalo don't really have thick hide either, so that's null and void.

Grizzly Bears are meant for rugged environment, and their hide is specifically designed to protect against slashing and piercing weapons (claws and teeth). A lion doesn't have that same advantage.

As for size, even on the high end (500 pounds), a male lion would be about the size of an adult female grizzly (450 pounds), which are dwarfed by their male counter parts (650 pounds). And that's a well above average lion going against an average sized male grizzly. If we're going on average, a Lion weighs about 400 pounds, and an grizzly weighs about 650 pounds. By raw size alone, the grizzly has this. Unlike water buffalo, a grizzly is equipped to fight, and actually has thick hide, combined with a large amount of fat that not only helps them survive rigid temperatures and go prolonged period without food, but it also serves as a second barrier between their thick outer hide and their internal organs, arteries, and veins.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

A lion is not a tiger....please don't get them mixed up.

A tiger is superior to a lion.

In captivity tigers would actually break into a lion's cage just to fuck it up, because it know who the true king of the jungle is. And it ain't Simba.

THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By THC

Bears have a huge durability advantage with their hide and fur. The way I see it, if a lion got a free swipe at a bear's head, it would hardly effect it, but if a bear got a swipe at a lion, the lion would be whimpering on the ground.

Lions are slightly faster, with slightly better endurance, but it's only slight. I'm going with the bear 9/10 because it is a much harder animal, though I could certainly see a lion pulling a win as they can be very determined, and unlike bears, lions can sometimes show remarkable intelligence.

In terms of which species is the better survivor, I favor the lion, but bears are irrefutably the toughest predators alive today.

THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By THC

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

In captivity tigers would actually break into a lion's cage just to fuck it up, because it know who the true king of the jungle is. And it ain't Simba.

Tigers are superior to lions physically, but the lions' mentality usually made it the bully over tigers in captivity. Usually lionesses would be fucking up male tigers. And male lions (who are also physically superior to lionesses).

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thc said:

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

Tigers are superior to lions physically, but the lions' mentality usually made it the bully over tigers in captivity. Usually lionesses would be fucking up male tigers.

Where are you getting that info from? Tigers have killed more lions in captivity then vice versa. So I don't know where the comment on lionesses fucking up tigers come from. The only way that is possible would be multiple lions encroaching on a single tiger and even then the tiger is going to bring some hurting.

An incident in 2011 at the Ankara zoo witnessed a tiger killing a lion in one stroke after puncturing the jugular.

It's also fact that when Siberian Tigers and wolves overlapped in hunting territories in Sibera, the wolves population was nearly reduced to zero. It was so bad that the Russians had to ban all dogs from entering the area during the 1800s because the tigers would actively go kill them. It was not until the 1900s when the Russians started colonizing the area did tiger population drops.

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're over that already omgomgwtfwtf

Anyway, yes WB do have thick hide, and no, not only babies are hunted.as a pride they take down adults at night, when they have the advantage, and battles like these are when they use males in hunting.some even live off of elephants because they are so used to it, each pride has different talents. And what do you mean unlike water buffalo, you need to touch up one your water buffalo facts. They ate some of the battle willing beast in the kingdom, sometimes they don't even run when a small pride of lionesses are attacking, and even kill grown males, they can run with lions on their back, their tough skin repels a lot of damage, they are quite fast and strong, and those horns...

Who isn't equipped for battle?

Don't act like I'm a two year old, I know everything you are telling me that's correct, but the lion wins this, IMO. And the grizzly has about no stamina, while lions on average walk over ten miles a day without tire easily. The average fully grown male in its prime can be from 400-500 lb, that is a considerable weight, and believe it or not, I've seen bear beaten by weak opponents including wolverines, cats, and mountain lions. Some of them they just coward out. And once a lion gets its nearly two inch canines into the spine off that bear... It will have already lost, not to mension the claws.

Also, the lions bite pressure is enough to instantly parylze the bear after the correct spot bitten.

Lions have taken beast on in all shapes and sizes (some of these include animals that may meet asiatic lions) - water buffalo (which is in the big five of deadly animals in the continent of Africa), hippos (also included), elephants (included), crocodiles, hyenas in groups of up to 40+, sloth bears, tigers, and other lions.

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By 18hunt

Also you act like lions are utterly useless, although they would almost always loose (especially to a 700 pound Siberian) a large male has a fighting chance, also lions are adapting and evolving in each prides unique ways, there are some lionesses whose life made them adapt to only hunting large water buffalo. As a result they are as big as so e made and super muscular (the duba lions)

A free swipe at each others head, that's hardly fair! A bear has one of the thickest heads in the animal kingdom, they have been shot at point blank range in the head and lived for 2+ more hours! Also bears have very vulnerable spots. Although they have evolved, a problem was never completely fixed. Short faced bears couldn't turn when running after prey or something in their leg would break, this doesn't happen to grizzlies, but they have a lack of mobility, especially compared to a cat.

Don't listen to that ancient animal stuff, they are very much different and have little to do with our current age animals. Also the andrewsarchus came from pigs not goats, and the short faced bear was fast but couldn't make turns going fast or something in its leg would snap, so they are assumed to be scavengers, they would use their speed to get to the food and chase away or even kill the dire wolves or sabretooths with the kill and then eat it, although they have been known to take down giant sloths and mammoths, the slow but big prey.