Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Place your bets.
Place your bets.

"Batman always wins. Why? Because... he's Batman."

That's an on-going joke surrounding the character, but I thought I'd take it a step further and have some fun with the statement. "Does Batman always win?" will hopefully be a monthly feature where I'll pit Batman in close match ups, weigh the advantages of each combatant, and then declare a winner (just like I did with Movie Dredd vs Movie Batman). The battle will always be standard comic book versions with their standard gear and it will take place in a neutral setting: a traditional and unpopulated city block at night. This will be a random encounter with ample starting distance. That means there's no prep!

Don't make him
Don't make him "one punch!" you, Hal.

Why Batman? Batman is simply a human at the end of the day, and that makes his accomplishments that much more impressive. Not only is Batman one of the most well known comic book characters around, he also demands your respect as a combatant. Even if you don't like him, you still have to admire the fact that he's extraordinary skilled, brilliant and has a huge array of equipment packed away in that belt of his. He can hang with some of the best and most dangerous street level characters around, and since that's the level I'm the most knowledgeable on, I'm excited for many of the matches I have in store for all of you (I'm welcome to suggestions, too!).

I present to you my first "Does Batman always win?" segment: Batman vs Captain America. Both are accomplished tacticians and highly talented combatants, but they each bring drastically different advantages to the table. They've faced before in non-canon crossovers and both times they were pretty evenly matched. Do I agree with that or do I think one should clearly be the victor? Read on to find out!

Captain America's advantages

There's no bat spray to counter a shield to the face.
There's no bat spray to counter a shield to the face.

Bruce Wayne has reached peak human condition with years of dedicated training. He was chopping through bricks and kicking down trees at just 25 years-old, but despite being beyond what any real-life human is capable of, Captain America is still his physical superior. Thanks to the Super-Soldier Serum, Captain America is technically defined as enhanced human and this provides him with strength, speed and endurance above The Dark Knight.

Captain America has been seen bench pressing 1,100 lbs and is capable of running a mile in just over a minute. While top running speed isn't the most critical factor, it still plays a role and proves that given the opportunity, Steve Rogers can absolutely keep pace with Bruce Wayne. In fights, strength is always a big factor. It means strikes can be more powerful and he can overcome in the event of a grapple. And with endurance, it obviously means the Super-Soldier won't fatigue as quickly as Wayne. That's not to discredit Wayne in that regard, of course. The events of 'Knightfall' prove Wayne can push his body to absurd limits, but Captain America simply has the unfair advantage of the SSS.

Agility that shouldn't be underestimated.
Agility that shouldn't be underestimated.

On top of being physically superior, Captain America has the perfect offensive/defensive weapon at his disposal: a virtually unbreakable shield. In Cap's hands, the shield is a colorful weapon worthy of your fear. Not only can he wield it incredibly well when it comes to striking his opponent in close combat, but he can also throw it with a ridiculous amount of accuracy (he's managed to turn off a lighter on the floor), has the technical mind needed to calculate amazing ricochet shots, and can use it to block a majority of incoming attacks. To me, ricochet shots are quite a wildcard worth taking into account here. The disc to the back of the head or torso is sure to throw someone (yes, even Batman) off their game.

Additionally, Captain America has made the claim that he can simply "see faster" than regular humans, and that grants him the reflexes to use the weapon with incredibly efficiency when it comes to defensive measures. That's going to be key here considering Batman has the edge in hand-to-hand capabilities.

Naturally, Captain America has some experience facing characters similar to Batman. He's had a few fights with Daredevil (though most have had significant factors) and had no real trouble holding his own (in all of them except for the recent one in Waid's DD), taken down Taskmaster, has proven to be roughly equal to Black Panther, and had a close encounter with classic Iron Fist.

Batman's advantages

Can skill overcome physicals?
Can skill overcome physicals?

While Captain America has Batman outclassed physically and has one incredibly resourceful weapon, Bruce Wayne has some praise worthy advantages of his own. First and foremost, Batman is more skilled than Captain America. Rogers is very talented in his own right (once claimed to be adept at every style), but Batman has a level of skill that few street levelers can compete with. Somehow through years of extensive studying, his Bat brain has "perfected every known fighting discipline." (JLA: The Ultimate Guide to the Justice League of America). Not only is he more talented than Rogers in unarmed combat,but Dick Grayson has also made the claim that Wayne knows every single pressure point -- and we've seen Wayne disable foes with nerve strikes quite a few times before.

Shoryuken!
Shoryuken!

But, this isn't unarmed combat. Captain America has his shield and luckily for Batman, he has a wealthy amount of weaponry at his disposal. While Captain America has just one weapon (albeit an impressive one), The Dark Knight has variety on his side. America's super soldier has no counter for a cryo pellet, various gases, smoke pellets, light explosives and electric attacks. That's barely even scratching the surface of what Wayne can implement in combat, too.

Smoke pellets can further compliment Batman's already beyond impressive stealth capabilities as well. Batman has flawlessly vanished while he was right in the target's line of sight. To me, this totally defies logic, but it's a consistent feat in his career and therefore something he can do on a regular basis. If needed, Batman can use this environment to his advantage with proper use of his smoke pellets and grappling line. From there, it's a game of ninja cat versus steroids cat. Batman can regain the edge thanks to his stealth, but at the same rate, there's no guarantee the strike will be a critical game changer.

Batman has an extensive history of fighting characters physically superior to him. Deathstroke would be a prime example of this (since he's also enhanced). While Deathstroke has made short work of him, it's worth noting that Batman didn't implement his gear and Slade Wilson is, as he bluntly stated himself, more vicious and trained to kill. While Rogers has no problem crossing that line when required, it's not in character for him to be that aggressive in this encounter. Then there's Bane, a man of course less powerful than Captain America (off venom since that's how a majority of their fights went down), but still Batman has been able to overcome him thanks to his greater talent in martial arts.

The Verdict

Flip a coin.
Flip a coin.

Of course these characters fluctuate from writer to writer, but I believe that written to their full potential and thrown into this scenario, the outcome would be a stalemate. To think either has a blatant advantage to make the outcome obvious is simply false to me. Both bring valuable aspects to the table and it's completely logical to see either taking it. While Batman has the edge in skill, it by no means renders him untouchable to Cap, and one clean connect from his enhanced level strength or shield (be it a strike or ricochet) holds the potential to turn the tide. Meanwhile, Batman's stealth abilities and massive array of equipment that Cap has no immediate counter for are equally big wild cards to me. I legitimately believe it's entirely conceivable for either to be the victor in this case.

G-Man's thoughts

"I would say, even though Batman is supposed to win, you could expect Cap to win. ESPECIALLY because of The New 52. It just seems Cap has way more experience taking on a large variety of threats with many on a galactic level.

Batman, we have to assume, hasn't dealt with too many foes outside of his rogues gallery. Yes he fought Darkseid in JUSTICE LEAGUE 1-6 but what other huge threats did he face? Has he lead the JL on many missions or other teams? Cap has more experience and is prepared to go up against foes like Ultron, Kang the Conqueror and even Galactus. There's always the infamous "prep" time but unless Batman defeats him quickly, Cap would have the skills to keep dodging his attacks and the stamina to outlast Batman."

Who do you think would win and why? Sound off!
Who do you think would win and why? Sound off!

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. If this feature does well, expect another one next month! Be sure to follow him on Twitter for early spoilers every week about Rants & Raves and Best Battles!

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By sethysquare

id say batman.

zachkastner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zachkastner

Batman's advantages? He's Batman.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jwalser3

Captain America easily.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MAZAHS117

I've always felt in one on one, no bs, CIS or PIS Cap should be the victor after a hard fought duel. It's a debate that will go on forever tho, just like Superman vs Thor.

jpblair88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By jpblair88

Batman. it would be a helluva fight. Batman wins. Captain America is stronger and faster. Batman is much smarter. and a master of every fighting style invented by man. Captain America is a good fighter but Batman would eventually take him down.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ccraft

If it was like that show Deadliest Warrior, I think Batman would win more, but it would be close.

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dhor

smoke bombs= cam down. Cat is a brawller but BAtman and his gadgets sould take him down fast. Cap only has his shield and that is not a verseteille weapon

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By batshrine

So my thoughts...

If you are really going to make this a regular thing, then I would strongly suggest you pick a victor. Here is why with most super hero scenarios it is not inconceivable that either would win, especially for A list superheroes.

Also it makes for bad writing (not that I am saying you are a bad writer!!). Its just you cant say hey I am going to pick and then at the end say, just kidding! I say pick and make your argument.

As far as the scenario goes, we saw it already kinda in Marvel vs DC. No prep, and Batman won! :-P. So thats who I say wins

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

CA for the win! Unless prep is involved, then I'll lean closer to Batman. But that's a pretty common answer around here.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmashBrawler

@batshrine said:

As far as the scenario goes, we saw it already kinda in Marvel vs DC. No prep, and Batman won! :-P. So thats who I say wins

Marvel vs. DC isn't a reliable source. Storm beat Wonder Woman and Wolverine beat Lobo.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 80sBaby

I think Marvel vs. DC showed this fight very well, despite it being a fan vote. Cap was shown to be physically superior but Batman's use of stealth and martial skills enabled him to stay in the fight. In the end, Bats only won due to luck so it could've gone either way.

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By MaxSchreck

I think Batman has enough skill to defend himself against caps strikes and kicks in close combat , even when he uses his shield .He can easily take down a room filled with men armed with automatic weapons . You can`t tell me he won`t be able to dogde that shield . And since he always carries a lots of gadgets with him he even has an advantage over Cap ,since he can attack him in hundreds of different ways.

If he starts getting tired he uses a smoke granade and retreats for a moment . When he can`t knock out Cap with his bare fists he uses the brass knuckles that give him super strengh ... how is Cap supposed to win ? Pure strengh ? That isn`t exactly the best argument .

Batman wins .

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ccraft

@ApatheticAvenger: Agreed,well put!

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Superdork

@jwalser3 said:

Captain America easily.
pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#16  Edited By pingclang

With Cap, don't give the Super Soldier Serum too much credit. All it gave Cap is the best of everything a human can get. A great memory, amazing reflexes, stamina and so forth. He isn't super powered, just the best a human can get, which is exactly what Batman has, only he did this through training. I don't consider new 52 Bats so I think this would turn into an all day fight with both getting tired, mentally and physically. Bats has experience but Cap has more. Cap has intelligence but Bats has more. Cap has skill, Bats knows the cloak and dagger skills, I see it coming down to pure luck. Pretty much a draw the whole fight ending in someone getting a lucky stroke. Victor undetermined.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#17  Edited By StMichalofWilson

@ApatheticAvenger said:

It would certainly be close, and I love both characters, but I gotta go with Batman on this one. He's a more skilled martial artist, has a superior analytical mind, and an arsenal of gadgets that put Cap's shield to shame.

Cap is stronger and faster for sure, but let's not forget that the Super-Soldier Serum enhanced him to the peak of human potential and not beyond. The level of intense training Batman has put himself through is said to make him superior to any Olympic-level athlete, so he's pretty darn close to Cap without actually equaling him.

Batman would tire before Cap, but he'd be smart enough to see that and find a way to end the fight (which is admittedly a strong possibility for a stalemate). Objectively speaking, a tie is fair proposal, but I still think the edge goes to Bats.

Batman Wins
Batman Wins

This

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@batshrine: Don't worry, I have at least 5 matches in mind and this was the only stalemate. Every other one I have a clear winner in mind.
soundjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By soundjam

I know most of you can't get over your bat-boners, but lets look at this the way it would happen in an actual comic. Captain America would beat Batman fairly handily. Bats would barely escape, invent some kind of anti-patriotism beam, and then get along with destroying Caps. Yes, Batman always wins. But its always wins eventually, and I just don't see him taking down the captain with zero prep time.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I've always been on the team Batman side for this battle, yes, Cap has superior physical Stats, but so what? so does Bane, I don't see Cap having an answer to all of Batman's weapons to be honest, how will his shield help against smoke bombs? or sonics? or explosives thrown behind him, or at his feet for distractions? Couple that with Batman's impressive fighting abilities, and I'd bet on him winning after a really, really, close fight.

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By MaxSchreck

Hm , no one seems to have any good arguments for why Cap would win . I`ll be so bold and say that this round goes to Batman .

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By dernman

I say Cap has the advantage to win.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By butters911

All this Batman always wins crap is a big reason I don't really read the character much. Fanboys have ruined him I guess 

I do know he is skilled though, but I think Cap takes this

Avatar image for thedarklord_267
TheDarkLord_267

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheDarkLord_267

I think Batman would win every day of the week.

P.S how is bane less powerful than captain america.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By Strider1992

Cap should win given that he's actually meta-human and not peak human like the myths say....

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By vandinejd_1991

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_BVqa4gpdM&list=PL1BC3988781637591

You all might find this entertaining. Also by the way Cap wins all the way!!! He's taken on Loki in hand-to-hand combat, He nearly took down Iron Man in Civil War, and his shield can block a punch from the Hulk and a blow from Thor's hammer. He's also taken on bigger threats like galactus and thanos. So, in fact I would say that not only could Cap take on Batman but the entire JLA

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daak1212

Yeah he's gonna f*cking win because the majority of the CV populace is retarded and have an immense bat-boner for Bruce, who's a shit character. "OH HE HAS GADGETS!?!?!?" -_______-, this is why I hate comics and people.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@TheDarkLord_267 said:

I think Batman would win every day of the week.  P.S how is bane less powerful than captain america.

I was referring to Bane off-venom since he wasn't on it for the majority of their encounters (pre-52, of course). They've fought at least 3 times with Bane off venom and only once on venom.  On venom though, New 52 Bane is clearly more formidable (physically) than Rogers.
Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Rixec

@daak1212 said:

Yeah he's gonna f*cking win because the majority of the CV populace is retarded and have an immense bat-boner for Bruce, who's a shit character. "OH HE HAS GADGETS!?!?!?" -_______-, this is why I hate comics and people.

If you hate comics and people, then what are you possibly doing here?

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Nerd Of A Hero

They both great fighters but Cap is more of an tactician and Bats is more of a strategist when it comes to combat and using their surroundings. But Bats will dodge Cap shield once he throws it and then throw smoke pellets around him, giving Bats the opportunity to do a nerve strike or just taser Cap from behind. Or what if Batman put Cap's into a mud pit, tire him out while strike him with pressure points and then subdue him?

- Batman wins, but it'll be tough though.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Mucklefluga

Batman wins after an ever-lasting fight because of his many various gadgets.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheThe

Cap is a threat, but in the end Batman wins.

z1co80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By z1co80

@daak1212 said:

Haha excellent don't hold back mate.

I actually think Cap should win simply due to the quality of opposition he has fought compared to Batman.

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Azrael66

Batman comes out the victor, but he would reach down and pick Cap off the ground.

Then they would shake hands.

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Michiel76

@Dhor said:

smoke bombs= cam down. Cat is a brawller but BAtman and his gadgets sould take him down fast. Cap only has his shield and that is not a verseteille weapon

Have you seen the tv show the Deadliest Warrior? I think in season one the deadliest warrior was the ancient Spartan warrior. Why? because of his big ass shield.

Not saying your wrong, but i'm just not that sure.

However i do feel that maybe batman could get in close and stick Cap with a needle which contains a poison and from there its an endurance fight.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MuyJingo

Advantage Batman

How is Bane less powerful than Cap? Surely on Venom he is stronger? Less powerful in general, sure, but I think he has more strength.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@MuyJingo said:

@G-Man

How is Bane less powerful than Cap? Surely on Venom he is stronger? Less powerful in general, sure, but I think he has more strength.

I was referring to Bane off-venom since he wasn't on it for the majority of their encounters (pre-52, of course). They've fought at least 3 times with Bane off venom and only once on venom.  On venom though, New 52 Bane is clearly more formidable (physically) than Rogers.

Roxasnelson14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Roxasnelson14

Batman

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sammo21

Captain America.

Cap is smarter, Cap is faster, Cap is stronger, Cap has no weaknesses for Batman to exploit, Cap has the shield, Cap is a master of hand to hand fighting, Cap has more experience, Cap has more strategic experience...bat-fans and fanboys might not like it, but Cap comes out on top. OH yeah, and he's knocked out Hitler like 50 times.

Notathug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Notathug78

I say Cap but not easily. Now before I get into this let me say I love and respect both characters.  They both are well trained physically, although Cap doesn't have Bats brain he's far from stupid.  Cap's no stranger to taken on stealthy, skilled,gadget users.  Batman is considered Olympian athlete, but Cap super soldier is beyond that. Having stamina where you can run a mile without getting winded that would carry over into fight like this. Not  that it's impossible to beat either character but it seems like I read more about Batman's defeats than Cap's.  The S.S. serum also heals injuries faster than a normal human, so he no Wolverine in healing  factor but Batman is still human. It's just Cap's strength,training, experience,super soldier bonuses, or his mind it's combining them all that beats Bats.

CaptainMarvell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CaptainMarvell

Realistically, Cap wins. A trained soldier, who has fought in actual wars, with physical enhancements that make him much stronger, faster and tougher than any normal human. Batman is a normal human with combat training and gadgets. I don't see how this is a fight. Cap has fought guys with more gadgets and weapons that what Batman has and won. Cap wins, to say otherwise is silly.

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Michiel76

Maybe we should have a poll: Cap vs Bats

Winner is the one with the most votes.

Why? because comic companies always do what the fans want, except if your a spidey fan, then you are screwd.

gothamcity29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gothamcity29

Well in all honesty I think either they'd be evenly matched. However to pick a winner I'd go with Batman. He pushes himself harder than Cap and has faced foes that keep Batman to push himself. Like Bane, Poison Ivy, and mentally the Joker. Plus he doesn't have a luxury of the Super Soldier formula. Batman had to make himself perfect physically and mentally. Now with the shield Batman would of course disarm Cap and toss it away. Then some might say Cap would go for the utility belt to be more fair. Now that could happen but like I've said some of Cap's foes even can not measure up to any of Batman's. I mean Red Skull, Baron Zemo, Arnim Zola? Just a bunch of Nazi's while Batman fights true hard core psychopaths where they all continue to test Batman. So I have to say Batman and also I am a DC fan but going through all the facts of both I'd still go with Batman.

irmensul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By irmensul

Cap is also said to "never lose"/"always win" etc

Caps genealogy is superior he ages slower & is physically superior..

Mentally ,while a superb tactician..probably not as smart as Batman

(Nice Jerry Bingham art StM)

P..S Marvel vs DC is NOT a reiable source,based as it was on character popularity (not to mention other factors such as editorial bent etc)

P.P.S. I would like to see Black Panther vs Batman

namtabmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By namtabmi

I guess I'll start by saying I'm a huge Batman fan...but I'm trying not to be bias.

In my opinion, Batman wins. Ninja trumps Strength (in this case.) Batman can disappear attack Cap from anywhere at any time with any gadget. You could argue Cap can react fast enough to counter it due to his Enhanced capabilities, but I think you have to give Batman credit...he knows how to approach a physically superior opponent. He's a master strategist...he'll take Cap down.

Avatar image for strongestonethereis
StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with Cap. Cap has fought many characters with similar skill of Batman.But how many have Batman fought with similar power and skill as Cap? I can only think of Bane and he isn't close to Caps' fighting skill in my opinion.

Avatar image for captain_awesome85
Captain_Awesome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America, while not as good as the batman movie, would definitely take him in a fight.

soundjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By soundjam

@daak1212 said:

Yeah, its official. Bat-boner is my new favorite word. Though batman actually could win just by crushing cap to death with the sheer amount off books he's featured in each month.

namtabmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By namtabmi

@soundjam said:

I know most of you can't get over your bat-boners, but lets look at this the way it would happen in an actual comic. Captain America would beat Batman fairly handily. Bats would barely escape, invent some kind of anti-patriotism beam, and then get along with destroying Caps. Yes, Batman always wins. But its always wins eventually, and I just don't see him taking down the captain with zero prep time.

One on One in a ring...Cap would destroy Batman. In the fighting "arena" described in the post Batman can disappear and choose when and where to strike. Batman wins.

neiliusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By neiliusprime

not even gonna read the comment threads, there will be an overflow of "Batman always wins" comments........