Debaters Hall of Fame Round 7: RESULTS

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@illuminatus: I will let this one slide, but only because my brain broke trying to understand.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@buckshot: I agree. Forever should be inducted irrespective of this vote. I know he damn well earned his place.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#203  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@buckshot: I agree. Forever should be inducted irrespective of this vote. I know he damn well earned his place.

I was thinking about doing it actually. I was debating if it would undermine the community voting aspect of the whole thing, but then, most of the community that knew him is gone (which is why he'll likely never make it in any of these threads) and anyone who isn't would want him there. The other issue though is that there isn't a place where this list is kept for me to change it. Or if there is, I don't know where it is because I've not cared enough to find out.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Chaos Prime

@the_creator@buckshot regarding forever imo u should either include him in the original list as a 6th member of the Hof or do the whole thing again for the first HoF awards.

As the majority have already stated many dont know zero about him & to sully this years HoF with remarks like unjustified is not on imo.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#205 BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@chaos_prime: That's how I'd do it, put him in right at the top with the rest of the original Hall of Fame.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Chaos Prime

@buckshot said:

@chaos_prime: That's how I'd do it, put him in right at the top with the rest of the original Hall of Fame.

I agree 100%

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I was never around for this 'Forever' guy but the way people speak about him here I feel as if he NEEDS to be in the HOF.

I read some of his posts and they were fantastic. So even though I may not have ever had a conversation with him, I'm in agreement that he deserves a spot.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lvenger said:

@illuminatus: Whilst I would say more than one scan can come in handy when trying to support or strengthen a point, I get where you're coming from. People do over-rely on scans nowadays to make their cases.

Waaaagh. In a way I know this is directed at me, being that guy described to the T. However I am a firm believer in seeing proof than taking some shmucks word for it. I been in too many debates where someone tells me one thing, think its true, only to see later it was out of context or complete BS how they described it.

That is not how I debate, we all have styles and I own every comic my scans come from. I spent countless hours scanning my own crap as well.

Im tired of hearing people cry over one style over another. I never give my wins to CaV for people who never show proof of claims. But I do not bash on people styles either.

It's not wholly aimed at you at all Cadence. I'm noting a trend that has arisen in the battle forums and whilst I don't fully agree with Illuminatus that scans should completely be ignored in favour of logical arguments, the latter should be prioritised before the former IMO. I try and mix both styles of debating in my own arguments.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I was never around for this 'Forever' guy but the way people speak about him here I feel as if he NEEDS to be in the HOF.

I read some of his posts and they were fantastic. So even though I may not have ever had a conversation with him, I'm in agreement that he deserves a spot.

QFT but I disagree with @buckshot and @the_creator's posts that he should be inducted regardless of votes. Respectfully, I feel that undermines the community participation in choosing the candidates for the HOF. If I were in Forever's position, I'd want to get into the HOF fair and square with getting votes rather than being put in regardless of what other people's thoughts are. And it isn't fair on the other nominees who are also deserving of a place in the HOF.

I concede that a lot of the votes came down to which debaters people knew and that's probably why I nearly got into the HOF myself because people knew of my recent debates. But the fairest way to get into the HOF is to post debates you've been in and let people judge for themselves. That's why I voted for Forever and that's the democratic way things should be done IMO.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@cadencev2 said:

Waaaagh. In a way I know this is directed at me, being that guy described to the T. However I am a firm believer in seeing proof than taking some shmucks word for it. I been in too many debates where someone tells me one thing, think its true, only to see later it was out of context or complete BS how they described it.

That is not how I debate, we all have styles and I own every comic my scans come from. I spent countless hours scanning my own crap as well.

Im tired of hearing people cry over one style over another. I never give my wins to CaV for people who never show proof of claims. But I do not bash on people styles either.

It's not wholly aimed at you at all Cadence. I'm noting a trend that has arisen in the battle forums and whilst I don't fully agree with Illuminatus that scans should completely be ignored in favour of logical arguments, the latter should be prioritised before the former IMO. I try and mix both styles of debating in my own arguments.

Im kinda butt hurt at you and God_Spawn for this right now. I feel I do make great use of scans with Counter arguments, but lately all I hear from Veteran debaters is how I make nothing more than Respect Threads.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lvenger said:

@cadencev2 said:

Im kinda butt hurt at you and God_Spawn for this right now. I feel I do make great use of scans with Counter arguments, but lately all I hear from Veteran debaters is how I make nothing more than Respect Threads.

In all fairness, you do tend to put feats first and foremost, and tend to make real arguments secondary, and even tertiary. I do love that you've brought feats to become more prominent in debates, and that's one of the primary reasons I voted for you, so take the rest of what I'm stating as constructive criticism.. That being said, you are easily one of the most aggressive debaters on comicvine, and as threads go on I have observed on multiple occasions that you have been known to get more than a little insulting when people don't agree with your opinion. Personally, I think that you are at your best in your first few posts in any debate. However, as debates go on you seem to attack other people's posting, understate the points they've been trying to make, start skimming over the message their trying to make, and sometimes just flat out dismiss an argument entirely and claim superiority. You are not always to blame for this, though, as I've observed more than a few threads where others seem to attack you first, your scans reliability, or seem to just be trolling you. At the same time, I feel you would do much better and gain a lot more respect if you kept a much more level head in debates, and tried a little hard to respect other arguments while making your own.

Again, I voted for you for a reason, and I really do believe you do an excellent job on this site, and I do like debating with you. I also think you played a major role in teaching people on this site that not all wild claims can be taken for face value, and that sometimes a statement needs to backed up; which some people dislike, but I personally think it's a push forward in debating (as part of any great debate should be providing evidence to support your conclusions).

@god_spawn I'm gonna tag you in here, because you were mentioned by name in the post I'm quoting, and think you should at least see that this response is here in case you'd like to comment further.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floopay said:

In all fairness, you do tend to put feats first and foremost, and tend to make real arguments secondary, and even tertiary. I do love that you've brought feats to become more prominent in debates, and that's one of the primary reasons I voted for you, so take the rest of what I'm stating as constructive criticism.. That being said, you are easily one of the most aggressive debaters on comicvine, and as threads go on I have observed on multiple occasions that you have been known to get more than a little insulting when people don't agree with your opinion. Personally, I think that you are at your best in your first few posts in any debate. However, as debates go on you seem to attack other people's posting, understate the points they've been trying to make, start skimming over the message their trying to make, and sometimes just flat out dismiss an argument entirely and claim superiority. You are not always to blame for this, though, as I've observed more than a few threads where others seem to attack you first, your scans reliability, or seem to just be trolling you. At the same time, I feel you would do much better and gain a lot more respect if you kept a much more level head in debates, and tried a little hard to respect other arguments while making your own.

Again, I voted for you for a reason, and I really do believe you do an excellent job on this site, and I do like debating with you. I also think you played a major role in teaching people on this site that not all wild claims can be taken for face value, and that sometimes a statement needs to backed up; which some people dislike, but I personally think it's a push forward in debating (as part of any great debate should be providing evidence to support your conclusions).

@god_spawn I'm gonna tag you in here, because you were mentioned by name in the post I'm quoting, and think you should at least see that this response is here in case you'd like to comment further.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

I do have a hot head and others remind me of that. I hear ya what your saying.

Check out my recent 2 debates vs Kidman650 and GhostRavage. Im am ignoring my current style for what I use to do when I first joined. See if that keeps from overwhelming people with the scan bombs.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cadencev2: K. I try to vote on those threads, but I have a very limited time on Comicvine, and always keep them open in tabs on my browser, but I usually only get about halfway through before I get distracted. If I were being honest, I only vote in about 1 out of every 5 threads I'm asked to vote in, so I'm working on that.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floopay said:

@cadencev2: K. I try to vote on those threads, but I have a very limited time on Comicvine, and always keep them open in tabs on my browser, but I usually only get about halfway through before I get distracted. If I were being honest, I only vote in about 1 out of every 5 threads I'm asked to vote in, so I'm working on that.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

I hate voting on threads with more than 5 posts of back and forth.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#218  Edited By Wolverine008

@floopay said:

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Loading Video...

I do have a hot head and others remind me of that. I hear ya what your saying.

Check out my recent 2 debates vs Kidman650 and GhostRavage. Im am ignoring my current style for what I use to do when I first joined. See if that keeps from overwhelming people with the scan bombs.