Comicvine Army Battle of the Week: Frost Giants VS Chitauri

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Comicvine Army Battle of the Week: Frost Giants VS Chitauri (29 votes)

Frost Giants 45%
Chitauri 52%
Stalemate 3%

Comicvine Army Battle of the Week

No Caption Provided

I'm gonna be doing one of these a week.

Picking two fictional armies, generally from Live Action movies (though not always, suggestions in PM are welcome) and pitting them against each other.

Rules for combat are as follows:

1. Neither team has knowledge or prep
  2. Armies start 250m apart
  3. Infantry will come with specified equipment. If not specified, assume standard equipment
  4. Armies fight with their respective morals
  5. They will fight with tactics displayed in their appearences. If no style of combat is displayed, assume a standard level of tactical accumen
  6. Battles are over when the total forces on one side of the conflict are destroyed
  7. Please give as detailed an answer as you can
  8. An argument for both factions will be edited into the OP, as well as an overall best argument.

Week 1: Frost Giants VS Chitauri

Frost Giants Army

300 Frost Giants w/ Ice Weapons

No Caption Provided

150 Brute Frost Giants (Hailstrum)

No Caption Provided

70 Frost Beasts

No Caption Provided

Laufey w/ The Casket of Eternal Winter and Ice Weapons

No Caption Provided

-

Chitauri

400 Chitauri Foot Soldiers w/ Alien Rifle's

No Caption Provided

50 Chitauri Chariots

No Caption Provided

2 Leviathan's

No Caption Provided

Loki w/ Sceptre

No Caption Provided

-

No Caption Provided

Battle takes place on a frozen lake. Armies start 250m apart. Armies can make tactical withdrawals into the forest if need be.

Viner Arguments

Winner

-

Best for Frost Giants

-

Best for Chitauri

-

• 
Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, please indicate if you want to be tagged in the future :)

Avatar image for deathstrokefan1626
DeathStrokeFan1626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chitauri: I simply think they have the best capabilities here, they will have an easier time controlling the frost giants via their rifles and Chitauri chariots but more notably the two leviathans will give them a pretty big leg up. If they were all ground forces i would probably go ice giants, however the Chitauri having so much range that it puts them in the better spot.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chitauri based on the fact they have the better big units. 70 Frost beasts seems like overkill until you realize the Chitauri have both

• Aircraft
  • Leviathans (Much, much bigger than anything the Frost giants have)

Nothing the Giants have can deal with the Leviathans and they'll have difficulty fighting the chariots.

The ranged disparity between regular units (Chitauri Soldiers vs Frost giants) isn't that large. The Chitauri have the edge due to rifles but the Frost giants have ice shards.

Laufey with the Casket is a bit of a wild card. We know its capable of freezing powerful individuals (Heimdal) but against the sceptre he's probably outranged and outgunned.

For these reasons I given the Chitauri 9/10, with the single Frost giant win being a hail mary scenario where they somehow take down the Leviathans.

I'd like to be tagged

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chitauri should win

The grounded Chitauri get decimated, but I don't see a reliable way for the frost giants to deal with the Levathians. Maybe the frost beasts can swarm a Levathian when it gets close to the ground, but I wouldn't count on that, especially with the Chitauri chariots providing aerial support

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spector_Rand

Bump :)

Flash1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spector_rand: Dude I wanna help you with this so if we could have a PM or something,I can help you put out threads make different kinds of things like this and that kinda stuff

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. Well, there are some things that we should consider.

Laufey is going to be a problem for the Chitauri, the Casket of Ancient Winters will drop a vast majority of their ground troops almost instantly, with their chariot warriors and Loki himself, I can see the Chitauri and Loki dropping him, but the damage would be already done.

Now they would have some of the air troops (A few would be destroyed by the winds) and the Leviathans. They would need to use their range advantage and movement advantage to turn the tides, but now the battlefield would be changed and would give a massive advantage to the Giants. Eventually, I see the Frost Beasts reaching the Leviathans and dropping them, while the Giants in the ground would be launching projectiles at the chariots and the Leviathans too.

Interesting battle though, but I think that this time Magic will prevail over Technology this time, mainly because 70 frost beasts isn't something to play with and the possibility of the Casket of Ancient Winters to drop a lot of Chitauri's ground troops. Besides that, the physical advantages of the Giants will give the aliens trouble when they manage to reach their Leviathans.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spector_rand: Nice idea, tag me in future.

I'd have to say Frost Giants take this one. The Chitauri weapons couldn't do any damage to Cap's suit (although it did noticeably injure him), and the general Frost giants seem to be quite a bit tougher requiring multiple attacks from Asgardians to kill them. I see no reason why the ice beasts can't just do what Stark did and tear the Leviathans apart from the inside; there's plenty enough of them to do so. The main advantage of the Chitauri are their flyers, however the Frost Giants have so much manipulation of the environment (especially with Laufey involved) here they can essentially keep themselves covered from the flyers until they hit them with an ice spike. Loki with the scepter should be able to beat Laufey, but there will simply be far too many Frost giants, not to mention probably quite a few of the ice beasts still remaining that will rip him in half.

Frost Giants Army 8-9/10

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

The Chitauri ground forces will probably be decimated, but their aerial power would likely afford them the win.

That said, the CoAW is a potentially pivotal extraneous variable, it was stated that it could plunge entire realms into Winter and we saw it firing ice blasts. However, I don't think, based on what we saw, it's going to turn the tide of this battle, the Chitauri were functioning fine in space. Still, while we never really got to see it in action, we were pretty much left to assume that it would give Laufey the power necessary to contend with Odin and the Asgardians.

I think it probably will go to the Chitauri in the end based on what we actually know. If I were Loki, I'd hang back and send in the two Leviathans first, just to lay waste to the ground units and smash them to pieces. The Leviathans will go down eventually, but not before decimating the Frost Giant forces due to their sheer size, strength and durability. The impact of them being brought down alone would inflict mass casualties.

Then the Chitauri, despite their inferior ground troops, will go into the wreckage with haste and inflict mass carnage due to the fact that the Frost Giants will be restructuring themselves at this point and because of the aerial aid of the chariots who will light up the remaining Frost Giant forces. The remaining Frost Beasts will be able to bring down at any chariots that fly too low as will Frost Giant ice blasts and the Frost Giants infantry is still superior to the Chitauri's, but by this point I think the Frost Giant forces will be much less numerous than the Chitauri's and the aerial power would overwhelm them. It would still be hard fought.

Amnesiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with the frost giants and great battle btw

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see people like it :)

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hiddenlight

@ready_4_madness said:

Chitauri bullets couldn't keep Cap down. The Frost Giants win IMO.

No Caption Provided

If 18~20 Chitauris restrained and hurted the Hulk, who could fodderize any Frost giant, this sheer number would be enough.

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: I voted for the giants in my argument above, I just don't think that Chitauris would be unable to damage them, they barely tagged Thor tbh, his armour tanked far worse, and I don't remember the giants damaging him that much either.

Hulk fights against Thor and Hulkbuster is beyond any of the giants excluding Laufey, but he is probably getting a rematch against Thor in Ragnarok so we will see more.

Flash1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Chitauri.

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

50% for each, cool.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Giants have no way of putting down the Leviathans.

Dre_Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't the Giants have that HUGE monster that came up from the ground?

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't the Giants have that HUGE monster that came up from the ground?

They have 70 of those here.