Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Green Arrow vs. Punisher

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Green Arrow vs. Punisher (519 votes)

Green Arrow 38%
Punisher 54%
Too close to call 7%

Ollie or Frank? If you vote, be sure to say WHY a character earned your support below!

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. They start roughly 40 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire city region is on limits.
  • For Oliver, his equipment is the trick arrows we've seen him use in the New 52 and a fair amount of regular arrows. For Frank, his equipment is a healthy variety of standard firearms and knives.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

FIRST VOTE GREEN ARROW!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Great matchup. Not going to vote yet, but I'm leaning towards Green Arrow here.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Damn this is tough....

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Ollie is going to get the majority votes, but my gut is telling to vote for Frank.

.....idk

Awwww hell, Castle ftw

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Before we go any further, I'm just putting it out there.

Bullets > Arrows

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bullets > Arrows

It's comics we're talking about here, bullets are jobbers :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

Bullets > Arrows

It's comics we're talking about here, bullets are jobbers :D

True. Everyone and their grandmother has dodged/deflected gunfire. :p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I should throw this feat up as it half-answers the question "Can Frank shoot arrows mid-flight", to which I think the answer is yes.

No Caption Provided

Frank was capable of shooting Daredevils thrown billy club, at close range, after it was ricocheted from under a car. Given how fast Daredevil can throw them, the unpredictable nature of the throw, and how close range the throw was, I think it's safe to say that Green Arrow opening up with a barrage of arrows won't do the job. On the same token Green Arrow can probably dodge gunfire, but Punisher isn't just some thug with a pistol.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't getting a lot of attention, I guess nobody cares about Green Arrow or Punisher. Lol

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Doomnaut

Punisher....for the win!

Punisher gives Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Daredevil trouble.

Punisher kills Stilt-Man

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

My vote is for Punisher, but the best Castle is still Richard Castle.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Hopefully some good arguments and feats will be posted here later on to sway my judgement. Still leaning towards Ollie's superior marksmanship and array of trick arrows over Frank's gun arsenal.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@doomnaut: Just fyi this is a random encounter. In that Ennis issue, Frank had prep and much more gear.

specialmonkey7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Punisher, hands down. It would be an amazing fight with bullets and arrows peppering the air. Blood would flow on both ends but when it really comes down to it; Ollie Queen doesn't have the fire in his heart that Frank Castle does. Sure, he has the spirit, he has the drive to do good but Frank Castle is a machine at this point. He is the angel of death and his mission is the destruction of crime in general and he can't let anything stand in his way. Though he wouldn't kill Ollie, Frank would make sure that he stayed down before it was over. Ollie knows arrows, Frank knows almost everything else AND arrows....

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

May we not use Garth Ennis written Punisher stories where he lowballs people like Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hullk, etc. just to pump up Castle to try just Punisher winning?

funckygarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow

he's more experienced, more agile, more accurate with targets, better trained, a high class of escape artist and he has dodged heavy weaponry many times before. I give this to Green Arrow, however that doesn't mean that he will win easily, it's absolutely the opposite, you can guarantee he will get out of this encounter with a life-threatening injury or heavily wounded. Green Arrow will have to rely on his accuracy in shooting arrows from far away, because in close-range, Frank Castle will smoke him with his heavy weapons.

but there's something the OP didn't mention, how about their morals? I don't have to question The Punisher's morals, because he doesn't have any. how about Green Arrow? is he willing to kill?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow

he's more experienced, more agile, more accurate with targets, better trained, a high class of escape artist and he has dodged heavy weaponry many times before. I give this to Green Arrow, however that doesn't mean that he will win easily, it's absolutely the opposite, you can guarantee he will get out of this encounter with a life-threatening injury or heavily wounded. Green Arrow will have to rely on his accuracy in shooting arrows from far away, because in close-range, Frank Castle will smoke him with his heavy weapons.

but there's something the OP didn't mention, how about their morals? I don't have to question The Punisher's morals, because he doesn't have any. how about Green Arrow? is he willing to kill?

How is he more experienced? Lol Also, it's debatable who is more accurate "with targets". Sure, a still-non moving target would be easy for either of them to hit, but a moving target is more important. I already gave the feat of Frank shooting Daredevils baton mid-flight - what has Ollie done in comparison? What are his best marksmanship feats and what credible marksman has he dodged gunfire from?

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

this is a hard one, but I have to go with Punisher.

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OreoAssassin

Punisher. I would give reasons but @i_like_swords: has already given good reasons to prove that Punisher wins.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The Punisher, hands down. It would be an amazing fight with bullets and arrows peppering the air. Blood would flow on both ends but when it really comes down to it; Ollie Queen doesn't have the fire in his heart that Frank Castle does. Sure, he has the spirit, he has the drive to do good but Frank Castle is a machine at this point. He is the angel of death and his mission is the destruction of crime in general and he can't let anything stand in his way. Though he wouldn't kill Ollie, Frank would make sure that he stayed down before it was over. Ollie knows arrows, Frank knows almost everything else AND arrows....

this

@funckygarcon said:

Green Arrow

How is he more experienced? Lol Also, it's debatable who is more accurate "with targets". Sure, a still-non moving target would be easy for either of them to hit, but a moving target is more important. I already gave the feat of Frank shooting Daredevils baton mid-flight - what has Ollie done in comparison? What are his best marksmanship feats and what credible marksman has he dodged gunfire from?

And I agree,I personally think that Punisher is much more experienced. Not even counting his experience with War,the dude has basically (in his war on crime) made some of the most kills in the Marvel Universe and also means that he's been in the game for quite a long time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@funckygarcon said:

Green Arrow

And I agree,I personally think that Punisher is much more experienced. Not even counting his experience with War,the dude has basically (in his war on crime) made some of the most kills in the Marvel Universe and also means that he's been in the game for quite a long time.

Yeah, exactly. Frank is pretty much Marvels answer to the old guy swinging his walking stick going "get off my lawn! damn youngsters.."

Except instead of an old man, it's the Punisher, and instead of a walking stick, it's an M60 XD

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@cameron83 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@funckygarcon said:

Green Arrow

Yeah, exactly. Frank is pretty much Marvels answer to the old guy swinging his walking stick going "get off my lawn! damn youngsters.."

Except instead of an old man, it's the Punisher, and instead of a walking stick, it's an M60 XD

LMFAO XD

I mean,no doubt that Ollie is also very skilled (not only because of his Island experience but because he fights crime on the streets),it's just that (especially in terms of the latter),Green Arrow doesn't really hold a candle to him.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm... Haven't voted yet.

IF Frank had any reason to think Ollie deserved to be punished (by death, of course), he would win this. 100%. He is always much more in the game when he has a target in front of him that he wants to kill. Foghting other heroes is something where he struggles.

But without that edge, I would give it to Ollie... I think.

ghost_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

punisher. Hes more experienced, he have a more tactical mind, and can definitely take arrow on in close range (he has knives for that)

sure arrow has his trick arrows, but pinisher has a heavy variety of fire arms plus punisher isnt afraid to maim or even kill green arrow.

This is the most important point; Rate Of Fire! it doesnt matter how fast arrow is hes only human, he can only fire his arrows so fast, punisher again has the advantage here. He has guns, rapid fire fully automatic guns! need i say more?

Beerminator1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In this situation, Punisher

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frank is a beast!

Komicsdude79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Punisher is an ex-military, a war hero - and cold blooded fighter... He is a winner !

Avatar image for lordofdarkness1978
Lordofdarkness1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punisher. He has the training,the will,the killer instinct,and tbf,probably a higher pain threshold. I could see Castle taking multiple arrows,and still be in a fit shape to contest this fight. Queen,tough as he is,I just don't think could say the same....

mister garbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to give this to the Punisher. While Green Arrow is incredibly skilled and has enough trick arrows and aim to put nearly anyone down, Frank has the experience over him. He's seen it all. He's taken on Hawkeye and probably a dozen other archers time and time again, and would likely be able to adapt to being shot at by crazy-ass arrows. Frank can take a ridiculous amount of damage and keep on going through sheer will/determination. He's also willing/determined to see his hunt through to the bitter, bloody end. Hel, he nearly took out the Avengers recently, just about on his own.

Additionally, OIiver seems the type to get a little cocky (much like a lot of the archers in comics) from time to time and would probably view this as an easy finish, somehow looking to trap the Punisher with a trick arrow right off the bat. If his first shot isn't a lethal blow, he's likely done for the minute he goes in to apprehend his prey, if Frank doesn't escape sooner.

ghost_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

punisher. Hes more experienced, he have a more tactical mind, and can definitely take arrow on in close range (he has knives for that)

sure arrow has his trick arrows, but pinisher has a heavy variety of fire arms plus punisher isnt afraid to maim or even kill green arrow.

This is the most important point; Rate Of Fire! it doesn't matter how fast arrow is hes only human, he can only fire his arrows so fast, punisher again has the advantage here. He has guns, rapid fire fully automatic guns! need i say more?

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#31  Edited By SynCig

This is probably the closest match-up so far in my opinion. I am having a hard time even picking a winner here so I say too close to call.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@komicsdude79:

The Punisher is an ex-military, a war hero - and cold blooded murderer... He is a winner !

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if we consider their skills equal i think Frank gets points on his rage.

But is Frank trying to kill Olliver?

clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

if no morals, green arrow wins,

if morals, too close to call, their skills are pretty equivalent, and their fighting style in close range, even if they are different, is complementary

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I think this explains my choice well enough.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:
No Caption Provided

I think this explains my choice well enough.

This

funckygarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By funckygarcon

G

@i_like_swords said:

you seem to underestimate Green Arrow. the guy has gone toe to toe with Deathstroke and held his ground. freaking Deathstroke, don't tell me that Frank is even in the same league as him. and if you want feats about green arrow, just dip your fishing pole into the water and you'll find one. instead, i'll do that for you.

no need to say anything
no need to say anything

blocked two guns barrels with two arrows. which means that he can shoot arrows simultaneously and also faster than someone who shoots bullets
blocked two guns barrels with two arrows. which means that he can shoot arrows simultaneously and also faster than someone who shoots bullets

owning Batman before even training with Deathstroke's mentor. and this fight eventually came to a tie
owning Batman before even training with Deathstroke's mentor. and this fight eventually came to a tie

dodges heavy artillery fire
dodges heavy artillery fire

hits a target from several football pitches away
hits a target from several football pitches away

he ties a man with an arrow, from the other side of a wall
he ties a man with an arrow, from the other side of a wall

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@funckygarcon: Green Arrow is NOT Batman's equal when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. That was either bad writing or PIS. Green Arrow at the most can hang his own against Bruce for a while, but nothing more.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jwalser3

Frank.

KingStandup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so bias toward Frank Castle and to be perfectly honest my initial reaction was, "Seriously? The Punisher will destroy this guy!" Or something to that effect. Anyway, since I am not too familiar with the Green Arrow, I figured it would be wise to read up on him a bit first. Eventually, I decided (well, bias kicked in again) that I was sticking with the Punisher. Frank Castle is relentless and ultimately he would win this one.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awww man I was really expecting it to be Big Amorphous Blob instead of Punisher. Oh well.

funckygarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funckygarcon: Green Arrow is NOT Batman's equal when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. That was either bad writing or PIS. Green Arrow at the most can hang his own against Bruce for a while, but nothing more.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

if he can hang with Bruce Wayne, one of the best martial artists in DC. that gives you an idea about how much it would take him to defeat The Punisher who's inferior to Green Arrow in martial arts, agility, accuracy and multi tasking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G

@i_like_swords said:

you seem to underestimate Green Arrow. the guy has gone toe to toe with Deathstroke and held his ground. freaking Deathstroke, don't tell me that Frank is even in the same league as him. and if you want feats about green arrow, just dip your fishing pole into the water and you'll find one. instead, i'll do that for you.

I'm not underestimating him, but nobody had posted any feats for him. I was just giving Frank a case.

He went toe-to-toe with Deathstroke because he planned out the fight down to the wire and caught him off guard. He trained for a year in swordsmanship and general fighting ability, which caught Deathstroke off guard. He then lured him into a trap, and forced him into a pit which glued his feet to the ground. Ollie was wearing shoes which didn't stick. Even with all of that, he let Deathstroke escape. So he prepped for fighting Deathstroke, had his mobility impaired and still couldn't take him down. Not so impressive.

Scan debunking

Scans 1 & 2 are of Green Arrow shooting his arrows into the guns of fodder henchmen. Nobody anywhere near the skill level of Frank. Frank has shot Daredevils billy club at close range and deflected Captain Americas shield throw.

So if you think he's not going to be able to react to arrow-fire, you're wrong.

Scan 3, if you can call it that, is just Green Arrow punching Batman. You've not shown the fight or it's context, so there's not much we can take away from that.

Scan 4 - Every street leveller under the sun has dodged gun fire. Not too impressive nowadays.

Scan 5 - Yeah, he can hit a still target from a long distance. So can Frank. However, that bares no relevance to this fight because they both start relatively close, and Green Arrow isn't shooting at a target, and Punisher is shooting back.

Scan 6 - That's nice I guess.. don't see what it brings to this fight though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

if he can hang with Bruce Wayne, one of the best martial artists in DC. that gives you an idea about how much it would take him to defeat The Punisher who's inferior to Green Arrow in martial arts, agility, accuracy and multi tasking.

So what if he can "hang with" Batman? Punisher has "hung with" Daredevil, who is by all accounts Batman's equal in fighting skill. Just because you can hang with them doesn't mean you can then say he can beat another person. Aside from that, I would of thought this would be a long ranged fight, not in hand-to-hand.

funckygarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funckygarcon said:

G

@i_like_swords said:

I'm not underestimating him, but nobody had posted any feats for him. I was just giving Frank a case.

He went toe-to-toe with Deathstroke because he planned out the fight down to the wire and caught him off guard. He trained for a year in swordsmanship and general fighting ability, which caught Deathstroke off guard. He then lured him into a trap, and forced him into a pit which glued his feet to the ground. Ollie was wearing shoes which didn't stick. Even with all of that, he let Deathstroke escape. So he prepped for fighting Deathstroke, had his mobility impaired and still couldn't take him down. Not so impressive.

Scan debunking

Scans 1 & 2 are of Green Arrow shooting his arrows into the guns of fodder henchmen. Nobody anywhere near the skill level of Frank. Frank has shot Daredevils billy club at close range and deflected Captain Americas shield throw.

Scan 3, if you can call it that, is just Green Arrow punching Batman. You've not shown the fight or it's context, so there's not much we can take away from that.

Scan 4 - Every street leveller under the sun has dodged gun fire. Not too impressive nowadays.

Scan 5 - Yeah, he can hit a still target from a long distance. So can Frank. However, that bares no relevance to this fight because they both start relatively close, and Green Arrow isn't shooting at a target, and Punisher is shooting back.

you're wrong about the deathstroke fight I mean. I'm talking about how he incapacitated Deathstroke in Identity Crisis. and about the barrel blocking thing? I think a barrel ready to spit out a bullet being blocked by an arrow is far more impressive than shooting a billy club. oh and he blocked two barrels simultaneously with one shot. you can't deny that Ollie is more skilled than Frank Castle.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Good arguments, mmm... Punisher has my vote.

funckygarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not saying this fight will be a walk in the park for Oliver. I'm not underestimating Frank. It's just that Oliver is more skilled overall and will win this fight thanks to his unmatched accuracy in shooting arrows. I did say that Oliver will get out of this fight heavily injured and possibly with deadly wounds, cuz The Punisher ain't no push over.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow by a landslide. Though Frank may know weaponry, GA has an arsenal of wild tricks I guarantee he's never even thought of before. There are DOZENS of different arrows Ollie can call on. Not only that, Ollie is much more agile which will help out in a fire fight. Also, anyone who says "BUT THE PUNISHER USES GUNS!" needs to go home: Queen is the king of beating enemies armed with automatic weaponry (sorry, couldn't resist). He's taken down numerous gunmen on his own before (most recently seen in Issue 22 of his solo series).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funckygarcon said:

@i_like_swords said:

@funckygarcon said:

G

@i_like_swords said:

Scan debunking

you're wrong about the deathstroke fight I mean. I'm talking about how he incapacitated Deathstroke in Identity Crisis. and about the barrel blocking thing? I think a barrel ready to spit out a bullet being blocked by an arrow is far more impressive than shooting a billy club. oh and he blocked two barrels simultaneously with one shot. you can't deny that Ollie is more skilled than Frank Castle.

Well why don't you either give the fight some clear context or better yet, pull up some scans. Even take some pictures of it.

Green Arrow didn't shoot his arrow faster than the bullet could leave the barrel. He fired his arrow either before, or just as a fodder henchman could pull the trigger. Frank shooting a billy club from one of the top-tier, best fighters in Marvel is leagues more impressive, especially given the fact DD ricocheted the shot from under a car, and it was close range.

Yes, I can deny Ollie is more skilled. I'll refuse denying that when you actually pull up some scans that are either relevant, or put Ollie in the same league as Frank.

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn these are some good points:D sticking with Frank still