Comic Vine Battle of the Week Results: Faora vs. Thor (Movie Versions)

• 167 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The man who held back Hulk or Zod's ally who smacked Superman all over Smallville? If these two faced-off in a random encounter, who'd be left standing? That's what we asked the Comic Vine community on Monday and, since then, over 500 Viners have voted and engaged in a debate which lasted a whopping 11 pages. Do they think Faora's speed and skill is too much? Or, do they think Thor's toughness and Mjolnir would lead him to victory? The poll fluctuated a fair amount at first, but as the week progressed, it became clear one character was earning more support and would take the win: Thor.

No Caption Provided

Chris Hemsworth's character earned 51% of the votes. Faora took a respectable 44% and only 4% thought it was too close to call. Key arguments which were brought up to support Thor revolved around his durability, pain tolerance, experience, and the wealthy amount of options his signature weapons provide.

However, I have to say I disagree with the majority on this one. Yes, Thor certainly has the potential to overcome his opponent, but her skill, strength and speed are massive factors here. The dude has more than proven he can remain conscious after some serious beatings, and in due time, he could realize he needs to deploy more powerful attacks with Mjolnir or disable her helmet. Given his opponent's speed, a direct hit with a projectile or throw is unlikely, so he'd have to utilize a radial attack and then go on the offensive when she's momentarily stunned. However, this is all a moderately sized "if" in my eyes. Faora's speed is unlike anything we've seen movie Thor encounter before and her strength is quite impressive as well. She had the might to smack Kal-El around and quite literally throw him across a town. Her strikes took a momentary toll on Clark, and while he was indeed new to wearing the cape, his physicals were still incredibly high. Prior to the fight, he smashed into a mountain while flying and was able to get up mere moments later. There's nothing to imply she's stronger than Thor, but she absolutely has the strength required to have him feel the impact of her hits and, if she keeps at it, a successful and effective recovery in this fight from Odin's son just doesn't seem too probable. Her durability implies she could stand up to a direct connect from Thor's hammer to the torso, too. It's debatable how many knocks it would take to shutdown her helmet. One powerful strike or a couple moderate ones to the noggin could damage her helmet and expose her to Earth's conditions, in turn leaving he vulnerable and open to more attacks. But, seeing as it took numerous hits from Superman, projectiles from the military and then a missile to keep her down, it's more than fair to say she's one tough opponent who's very unlikely to go down so soon.

No Caption Provided

No matter which side you think would win, there's simply no denying the fact her speed and aggressiveness gives her an immediate edge and she's sure to dictate the early course of the fight. However, what follows is where we'll all see things differently. To some, Thor may be able to make a swift recovery and do what must be done to earn the victory. Although, considering his lackluster response after being struck by Kurse -- an attack similar to the time Faora threw Superman across the town -- I have to think Faora absolutely has what it takes to keep Thor down before he can properly recover land a critical attack. Her arrogance could indeed give Thor the window he needs to land a game-changing attack (a couple of wins for Thor can definitely be credited to this), but ultimately, her speed, viciousness and strength should suffice in taking the victory in a random encounter. Even if she takes a break to babble, there's just no guarantee Thor will be in a position to take full advantage of the moment. For all we know, he can be slowly getting back up after suffering a vicious combo. There's no certainty this window would let him bombard her with lightning or smash the ground. It's possible, sure, but there's nothing to imply this could happen a majority of the encounters. Thor wouldn't be easy to put down, but personally, I can see her doing it after a brutal fight. But alas, the people have spoken and they have declared Thor the winner.

Like stated above, there was a staggering debate for this one which spawned 11 pages of conversation. Debates like this are why this segment was created in the first place and it's great to see so many people chime in. Let's go ahead and take a look at a standout post that was made in favor of each character. By the way, it wasn't easy picking two this week -- some impressive augments were presented for both sides, so if you're one of those people, give yourself a pat on the back.

Viner Argument of the Week for Thor is by LB70145

"The night sky crackles with thunder as a man with Asgardian armor, golden hair, red cape, and glowing blue hammer sees his opponent. A woman stands across the street covered head to toe in a Kryptonian battle suit, a holographic display on her face mask reveals a cold piercing stare. Thor and Faora would only see each other as peculiar looking humans at first, it is only when she speeds towards Thor and strikes him that she realizes he is not what he seems. Thor then retaliates and sees that this armor is not like the red and gold suit of the Armored Avengers known as Iron Man. "You seem tougher than Asgardian Women. Let's see if you can best Thor the Thunderer," he quips. The slug fest begins. Blow after building shattering blow is exchanged. Both warriors using instinct to strike and counter. Over time, Thor realizes that this foe will not be subdued. In fact, her savagery reminds him of the Hulk. He knocks her into a building and as she is sent flying, he calls upon a whirlwind to give himself some cover. As Faora emerges from the building's rubble, all she sees is high speed winds and lightning in the sky. With all his might, Thor calls forth all the lightning he can muster. It completely devastates the area Faora was standing in. She lays unconscious in what was once a building. For good measure, Thor lays Mjolnir on her chest to keep her from escaping. He calls out to Heimdall, "Surely you have seen the devastation this warrior has wrought. I may need some assistance in vanquishing this foe." Thor is assured when he sees the familiar beams of the Bifrost create the sigil upon the ground and his allies come forth.

The reason I think that Thor will win out here is that Faora is overconfident. She has probably never encountered beings as powerful as Kryptonians before, so she would not fight with the effort needed to effectively defeat Thor. Having rewatched her scenes from Man of Steel, she clearly has a preference for using her fists. I think that she would rely on her physical prowess to defeat her enemy not her blade. The reason I feel that Thor would not be subjected to the same overconfidence is that he has already fought something more powerful than him in the past, the Hulk. Knowing this, he knows that Earth is full of surprises and that nothing should be underestimated. Heck, in all the nine realms, who knows what he has fought and killed. He has hundreds of years worth of battle prowess under his belt and that should not be taken lightly.

There is simply not enough evidence for Faora's side. It is kinda hard to say she wins when there is only one movie to draw on for her. I know people think she is bad ass but she only had a handful of screen time actually fighting. There are too many unknowns with her and the Man of Steel Universe in general. Whereas Thor has had 3 movies now and there are a lot less unknowns. His feats are more defined and I can draw from a lot of examples for why Thor would fight the way he did in my scenario. Faora just kinda speed punched everything she saw and stood there to let bullets bounce off her. Whereas Thor has fought many a beast and man in the nine realms including: Ice Giants, Loki, Iron Man, the Hulk, Chitauri, Dark Elves, Malekith, and Kurse. All of whom he had fought in varying ways. Faora is one punch fits all while Thor's style of battle depends on his enemy."

Who do you side with, Viners?
Who do you side with, Viners?

Viner Argument of the Week for Faora is by Hart7668

"I believe Faora wins this.

Thor's greatest strengths going for him are these:

• Thor, although with both arms, managed to hold up a downward strike from the Hulk in the Avengers
  • Thor, with Mjolnir, destroyed the plane the Frost Giants lived on and destroyed the Bifrost, the sort of rainbow bridge between Asgard and Midguard.
  • Thor, with much difficulty, conjured up a large amount of lightning which destroyed a lot of Chitauri and two of the flying Chitauri Behemoths that were fairly large if memory serves correctly. Not necessarily skyscraper sized, but still quite large.
  • Thor freely headbutted Iron Man without harming himself and when the two were locked in a physical struggle, he was grabbing IM's forearms and was actually crushing the suit. Iron Man's Mk III suit from IM1 'tanked' a 'tank' shot really well, only leaving minor scratches. Unlike the Mk 42 from IM3, the Mk VI from the Avengers showed to be an actual improvement to the Mk III, so the durability should be the same.

However, some of his strengths, further analyzed, may not be quite as impressive. Also, here is a small list of the things Thor has going against him and Faora has going for her:

• Thor, in the first movie, when attempting to retrieve his hammer ran into a large guard blocking his way. When the two started fighting, it was more of a wrestling and 'strength' match than it was legitimate hand-to-hand combat. Thor had his godly powers taken from him, not his memories or whatever skill he may have had without Mjolnir. This shows that the mighty warrior from Asgard relies far more on his whelming powers than he does precision or true skill. I mean, he wields a hammer, not things like a foil, or a katana.
  • Faora, on the other hand, prior to the events of MoS never had powers, so she doesn't know what it's like to rely on them. She has shown sufficient and efficient H2H maneuvers that her newfound powers only serve to amp.
  • She has also shown superhuman strength as well by chokeholding Superman (who is taller than her btw) a few feet off the ground easily and then subsequently throwing him nearly across Smallville into a bank vault door with enough force to severely dent and break the thick metal door. She also showed the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound great distances quite easily with no rabbit hops to build the momentum.
  • Thor has yet to deal with someone of similar operating and fighting speed Faora brings to the table.

It's not all candy and rainbows for Faora though. She has problems of her own:

• Faora, with her powers, is incredibly cocky. She was smirking almost her entire time on Earth, as if thinking, "These petty humans couldn't hope to scratch me, much less defeat me." That first battle, she may just saunter her way up to Thor thinking he looks pretty silly with his armor and cape and then gets whacked up side the head with Mjolnir, thus breaking her mask rendering her incapacitated. Which leads into the next, almost identical point:
  • Faora cannot handle her new senses. Yes, given time, she probably could being a trained soldier in the Kryptonian military council. But, in the movie, after she had her mask destroyed by Superman, instead of opting to get used to the environment like Zod did, she chose to have her mask fixed, meaning it may be too much to bear for her. This is the most glaring weakness for Thor to exploit. Those first few matches Thor would manage to get off at least one clean hit on Faora's mask (again, probably due to her arrogance) and then overload her senses.

Overall though, I believe Faora takes between 7-8 fights out of ten. Considering that the only real weakness Faora has is her sensory-overload due to a ruptured mask, she doesn't have too much to worry about. Maybe Thor hits that mask once, after which case, Faora will stop playing around and actually use her superior training and speed (all coupled with comparable super strength) to put Thor through his paces."

No Caption Provided

Viners, There's no teaser for next week's battle because, to be totally honest here, I'm still weighing the options. I'm trying my best to avoid generic fights you've seen a gazillion times before, so coming up with balanced and fun fights is a time consuming task! Anyhow, check the homepage Monday for an all-new CV Battle of the Week.

Previous 'Comic Vine Battle of the Week' results

Want to suggest a Battle of the Week? Feel free to comment below or send it to Gregg via Twitter. It doesn't have to be Marvel or DC!

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

I actually thought Faora would win.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

What...there is no way movie Thor can beat movie Faora

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AllStarSuperman  Online

she should have one, it was a popularity poll, with the new thor movie coming out and all.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@allstarsuperman: Yeah, I actually thought the popularity thing wouldn't happen this time since Man of Steel was so popular people would look past that. I love Thor but I still didn't think he would win, that's why I didn't vote...

TheIronLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Faora would win and having read the entire thread, there are hardly any arguments in Thor's favor that are accurate. But Thor's more popular, I guess

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@allstarsuperman said:

@themanintheshoe said:

she should have one, it was a popularity poll, with the new thor movie coming out and all.

Man of Steel hit blu-ray/DVD the week this was created, too. It was intentional since both movies were in the spotlight. I try to make this segment topical from time to time.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Faora would win and having read the entire thread, there are hardly any arguments in Thor's favor that are accurate. But Thor's more popular, I guess

yes...and he is having a bold new film just now.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@themanintheshoe said:

Man of Steel hit blu-ray/DVD the week this was created, too. It was intention since both movies were in the spotlight.

I still don't think that evens it out, but whatever its not the end of the world.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

*sigh*

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Popularity>reason strikes again with it's mighty hammer.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O_O

*pats self on the back*

Never would've dreamed it, but dang. :D Thank you @k4tzm4n! (I'm not suckin' up too much, am I?)

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

........Yeah, I don't agree either for obvious reasons, as far as the movie versions go this is a no contest for me, Faora would bust Thor up! I'm actually suprised Thor won.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

Eh...I would have given it to Faora.

lantian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lantian1

Could Faora dodge Mjolnir, shown to reach past orbit in seconds?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By TifaLockhart

@k4tzm4n: Great writeup, and I agree completely.

Remember kids, Wolverine got more votes than Lobo.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LordRequiem

Thor took plenty of hits from Kurse in the movie and he was fine.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Popularity won this match, not reason.

@lantian1 said:

Superman and Zod did the same thing and she was reacting to him just fine.

Also, that speed was a one time thing. For something moving so fast to reach orbit in a few seconds (approximately Mach 1000+), it sure took its time coming back to Thor at times.

Moreover, the inconsistencies in striking damage with Mjolnir are just as apparent. There's no guarantee that would actually do anything to her. Faora and the other Kryptonians never so much as got a scratch the entire movie. The only weakness they had was sensory overload - which Thor isn't going to know about like Superman did.

LOL. Are you serious?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By dernman

Honestly think Faora should have won.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CODYSF

This is a joke we all know Thor would get curbstomp from Faora

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CheeseSticks

Yup, Thor shouldn't have won.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Emperorb777

Not even surprised.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@tifalockhart said:

Thanks! Good to see at least one person read the entire article and isn't just ranting about the poll numbers :D

@hart7668 said:

O_O

*pats self on the back*

Never would've dreamed it, but dang. :D Thank you @k4tzm4n! (I'm not suckin' up too much, am I?)

Well earned!

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun said:

Magical lightning, for example. Big magical lightning.

vPuik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vPuik

Faora should win since she's a DC character. They don't seem to have any limits to their powers. :)

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Faora would still win. I believe the Marvel fanboys and MoS haters prolly took this one. Faora's cockyness is not a factor..isnt Thor cocky as well? Its a hero from the more non-violent universe vs a villain from the more violent universe. I believe people just sided with the hero.

Mr_Athrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mr_Athrilla

@rubear said:

@2cool4fun said:

Movie Asguardians aren't magical in nature. They're more like aliens with advanced technology.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By patrat18

Thor the dark world influenced this poll alot.

Mr_Athrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Popularity won this match, not reason.

@lantian1 said:

Superman and Zod did the same thing and she was reacting to him just fine.

Also, that speed was a one time thing. For something moving so fast to reach orbit in a few seconds (approximately Mach 1000+), it sure took its time coming back to Thor at times.

Moreover, the inconsistencies in striking damage with Mjolnir are just as apparent. There's no guarantee that would actually do anything to her. Faora and the other Kryptonians never so much as got a scratch the entire movie. The only weakness they had was sensory overload - which Thor isn't going to know about like Superman did.

@tifalockhart said:

LOL. Are you serious?

Yep, even worse, Storm of the X-men got more votes than Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@rubear said:

@2cool4fun said:

What magical lightning? Movie Thor isn't magic

Avatar image for mister_sensational
Mister_Sensational

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just could not bring myself to vote on this despite seeing Thor, Avengers, and Man of Steel (all at least 2 times), and the reason that is because I still have yet to see Thor: The Dark World which I feel you have to take into consideration since this is a scenario involving the movie versions of these characters and you have to take all movies featuring them into account. Despite Faora's pure badassness in Man of Steel I don't fault the majority on this one, remember in Thor he went up against the Destroyer and in Avengers he went up against Hulk, so in the films Thor does have some experience going up against foes that are in his strength class, and let us not forget the battle between Faora and Clark in Man of Steel was not fought solely between the two, she did have that big Kryptonian guy (who many of us thought might be Non in the early trailers and screen shots) throwing his shots at Clark throughout the fight as well.

All in all great choice on the combatants for this week's battle @k4tzm4n! Here's a quick suggestion for a future one... Faora vs. Lara Lor-Van (New 52 versions)!

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

@rubear said:

@2cool4fun said:

What magical lightning? Movie Thor isn't magic

Also, there's been no indication that the movie Kryptonians are even weak to magic. I agree that Faora should have won, for the reasons that have been mentioned in the article.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the fact Thor fans voted for him despite knowing he would get humiliated but are no where to be seen now.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Thor.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Thor winning is some serious bull, but it's not like I didn't see it coming from a mile away. His movie came out THE WEEK OF VOTING.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bummer.

edge007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor winning sounds right to me.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I loved Faora but c'mon people. She couldn't even kill Lois or Colonel Hardy. She took out human grunts and a fighter jet. Earth had no kryptonite, red sunlight or magic on their side.

Thor took on Frost Giants, destroyed the Destroyer and fought a large host of the Chitauri and beat his demi-god brother.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Faora would've won.

Avatar image for deactivated-63417c6af01d0
deactivated-63417c6af01d0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18:

It influenced me to go the other way. I originally thought Thor, but after seeing how weak he was in Dark World, along with the continued "no magic, no gods" nonsense I switched over.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MonsterStomp

Faora should win. Her speed and combative ability puts her above Thor. Thor barely utilizes the full abilities of his Mjolnir in solo (1v1) fights, he brawls more times than not which would be his downfall. Thor hasn't faced anyone as fast as Faora before, which is another factor to consider. Faora should take a 9/10 win.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not surprised with the results. I honestly wanted Faora to win and I think that she would win rather easily. With her physicals,combined with her fighting ability and SPEED,she should take this

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

People bitching about how Thor 2 influenced the poll etc...

Like this is the first time "Popularity" affect the result...

I voted for Faora, @hart7668 did too (and put up hell of an argument btw)...and you don't see him bitching about it here.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Kerrigan

Have to say, I don't like the movie fights so much. There's such a scant amount of material to draw from.

Erick_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Erick_Williams

@colanicole said:

I hate the fact Thor fans voted for him despite knowing he would get humiliated but are no where to be seen now.

Thor was slapped by Jane Foster in Thor 2, and yet he took quite a beating from the Kurse
Thor's durability is so.. inconsistent(?

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I will be that guy and say **** MoS, and the fans that over hype it. Thor won and rightly so imo. All these crying kids over Thor win, Miles should have beaten Terry, Ultimate Cap should have beaten Deathstroke. Glad to see at least Thor beat Faora.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Eh...I would have given it to Faora.

Yeah, same here.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#48  Edited By Outside_85

@cadencev2: Cept there's no evidence Thor could win this one.

ThreadPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some really cool, well thought out arguments in this post. Props to you guys. I LOVE Faora and wish she would love me but I thought it might be a close match, with Thor possibly, maybe getting the upper hand because of his sheer power. But this, to me, is the epitome of a toss up.

theONEtaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By theONEtaichou

It really got bad when some Thor supporters stated that boxers punch faster than Faora punches/blitzes.... my laptop facepalmed me!

Twas so sad.

good day