• 55 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

It's that time of the week. Time to look at the latest edition of Best Battles in New Comics. Comics often feature big battles with superheroes fighting supervillains. Sometimes we even have superheroes fighting other superheroes. Get ready to cheer and possibly cringe at the brutal punches being thrown.

There will be some spoilers below!

No Caption Provided

LOBO #10

(By Cullen Bunn, Frank Barbiere, Robson Rocha, Matt Banning, Daniel Henriques, Cam Smith, and Blond)

Lobo is on a mission. He's been hired by Sinestro to go after certain parties so you know it can't be good. His first stop is to visit planet Nok to go after the Indigo Tribe. He comes in during a little squirmish between them and does his thing.

No Caption Provided

After stabbing him in the back, he just tears him apart. He has a bag full of severed hands with rings and sets his sights on Indigo-1. She controls the other rings and figures, why not take Lobo as one of their own?

No Caption Provided

Lobo won't stand for that. He won't let the ring control him and convert him into one of them.

No Caption Provided

Chomp!

We won't spoil what happens next in this confrontation and jump forward to Lobo's next target--a couple of Red Lanterns.

Lobo finds Bleez and Rankorr. Lobo is attacking with his ship which just enrages Rankorr even further. He demands Lobo fights face to face. Lobo ejects to face Rankorr but this was really to set him up for his next move.

No Caption Provided

Ouch?

Let's move on to our next pick.

THORS #3

(By Jason Aaron, Chris Sprouse, Goran Sudzuka, Karl Story, Dexter Vines, Marte Gracia, and Israel Silva)

Ultimate Thor is trying to solve the mystery of the serial killer and killer of his partner, Beta-Ray Bill. Eventually his investigation takes him to the Deadlands where the Marvel Zombies reside. He gets hit from behind but it's clearly not a zombie attacking.

No Caption Provided

He's up against another Thor. What's going on?

We've seen some words exchanged between these two but it shouldn't come to this.

No Caption Provided

It's Uru vs Uru as these two thunder gods clash. But when Runey says something to catch Thor off guard...

No Caption Provided

He has just the opening to deliver some massive blows. Keep in mind, you don't want to get knocked out in the Deadlands with all those pesky zombies walking around.

DAREDEVIL #18

(By Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, and Matthew Wilson)

Daredevil is sort of at the mercy of Kingpin. The two people he cares about the most are being held captive. After posing as Ikari, who was sent to kill Daredevil, Matt takes his costume to get close to Kingpin. Finally it's time to make his move.

No Caption Provided

Kingpin is outraged. He starts hitting Matt. He hits him so hard, he starts smashing Ikari's costume off him. Matt rips the rest off so it doesn't get in the way and attacks Kingpin in return.

No Caption Provided

The fight goes on. They're interrupted when the authorities arrive and shoot a smoke bomb through the window. Kingpin figures it's time for him to leave. Matt thinks otherwise.

No Caption Provided

This isn't even the end! Buy the issue to see how Waid and Samnee end their run.

Honorable Mentions:

No Caption Provided

Thanks to @JBelanger_ and Mat Elfring for their suggestions.

What are your top three fights from this latest round of new comics? Support what you love and tell the world below. Also, don't forget to make nominations every week in this thread, especially if you feel we missed a great battle. If you're sad we missed one, speak up next week! You can even make suggestions via Twitter and use the hashtag #CVBattles.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looks like Daredevil has had enough. That piqued my interest.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is this new Lobo so weak? My only problem.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Ugh, I've been avoiding new Lobo like the plague but this week's issue had ties to Sinestro so I checked it out. So they just had him dispatch Munk and Rankor like they were nothing? Really? These were among the most important members of their respective corps and he just tore through them like they were flunkies with quick unmemorable deaths. What the hell DC?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Outside_85

I don't know what irritates me more; well known and rather high-ranking members of various Lantern corps getting killed off in a backwater book or that DC is still trying to make us think Spaklebo is the real Lobo and is now throwing away other characters just to feed this posers image.

Flash1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Runie is the traitor

Mayhem_Tha_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Mayhem_Tha_Kid

this thors stuff is garbage no matter how hard you try to make it look cool ,the idea is just trash and that dare devil art is hideous

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NimaMindTricks

Kingpin vs Daredevil looks great.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

I don't know what irritates me more; well known and rather high-ranking members of various Lantern corps getting killed off in a backwater book or that DC is still trying to make us think Spaklebo is the real Lobo and is now throwing away other characters just to feed this posers image.

They're both pretty much equally insulting.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't like DD having short hair.....but that fight looks awesome

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Munk and rankor! No!

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this thors stuff is garbage no matter how hard you try to make it look cool ,the idea is just trash and that dare devil art is hideous

hmm. I think the Thor stuff looks awesome. A bunch of Thors activating like a police force is a crazy idea.

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 HigorM  Moderator

DC being DC.. so sad..

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mighty_monarch: What do you people want? First you guys complained New Lobo looked too pretty. Now, he's slowly turning more towards old Lobo, and you still complain.

Then, you say new Lobo is too weak, that he's been nerfed, now he's beating up Lanterns (Just like old Lobo) and you still complain!

Jesus! You either want a rough, long haired albino berzerker who can crush Lanterns and trade blows with Kryptonian level characters, or you don't!

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kalorama

@truemarvel said:
@mayhem_tha_kid said:

hmm. I think the Thor stuff looks awesome. A bunch of Thors activating like a police force is a crazy idea.

The Thor Police idea is the kind of thing that sounds like fun conceptually, but doesn't really make much sense in practice. Of all the major characters in the MU, Thor is maybe the least temperamentally suited to be a detective and Doom would know this.

And Chris Samnee's art is fantastic.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That DD fight looks intense.

Flash1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nice Daredevil fight.

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@guardiandevil83: People want to hate the new Lobo no matter what, just to hate him. To me, it looks like DC is slowly turning him back to old Lobo. I'm sure people will complain about that too.

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Dude! That's exactly what I've been saying. He is slowly turning more and more into the Lobo we know and love (At least visually) and that's a start.

We can have the best of both, a super powerful killer with the cool, calculating mind of a strategist.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flash1812: I'll have it up today, had to deal with some unforeseen complications last night.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mighty_monarch: What do you people want? First you guys complained New Lobo looked too pretty. Now, he's slowly turning more towards old Lobo, and you still complain.

@guardiandevil83: People want to hate the new Lobo no matter what, just to hate him. To me, it looks like DC is slowly turning him back to old Lobo. I'm sure people will complain about that too.

We complain because new Lobo is not going to be the old Lobo, it's that simple, just like New 52 Wally West is never going to be Wally West for some of us. And Jane Foster Thor is never going to be Thor to other people.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP Rankorr.

mrBlonde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrBlonde

Dang those Lobo fights were something else

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil83 said:

@the_stegman said:

We complain because new Lobo is not going to be the old Lobo, it's that simple, just like New 52 Wally West is never going to be Wally West for some of us. And Jane Foster Thor is never going to be Thor to other people.

Well none of them are ever going to be the "old version". Kind of the thing that happens when DC has a multiverse event that reboots and retcons things. Nearly every hero and villain is different in some manner, some more so. Though I don't worry about it since it's pointless too and since Convergence, we've seen that all the other worlds exist, so the previous Lobo is out there, doing his thing.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been on the fence with Daredevil. LOVED the show too much and the run seemed a little mild up until now. THAT was a great choice!!

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@outside_85 said:

@guardiandevil83 said:

@the_stegman said:

He is the old Lobo, old Lobo was a parody, and so is this Lobo. If Lobo still looked like a bad 90's character that wouldn't make any sense, that's not what's popular these days. These day it's the Twilight, Loki, bishie anime character who's overly popularized that Lobo is meant to mock.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im liking Ultimate Thor actually in a situation to really show what he can do. I will pick up the Thors trade when I can.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact the new lobo killed rankor makes me like him a lot...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is the old Lobo, old Lobo was a parody, and so is this Lobo. If Lobo still looked like a bad 90's character that wouldn't make any sense, that's not what's popular these days. These day it's the Twilight, Loki, bishie anime character who's overly popularized that Lobo is meant to mock.

And guess what? In this case no one cares. The old Lobo was one people actually liked.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: If people liked Lobo for being Lobo then they'd get the change and appreciate the satire, if not, then they liked him for extremely shallow reasons, that this book easy panders to. I like that version of Lobo too, but as of right now he's just outdated. Plus Cullen Bunn has done such a fantastic job writing this book, that at the end of the day there's really nothing to complain about (unless you're a stereotypical overly anal comic fan).

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Outside_85
@captainmarvel4ever said:

@outside_85: If people liked Lobo for being Lobo then they'd get the change and appreciate the satire, if not, then they liked him for extremely shallow reasons, that this book easy panders to. I like that version of Lobo too, but as of right now he's just outdated.

Plus Cullen Bunn has done such a fantastic job writing this book, that at the end of the day there's really nothing to complain about (unless you're a stereotypical overly anal comic fan).

So you think people liked Lobo only because he was a contemporary parody of trends found in comics and movies of the time and has to stay contemporary? Get this; mocking the bad trends of the 90'ties never gets old, neither did Lobo, there was no readon to change him to mock things most people already agree is shit.

I just read off Brunn's Tumblr that DC specifically didn't want Lobo to be like Deadpool... so in essence, New 52 Lobo is what the old Lobo used to mock.

If Brunn has done such a fabulous job with Lobo, why is it such a bottom scraper when it comes to sales? July is the most recent figures I can see and the 8th issue sold only 12.4k, making it even worse than Prez, and apparently the worst selling book DC is putting out atm.

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Did nobody read Injustice this week? What about Aquaman vs Poseidon for best battles?

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: If people liked Lobo for being Lobo then they'd get the change and appreciate the satire, if not, then they liked him for extremely shallow reasons, that this book easy panders to. I like that version of Lobo too, but as of right now he's just outdated. Plus Cullen Bunn has done such a fantastic job writing this book, that at the end of the day there's really nothing to complain about (unless you're a stereotypical overly anal comic fan).

Maybe people liked him unironically. So the new satire doesn't hit with them.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

future imperfect was great ! canon or not ,that to me is a great way to retire The Maestro .

hal is boring so didn't read GL . kinda sad Lobo is killing off the lanterns . its a great story but i liked the indigo tribe and Rankorr. thors i don't like because the personalities being less thor and more cop show . premise works dialogue , meh.

im gonna miss ikari . but DD vs kingpin was savage and brutal. loved it!!

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did fauxlobo take rankorrs ring?

CalvinRod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great fights this week. Daredevil vs Kingpin the best and most nostalgic.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rankorr's dead? Huzzah

Lobo taking on lanterns? Huzzah

And the DD fight was awesome

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By green_skaar

Squadron Sinister was full of cool fights, Maestro vs Doom was also interesting.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:
@mattydavehalpeo said:

RIP Rankorr.

Did not see that one coming at all.

I've read the first two volumes of Red Lanterns, and had some hope for the character of Rankorr. Like Alfred, Rankorr was one of a few British comic characters who wasn't some kind of gimmick, stereotype or patriotic madman. He had a relatively standard superhero origin, and things seemed to be looking up for him as a well-intentioned Red Lantern. Then I see this article and watch 'new' Lobo, love him or loathe him, obliterate Rankorr. I can't see Rankorr recovering from this, if he comes back, it'll only be so that he can become DC's equivalent to one of the nameless redshirts in the original Star Trek series.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloody lot of fights you picked this week. Glad I didn't get any of those issues.

Nwtrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa:Boring? How? He's a rogue, has a cool gauntlet, there's been a lot of good action, his ally is the badass Trapper, and he himself is HAL FREAKING JORDAN! Actually I'm not one of the guys who will be a loser if you don't like change and just don't like what the same books as me, but I am surprised that one of my favorite books is getting badmouthed. (You have all the right to do so, though)

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squadron Sinister was full of cool fights, Maestro vs Doom was also interesting.

Yep

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow lanterns getting beaten around by crap lobo. Seems they hit a new low......

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nwtrocks: thanks for being cool about it. he is my least favorite lantern , but i know he was a fanbase. the prototype "ring" is kinda cool but im just not a hal jordan fan. i do see him as a "gateway" lantern . once i read the other earth based lanterns and of course the alien lanterns hal to me pales in comparison . but again thanks for being cool and not nerd rage me lol

Nwtrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa: Oh, just not a fan of Hal Jordan. And it says something really bad about the internet that people have to thank me for not nerd-raging, but you're welcome. If you had it in your budget, I would check out Green Lantern #44 because it is a one-shot story, a pit-stop at a random planet diverging from the main storyline, and there's a simple superhero vs. villain fight without any big event build-up or baggage or anything. And there's also freaking TRAPPER!

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, I've been avoiding new Lobo like the plague but this week's issue had ties to Sinestro so I checked it out. So they just had him dispatch Munk and Rankor like they were nothing? Really? These were among the most important members of their respective corps and he just tore through them like they were flunkies with quick unmemorable deaths. What the hell DC?

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nwtrocks: just fanboys lol , but fair enough i'll check it out