Best Battles in New Comics: 6/5/15

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

It's that time of the week. Time to look at the latest edition of Best Battles in New Comics. Comics often feature big battles with superheroes fighting supervillains. Sometimes we even have superheroes fighting other superheroes. Get ready to cheer and possibly cringe at the brutal punches being thrown.

No Caption Provided

It was another tough week to narrow it down to three great battles. We went back and forth on a couple.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #41

Grail vs. the Justice League

Darkseid War hasn't fully started in the series yet but the Justice League had one heckuva fight.

Grail, Darkseid's daughter makes a big entrance, somehow locking into Flash's vibration frequency and uses him as a doorway (gross).

No Caption Provided

Luckily it doesn't look like she ripped him apart or anything. But it must have been a bit traumatic.

Grail then makes her move against Batman. She says it's because he's the "human among others." Seems he would be the best choice to start out with so he doesn't have time to formulate a strategy against you.

No Caption Provided

She had the opportunity to take his head off but instead, she makes him sleep and goes after Cyborg. Shazam tries coming to his bud's aid but...

No Caption Provided

It appeared she was going to "end" him but Wonder Woman arrived.

No Caption Provided

This isn't even the end of the fight. There's still a bit more. You'll want to check it out for yourself.

SUPERIOR IRON MAN #9

Tony Stark vs Iron Man and Pepper Potts

Tony's been a bit of a jerk lately. Pepper managed to activate a protocol Tony created that contained his brain patterns from a previous time. As this other 'Tony' fights Stark in his Iron Man armors, Tony shows he can upgrade with but a thought.

No Caption Provided

Tony reminds all the armors that he made them so...

No Caption Provided

The fight gets pretty brutal. We know pretty much all the different versions of the Iron Man suit can put up a really good fight. They have one mission now, to take down Tony Stark. At the same time, what's to stop him from destroying his own armor?

No Caption Provided

Tony tries moving the fight away from his place so his stuff doesn't get "broken." When a huge suit comes and knocks him onto the Golden Gate Bridge, he decides they should move the fight elsewhere since they have a "whole city to beat ourselves up in."

This is when Tony is surprised by the appearance of a suit he did not build.

No Caption Provided

Tony is angered by this. Is this the distraction they need to take him down? Is this the end of "Superior" Iron Man? Red the book to find out!

MIDNIGHTER #1

Midnighter vs. Misguided Freedom Fighters from Modora

Let's start out by making it clear, Midnighter is not just another version of Batman. He's a pretty different character on his own. As he points out before he clears out the room, he has a "special computer" in his head that lets him see every move a person is going to make. He likes to brag about having fought a battle a million different ways in his head before the action begins.

He also likes to use whatever is around to his advantage.

No Caption Provided

ACO highlights certain objects to bring our attention to his and shows us the internal results of Midnighter's blows.

No Caption Provided

Midnighter is basically a good guy. He'll do the right thing. He just doesn't care about you if you're doing bad things. Don't ask him for mercy. But you can see, he is willing to give his opponent a chance to back down.

No Caption Provided

Is he faster? You might have an idea. We're sure not going to tell you since we're out of time. But you will want to see the full fight. This was not all of it.

We also had Spider-Man vs Venom in RENEW YOUR VOWS #1 suggested by @TylerJavier, Little AvX suggested by @frickhwa, Grail vs Justice League suggested by @Thekidfliessolo, and Nick Lachey vs Joker suggested by @qarahiyo.

(Note: if you get a "session expired" notice, refresh the page).

What are your top three fights from this latest round of new comics? Support what you love and tell the world below. Also, don't forget to make nominations every week in this thread, especially if you feel we missed a great battle. You can even make suggestions via Twitter and use the hashtag #CVBattles.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

The art on JL is gorgeous. How many issues do you think we'll get out of Fabok? I'm betting no more than 15.

I kind of wish the red and black word bubbles would have been reserved for Darkseid. I thought it was a very nice touch to make him more menacing. When I saw that I imagined hellfire and brimstone.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

You know you're a female bad-ass when you are a hybrid of a Amazon and Darkseid.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Diana v Donna was pretty good.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior Iron Man easily took the cake. You should see the full fight. He ends up fighting Hulk-Buster II (the one that fought with WWH).

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@noone301994: Yep can agree on that, I found the ending of the issue a bit depressing though, still a great final issue

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Justice league art is phenomenal

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League looks insanely good.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Superior Iron Man easily took the cake. You should see the full fight. He ends up fighting Hulk-Buster II (the one that fought with WWH).

No way. Midnighter kicks a beef steak through someone's face, that instantly makes it better.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Why does this show in the preview section?

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Shazam done anything remotely impressive in the New 52?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Justice League in a mile.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League. Best comic book action i've seen in a while. Grail is a bad ass.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really surprised DC is keeping Darkseid War contained in JL, first issue already blows away that Convergence mess, with this and SW its going to be a grand summer indeed!

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm digging the MK x-rays in Midnighter.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Grail tapped the JL's a**

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Shazam done anything remotely impressive in the New 52?

No

Avatar image for thekidfliessolo
thekidfliessolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know you are a complete bada** when you can take on the Justice League and make them look like a bunch of 8 year olds. Only thing was Superman wasn't involved in the fight. I thought the art on JL #41 was awesome and can't wait for #42. I think the Darkseid war is going to be epic and better than Convergence. I didn't pick up Superior Iron Man because it has lost my interest in the last few issues, looks like I may need to pick it up on my weekend runs. Comic shop near me is having a 20% off everything sale (except new issues) so I will be headed there Saturday.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

Diana v Donna was pretty good.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Shazam really needs his own comic. DC needs to unleash him now. When he grab grail from behind that image was wicked.

Then grail counter by stabbing him in the back it was from better to best.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlackLegRaph
@g_man said:

@blacklegraph: You didn't think this was impressive? ;)

No Caption Provided

Wow. That's actually pretty cool. I guess being the fun magical guy on the team should count for something.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

The Justice League and Superior Iron Man fights are pretty good

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Midnighter kicks ass¡

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

The art on JL is gorgeous.

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes that Superior Iron Man art is bad. Looks like DeviantArt quality linework.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Midnighter, easy. He kicked a steak through someone's head. And I wouldn't call what happened in Justice League #41 a fight; it was a very one-sided ass whooping.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gracetrack

Justice League 41 was excellent overall. It seems Johns finds new ways to humiliate Batman in every new story arc. Even his turning Batman into a "New God" feels like a tongue-in-cheek way of poking fun at the character. It's actually growing to be quite humorous. Bring on issue 42!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Zeeguy91

@omnicrono: I don't think Batman was any more humiliated than the rest of the League. Hell, he didn't even get the worst of the beating from Grail. That honor would probably go to either Shazam or Flash. I'm loathe to think of something more humiliating than having someone use you as a human tunnel.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously she can take Shazam that quickly? An equal to Superman, and yet Wonder Woman can hold her. Terrible writing for that fight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Tough call between Midnighter and JL.....

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

I don't think Batman was any more humiliated than the rest of the League. Hell, he didn't even get the worst of the beating from Grail. That honor would probably go to either Shazam or Flash. I'm loathe to think of something more humiliating than having someone use you as a human tunnel.

That's true.

izbighulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or has Shazam become the justice leagues clown ? The writers downplay him all the time to the point his only role is the one of Cyborgs buddy.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Saint_Sophie

All those unanswered questions around Grail. Does this mean that she was made through the union of a rogue Amazon and Darkseid? And still, ugh. Wonder Woman's lasso worked on gods and I believe it technically worked on Darkseid, but why did it not work on Grail? Aah. Way to go DC. Looks like I'll be shelling out the extra cash for the next issue.

On a side note though, the Diana vs Donna fight was great and an improvment from the other lackluster action scenes from the current WW comic.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Dr_Cheesesteak

@sog7dc said:

The art on JL is gorgeous. How many issues do you think we'll get out of Fabok? I'm betting no more than 15.

Why do you say that? Think DC will put him on something else to help another title's sales? Or just put a "bigger" name back on JL?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

Why do you say that? Think DC will put him on something else to help another title's sales? Or just put a "bigger" name back on JL?

It's my experience that great artists rarely have extended stays on books. We got 3 of Opena on Avengers, 12 of Lee on Superman, 12 of Lee on Batman, 9 of Lee on Unchained, 7 of Turner on Superman/Batman, 11 of Daniels on S/W etc. it just seems to be the case that you shouldn't expect more than 2 years out of guys like Fabok. I hope that I'm wrong and he stays for 30+ issues, but I don't think there's even a remote chance of that.

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@sog7dc said:
@dr_cheesesteak said:
@sog7dc said:

It's my experience that great artists rarely have extended stays on books. We got 3 of Opena on Avengers, 12 of Lee on Superman, 12 of Lee on Batman, 9 of Lee on Unchained, 7 of Turner on Superman/Batman, 11 of Daniels on S/W etc. it just seems to be the case that you shouldn't expect more than 2 years out of guys like Fabok. I hope that I'm wrong and he stays for 30+ issues, but I don't think there's even a remote chance of that.

Well, the Lee examples are b/c it's Jim Lee...he cant stay on any comic for long. Ditto for Daniels. They just can't keep a steady schedule. The Opena example is just Marvel being Marvel. It's known since the Image exodus in the 90s that they don't like giving too much power to artists, so they rotate them alot.

I think of Reis who was on GL for a few years and he was on Aquaman for almost 2 years. I think Pichelli was on Ultimate Spidey for a few years, too? Most "great" artists usually just can't keep a monthly schedule. There are exceptions who are always on time - Reis, Immonen, Mahnke, Pichelli, etc. It appears Fabok isn't a tardy artist, so if he leaves JL, it should be b/c they're putting him on another book to increase sales, since Fabok should be pretty "big" by now.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously she can take Shazam that quickly? An equal to Superman, and yet Wonder Woman can hold her. Terrible writing for that fight.

How is that terrible writing? I think you're stuck in the past because this Shazam is far from being Supermans equal, and this Wonder Woman has more feats than him also.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:
@lordrequiem said:

How is that terrible writing? I think you're stuck in the past because this Shazam is far from being Supermans equal, and this Wonder Woman has more feats than him also.

Yup

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Midnighter's quote in that last scan

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkseid War is already better than Convergence was IMO, the art is also amazing; Dc might actually match Secret Wars for where they failed with Convergence...

ivan_jimenez86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman needs to fight Grail [Darkseid's daughter with an Amazonian woman; probably Diana's mother] in a hardcore fight to the death or at least a KO with Diana winning after a bloody, tired, and almost dying fight.

I want Grail to have this powerset: Superman abilities, Darkseid abilities, Wonder Woman abilities, Batman abilities, and Flash abilities----------add these too-------------dimensional teleportation, time manipulation, energy manipulation & absorption--beyond Silver Surfer's level, telepathy & telekinesis--on par with Shaman Nate Grey's level, advanced combat--Batman & Wonder Woman's combined levels, lightspeed flight, magical immunity, and telepathic immunitiy.

Sidebar, I request these upcoming fatal fights:

1. Wonder Woman & Maxima--Maxima winning after KO Diana with telekinetic punches & kicks combinations ,

2. Wonder Woman & Big Barda--Wonder Woman winning after blocking the mega boom & then speedblitz Big Bards through the sun and into War World, where she then took the mega boom & blast her for a KO,

3. Wonder Woman & Grail--see above,

4. Wonder Woman & Dark Raven--Wonder Woman is immune to telepathic & empathic attacks & is protected from magic thanks to the Gods and her lasso. Diana is teleported into limbo & is attacked by demonic creatures & Raven's siblings, but she defeats them all after cutting their heads off--later grew back because of their high level magic--and finishes off Dark Raven with a stab through her heart--is later revived thanks to her soul.,

5. Wonder Woman & Starfire--Starfire absorps all energies suck as kinetic, but is stopped after being lassosed & KO after being body slamed,

6. Wonder Woman & Captain Atom--Captain Atom wins after creating unlimited duplicates of himself that continues to beat Diana. He is immune to all magics, and he will just absorp her kinetic attacks until he KO her with a powerful quantum bitchsmacked from Oa,

7. Wonder Woman & Dr.Fate--Wonder Woman kicks his behind as her lasso will protect her from any of his magical attacks. Her speed is neutralize because of the spell he casted on her, but the Gods borke the enchantment & she catches him in her lasso where magic is powerless against and his is slammed hard into the ocean, where Aquaman saves him & engages Diana in a fist fight--to which Diana wins after spearing him with his own trident., and

8. Wonder Woman & Martian Manhunter all fighting and then joining forces together--after she cuts him hundreds of times & then KO him throwing him into a volcano's core & then the sun so he won't regenerate quickly.