• 75 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Hey there, welcome to the latest edition of Best Battles in New Comics! We all love a good story that can give these fictional characters more depth or offer a compelling plot, but when the medium is packed with so many skilled fighters and surreal powers, you can bet there's almost always going to be some huge action scenes to enjoy. This week, there were more than a few good ones, and we're going to highlight three of our favorite ones. If your top choice isn't below, go ahead and give it some love in the comments.

No Caption Provided

DEATHSTROKE #5

The first highlight comes from Tony S. Daniel, Sandu Florea, and Tomeu Morey's latest issue of DEATHSTROKE. This series has been loaded with brutal action, but the most recent issue is without question the most memorable one yet. Why, you ask? Because it's time for Batman vs. Deathstroke!

No Caption Provided

When it comes to these two badasses squaring off, it's usually an uphill struggle for the Dark Knight. Slade is physically superior, a brilliant tactician, and quite skilled, after all. However, this fight is far more balanced and it's because the plot is critical for Slade in this one. It seem like it's unclear where his power level is at the moment and having two eyes is throwing him off his game. (If you want to know why Slade has his second eye, read the story!)

No Caption Provided

Love or hate the way the fight is choreographed, you can't help but appreciate just how good it all looks. The hits are visceral and you can really appreciate the speed and impact behind each of them. There's a whole lot for your eyes to appreciate in this one and watching these two go at it is a total blast.

No Caption Provided

Remember, we're only showing you a small sample of the fight. All in all, it's over 10 pages long and filled with plenty of awesome looks at these two punching each other in the head really, really hard.

AMAZING X-MEN #17

Our second highlight is from Christopher Yost, Jorge Fornes, and Rachelle Rosenberg's latest chapter of AMAZING X-MEN. In it, several people are racing to get to Cyttorak's gem. The elder demon wants to create a new Juggernaut, and now all kinds of chaos has broken loose as these characters try to be the first one to get to the gem. As Cain Marko battles several X-Men, Storm has her hands full elsewhere.

No Caption Provided

In the previous issue, Firestar slugged Crossbones in the face. Naturally, he's not exactly cool with it. They engage in a savage kill-or-be-killed struggle and it's unclear who would win. Crossbones has a knife moving closer and closer to her, and she doesn't want to be forced to unleash her full abilities. However, the fight is cut short when some X-Men step in. Crossbones is a dangerous dude, but against Colossus? Yeah, good luck with that one, Brock Rumlow.

No Caption Provided

Cain's the first to reach the gem, but before he can put his hands on it, Colossus is there to knock him away. A fight between these two always consisted of a bunch of heavy punches and this encounter is no exception. Man, remember UNCANNY X-MEN #183? Good times. A slugfest between these two is always good fun.

No Caption Provided

Yes, by the final page of the issue, there is a new Juggernaut. Did one of the previous hosts regain the immense power or did all of that destructive force go to someone new? Sadly, it's not Squirrel Girl. That said, it is most definitely a reveal that'll pique your interest.

DEADPOOL #42

Our final highlight comes from Gerry Duggan, Brian Posehn, Salva Espin, and Val Staples' new issue of DEADPOOL. The merc with a mouth took a mission in the middle east because he thought it would help clear his head, but all it has done is further complicate his life. He refused to destroy a village full of innocent people and that has placed him in Omega Red's sights. And yes, this is definitely the version from Rick Remender's run, not Arkady.

No Caption Provided

Who needs swords and guns when you have such a killer headbutt, right? Unfortunately for Wade, he made the mistake of showing the villain mercy. Instead of following through when the foe is stunned and on the floor, Wade tries to give the bad guy a way out. Big mistake, Wade. Biiiig mistake. Never give a villain like Omega Red an opening because they'll most definitely take advantage of it.

No Caption Provided

Luckily for Wade, he isn't alone in this fight. But which ally could hope to even the odds against Omega Red and his deadly coils? Wolverine? No, he's dead (for now). Bob, Agent of HYDRA? Definitely not. Paste-Pot Pete, a.k.a. Trapster? Hell yes!

No Caption Provided

Not the most flattering way for Omega Red to lose, is it? Don't worry, the villain may be temporarily incapacitated, but he's not out of the picture just yet. He and Wade will get another opportunity to fight, but how does Wade hope to survive against a guy with such lethal coils? Trapster may not always be there to watch Wade's back. With only three issues left in the series, you won't want to miss out on this story.

No Caption Provided

What are your top three fights from this latest round of new comics? Support what you love and tell the world below. Also, don't forget to make nominations every week in the official thread or tell us via Twitter. Check back next Friday for a new edition of this segment. Have a good weekend!

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Gregg, you missed out a great opportunity to caption the last panel of Deathstroke's fight with a "Shoryuken!" haha.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I didn't enjoy the Deathstroke vs Batman fight. What's the point of the fight if you're gonna nerf one of the characters?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

NEW JUGGERNAUT FTW!!!!

The Living Monolith!!!!

No Caption Provided

Jbourne_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i miss zenpool

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@darthaznable: it should always be a good awesome fight IMHO, but nerfing DS to the extremes was ridiculous.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite part of all this was Rockslide wanting to play Marko (Caine) Polo

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought you forgot to do this this week.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@xwraith: I tweeted this morning it'd be up later. There's no way Gregg would forget. But sometimes other things happen.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: it should always be a good awesome fight IMHO, but nerfing DS to the extremes was ridiculous.

Well I mean DS isn't as skilled as Batman but him being slower, weaker, etc shouldn't get him stomped. He definitely could have been written better despite his current power level. I'm such a fan of both characters I can't really be anything but indifferent.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SodamYat

Maybe people dont read comics.

Maybe thats why theyre acting like Deathstroke was specifically nerfed for this fight.

When in actuality this fight is nothing more than a small side-note and the Deathstroke "nerfing" has everything to do with the main story line for this entire arc so far.

Maybe people should read more comics instead of just one comic soley for the reason of "OMG Batman VS Deathstroke."

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got disappointed when I saw Harley. I liked her at first but now she like an overuse joke, just keep her with SS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slade wasn't all that nerfed in the fight

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

Got disappointed when I saw Harley. I liked her at first but now she like an overuse joke, just keep her with SS.

i agree

PotatoBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: read comics? What would lead to the conclusion that people read comics on this site?

/sarcasm

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just wanted to point out, don't you mean "2/27/15"? Not "2/27/14"?

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

These are some amazing fights this week! The Deathstroke vs Batman fight is definitely a favorite.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paste Pot Pete! Gotta love that guy.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Batman vs Deathstroke was very disappointing for me.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trapster FTW! That was awesome!

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halfway through the fight between Batman and Deathstroke, I got a little disappointed. Maybe because I was expecting Slade to run though Batman like he's done so many times. However, Slade says having two eyes is throwing him off, but then later says that he's slower and weaker than he once was. So, I guess it's clear that his physical abilities have been nerfed after reacquiring his youth early on in the series. Or, at least that's how I see it. Either way, Deathstroke wasn't operating at normal levels.

It's cool that the fought evenly, but I don't know if this is an impressive showing for either side.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snake Eyes: Agent of Cobra #2 was ridiculous in action and in colouring. Silence is golden, or rather, explosive. (edited to add that by ridiculous, I mean bloody awesome)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The limit is for three scans on here, but how this ends on the following page is freaking gorgeous. I didn't expect to enjoy this book so much, but I do.

I'll try to get my suggestions in earlier next week.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke wasn't nerfed just to fight Batman, the whole current story arc is about his body being youthenized and having two eyes. It just so happens that he fought Batman in this issue when it was going on, but since this is Deathstroke's own book and he's the protagonist, it makes sense he'd be facing uphill struggles, not the guy's he's fighting.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't enjoy the Deathstroke vs Batman fight. What's the point of the fight if you're gonna nerf one of the characters?

Its too trivial to be considered a nerf..

How much can having two eyes instead of one throw one off?

The power levels argument isn't proven yet. A reason is yet to be given by the writer in the future to account for why Slade stated he was weaker.

As of right now, there is no nerf. It's just Slade's internal monologue which shouldn't be taken as fact unless evidence is provided.

Long story short, there is no nerf. Unless of course, the writer confirms there was in the future.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

Its too trivial to be considered a nerf..

How much can having two eyes instead of one throw one off?

The power levels argument isn't proven yet. A reason is yet to be given by the writer in the future to account for why Slade stated he was weaker.

As of right now, there is no nerf. It's just Slade's internal monologue which shouldn't be taken as fact unless evidence is provided.

Long story short, there is no nerf. Unless of course, the writer confirms there was in the future.

Slade spent decades adapting to fight with only one eye. Suddenly having two again would have completely thrown off his depth perception, that is a MAJOR hinderance, tantamount to a normal person suddenly fighting with one eye. Slade's monologue is more than enough evidence to say him being weakened is a fact, writers don't need to spoon feed readers everything that happens in a plot.

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slade spent decades adapting to fight with only one eye. Suddenly having two again would have completely thrown off his depth perception, that is a MAJOR hinderance, tantamount to a normal person suddenly fighting with one eye. Slade's monologue is more than enough evidence to say him being weakened is a fact, writers don't need to spoon feed readers everything that happens in a plot.

Slade still had his mask which covered one half of his face. That would more or less stimulate him fighting with one eye. I stand by my claim that the eye issue was a minor hindrance. Besides, if Slade was completely off his game, Batman would have stomped him. The fight was even enough to prove Slade was functioning properly. And believe it or not having one eye is only beneficial for shooting guns. In a fist fight 2 eyes would give you the best sense of depth.

Monologue are not facts. All kind of things are stated in monologues. Statements are not always facts. Slade said he was weaker but no reason was given. Slade might as well be deceiving himself (he has done that before) or just trying to figure out why he was losing. In order to confirm Slade was nerved, the writer has to give a reason. As of now the only justified hindrance is him failing to think clearly and be slightly hindered by his eye.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"There is no nerf"

WRONG.

No Caption Provided

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

Slade still had his mask which covered one half of his face. That would more or less stimulate him fighting with one eye. I stand by my claim that the eye issue was a minor hindrance. Besides, if Slade was completely off his game, Batman would have stomped him. The fight was even enough to prove Slade was functioning properly. And believe it or not having one eye is only beneficial for shooting guns. In a fist fight 2 eyes would give you the best sense of depth.

Monologue are not facts. All kind of things are stated in monologues. Statements are not always facts. Slade said he was weaker but no reason was given. Slade might as well be deceiving himself (he has done that before) or just trying to figure out why he was losing. In order to confirm Slade was nerved, the writer has to give a reason. As of now the only justified hindrance is him failing to think clearly and be slightly hindered by his eye.

In the story Slade mentions that half his mask was black, but he was still able to see out of it. Obviously using one eye isn't better for combat than two, but for decades Slade didn't have a choice because he was unlucky enough to lose his eye. Then over time he gradually adapted and modified himself until he was capable of fully functioning despite the decreased depth perception. For years, one eye was normal sight for him, but now to suddenly have two again would be just as jarring as when he originally lost it in the first place. If he had time to train and accustom himself he would get used to the depth perception and perhaps even be better for it, but he hasn't had the time to do that yet. It threw him off, he's still Deathstroke so he wasn't helpless, but it was enough to allow Batman to have the upperhand on him for most of the fight.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: ive talked to this guy before. From what I gathered, He hasnt read this arc.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Jestersmiles

@serrure: @justice_teen:

That "overused" joke is DC second best selling right now and If I remember correctly she was going to leave SS.

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

"There is no nerf"

WRONG.

No Caption Provided

Don't count your chickens before they hatch :)

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

These are some amazing fights this week! The Deathstroke vs Batman fight is definitely a favorite.

This.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jestersmiles: So? Doesn't change the fact that she is like an overused joke.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm actually interested in all these battles, normally it's just one that peaks my interest.

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Deadpool fought Omega Red?

Gregg's column was probably delayed due to a Katzboner.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 owie  Moderator

Oh man, X-men 183...such a classic.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

"There is no nerf"

WRONG.

No Caption Provided

Too late. The writer confirms it. He says we will know more about why Deathstroke is slower and weaker.

If Deathstroke wasnt slower and weaker due to the transformation(which we have yet to know how it happened) he would have just said he wasnt. but instead he agrees and says will find out why he's stronger and weaker :) Cheers

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:
@digitalshooter9 said:
@sodamyat said:

"There is no nerf"

WRONG.

No Caption Provided

Too late. The writer confirms it. He says we will know more about why Deathstroke is slower and weaker.

If Deathstroke wasnt slower and weaker due to the transformation(which we have yet to know how it happened) he would have just said he wasnt. but instead he agrees and says will find out why he's stronger and weaker :) Cheers

Lets get back to this when the writer actually gives the reason in the arc.

The extent to which he is weaker is also important. Maybe Daniels is just gonna make this whole "weaker" argument to be a trivial detail. We don't know what we have in mind yet. Thats why used the common saying.

If Slade was actually nerved by a considerable amount, Batman would have stomped him. Slade put up a good fight and was even going to get a majority thanks to fighting dirty and batman holding back.

Don't forget, Slade did say he was weaker, but he also mentioned how being even a millisecond off makes a difference.

Think about the word "millisecond" here. Thats how much Slade would be nerf by (if he actually is) at max.

Anyways we'll see it when the next issue comes out.

Until that time :)

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:
@digitalshooter9 said:
@sodamyat said:

"There is no nerf"

WRONG.

No Caption Provided

Lets get back to this when the writer actually gives the reason in the arc.

The extent to which he is weaker is also important. Maybe Daniels is just gonna make this whole "weaker" argument to be a trivial detail. We don't know what we have in mind yet. Thats why used the common saying.

If Slade was actually nerved by a considerable amount, Batman would have stomped him. Slade put up a good fight and was even going to get a majority thanks to fighting dirty and batman holding back.

Don't forget, Slade did say he was weaker, but he also mentioned how being even a millisecond off makes a difference.

Think about the word "millisecond" here. Thats how much Slade would be nerf by (if he actually is) at max.

Anyways we'll see it when the next issue comes out.

Until that time :)

Well since the nerf is a huge part of the story line and this fight is not, then its "probably" a good reason.

Whatever the reason, its already been confirmed that Deathstroke is nerfed and that was my point and Im pretty happy having proved my point.

:) Cheers

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

damage32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omega red vs. Deadpool looks like a unique fight

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jashro44

I haven't clicked on best battles in a while but what happened to the captions?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DarthAznable

@entropy_aegis said:

@darthaznable said:

@allstarsuperman: Because last time Batman got stomped lol.

Actually last time it was Slade who got one shotted.

You mean when he smacked him with the rifle? Wasn't he depowered then too? lol

If you talking about another instance then I most likely haven't read it.

@digitalshooter9

Imagine losing your hand and for you having to get used to not having one. One day your hand just appears. You think you'd be able to use it as well even though you've gone years with out it?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jashro44

@entropy_aegis said:

@darthaznable said:

@allstarsuperman: Because last time Batman got stomped lol.

Actually last time it was Slade who got one shotted.

You mean when he smacked him with the rifle? Wasn't he depowered then too? lol

If you talking about another instance then I most likely haven't read it.

He wasn't depowered when they fought under Dixon. He was amnesic. He's referring to superman/batman annual when Batman kicked Slade while Slade wasn't looking:

No Caption Provided

I don't count it as a fight personally.