Battle of the Week: Wonder Woman vs. Invincible

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Our latest Character of the Month, Wonder Woman, has defeated her first challenger, Beta Ray Bill. Will she claim victory yet again or will she be the one seeing stars this time? Well, you'll be the judge of that because your vote will help determine the outcome! This week, we're placing Wonder Woman against Skybound's powerful character, Invincible.

Will Diana's lasso and impressive hand-to-hand capabilities give her the advantage or will Mark Grayson's raw power be too much for her to overcome? You have plenty of time to give this match a good amount of thought (the poll closes Friday morning), so before you vote, please be sure to read the rules and really think this one through. Will you give Wonder Woman a second victory or do you think she'll eventually fall in this fight?

No Caption Provided

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • This is pre-New 52 Wonder Woman.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. They're in a 5x5 block area which is unpopulated, but everything around that section is full of civilians and they're both aware of this. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
No Caption Provided

Made up your mind yet? Cool, here's the poll! If you have any trouble, try refreshing the page or voting via a different browser.

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• The results of the poll.
  • Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Want to suggest a future Battle of the Week for Wonder Woman? Tell us below or share it via twitter.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

When we will get Wonder Woman vs Mera or Wonder Woman vs Big Barda

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Gahhh can't vote this week. Don't know anything about her opponent and a week isn't enough to get to know him well enough.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

They seem to like to mix it up with fights involving characters that normally wouldn't be in a crossover. IIRC, She's fought Barda in the past, anyway.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Ends in--Wonder Woman winning.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Impervious

Diana takes this. Sure, Mark is powerful in his own right and has insane pain tolerance but then He lacks the skill and experience that Wonder Woman has

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Mrnoital

uhh, I know of Invincible, but know nothing about him (his symbol is neat though)

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not some nerfed analog, so the Omni Blitz means nothing.

And it comes down to experience and gear, and WW has the gear.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way I see it: Invincible has gotten his rear-end handed to him by stronger Viltrumites. As most people can agree, Viltrumites are loosely based on Kryptonians. We've seen Wonder Woman go toe-to-toe with (and even BEAT) Superman several times in Pre-New 52; never has Superman utterly obliterated her in combat. Thus, I'd wager that Wonder Woman will take out Invincible, probably not easily, but at the very least will have the upper hand for the majority of fights. I'd give it to her 8/10.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diana

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think wonder woman simply because of skill. A skilled Vultrimite woman made mark her bitch, wonder woman would do the same. Mark seems to be a brawler...I don't recall him being trained other than training himself.

Karazyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bad choice to pick pre nu52 wonder woman........ if it was nu52 it would be more of a fight, but pre nu52 wonder woman went fairly even with many other powerhouses pre 52 reboot........ and they've all been more powerful than invincible is now and probably ever will be........... invincible's durability is simply too low to compete with them.......... imagine invincible flying at a high speed and colliding with a planet...... he would die...... even more powerful viltrumites would die....... they needed a plot device to destroy a planet and even when they were far, far away from the planets explosion the planet took all of them out, even the most powerful on the battlefield (if i remember correctly)......... that shows how the durability in that universe is.........
also you've given them standard gear, which for invincible means pretty much nothing and wonder woman has often been seen with a sword........ even in one of the op pictures and we all know how soft invincible's flesh is....... every time he is in a fight...... he gets bloodied up and loses his organs.......

pre nu52 wonder woman is stronger, faster, more durable and more skilled........ and she has the gear advantage over invincible........ this is a terrible match up....... invincible is way out of his league in this one......

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dotwilson

Ends in Invincible winning and then gets indefinitely suspended from the NFL...

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Wonder Woman very handily

MinkoAk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oblivious me has just realized that Mark's costume makes the same looking "i" as the Image logo...

As far as the fight... Invincible is not experienced enough and I guess he would have lost before he could get it together to beat Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for man_of_miracles
Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Man_of_Miracles

Honestly I don't believe that Mark has anything strength wise on Pre-52 Diana as she has proven time and time again to be able to hold her own with heavy hitters such as Superman who have strength and durability feats that far surpass those demonstrated by Mark.

In addition to Pre-52 WW being on par or possibly greater than Mark strength she is also on par or greater than him in combat speed, far outstrips him in skill and has superior standard equipment with her lasso and bracelets.

In the end I believe WW easily matches up to Invincible in stats and outstrips him in other departments giving her a solid majority of wins.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 k4tzm4n  Moderator
@meatwadf said:

@boynerdgeek said:

They seem to like to mix it up with fights involving characters that normally wouldn't be in a crossover. IIRC, She's fought Barda in the past, anyway.

Correctamundo, meatwadf. If WW vs BB or Mera doesn't exist in the Battles Forum, you're more than welcome to make it over there, boynerdgeek.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who?

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By comic_book_fan

i would say mark is a hair stronger and faster but wonder woman is more skilled and has the weapons to gain victory she also has a big heart though she might hold back against the kid and reason with him this one is close.

to be honest i already voted invincible or i would say wonder woman.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 owie  Moderator

It's cool to see tparks' suggestion make it into the BOTW. I don't really know anything about Invincible but it will be interesting to read the debate and do some research over the course of the week before voting.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@radx_konkin75: Invincible. Basically considered as Image's version of Superman

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impervious: Supreme is Image's version of Superman I believe

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm a big fan of Mark but I gotta give this to pre new 52 wondy. She's got the strength and speed to go head to head with superman and has got the combat skills to outclass Mark. That being said Mark won't go down easy. It'll be a tough fight but Diana takes the majority.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for tearofthedragon
TearoftheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Invincible have any feats where he defeats vastly experienced warriors? I don't really know the character well but from what I have seen this would be WW's big advantage. Anyone show me otherwise before I vote?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't see this being all that close TBH.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Unless I am missing something, Diana stomps.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Impervious

@k4tzm4n: I think you should have added Kid Omni Man alongside Invincible. Would at least make it a closer. Mark's just not on Diana's level yet. Like that time you had Cyclops vs Nightwing/Robin

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Two things:

1) Went with pre-52 WW because New 52 Wonder Woman doesn't have that many feats.

2) Even if you think the outcome is obvious, the whole point of this segment is to enjoy thinking about how it plays out, share knowledge with others, and have fun talking about it. But if you find more pleasure in just limiting your involvement to something like, "___ stomps," then you're free to do that, slacker.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

2) Even if you think the outcome is obvious, the point is to have enjoy thinking about how it plays out, share knowledge with others, and have fun talking about it.

Fair enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Invincible have any feats where he defeats vastly experienced warriors? I don't really know the character well but from what I have seen this would be WW's big advantage. Anyone show me otherwise before I vote?

He beat his superior in Conquest once.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all know what happens between Mark and a beautiful super powered women

He dies, new 52 would be a better match

Avatar image for tearofthedragon
TearoftheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TrueMarvel

@k4tzm4n

I think from now on for competitiveness sake, All of WWs combatants need to have extensive combat skills. Pre-New 52 WW is so skilled in combat, her versus just about anybody who lacks any such skill is kind of predictable. Doesn't matter how strong or fast or invulnerable you are if you can't land a killer blow on a person who clearly outmatches you.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invincible survived a planet exploding at point blank range without a scratch. Does WW have a similar feat?

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know enough to cast a vote.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tearofthedragon: I am kind of fuzzy on the details but Conquest had taken over a couple of planets before fighting Mark. So he was pretty experienced IIRC.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman is too much. What really decides this for me is her fighting knowledge. It's too much for Invincible to handle, that coupled with her weapons a real threat. That Tiara could easily down him like it did Superman. Diana is too strong.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invincible in a battle of the week? So damn cool. But I think It would have been more fair against new 52 Wonder woman.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@truemarvel said:

@k4tzm4n

I think from now on for competitiveness sake, All of WWs combatants need to have extensive combat skills. Pre-New 52 WW is so skilled in combat, her versus just about anybody who lacks any such skill is kind of predictable. Doesn't matter how strong or fast or invulnerable you are if you can't land a killer blow on a person who clearly outmatches you.

The other matches being considered (there's 1 or 2 left), involve Diana taking on a team and/or taking on a powerful, popular character. I'm obviously a little out of my comfort zone when it comes to powerhouse battles -- they're far more difficult to balance, especially if you want to avoid the cliche -- so before making any of these, I always consult with others (in this case, it was an Invincible expert) on whether they think it's fun to discuss and has the potential to be entertaining.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I have read the first trade of Invincible with the intention of continuing it at some point but as it stands my knowledge base is not large enough to properly judge. I assume the character has grown in skill and experience. Based on the first trade Wonder Woman would stomp him but as I don't know what has developed of the character since, I can't say one way or the other. Sorry @k4tzm4n! I'll be spending way too much time playing Dragon Age Inquisition to be able to properly study up on character feats and other related information this week.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cap10nate

Mark took out Conquest which was one of the Viltrumite top fighters. He had some help from Eve to turn the tide after she revived herself and hit Conquest with a blast. Below is how Mark finished off conquest. If you have not read this fight, you really should. It is basically 4 issues of all out brawl that culminates in one of the most brutal splash pages.

No Caption Provided

They also fought again after Conquest escaped his captivity and Mark proceeded to strangle him even while being disemboweled during the Viltrumite War.

No Caption Provided

As for Mark being raped by female Viltrumite. He was not in fighting spirits whenever that happened. He had just been betrayed by Robot and forced into another dimension for several months. When he got out, he was told by the love of his life that was carrying his child that she was through with him. He was completely dejected, and if you have read Invincible, you know that he really needs to be angry to fight his best. The female Viltrumite is no slouch either as she survived the Viltrumite War.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will try to make a case for Invicible later on this week. (I will probably wait to read issue 115 while it won´t focus on Invincible It may give better feats to his opponents).

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By Jenkale

dont think i've ever seen invincible in one of these battles. and dont know how magic would (or if it does) effect him cause she could take him down with the lasso. plus she has the advantage of her fighting skills and if we are using the new 52 wonder woman: goddess of war. going with wonder woman for the win, just not enough info on invincible to make an argument for him

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@pokeysteve: wikipedia is your friend. and you are on comicvine, you can find out a lot about invincible in time to vote

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

remember. A mindless voter is a sucky voter. Dont forget to do your research before you vote.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Anybody who doesn't know or hasn't read Invincible should be ashamed for themselves