Battle of the Week: Superman vs Sinestro

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Battle of the Week: Superman vs Sinestro (136 votes)

Superman 49%
Sinestro 43%
Too Close To Call 7%

Battle of the Week: Superman vs Sinestro

Alright, we who discuss Battle of the Weeks finally decided it was time Superman got his debut. So who did we decide on? GOKU? Wait, whats that mods? We cannot do that!? Dammit. This is hard then. Superman deserves a Battle of the Week, he never had one yet. Its hard to find a decent match up for him though. Most Marvel characters are either too hax, or too slow. DC characters either stomp or get stomp. Manga characters be cool, but some people on this site despise Manga, not to mention the whole DBZ ban thing. What ever shall we do? Well there is much discussion with the veteran debaters and HOFs, and here is the match we decided on. Who better to fight he Man of Steel in his first battle, than a rapidly popular new comer who been turning heads in the comic world with his absurd Superman like abilities. No, not Invincible. Mark would stomp haha. This is the first ever debut of the Plutonian! Nah kidding, we tried that, twice and it seems still way to hard to find a decent match for Superman. So we are resorting to a DC character, a being who regularly gives Green lantern of any kind utter hell. Sinestro himself. This is the final and last time to try a first ever Superman match, so hopefully third time is the charm.

No Caption Provided

This match will last to Saturday, and when the dust settle, we will see who is left standing. Debate on Comicvine.

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is New 52/Post Crisis Superman vs New 52/Post Crisis Sinestro, no Parralax.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

• 
Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that current Superman is powered by the spiritual energy that powered up the Eradicator. Just wanted to point that out.

And also. He threw Doosmday to the other side of the planet.

No Caption Provided

Clarck beats Sinestro on every regard. A back hand from him is more than enough to send Sinestro across the country and knock him out at the same time.

No Caption Provided

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By emperorthanos-  Moderator

@dygoboy: This is not current forms. Because if it was then Sinestro is currently the host of Parralax and would stomp. And that superman slapping sinestro scan is non canon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e8427c5d9ba
deactivated-57e8427c5d9ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dygoboy: Your third scan is from injustice.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@emperorthanos said:
@crushyourenemies said:
@rabumalal said:

@crushyourenemies: When did this daily schooling happen? Just curious, I'm not a DC expert, especially not on the lanterns.

Hal always beats him. Clark often treats constructs like toilet paper.

This was when both their rings where out of charge so they were fighting pure h2h like normal people and Hal was fighting him alongside Kyle rayner. Hal didn't beat him on his own he needed help.

true, the constructs can hurt Superman but when it comes to a Superman going full tilt, he simply barrages without difficulty.

This was New 52 Hal who isn't on Sinestro level. But I agree that Superman can break sinestro constucts

even against John's construct which can rival Hal's.

I don't think John's constructs are has stong as sinestro's

Sinestro on the other hand, simply cannot keep up with someone in Superman's tier.

Mongul flat out stomps him.

Mongul had a power ring in their fight so he was amped, whilst he never possessed a ring on the several times he was beaten by Superman

John's constructs have been more impressive than Hal's on multiple occasions. There is nothing that tells us that Sinestro's shields will stand up to one of his blows.

Mongul had a power ring which did not increase his speed. That's the point I'm making. Mongul is very well capable of landing blows on Sinestro on a whim. Superman's speed is well beyond that. There is absolutely zero chance that Sinestro can even hope of maneuvering him long enough to form a cohesive strategy against him.

People throw around the word versatility like it actually gives a character an auto win.

Sidious is FAR more versatile than a character like Ganthet. Doesn't mean he stands a chance since his power in some areas completely trump anything he could do.

Clark would have no problem blitzing a character like Sinestro.

Like when exactly. and this is sinestro in the battle anyway. Hal is not superior to Sinestro.

There is no proof that it didn't lantern rings boost everything as seen with how powerful it makes regular humans. Saying an amped Mongul beat him so Superman can doesn't really work.

I never said versatility would just give sinestro the win.

And no, Clark can't blitz Sinestro who is similar in speed.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@heirtothekingdom:

He has never done things like attacking someone's eyes like I showed above, and though he may be tactically great like John or even more experienced, he doesn't fight the same. All the Lanterns have strength's that set them apart in battle. That just happens to be John's. We can't take what John has done and apply it to Sinestro just because he's more powerful. That's like saying Superman will do something Supergirl will do because he's more powerful, when really you have to take in how they fight.

But it's not like attacking someones eye's would be out of character for Sinestro. He does exploit weaknesses to win. It may not be his first move I agree. But would he do it as the fight progresses, I would think so since he would realize that a conventional form of attack would not work against Supermn

.New 52 Mongul was also defeated by Wonder Woman, not knocked out, but incapacitated in her ropes alongside Non. He's powerful, but not as much as you may think. I don't see anything that puts him much above his Pre-52 incarnation.

Yeah but few if any can break through Diana's lasso. But yes he probably isn't stronger than pre 52 mongul. But the fact that Sinestro should prove that he is above Mongul when Mongul is not in possession of a ring.

I can't remember when it was shown, but regardless if Mongul could do it, Superman can too as he's superior to him in every way. I think it's more necessary to show him using it outside of this one occurrence so it can be proven it's what could happen in this battle. I don't think him using it once is enough.

But Mongul could only do it due to energy draining his constructs. Superman doesn't have that kind tech. But I will look for more instances of him doing this and get back to you. Though I don't think Superman can really deal with constructs inside of him.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By emperorthanos-  Moderator
tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Superman.

Unless SInestro can put him down hard an fast he is going down.

His ring will lose power the longer the battle continues.Superman can break through his constructs. Plus what is Sinestro going to do stop him from trying to take it off his finger.

Avatar image for crushyourenemies
CRUSHYOURENEMIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crushyourenemies said:
@emperorthanos said:
@crushyourenemies said:
@rabumalal said:

@crushyourenemies: When did this daily schooling happen? Just curious, I'm not a DC expert, especially not on the lanterns.

Hal always beats him. Clark often treats constructs like toilet paper.

This was when both their rings where out of charge so they were fighting pure h2h like normal people and Hal was fighting him alongside Kyle rayner. Hal didn't beat him on his own he needed help.

true, the constructs can hurt Superman but when it comes to a Superman going full tilt, he simply barrages without difficulty.

This was New 52 Hal who isn't on Sinestro level. But I agree that Superman can break sinestro constucts

even against John's construct which can rival Hal's.

I don't think John's constructs are has stong as sinestro's

Sinestro on the other hand, simply cannot keep up with someone in Superman's tier.

Mongul flat out stomps him.

Mongul had a power ring in their fight so he was amped, whilst he never possessed a ring on the several times he was beaten by Superman

John's constructs have been more impressive than Hal's on multiple occasions. There is nothing that tells us that Sinestro's shields will stand up to one of his blows.

Mongul had a power ring which did not increase his speed. That's the point I'm making. Mongul is very well capable of landing blows on Sinestro on a whim. Superman's speed is well beyond that. There is absolutely zero chance that Sinestro can even hope of maneuvering him long enough to form a cohesive strategy against him.

People throw around the word versatility like it actually gives a character an auto win.

Sidious is FAR more versatile than a character like Ganthet. Doesn't mean he stands a chance since his power in some areas completely trump anything he could do.

Clark would have no problem blitzing a character like Sinestro.

Like when exactly. and this is sinestro in the battle anyway. Hal is not superior to Sinestro.

There is no proof that it didn't lantern rings boost everything as seen with how powerful it makes regular humans. Saying an amped Mongul beat him so Superman can doesn't really work.

I never said versatility would just give sinestro the win.

And no, Clark can't blitz Sinestro who is similar in speed.

SInestro is similar in speed?

How?

No Caption Provided

or

No Caption Provided

or even

No Caption Provided

you still haven't shown anything that can suggest that Sinestro can even perceive him coming at him full tilt.

Superman is simply too powerful for him.

Heck, I'd cav you for it if you were up to it.

You or you @krleavenger

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@crushyourenemies: Check the frist page. I already showed Sinestro's ftl speed and reactions. Superman is not blitzing him.

And no on the cav. I'm in several already.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos:

1) Here's the issue with that, how long do you think Sinestro is going to last in order for him to test these methods on Clark? He certainly isn't going to get the time to go through all his options, especially when Clark will be breaking down his defenses and bringing the fight straight to him. All I was saying is we can't use what lanterns feat to justify the others because simply their are different circumstances like John knowing more about Superman and how much of a threat he is.

2) Sinestro did defeat Mongul I can agree with that as it's even admitted by him in their second encounter, however Mongul isn't Superman. Only thing he has is Clark's physicals and even then he's below him there. The point being made there is that someone who is much slower and physically less imposing than Clark was capable of overpowering Sinestro at certain moments in that fight.

3) You're right, however as I said it's not really a tactic he chooses to lose. Also the speed difference between Superman and Mongul is immense, so it's likely that anything Mongul couldn't avoid or strike Sinestro before doing, Clark could.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't current Sinestro have parralax.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

still sinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamingod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruhaha so superman eventually won

GreatSpiderBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

too close to call

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Sinestro's side having solid arguments.

Superman's side says he wins 'cause he's superman and he will smash the constructs. Oh well, and polls look like popularity contest.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: I wouldn't go that far.

Also, does anyone has that pic of Superman on the OP?

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Costy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman wins.

Avatar image for deactivated-57c949cc003b7
deactivated-57c949cc003b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's close, but I'm leaning towards Superman.

Taquie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro but he would come out whole broken

NewBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sinestro should win and argument for his side is better than Superman's (in this thread).

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sinestro should win after a good fight..But it could go either way depending on how smart Supes fight.

Mr_Existence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro does not have the feats to suggest he could defeat Superman handily. His combat speed and strength is not comparable in the slightest and he would never outlast Clark in a lengthy battle. Sinestro is a threat in terms of prep time and schemes. But physically, he has been beaten by Hal Jordan..who is a tier below Superman in durability and strength. Sorry Sinestro fans, but it's clear he will never convincingly defeat Superman.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#138 owie  Moderator

I don't know Sinestro well enough on my own to really say, but my general impression has always been, and the evidence presented here suggests, that Superman will win. I just think he's on a slightly higher level than the Lanterns. Just consider why there are thousands of the various lanterns, but only a few Kryptonians; thousands of Kryptonians would be overkill for a universal police force/etc.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers