Battle Of The Week Results: Red Hulk VS Apollo

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jashro44

Battle Of The Week Results: Red Hulk VS Apollo!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

For this weeks battle of the week it was requested by @stormshadow_x that we put Red Hulk against Apollo! However as you can see above most people fealt like Rulk's raw strength and durability trumped Apollo's versatility, speed and power! Lets see what your fellow viners had to say!

Arguments Of The Week

First argument from @strangelegacy:

Hmm, I'm going to back Apollo but thats cause my only knowledge of Red Hulk is from a respect thread I just looked up and a CAV I read, so if I got something wrong, correct me.

Strength Wise - I think they are pretty even here, and while I admit Rulk is probably more ferocious then Apollo usually is, he isn't to be underestimated in this regard. I think Rulk probably edges both lifting and striking out barely, but the fact that Captain Atom legitimately thought that Apollo would be the one to kill him (despite him previously fighting Majestic) is something to be highlighted.

Durability - I think Rulk edges this out too, but once again Apollo isn't to be underestimated. He's tanked punches from people like Henry Bendix's clone (who had the entire powers of The Authority & Strormwatch IIRC), and was able to tank multiple punches from a guy that got whoever he had mind controlled's strength added to his own, and he had over 70% of the Earth Population (probably some superhumans in there too) under his control. Those same punches that were sending Apollo around the world with a single punch. Apollo has also tanked the force of 10 Hiroshima's in his ears for quite a while.

Speed - This is where the fight takes a turn, while I don't doubt Rulk is slow, Apollo is just on another level. He was able to blitz Seth in their first encounter who had the reaction time to force Midnighter to open a new door every 100 or so miliseconds just to not be tracked.. Not to mention like previously said before, he had Captain Atom barely able to concentrate with his overwhelming punches.

Flight/Heat Vision: Apollo also has flight, early on in Authority he could travel around the world in 30 seconds IIRC, and later on hes flying almost as fast as lasers (on panel).

Radiation: To my knowledge, Rulk also exerts massive amount of Radiation, and while he could potentially overwhelm Apollo because of it, he can handle it:

http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11129/111290328/5287529-lhiufak.jpg

The same could be said vice versa for Apollo, but considering Rulk's dilemma, he just won't absorb Apollo's HV in character.

Note: While someone might bring up Apollo did get overwhelmed above, it took Captain Atom discharging his energy (who had a pretty insane amount due to having Void) AND The Sun.

Second argument from @giliad_

Red Hulk is undoubtably a solid brick, he's got durability and strength on his side, but he's not durable enough to survive under sustained attacks from Apollo without eventually buckling. Apollo's strength and durability are still enough to put him in Rulk's weight division however speed is on his side and considering Ironman's performance against Rulk speed can undoubtably make the difference. Rulk may not prove capable of competing with Apollo particularly his speed advantage, who much like Tony is a lot faster than Rulk and has ranged options that pack enough punch to keep Rulk on his toes. While Apollo doesn't hit as hard he hits hard enough and without significant restraint, suffice to say that under continuous assault Rulk will fall, and he's more than capable of using his speed to bullrush and continue to press his attack without letting up until Rulk's down for the incapacitated or if it comes to it dead.

Third argument from @owie

HERE'S AN APOLLO RESPECT THREAD

Personally, I am not super familiar with Apollo, only knowing what I've seen in threads and a few issues of the DC comic version. But, I'll throw in somewhat of a devil's advocate argument for him just to counter @warlockmage's persuasive Rulk post. (I forgot about that P5 scene, that was impressive. Also that Thor scene.)

Anyway, Apollo is certainly much faster than Rulk. Rulk (and Hulk) may well have fought Sentry, but I am in no way persuaded by the scenes I've seen them in that Sentry was actually using his speed in those fights, which is not unusual thing for Sentry. Apollo is fast enough to fly halfway around the world in 30 seconds.

He has a tendency to fly through his opponents. Rulk is probably too small for him to do that, and I can't say how durable these opponents are, but clearly they're not just ordinary folks. In addition to people, he has also flown through a lot of ships and buildings, which not only shows tactics but durability as well. (1234567891011)

Being the husband of Midnighter, Apollo is well aware of how to fight dirty. Rulk is no play by the rules guy either; I think they would probably be equally nasty in this fight.

I think his biggest weakness here is probably that he seems to need to recharge from the sun fairly often, and since he doesn't have doors, he can't do that here. So over the long run he'll get weaker. Whereas even if Rulk is generally not going to use his absorbing powers in character, he'll certainly use them in a last ditch situation I think. So Rulk always has something in his back pocket, while Apollo sort of has a hole in his pocket. OK, I'm not doing a good job arguing for him here... :)

Getting back to how he could actually win, as I've said in past threads I am a believer in the tactical advantage of flight. A guy who can fly is, in my belief, just way more maneuverable, capable of attacking from a position of advantage, and capable of better defensive moves, than one who can not. So I think Apollo has a big advantage from that. And given that he has eye beams, he can attack from range far better than Rulk can, who will have to throw stuff, which is much less accurate. And since Apollo regularly flies through stuff, thrown things aren't going to do too much damage to him. (Apollo's heat vision has sterilized the whole moon after it was infected.)

Here's the Captain Atom stuff (1234); I know nothing about him but it seems impressive considering the comparisons to Majestic.

That's what I've got. Call me Captain RespectThreadRegurgitation!

Also shout out to @warlockmage for posting scans and arguments for red hulk.

Thanks again for any support and help for these sporadic fun comments. Battle Forums have a lot to offer in terms of discussion, Tournaments, and Challenge a Viner. The only place to discuss dream matches you would never get to discuss anywhere else. Also if there is any artist who like to make some art for these segments, please do PM me. I post regularly in the Artist Show Off for talent want to make a quick sketch for recognition of their skills.

Also big thanks to...

k4tzm4n, Sirfizzwhizz, Laflux, Lukehero, TheNewBlueBeetle007, HigorM, Cosmicallyaware1, Floopay, YourNeighborhoodComicGeek, Wyldsong, Lvenger, Tparks,Elliajah_C_Washington as well any others who jump on board with this project.

Feel free to read the debate here:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-week-apollo-vs-red-hulk-1801534/?page=1

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Was a interesting match up.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Warlockmage

shoutout to @owie and @wyldsong for getting me engaged in a thread i was determined to stay out of. good job guys

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

WTF. I missed it ;( for shame, I must not seclude myself in the furthest ends of the earth until the next Battle Of The Week...On a more serious note.

Good Debates all around and good job as always with the set up @jashro44

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WTF. I missed it ;( for shame, I must not seclude myself in the furthest ends of the earth until the next Battle Of The Week...On a more serious note.

Good Debates all around and good job as always with the set up @jashro44

Sorry man, I guess I should have tagged you in the second post as well as the OP. I'm glad you enjoyed the debate and thank you for making the suggestion.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@jashro44: Nah its all good, usually I look for this stuff on my own, keep up the good work with these!

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 owie  Moderator  Online

shoutout to @owie and @wyldsong for getting me engaged in a thread i was determined to stay out of. good job guys

Back atcha, I'm glad you took the time to give Rulk's side a real rundown.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is about how I figured it would go down. As far as bricks, Apollo has always come off as one of the more brittle ones.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2