Battle of the Week: Green Lantern (John Stewart) vs. Ronan the Accuser

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

John Stewart with his Green Power Ring or Ronan with his Universal Weapon? Will the cosmic hero from DC defeat his second opponent in this segment or will the enhanced Kree from Marvel strike him down? That's what we want you -- yes, you -- to think about this week and you have until Friday morning (EST) to make up your mind.

Does the location benefit one more than the other? Whose mentality will give them the edge? Which powerful weapon prove to be more useful in this brawl? Do they have any obvious disadvantages that could lead to their defeat? We know it's easy and even tempting to immediately vote for the character you like more, but we strongly encourage taking the time to really think about how this fight plays out. Once you've reached a conclusion, cast your vote and then join the debate. Your post just may convince other people how to vote.

No Caption Provided

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character. This means their usual set of morals apply.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side). Both sides have no immediate knowledge of their opponents, either.
  • The fight starts in Times Square. Assume they begin roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Times Square isn't populated, but the rest of the city is. The entire city is on limits as well.
  • If you're very unfamiliar with New York, click here to see a map.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, a.k.a. knocking the enemy so far away that there's no way the fight could continue in the near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the near future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than just complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.

No Caption Provided

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• The results of the poll.
  • Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner arguments for both characters.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Want to make a suggestion for John Stewart's next Battle of the Week? Tell us below or share it via twitter.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

First vote...

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John wins if he starts dacing to distract Ronan.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

omg Yes... I think ima back Ronan here

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ei need to see about the energy related powers of the Universal Weapon.

BulletTimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BulletTimer

John for sure, Ronan loses way too much... he hits above his level and misses

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Ronan, he may not be SS level with Power Cosmic but too much for John. Ronan still going to lose because of DC Fanboyism.

ShadowHuntR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Ronan, he may not be SS level with Power Cosmic but too much for John. Ronan still going to lose because of DC Fanboyism.

Poll has been open for less than an hour. If you want Ronan to win, fight for it. Spread the word, drop some facts, etc. All of which are way more effective than insulting anyone who disagrees with your verdict.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna reserve my vote for now. I fell like this is a mismatch. Then again I could be wrong.

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dredd_78

@black_arrow: Even in that movie it took an infinity gem to stop him.

Ronan is much more powerful, and he really should have won many of the battles the Marvel writers had him lose because he was on the "wrong side." John is one of the best GLC members, but Ronan should be a Guardian (Oan, not of the Galaxy) level opponent. Ronan is overpowered for this match up.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: Nah, I'm more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan. John just has a defense against pretty much anything that Ronan can throw at him. I honestly can't think of anything that he can pull out that can actually hurt John. Make no mistake, it would be a hell of a fight, but John wins more often than not, if not every time.

ShadowHuntR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not gonna vote on this one. Don't know anything about Ronan at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@k4tzm4n: I don't know, screaming insults at people until they give in works sometimes.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I know very little about both of them.
Someone, please mention both their feats

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the power of his ring John could make hundreds of jive, dancing constructs which would easily confuse and distract Ronan leaving him open for attack. All John has to do is rinse and repeat.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

John Stewart's biggest enemy is dullness

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By judasnixon

Ronan wins in a dance off..........

No Caption Provided
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EarthsMightiest
CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the environment will play a big factor, if Ronan starts to destroy the city in the process John will get too distracted and expand his resources, combine that with Ronan's ability to take a severe amount of punishment and the fact that the Ring could easily run out of juice in a fight like this and we have Ronan winning more often than not.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CheeseSticks

Ronan would win, but yeah. The vote will give Stewart the win. No point of arguing.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ronan's universal weapon has energy absorption and manipulation so ronan could possibly absorb the rings power

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm withholding voting this week until somebody convinces me on which of these two edges out the win.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superior_prime_maybe:

So for Ronan (link to respect thread below) Ronan is in possession of he "Ultimate Weapon" which allows him to perform similar feats to Silver Surfer to a lesser extent. This allowed him to whoop Black Bolt casually, beat the Fantastic Four a couple times, and do some other crazy stuff like canceling people's gravity.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/ronan-the-accuser-respect-thread-1544433/

John Stewart on the other hand has he most stable constructs of any green lantern, enough to hold Superman, tank a supernova, and is probably more tactically inclined than any of the other human lanterns. He doesn't have a respect thread that I am aware of.

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MeanAndGreen
Loading Video...
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesesticks: yes, because Stewart is soooooooo much more popular. Oh, wait. You're right. How could I forget "the dc fanboys" and the fact that "comicvine is dc biased".

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 owie  Moderator

This generally comes down to which is the better weapon: a lantern ring or the universal weapon. I don't have much doubt that the lantern ring is a better weapon.

There are some other factors: Ronan's armor is highly durable beyond whatever forcefields he may create, and gives him a high degree of strength. And Ronan is the better tactician by a fair amount, and his more militant morality will allow him to go for the kill.

But generally speaking I don't think these advantages are enough for Ronan to win a majority. Some, but not a majority. I'l give more details on my weapon vs weapon opinions later.

FIXER22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people need to understand what is on Jon's finger. It's a wish giving ring. I always felt like it was watered down because it's comic book writing but we've all thought of what we could do if we had one on our fingers.

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll hold on to my vote until I see a decent debate for on or the other, as it is I'm not sure who would win given my limited knowledge of the characters.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

yall are giving him some toughies!!!! going with john for this one

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I know more about the abilities of the GL ring but I know Ronan's hammer has a huge range of powers and Ronan is very physically dominant. Even though I'm a Lantern fan I'm leaning Ronan but I'm no expert on the Kree, so I'll with hold for now.

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool! Way better than the stomp that Black Bolt would receive. I think I will back Ronan here.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not familiar with Ronan to be honest, voted GL anyways

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jashro44  Online

Ronan won the vote? I thought black bolt was going to win. I don't mind because I think this is a better matchup.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jashro44 said:

Ronan won the vote? I thought black bolt was going to win. I don't mind because I think this is a better matchup.

He didn't, but the thread says winning the poll doesn't guarantee the character will be used.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jashro44  Online
amseaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ronan's universal weapon has energy absorption and manipulation so ronan could possibly absorb the rings power

This

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only know Ronin from the Guardians movie and nothing from the comics so i probably wont vote this week.

Needlebay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Needlebay

John wins. Ronan can't compete with a competent GL.

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MeanAndGreen

@amseaton said:

@sasquatch888 said:

This

Being able to absorb some kinds of energy in the MU doesn't mean one can absorb all types of energy in the DCU. I doubt he can siphon willpower. Even if he could, John has more will than his ring can process.

No Caption Provided

AND he can teleport because of his Star Sapphire abilities. Or just seal Ronan in a pocket dimension like the one he uses to store his battery.

jwrose5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jwrose5

Ronan is one heavy hitter, GotG, Avengers, and FF all had their difficulties taking down this guy. He's not a Herald level power cosmic wielder, but he certainly packs a wallop. In addition to being a one strong/fast dude, he's a trained Kree soldier and military genius, key word being "military". He is the best of the Kree Empire.

John is a regular man, but a brilliant soldier with a powerful ring. This fight is going to come down to their weapons and tactics.

Ronan's weapon uses cosmic energy to manipulate matter, shoot energy blasts, absorb energy, control gravity, create force fields and teleport. John's ring can shoot energy blasts, create shields and anything else that he can imagine.

This could go a number of different ways. John can win due to his creativity and that is probably the key to him winning.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ronan is powerful and all but he is really dumb.....remember the infamous dance off scene? Yeah that one

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By _ANDY_CAN

I believe John would win with the right constructs and military background. Also due to his willingness to get the job done pull the trigger and get the job done. So I'll go with John. Stewart

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John

estrato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna go with Ronan.

His weapon can have an advantage on the ring's powers as it can absorb energy and it's durability would be a factor when the ring needs a refuel.

Also Ronan for me it's more expierenced in the arts of war.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EarthsMightiest

@k4tzm4n said:

@earthsmightiest said:

Poll has been open for less than an hour. If you want Ronan to win, fight for it. Spread the word, drop some facts, etc. All of which are way more effective than insulting anyone who disagrees with your verdict.

I admire your optimism even if your faith is misplaced, look at this example of what were talking about:

@cgoodness said:

Not familiar with Ronan to be honest, voted GL anyways

I would suggest for the next round to prove us/me wrong that this is nothing more then a popularity contest make Johns opponent a very popular character that John would clearly defeat i.e. Spider-Man, Batman or maybe Wolverine. I would be very surprised if John dominated the vote like he should.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, my knowledge of Ronan is quite limited. I'll wait until I see some good arguments from both sides.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@jwrose5: John is not a regular soldier. Not only is he an excellent sniper, he OFTEN uses his architectural background, surroundings, and military training to outwit his opponents. And as we have seen, Ronan is pretty dumb. Not to mention John's speed feats (faster on the draw than Superman by Superman's account) and his willingness to blitz (as in his most recent fight with Fatality).

Andrelf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a doubt....how fast is ronan?

he always seemed like the weak link in the annihilators to me. I don't think he would do well against BRB in a fight for example...

so far, going with John again, just like last week against Magneto even being a biggest Marvel fan...

amseaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meanandgreen:

The ring uses the willpower of it's yielder to emit light based radiation used to create the energy, the ring can also simulate various forms of radiation, and give off electromagnetic radiation of various frequencies which can be focused by the wearer into a beam, similar in appearance and effect to a powerful laser.

Ronan can not absorb John's willpower, but he can absorb most if not all of what the ring emits.