Batman Battle of the Month: Batman vs. Cyclops

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Batman Battle of the Month: Batman vs. Cyclops (741 votes)

Cyclops 44%
Batman 50%
Too close to call 6%

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc..
  • All characters have standard gear.
  • This is PRE-PHOENIX FORCE Cyclops. This way he actually has control of his power.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in this poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

OH SNAP! It's going down! I'll toss in some thoughts on this later!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Batman should lose this.....

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Batman should lose this.....

Well, why don't you kick off the debate with an opening argument, then?

OH SNAP! It's going down! I'll toss in some thoughts on this later!

Looking forward to it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 k4tzm4n  Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Cyclops. The gap in destructive potential is massive, and Scott's morals aren't as restricting as Bruce's.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion, this all depends on how quick Cyclops resorts to his optic blasts. If he immediately decides to drop one, he'll obliterate Batman. The blasts are fast enough to hit Wolverine (who has superhuman speed and reflexes), and they have enough range to level a mountain. Bruce will probably be killed. If Cyke doesn't immediately resort to his optic blasts, and makes this a hand to hand battle, he'll definitely lose. I don't think he's an equal physically to Bruce, and he is definitely a couple of tiers below Bruce fighting skill wise. I'm leaning towards Batman here because I don't think Cyclops will use his optic blasts immediately.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Just realized I forgot to put "VOTING" in the title and can't edit.

FUDGE!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Not enough time for a long post, but basically I think Batman utilizes his stealth to close the gap and exploit the ludicrous disparity in H2H skill.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Standing face to face, lasers, dead.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Standing face to face, lasers, dead.

• They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc..
Elzio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Overall I'd say Batman has more chance of winning this, mainly because he has more ways of defeating Cyclops. The only thing Scott can really do here is try to hit Batman (which isn't a bad strategy) but Bruce has many gadgets at his belt, his stealth skills, and his massive H2H advantadge. In the end of the day, Batman's versatiliy will give him the win against Cyclops. Definetively not a stomp tho.

AzorAhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AzorAhai

In my opinion, this all depends on how quick Cyclops resorts to his optic blasts. If he immediately decides to drop one, he'll obliterate Batman. The blasts are fast enough to hit Wolverine (who has superhuman speed and reflexes), and they have enough range to level a mountain. Bruce will probably be killed. If Cyke doesn't immediately resort to his optic blasts, and makes this a hand to hand battle, he'll definitely lose. I don't think he's an equal physically to Bruce, and he is definitely a couple of tiers below Bruce fighting skill wise. I'm leaning towards Batman here because I don't think Cyclops will use his optic blasts immediately.

This. If Cyke is smart enough not to engage Bruce in H2H, he'll win no doubt. Sure Cyke is trained but not to the extent that Bruce is. There is also no way in hell Bruce is dodging that optic blast.

CEELO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops takes this. His bank shot accuracy is amazing. Even if batman hid behind something Cyclops would ricochet his beams off of a street lamp or car mirror. Batman isn't ready for that. Also worst come to worst Cyclops has the option to ignite the entire street in his optic blast. Lets see the Batman dodge that.

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

I'd say Cyclops. The gap in destructive potential is massive, and Scott's morals aren't as restricting as Bruce's.

I agree, but if Bats manages to get close enough it's over. Tough one.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azorahai said:

@wolverine08 said:

This. If Cyke is smart enough not to engage Bruce in H2H, he'll win no doubt. Sure Cyke is trained but not to the extent that Bruce is. There is also no way in hell Bruce is dodging that optic blast.

I agree completely with @wolverine08

If he lets Batman get close and make this resort to h2h,then Batman wins.

If Cyclops uses his optic blasts (which he most likely will),I think he obliterates.

Although these voting things are almost useless when it comes to Batman. I mean,it's clear that 90 percent of people will choose batman automatically or have some bias towards him,so.....

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83:

Lol, true about the bias towards Batman.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Cyclops should shoot an optic blast that purposely misses Batman, only to ricochet and hit him from behind, knocking him out. Win for Cyclops.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman has dodged lightning, bullets, even dr light's beams he has this.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I can see it going either way, but I'd have to say Batman in a close match.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By krspaceT

This battle will be a great clash of tacticians. Batman's greatest challenge will be finding a way to avoid the optic blasts, but I feel as though that Batman might be a smidgen smarter than Scott...or perhaps his intelligence is better suited to this sort of battle. Scott is a tactician used to team efforts: he knows where to put the Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, ect to maximize their abilities effectiveness. Batman is more suited to fighting alone, so Scott, who has never truly been alone, will have that as his undoing.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This is the fastest I've ever made a decision about one of Gregg's battle articles. But this seems like the best answer to the battle so far. They're fighting in character so Scott won't use a full ranging optic blast on Batman. This gives Batman time to find cover, stealthily approach Cyclops and then surprise him with his vastly superior combat skills. Batman isn't a fool and if Cyclops just fires warning shots, Batman's going to realise he'll have to get into cover and surprise attack him.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

If this were a wide open space, I'd back Cyclops easily, but in a downtown area, where Batman can duck in cover and use stealth to get the jump on Scott, I'll give it to Batman for the win.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Batman should win this, he's better in H2H than 'clops and he is used to people who are trying to shoot him (and they mostly miss). And he will undoubtedly lure Cyclops into a spot where he is if first blinded before he's taken down.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hawkguy

It all comes down to the first optic blast tbh. I don't have too much knowledge on Scott but I don't think he'd outright shoot a full strength optiC blast.

If its small enough for Bruce to dodge, I think Bruce can close the distance with his stealth and incapacitate Cyclops. Interesting battle though, I look forward to reading what other viners think!

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shawnbaby

I think the cover is fairly useless against Cyclops...who can do some amazing bank shots. Also his control of exactly how much power he wants to exert is equally impressive.

Bank Shots

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Control

A little optic Blast Acupuncture
A little optic Blast Acupuncture
Drills a hole in the centre of a nickel. Important to note he does this without the aid of his visor.
Drills a hole in the centre of a nickel. Important to note he does this without the aid of his visor.
What he can do when he doesn't need to control his blasts.
What he can do when he doesn't need to control his blasts.

Scot showcases both his control and skill by clearing the table with one blast. Once again, he does this without the aid of Visor.
Scot showcases both his control and skill by clearing the table with one blast. Once again, he does this without the aid of Visor.

Why Wolverine doesn't want to face him across a pool Table

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83:

Lol, true about the bias towards Batman.

lol it's not even funny. Watch the votes 88 percent batman. 10 percent Cyclops. 2 percent too close to call.

And with his ricocheting accuracy and skill,I mean,I think he wins.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Batman should take this, I think Bruce may be able to keep the stealth advantage and use it so that he can get close enough to Cyclops so that he can make it a H2H battle. In which Batman would win.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops for a majority only due to his optic blasts. If Bats gets in close it's all over for Cyke.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: He hardly uses bank shots in combat though. And Batman can just use the cover to sneak up on Cyclops and overpower him in close quarters. Cyclops only has a chance at a distance.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: That's easier said than done seeing as Wolverine taught Scott how to detect people trying to sneak up on him, also the closer Batman gets to Cyclops the harder it will be for him to dodge an optic blast and unfortunately for Batman a single shot should effectively one-shot anyone with anything less than superhuman durability.

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you guys need to stop picking Batman for these things its too much.....batman always wins crap..... nobody is objective

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shawnbaby

@lvenger said:

@shawnbaby: He hardly uses bank shots in combat though. And Batman can just use the cover to sneak up on Cyclops and overpower him in close quarters. Cyclops only has a chance at a distance.

He has used bank shots plenty of times in combat when he doesn't have a clean line of sight on his opponents

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooh... this is tough. I'll have to think about it... Sorry, Batman. As much as I love you, you don't always win.

Let's see... Of course, Cyclops Optic Blasts would be his best weapon against Batman. But the question is, will he be able to hit him with it? Batman is very agile, and that's an understatement. A man his size and weight moves at the speed of an Olympic athlete. Okay, I didn't have to mention that last sentence but I just love that about Batman. Since they're quite far away he should be able to use the environment as cover to eventually reach Cyclops... It really is just a matter of whether Cyclops can land an Optic Blast on Batman. If Batman does reach Cyclops, he'll most likely be too occupied trying to block Batman's blows to even touch his visor, so he'll have to resort to hand-to-hand combat. While he is highly skilled, I'm quite sure it's not on the same level as Batman.

So, it's a matter of speed. Which is faster, Cyclop's Optic Blasts or Batman... It's definitely the former, but they're apart so Batman might still be able to dodge it momentarily... Though, it's only 30 feet so it's not that far. If he somehow gets close enough though, he pretty much wins. I can't really think of any gadget that would help him from a distance though. But there's plenty of cover around so he might be able to use those. But then... those covers won't really do much cause Cyclop's Optic Blasts can "punch a hole through a mountain"...

Being the tactician that he is though, I think Cyclops wouldn't resort to his Optic Blasts immediately and try to observe what Batman is capable of. If he does do so, then Batman should be able to close in on him to take him on in hand-to-hand combat--which he'll win. This is really tough... I'll have to come back for my answer later.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@barkley said:

you guys need to stop picking Batman for these things its too much.....batman always wins crap..... nobody is objective

It's once a month and I don't plan on discontinuing the feature. No one is forcing you to read it if you don't want to.

X_SOLDIER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the reasons so brilliantly sourced by Shawnbaby, I don't see Batman coming out victorious in this fight. Even if Scott starts by firing warning shots, all that does is lead to a false sense of how devastatingly powerful his optic blast CAN be, which you don't want to discover at close range.

(I don't see Cyclops winning the poles over Batman either for the aforementioned popularity reasons).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

He has used bank shots plenty of times in combat when he doesn't have a clean line of sight on his opponents

Proof of this since the only examples you've given have been training sessions in the danger room? Not to mention that Batman can distract Scott with his gear such as smoke grenades, batarangs and more. That keeps Cyclops' optic blasts busy whilst Bruce attacks Cyclops directly. Then it's over. I'm afraid in an environment that gives Batman a chance for cover and stealth, I don't see Cyclops being likely to tag Batman.

nigravirum1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really have no clue what to say.... Normally I would say Batman all the way, but this is a RANDOM encounter.... could Bats really beat Cyclops knowing nothing about him and being completely random. I honestly don't know.... This is too close to call for me. I'm not entirely sure.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shawnbaby

@lvenger said:

@shawnbaby said:

@lvenger said:

Proof of this since the only examples you've given have been training sessions in the danger room? Not to mention that Batman can distract Scott with his gear such as smoke grenades, batarangs and more. That keeps Cyclops' optic blasts busy whilst Bruce attacks Cyclops directly. Then it's over. I'm afraid in an environment that gives Batman a chance for cover and stealth, I don't see Cyclops being likely to tag Batman.

Actually the first Scan was from Murderworld...but if you want more:

Double Ricochet blast around a corner
Double Ricochet blast around a corner
Banking a shot off Stone to blast Logan full in the face
Banking a shot off Stone to blast Logan full in the face

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depowered Storm took down Cyke. Batman wins unless Cyke see's him coming from like a mile away.....which won't happen......

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They start a decent distance away, meaning Cyclops could possibly hit Batman and end the fight immediately, or if Batman uses the cover, destroy anything that could provide cover from Batman. If Batman somehow gets up close, I feel Cyclops, while definitely not skilled enough to beat Batman in hand to hand, can hold him off long enough to get a little range and hit Batman with an optic blast. A single optic blast is all it would take to beat Batman. Since there is no prep for Batman, he definitely doesn't have an advantage in this fight.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lvenger

@shawnbaby: He's been beaten by much lesser foes than Batman level characters. A depowered Storm outfought him remember and took off his visor so he couldn't unleash a blast. And Batman's dodged bullets and other energy projections with ease too so I still se it as unlikely for him to be tagged by Cyclops in a city like environment with cover.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Bats would find a way either to avoid Cyke's eye blasts or to prevent it from happening. Batman all the way.

opticblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By opticblast

Both are master tacticians and highly intelligent.

In a close quarters fight, Cyke would be a great match since he has master fighting skills in judo and jiu-jitsu (not to mention that he has fought and trained in the danger room against every x-man in the team always learned new skills from them because of that), but in the end the batman would win for sure, his fighting skill is far superior.

If Cyke mantains the tactical distance, Cyclops would win easily even with batman being as agile and clever as he is.. If the Visor goes off.. well, its total destruction and in my opinion Cyclops would win.

No Caption Provided

VILLAFICATION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw this and thought Batman definitely, but after thinking it through I have to say I discounted Scott way too quickly. I think Batman has him outclassed in every area (Physicals, Equipment, Possibly Mentality ), but Scott's optic blasts might just be enough of a wildcard to take down the Dark Knight. The biggest question is would Scott go for his visor immediately. I think he would, because Scott is a soldier and if his mission is to take down the Dark Knight then he would do it as soon as he could, and this gives Scott the edge over Batman who has to travel 10-20 meters before he can become more of a threat.

Scott wins 7/10

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@tikhunt said:

@dagmar_merrill: That's easier said than done seeing as Wolverine taught Scott how to detect people trying to sneak up on him, also the closer Batman gets to Cyclops the harder it will be for him to dodge an optic blast and unfortunately for Batman a single shot should effectively one-shot anyone with anything less than superhuman durability.

How well is he at sensing someone sneaking up on him?

rasheng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone is forgetting about Batman's utility belt.Smoke bobs and batarang's can be used either as a decoy or just to focus on Scott's glasses.So the only question is if Batman can close the gap fast enough.Which i think he can,we have seen him jump great distances before.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@shawnbaby: He's been beaten by much lesser foes than Batman level characters. A depowered Storm outfought him remember and took off his visor so he couldn't unleash a blast. And Batman's dodged bullets and other energy projections with ease too so I still se it as unlikely for him to be tagged by Cyclops in a city like environment with cover.

He's also beaten foes much greater than Batman. And Batman has lost to foes less than Cyclops. Seriously, these type of arguments are useless. Everyone in Comics has won and loss against opponents that were greater or less than themselves.

Cyclops lost to storm because he underestimated her because she was depowered.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

Great Choice for a battle, I love the new title!!.

Cyclops has the ability to blast concussive beams from his eyes, They can be very deadly, As we saw in AvX when Cyclops used his laser eyes against Captain America

Skrazzkoom!!
Skrazzkoom!!

As you can see in the scan Cyclops has the ability to blast Captain America quite far back, Showing that Scott has alot of power in the optic blasts. Scott also has great accuracy with the blasts, which has been demonstrated countless times. Scott was in his teens when he first joined the Xavier school meaning he has been learning to control and master his powers for a long time.Scott is also very tactical.

Batman however is know for his for his ability to plan a head but as you said there is no prep time so his ability is canceled out. In the New 52 Bruce has been Batman for 5 years, where as I mentioned before Scott has been a member of the X-men since he was in his teens.Batman Armour has been shown to withstand bullets but looking at that scan the sheer force of the blast In my opinion would be too much for Bruce.

Putting this all into consideration I would think Scott would win this fight.