• Win by any means
  • Who wins and why
reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@nickzambuto @sirfizzwhizz @highaccuser @slimj87d @laflux @juiceboks @monsterstomp

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This is going to end with an ugly slug fest between NickZ and SirFizzWhizz.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MonsterStomp

Arrow. More versatile and probably more skilled.

EDIT: Oh wait hand-to-hand. I don't know.

Avatar image for thesilentripper
TheSilentRipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheSilentRipper

Ult. Cap because feats?

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jestersmiles

Ult cap in a stomp.

stats equal? Still Cap

TheSuperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

With equal stats I will say Oliver wins

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sy8000

Steve punches his head off.

EDIT: Equalized stats? Probably Arrow.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With equal stats I will say Oliver wins

Madripoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The man stated to have a brain superior to a supercomputer.

Avatar image for wolverineistoaa
WolverineIsTOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one wins

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

H2H only, equal stats... why us Ultimate Cap at all?

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap beats the living hell out of Oliver. I don't know how people think Oliver has a chance of winning this.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

H2H only, equal stats... why us Ultimate Cap at all?

Because this way you and Nick are baited into a debate :p

BoostMyGold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still Ultimate Cap even with the handicap.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: there is better ways to bait with more fruitful discussion. There is nothing to work with here.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: there is better ways to bait with more fruitful discussion. There is nothing to work with here.

yeah this battle makes little sense IMO

Avatar image for deactivated-61c1f20acb732
deactivated-61c1f20acb732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: @jashro44:I would give Captain America a shot against Oliver before his League training. He is one of the best tactical fighters that I can even think of, and he rarely faces enemies with an end-all-be-all physical weakness that he merely needs to exploit, like Kryptonite. When he faces the Hulk, or Giant Man, he needs to legitimately be clever in order to just outsmart them, and not only outsmart them, but outsmart them to the degree of outmatching their extreme power. Now Arrow is a better martial artist, but what's the difference between that and Giant Man being 20x stronger? Cap is overcoming a power disadvantage either way. And his fight with Nuke proved that he's still able to think up tactics on the fly that are also effective against people in his own weight class, whereas someone like Batman kinda loses any tactical sense in favor of a martial arts duel whenever the chance comes up.

That's probably why Ult. Cap has so few real martial arts showings, despite his bio stating he's trained in many styles. It's because he never, ever foregoes his intelligence in favor of brute force like most other characters do. Strategy is the most dangerous tool, he never fights foolishly.

Now in order to combat that, Oliver has his insane damage soak + admirable tactical skill in his own right, so a fight between them pre-League is a toss up.

Post-League though, Oliver should win every time by virtue of just sheer god-tier martial arts skill. Captain America will literally never even land a hit, he'll never get close, Oliver will be controlling the fight the whole time.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By mickey-mouse

Your bait failed!!! But, 7/10 for effort!!!

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nfactor1995

@nickzambuto: I'm getting the vibe that you consider current Green Arrow borderline invincible in CQC/H2H combat...in any medium (comics or live action)...barring some ridiculous ability by the other character (i.e. CW Deathstroke)

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pure h2h? Even with equalized stats, Steve has taken on dozens of people in his weight class simultaneously. Plus he has superior armor.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I'm getting the vibe that you consider current Green Arrow borderline invincible in CQC/H2H combat...in any medium (comics or live action)...barring some ridiculous ability by the other character (i.e. CW Deathstroke)

My post was literally in defense of Captain America, not Oliver, are you kidding me?

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: You said that post league Oliver had "God-tier" martial skills, Cap would never land a hit, never get close, and Oliver would control the fight the entire time. Current Oliver=Post League Oliver...

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jashro44

@nickzambuto said:

Post-League though, Oliver should win every time by virtue of just sheer god-tier martial arts skill. Captain America will literally never even land a hit, he'll never get close, Oliver will be controlling the fight the whole time.

Honestly I don't think current Oliver is god-tier....He hasn't won a fight all season. Maybe the flash/arrow crossover will save him. Or maybe when he promises to kill Darhk for killing whoever grave that was (I'm guessing Thea....)

AlphaAboveAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve=Oliver. 50/50 chance on how it's played.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:
@nickzambuto said:

Honestly I don't think current Oliver is god-tier....He hasn't won a fight all season. Maybe the flash/arrow crossover will save him. Or maybe when he promises to kill Darhk for killing whoever grave that was (I'm guessing Thea....)

He's had two low losses (Double Down and Anarky) and one loss against Damian, which isn't a bad thing. Other than that he does the best job at wrecking HIVE fodder out of everyone, and has yet to get his own rival, besides, well, Damian. I don't think we should wipe away what the character is actually meant to be just because a few illegitimate low showings due to plot reasons. You have to ask yourself, are the showrunners actually trying to nerf Oliver's skills? Or is he still the same guy we saw in season 3? As in, if Ra's al Ghul came back next episode, would the showrunners have Oliver lose this time? I think the answer to that is no. There's no indication that Oliver is less skilled, he's just had a few losses for sheer plot reasons, but those aren't really indicative of his capabilities.

On the bright side, he's been getting some radical archery showings:

• Tagged Liza Warner twice in the same episode on separate occasions, who was trained specifically to combat the Green Arrow and could react to the speed of arrows effortlessly.
  • Fired four arrows simultaneously to destroy four separate security cameras all at different locations, heights, and angles.
  • Shot a running HIVE soldier through a blinding smoke cloud without actually being able to see him.

And he also survived a grenade going off right at his feet, despite the fact that the grenade killed all the HIVE soldiers surrounding him :0 AND he pulled that epic escape on Damian when they were rescuing Ray, snapping chains on each of his wrists in half in the process!!!

So clearly, Oliver's capabilities have not been any less this season, if you ask me he's better than ever. He just had those two, specific losses in melee battles, exclusively for plot reasons. I mean come on, just because the main character hasn't had the chance to defeat a noteworthy rival in a little while, doesn't mean the character is less skilled. It just means, well, he hasn't had the chance to face a noteworthy rival yet! Damian Darhk doesn't count since he is literally Oliver's superior. That is reflective of Damian, not Oliver.

TL;DR version - I like Arrow.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jashro44

@nickzambuto: I don't know if we can really chalk Olivers losses due to plot. And I'm not sure if oliver has the easiest time dealing with ghosts so far. Diggle did do better than him in the recent episode (granted considering how well Andy performed against Thea, and how Laurrel was struggling with one in the beginning of the episode and than owned a bunch in the hall way, I am guessing not all ghosts are equivalent so not sure if the ghosts are the best gauge). I dunno I just feel the writers are having Oliver lost a lot of fights to people he shouldn't...The problem isn't that he hasn't had a decent rival its a problem he hasn't won a fight unless you count the whole escape thing from Damian but I don't. And its not like these characters don't have showings to compare. Anarchy lost to Thea and double down got fended off by felicity (which was probably plot/fan service admittedly) but still. I dunno I guess its just hard to remember how impressive he is right now....I think at the least his skill increase wasn't as big as I thought it was.

I like arrow to and have really enjoyed this season but that doesn't really change the facts.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By brucerogers

I would back Ultimate Steve Rogers. Even if their stats have been equalized, he still has his healing factor which allows him to heal from blunt force trauma and piercing wounds pretty quickly. Plus he is skilled enough to close the distance and potentially beat Oliver in a brutal battle.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@nickzambuto: I don't know if we can really chalk Olivers losses due to plot. And I'm not sure if oliver has the easiest time dealing with ghosts so far. Diggle did do better than him in the recent episode (granted considering how well Andy performed against Thea, and how Laurrel was struggling with one in the beginning of the episode and than owned a bunch in the hall way, I am guessing not all ghosts are equivalent so not sure if the ghosts are the best gauge). I dunno I just feel the writers are having Oliver lost a lot of fights to people he shouldn't...The problem isn't that he hasn't had a decent rival its a problem he hasn't won a fight unless you count the whole escape thing from Damian but I don't. And its not like these characters don't have showings to compare. Anarchy lost to Thea and double down got fended off by felicity (which was probably plot/fan service admittedly) but still. I dunno I guess its just hard to remember how impressive he is right now....I think at the least his skill increase wasn't as big as I thought it was.

I like arrow to and have really enjoyed this season but that doesn't really change the facts.

His only two detrimental losses were against Double Down and Anarky. Now obviously Double Down isn't more dangerous than Captain Boomerang, Deadshot, or Komodo, and obviously Anarky isn't more dangerous than Slade, Merlyn, or Bronze Tiger. So does this mean that, not only was Oliver's increase less than we thought, but he somehow actually became WORSE by training with Ra's al Ghul?!... Absolutely not.

Those two melee losses should not rewrite Oliver's capabilities, when he is performing better than ever in all other areas. Not when there is clear plot reasonings for those losses. Oliver NEEDED to lose those battles:

• The showcase Thea's bloodlust
  • To regain trust with Diggle

This is in addition to Oliver needing to jobber. Does Taskmaster's constant jobbering lower his ultimate capabilities on the battle board? No, we accept those losses for what they are, because we know what the character is ACTUALLY capable of when all is said and done. So why does Oliver's two losses erase what he's done in the past, which includes surpassing Ra's al Ghul? Do we think that Anarky and Double Down are actually, seriously, legitimately better than the main character? Or were those losses just... clear inconsistencies, for the plot?

I could understand if Oliver was consistently and clearly being portrayed differently, like the writer's intentionally wanted to nerf his abilities. That stuff happens in fiction sometimes, when a character becomes too overpowered and it's hard to think up challenges for him. But the thing is, as I said, Oliver is performing just fine, if not better than he ever has before, those two melee losses not withstanding. So why should they alone dictate his capabilities, instead of us just calling them out for what they were? Which is plot progression, and jobbering.

The Ghosts are inconsistent as you mentioned, but what's important to remember is this: the only members of Team Arrow to not be overwhelmed by them at some point, are Diggle and Oliver. Thea and Laurel have some limit, but Diggle and Oliver are the only ones capable of fending off hordes of them like common canon fodder. That tells me something. In last night's episode, while everyone was fulfilling their specific duty inside the building, Oliver was the one outside in the main courtyard, singlehandedly fighting off dozens of HIVE soldiers for that entire time, until Ray eventually showed up, but Oliver seemed to be doing fine so it isn't like Ray rescued him.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jashro44

@nickzambuto: I see what your saying. In regards to taskmaster I don't dismiss his low showings but I do weigh them with his other showings, and even though he has a lot of bad showings he has a lot of amazing showings to. Concerning Oliver and the ghosts as I said Oliver did get overwhelmed at one point so technically Diggle is the only one who hasn't been overwhelmed yet all though I guess its a moot point since there abilities vary. I guess I can try to give Oliver the benefit of the doubt but he really does need to start winning some fights (against name characters preferably)...

Superalexiy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slade Wilson is Already like a No-Morals Capt and Oliver Took him down(Non H2H but after The League of Assasins I think Oliver Could take him Down H2H).

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By renamed040924

@jashro44 said:

@nickzambuto: I see what your saying. In regards to taskmaster I don't dismiss his low showings but I do weigh them with his other showings, and even though he has a lot of bad showings he has a lot of amazing showings to. Concerning Oliver and the ghosts as I said Oliver did get overwhelmed at one point so technically Diggle is the only one who hasn't been overwhelmed yet all though I guess its a moot point since there abilities vary. I guess I can try to give Oliver the benefit of the doubt but he really does need to start winning some fights (against name characters preferably)...

Remember that he did make extremely short work of Liza Warner. It was with his arrows and not martial arts of course, but you have to think of it in the way that, that's because she wasn't worth going melee for. He dispatched her easily without even getting close using just archery. That's saying a lot because she was surprisingly BA. That should say something for his performances against named characters.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

Remember that he did make extremely short work of Liza Warner. It was with his arrows and not martial arts of course, but you have to think of it in the way that, that's because she wasn't worth going melee for. He dispatched her easily without even getting close using just archery. That's saying a lot because she was surprisingly BA. That should say something for his performances against named characters.

Yea but than she escaped and took him by surprise.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By renamed040924

@jashro44 said:
@nickzambuto said:
@jashro44 said:

Yea but than she escaped and took him by surprise.

That was after the fight was over. It was literally done, the bad cops were defeated, Lance was saved, job is done. Oliver's guard was now down and he was having a conversation. Liza merely escaped Oliver's bola arrow and blindsided him with a throwing knife through the spine without him knowing. That shows Liza's skills, but it's hardly as if Liza got one over on Ollie or anything. It wasn't a fight. He had already won the fight beforehand in about three seconds.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jashro44

@nickzambuto: Well OK but none of this has to do with hand to hand... Maybe his archery is better than before but I think he needs to start winning hand to hand fights soon.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

My reaction that this thread is still going on.