• Each fight takes place in the arena pictured
  • They start ten feet apart
  • They are all at peak health
  • They all have their standard swords and armour
  • No helmets, shields or other weapons
  • No prior knowledge
  • Everyone is character
  • All fights are to the death

How does each round go down? Can any of the Thrones characters take down Achilles? Give reasons!

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This isn't really a gauntlet, the Thrones guys are only in a rough order, but what are your thoughts?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rogueshadow  Moderator

Clears, even with massively inferior gear and armour.

Much faster and far more skilled. He killed about 20+ guys singlehandedly on the beaches of Troy when he took Apollo's temple and decimated Hector while barely trying. None of them have the combat speed to touch him.

Gregor is the only guy who might could put him down due to freakish strength, impenetrable armour and Achilles' short ranged weaponry, meaning he'd have to get close, but I'd still bet my money on Achilles if they were going into a ring together.

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow Thanks for the thoughts, fair points. If you think speed is the main advantage Achilles has, then do you think any of them match him in skill at all?

Any other thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

and decimated Hector while barely trying.

He didn't decimate Hector and most certainly was trying. And part of the reason he did so well is because he has greater stamina than Hector. They're quite evenly matched.

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords While i wouldn't necessarily say Achilles decimated Hector he did appear quite superior to the Trojan. Good point about stamina, i agree. What are your thoughts on this fight?

roronuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achilles never even struggled once and he puts all these guys down. Gregor is his most formidable opponent but his speed and agility advantage give him the win. I would bet he could even do his one shot jump thing to a few of them.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By micah007123

Clears, even with massively inferior gear and armour.

Much faster and far more skilled. He killed about 20+ guys singlehandedly on the beaches of Troy when he took Apollo's temple and decimated Hector while barely trying. None of them have the combat speed to touch him.

Gregor is the only guy who might could put him down due to freakish strength, impenetrable armour and Achilles' short ranged weaponry, meaning he'd have to get close, but I'd still bet my money on Achilles if they were going into a ring together.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:

He didn't decimate Hector and most certainly was trying. And part of the reason he did so well is because he has greater stamina than Hector. They're quite evenly matched.

I disagree, when he wanted that fight over, it was done. He was the best Achilles had ever fought, but he was still a good deal below Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@rogueshadow said:

I disagree, when he wanted that fight over, it was done. He was the best Achilles had ever fought, but he was still a good deal below Achilles.

Script disagrees.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No mention of it being a one sided fight. And even just from watching it you can tell Achilles isn't exactly finding it easy, especially later on in the fight where he's having trouble tagging Hector and when his chest plate is slashed. The fight went downhill for Hector after his trip and has stamina started depleting. Which is another testament to Hector's skill - Achilles had superhuman physicals, Hector didn't, yet he held his own.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rogueshadow  Moderator

@i_like_swords: Script is not the be all and end all, it's what's onscreen that matters. There is a big leap between how the director and actors decide to play it and what the script says. Achilles was in complete control for that entire fight. Hector was good, he scratched at Achilles and gave him a challenge, but even without knowledge of Greek Mythology, it was clear who had the upper hand throughout that entire fight in my opinion. That is plain as day in the way Achilles' moves and the expression on his face e.g. the bit when he nonchalantly stabs at Hector's shield, forcing him back and just gives him a blunt look, the bit where he pushes him away early in the fight and could have killed him but just watches him get knocked forwards etc. He was messing with Hector until he'd worn himself out and he could brutally kill him, plus he wanted their fight to be great. There are probably other bits I'm forgetting, I'll have to rewatch the fight, but in my opinion, Achilles could have ended that fight at any point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: I don't think you're remembering the fight correctly at all.

Loading Video...

0:15 - 0:27 - Both have extremely close shaves, nothing indicating that Achilles could "end the fight at any point"

0:43 - Hector breaks Achilles' spear

1:28 - After a build up of close fighting Hector slashes Achilles' armor

2:15 - Achilles evidently looking taxed either physically or mentally, not the type of face you'd put on if you could be ending this fight at your leisure.

And from this point on Hector is spent physically, and Achilles ends the fight.

Achilles was winning, that much is obvious, but saying that he "decimated" Hector or that he could of ended the fight whenever he wanted is just ludicrous. I mean yeah, it's cool and all that Achilles was able to slam Hector's shield as hard as he could and send him backwards, but that doesn't indicate anything other than a strength advantage - one that Achilles failed to capitalize on. Hector does the right thing and re-balances himself and then it's back to square one. Speaking of skill there isn't really much to split them, they both had their moments of success.

A1l_S2a3m4E5N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

Easy on the achilles downplay.

You're forgetting achilles first broke hectors spear b4 hector broke his. He also slammed hectors shield not once but twice the first time he jumped and slammed his sword down on hectors shield sending hector backwards he then proceeded to do it a second time on the ground (SUPERIOR STRENGTH). Hector slashed achilles armour and only got an upper hand ONCE (this was the only time). Achilles proceeded and disarmed (took and threw hectors shield away) hector. When hector tripped achilles could have capitalized on it, but, he told hector to get up that he wouldnt let a stone take his glory.

Achilles also injured hectors leg (cut his lap) pierced hectors shoulder with a spear which hector picked and tried to stab achilles (achilles took the spear without hector being able to do anything due to SUPERIOR SPEED), this brought hector to his knees and achilles killed him.

NOW TELL ME HOW THEY'RE EVENLY MATCHED.

ON TOPIC: Achilles clears.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a1l_s2a3m4e5n said:

@i_like_swords:

Easy on the achilles downplay.

I'm not downplaying him; I'm giving Hector the credit he obviously deserves.

And this somehow causes Hector breaking Achilles' spear to be non-existent?

@a1l_s2a3m4e5n said:

He also slammed hectors shield not once but twice the first time he jumped and slammed his sword down on hectors shield sending hector backwards he then proceeded to do it a second time on the ground (SUPERIOR STRENGTH).

Yep, as I said above, he was able to throw his strength advantage around. He didn't really capitalize on it though, other than looking like a badass.

@a1l_s2a3m4e5n said:

Hector slashed achilles armour and only got an upper hand ONCE (this was the only time).

Achilles only perceivably had the "upper hand" a couple of times himself, other than that it was a close enough fight. Saying that something only happened "ONCE" doesn't change the fact that it happened.

@a1l_s2a3m4e5n said:

Achilles proceeded and disarmed (took and threw hectors shield away) hector. When hector tripped achilles could have capitalized on it, but, he told hector to get up that he wouldnt let a stone take his glory.

He didn't throw away his shield, lol. He pushed Hector back after failing to stab him and Hector just happened to trip on a rock, which caused him to drop his shield. If Achilles had capitalized on that, the stone would have taken his glory, because the kill would have had nothing to do with skill.

@a1l_s2a3m4e5n said:

Achilles also injured hectors leg (cut his lap)

Which was when Hector's stamina was depleting.

@a1l_s2a3m4e5n said:

pierced hectors shoulder with a spear which hector picked and tried to stab achilles (achilles took the spear without hector being able to do anything due to SUPERIOR SPEED)

It was nothing to do with speed - Hector was exhausted because he has the physicality of a regular human being, opposed to Achilles who is portrayed as superhuman. Achilles' victory came from an advantage in stamina, almost primarily I'd say. The fight would have been prolonged had Hector had the physicals to keep up. Although IMO Achilles is still more skilled, but the disparity is actually minimal. People just see the slow motion zoom on Brad's face after he does his cool shield slam thing and think ermagerd he shtamped deh hectar

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@i_like_swords said:

Loading Video...

0:15 - 0:27 - Both have extremely close shaves, nothing indicating that Achilles could "end the fight at any point"

2:15 - Achilles evidently looking taxed either physically or mentally, not the type of face you'd put on if you could be ending this fight at your leisure.

Achilles was winning, that much is obvious, but saying that he "decimated" Hector or that he could of ended the fight whenever he wanted is just ludicrous. I mean yeah, it's cool and all that Achilles was able to slam Hector's shield as hard as he could and send him backwards, but that doesn't indicate anything other than a strength advantage - one that Achilles failed to capitalize on. Hector does the right thing and re-balances himself and then it's back to square one. Speaking of skill there isn't really much to split them, they both had their moments of success.

This didn't come through my Notifications for some reason.

Achilles' expression throughout the entire fight is one of far less effort than Hector in my opinion. That's a subjective thing, but he doesn't look like he is going at it to me, he constantly knocks Hector back and just watches him regain composure, he wanted to break him down and wear him out, basically make a fool of him.

0:53 - Achilles knocks Hector back - Doesn't even bother to press the attack

0:53 - 1:10 - Achilles can happily look away from Hector and still dodge his attacks - elbows him in the face and then let's Hector regain composition - He doesn't even press an attack

1:15 - Doesn't even aim for Hector's face but slams his shield with the tip of his blade o knock him back - He's just f*cking with him in my opinion.

1:33 - Grabs Hector's blade - Hector is wide open and yet Achilles just holds him in place when he has essentially disarmed him - Kicks Hector back, Hector is on the floor and he let's him get back up for kleos. He was just playing this whole fight up in my opinion.

Then he obviously dominates the rest of the fight from then on.

Achilles wanted to degrade him, to make him struggle and strive before killing him. While I do think Hector showed great skill, he never had the slightest chance in that fight in my opinion, Achilles just wanted to utterly destroy him rather than swiftly kill him.

A1l_S2a3m4E5N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

Achilles was portrayed as the most skilled warrior NOT a superhuman. and dude youre saying they were close in skill but they werent. Achilles handed hector a beating and killed him whiie hector only slashed achilles breastplate. Achilles was the superior combatant. He was superior to hector at everything. Twas not a close fight.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By slimj87d

I understand where I_Like_Swords is coming from.

He's not downplaying Achilles but opening your eyes to see that he didn't steam roll Hector and stomp him.

For someone with superior physicals (throwing a spear a distance that would require 3X more than the Olympic record) and speculative skill advantage, Hector put up a good enough fight to make Achilles work for his win. Hector only had pure skill to draw on to last as long as he did.

That being said, the formula for Achilles win is a combination of his physicals and skill. It's hard to prove how much of a skill advantage he has over Hector due to his physicals having played a hand in his win and there not being anyway way to compare only skills to one another.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a1l_s2a3m4e5n: He was. The script mentions him carrying out superhuman acts throughout, his spear throw was superhuman, his arrow dodging/deflecting was superhuman ect.

Well, when you put it like that..... I still disagree. And I'd hope anyone with eyes would also disagree. Except from the part where you say:

As if I hadn't acknowledged this already.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't edit my post with this browser. But for example, what if Hector had the same strength and stamina Achille's had, how would the fight have drawn out?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow:

Achilles' expression throughout the entire fight is one of far less effort than Hector

Breathing intensifies
Breathing intensifies

he constantly knocks Hector back and just watches him regain composure, he wanted to break him down and wear him out, basically make a fool of him.

Not at all. It takes a couple of seconds for Hector to regain his footing. If Achilles rushed in after stumbling Hector he could easily end up skewered. And it was like twice he did that, not constantly. You're exaggerating everything Achilles did whilst disregarding any successes Hector had.

Also, the script even says "Every swing is a death blow countered" - you can say that the script isn't the be all and end all, but it's the source material the fight was based on, and it's more than your subjective opinion of why Achilles didn't end the fight in -0.1 nanoseconds.

0:53 - Achilles knocks Hector back - Doesn't even bother to press the attack

Because he's not an idiot.

0:53 - 1:10 - Achilles can happily look away from Hector and still dodge his attacks - elbows him in the face and then let's Hector regain composition - He doesn't even press an attack

He wasn't looking away lol, he had his shield on his back which from what I can tell is just an unorthodox way of fighting. And you're acting like Hector wasn't dodging attacks himself or causing Achilles any level of strain, where he evidently was. The elbow's effect was absolutely minimal because Hector had regained his composure and restarted the attack himself in seconds.

1:15 - Doesn't even aim for Hector's face but slams his shield with the tip of his blade o knock him back - He's just f*cking with him in my opinion.

Of course he was aiming for him. His intention was to catch him at an awkward angle and send him back, like so:

No Caption Provided

And this is the position Hector was in after the strike - he's not exactly helpless, is he?

No Caption Provided

It's also fun to note that right after this, Hector dodges Achilles' attacks in a similar manner to how his blows were dodged, and then tags Achilles' chest plate. Yeah, that's definitely a sign of having the fight under your complete control. If anything Hector accomplished more because instead of just slamming a shield he actually managed to come close to doing real damage.

1:33 - Grabs Hector's blade - Hector is wide open and yet Achilles just holds him in place when he has essentially disarmed him - Kicks Hector back, Hector is on the floor and he let's him get back up for kleos. He was just playing this whole fight up in my opinion.

Hector wasn't disarmed, and he wasn't wide open - he was just caught in a bad spot. If the rock hadn't been there Hector still would have parried Achilles' blow that was meant for his throat, taken the kick and remained on his feet. You're once against exaggerating and in this misconstruing what happened.

Then he obviously dominates the rest of the fight from then on.

Because Hector is completely gassed, which has no bearing on the fight that took place before.

Achilles wanted to degrade him, to make him struggle and strive before killing him. While I do think Hector showed great skill, he never had the slightest chance in that fight in my opinion, Achilles just wanted to utterly destroy him rather than swiftly kill him.

The script disagrees with you, and Hector tagging Achilles, dodging an equal amount of strikes, breaking his weapon, keeping up with him despite a disadvantage in physicals, and causing him visual strain disagrees with you.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rogueshadow  Moderator

@i_like_swords: A lot of what you're arguing over is just interpretation, you think he was an idiot for not pressing the attack, I think he chose not to. You think that he wasn't disarmed when Achilles grabs his arm by his shield etc so rather than just both pick apart each other's argument for the next 20 posts in futile pedanticism. I'll just end it here because we disagree on core tenets of the fight; to me, Achilles' moments of advantage seem greater than they did to you in importance, so we'll get nowhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-63665f9fbd262
deactivated-63665f9fbd262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: While i agree that Achilles didn't decimate Hector i don't think they're that evenly matched. Hector seemed barley hanging on the entire fight but still managing to keep up while Achilles seemed just annoyed that he couldn't get a clear hit on him. It was like Achilles was never in any real danger during the entire fight, even when Hector manages to scratch his armor both seem surprised that he managed that.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achilles is significantly outclassed in terms of armor and weaponry, I think because of this he loses to anyone in plate.

Take the most skilled and unbeatable soldier from the Civil War and put him against an average US Soldier from this era and who wins?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of what you're arguing over is just interpretation

Not really.

you think he was an idiot for not pressing the attack

Quite the opposite, actually. I said he's not an idiot because he chose not to press the attack immediately, because evidently Hector regained his balance very quickly after each shield-slam and it'd be stupid to assume his defence had evaporated.

I think he chose not to.

Script disagrees,

You think that he wasn't disarmed when Achilles grabs his arm by his shield etc

He wasn't disarmed..... He had his sword in his hand, all Achilles did was trap his arm. Achilles tried to stab Hector in that position, but his stab was blocked - he then kicked Hector away and, boom, rock. Only then did Hector lose his sword.

so rather than just both pick apart each other's argument for the next 20 posts in futile pedanticism. I'll just end it here because we disagree on core tenets of the fight

I don't see my argument being picked apart to be honest, this just seems like you conceding with conceding.

to me, Achilles' moments of advantage seem greater than they did to you in importance, so we'll get nowhere.

If they were as important as you think they were you'd have an easier time proving that it's the case.

@dewin50 said:

While i agree that Achilles didn't decimate Hector i don't think they're that evenly matched.

Good, because neither do I.

@dewin50 said:

Hector seemed barley hanging on the entire fight

Hardly. He was obviously strained but he had some level of comfort. I have a feeling you aren't going to bring up anything to support this claim either.

@dewin50 said:

while Achilles seemed just annoyed that he couldn't get a clear hit on him.

I would find that pretty annoying too.

@dewin50 said:

It was like Achilles was never in any real danger during the entire fight, even when Hector manages to scratch his armor both seem surprised that he managed that.

There is no "even when" - it happened, therefore Achilles was in real danger. Just like he was in real danger when he was dodging slashes with centimetres to spare throughout the fight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bfd5d714c687
deactivated-5bfd5d714c687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to Greek Mythology isn't Achilles invulnerable everywhere except his heel? I don't think that's the case in the movie, because he gets shot in the chest at the end and dies. I could be wrong, I haven't seen the film in a while. Anyway, invulnerable or not, I think Achilles clears with some difficulty with oberyn, Jaime and the hound.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaluk: In mythology he is invulnerable everywhere but his heel, and you're correct in thinking it's not the case in the film. He's just portrayed as borderline, or true, superhuman, but there isn't anything mythical about Troy. His Goddess mother for instance is a 40 year old woman in the film, opposed to an immortal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Ease the hostility, i have no intention of proving you wrong since this is a discussion of interpretation facts are limited except maybe the script you brought up but i'm just here to tell my side of it.

Good, because neither do I.

Ok..

Hardly. He was obviously strained but he had some level of comfort. I have a feeling you aren't going to bring up anything to support this claim either.

No i won't since it's just my interpretation, we've both seen the fight so there's nothing new i can show you. But as i saw it Achilles was the one on the offensive with Hector only doing his best to keep up and throwing hits here and there. And when dodging it seemed to require more from Hector while AC did it more casually, and for every hit HE threw AC were throwing 3.

I would find that pretty annoying too.

Ok... i don't question or judge him for being annoyed, i was just comparing their mindset and that Achilles was more annoyed than scared because he didn't feel like he was in any real danger.

There is no "even when" - it happened, therefore Achilles was in real danger. Just like he was in real danger when he was dodging slashes with centimetres to spare throughout the fight.

Well there is an "even when" since it was the only time Hector got a close hit on Achilles. During the entire fight Achilles was the one leading the pacing of the battle but that was the only moment when Hector put him to a stop. And i don't know exactly what you want to prove with him dodging slashes centimeters away, no need to dodge further away since he's already dodge it. If you want to say that he was barley dodging them then i have to disagree since his dodges never slowed down his momentum, he always seemed in control where his sword was and where it was going. Even at the end of the battle he was scratchless except the part of his armor.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rogueshadow  Moderator

@i_like_swords: Stop being so arsey ILS, the only reason I'm not trying to prove my case is because I can't be bothered to do so, there are things I could state, then thing you could state and on and on it goes. You get too worked up over these things.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: @rogueshadow: imo the fight was one sided in the sense achilles was much more in control, and dominating hector - it was almost obvious that he had the advantage and was going to win. But the skill/stat gap didn't look large enough to say he could finish the fight any time he wanted. Out of 10, he'll take the fight lot more often than not, but he won't take it easy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow said:

@i_like_swords: Stop being so arsey ILS, the only reason I'm not trying to prove my case is because I can't be bothered to do so, there are things I could state, then thing you could state and on and on it goes. You get too worked up over these things.

I will now take this as a concession, and your attempt at making out I am "worked up" isn't a good substitute for an argument.

@princearagorn1 said:

@i_like_swords: @rogueshadow: imo the fight was one sided in the sense achilles was much more in control, and dominating hector - it was almost obvious that he had the advantage and was going to win. But the skill/stat gap didn't look large enough to say he could finish the fight any time he wanted. Out of 10, he'll take the fight lot more often than not, but he won't take it easy.

That's more or less what I've been saying. Achilles was always going to win but he wasn't really stomping Hector. He had some good moments throughout, but so did Hector, which did cast a little doubt over Achilles. But he wasn't just pummelling the guy at every turn.

@dewin50 said:

@i_like_swords: Ease the hostility, i have no intention of proving you wrong since this is a discussion of interpretation facts are limited except maybe the script you brought up but i'm just here to tell my side of it.

What hostility?

@dewin50 said:

No i won't since it's just my interpretation, we've both seen the fight so there's nothing new i can show you. But as i saw it Achilles was the one on the offensive with Hector only doing his best to keep up and throwing hits here and there. And when dodging it seemed to require more from Hector while AC did it more casually, and for every hit HE threw AC were throwing 3.

Your interpretation is evidently different from mine, the script's and the film itself's, unless there's something I'm missing.

@dewin50 said:

Ok... i don't question or judge him for being annoyed, i was just comparing their mindset and that Achilles was more annoyed than scared because he didn't feel like he was in any real danger.

This doesn't really translate into Achilles not being in any real danger, and you couldn't possibly know what's going through his head. He obviously had a level of comfort but it was still a difficult fight for him, and that's not only in regards to offence.

@dewin50 said:

Well there is an "even when" since it was the only time Hector got a close hit on Achilles.

No Caption Provided
@dewin50 said:

During the entire fight Achilles was the one leading the pacing of the battle but that was the only moment when Hector put him to a stop. And i don't know exactly what you want to prove with him dodging slashes centimeters away, no need to dodge further away since he's already dodge it. If you want to say that he was barley dodging them then i have to disagree since his dodges never slowed down his momentum, he always seemed in control where his sword was and where it was going. Even at the end of the battle he was scratchless except the part of his armor.

What does leading the pacing of the fight have to do with your original point that Achilles wasn't in danger? A boxer can ramp up a fight to a higher pace and still get punched, and the same goes with this fight, evident by the fact Hector kept up with Achilles' pace and actually tagged. All you and Rogue have managed to actually prove is that Achilles was winning, which is something nobody is disputing.

Dodging something by centimetres is a lot less comfortable than dodging it outright. You have to be kidding yourself if you think missing a blade by such a small margin supports not being in any real danger.

Achilles' momentum has nothing to do with the distance he was dodging strikes from. Obviously Achilles kept a solid momentum throughout the fight. Once again, all this helps support is that he was winning the fight.

Again, there is no "except", it happened. You can't just exempt yourself from evidence because you don't like it.

And an often overlooked part of the fight is actually the rock. Hector had gotten the upper hand just prior to slipping, and then Achilles is attacking pretty much as he is stood up. He has very little time if any to regain his footing, and then Achilles slashes his legs, and fatigue begins setting in. If that rock wasn't there Hector would have just regained his footing and the fight would have continued.

Mije_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And an often overlooked part of the fight is actually the rock. Hector had gotten the upper hand just prior to slipping, and then Achilles is attacking pretty as he is stood up. He has very little time if any to regain his footing, and then Achilles slashes his legs, and fatigue begins setting in. If that rock wasn't there Hector would have just regained his footing and the fight would have continued.

Not really. He lets hector get up, and then Hector takes the first like 2 or 3 swings, which Achilles doesn't even parry, he just dodges them, then slices his leg.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mije_101:

He lets hector get up

Yeah, that's all he does.

and then Hector takes the first like 2 or 3 swings

Which is a pretty smart thing to do considering you just got to your feet half a second ago and you have Achilles bearing down on you. He didn't have the correct footing to dodge out of the way or anything without losing balance again, so, offence was the only real option there.

which Achilles doesn't even parry, he just dodges them, then slices his leg.

Well, you got one part right.

Mije_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that's all he does.

Yes... what, you prefer he hand him his sword as well, make it a little more even? rofl?

Which is a pretty smart thing to do considering you just got to your feet half a second ago and you have Achilles bearing down on you. He didn't have the correct footing to dodge out of the way or anything without losing balance again, so, offence was the only real option there.

He had plenty of time to get up, he could have moved away to regain composure instead of getting up and lunging at him with attacks. Also, the rock is part of the environment, and Achilles did kick him to make him trip over it. He might have lost his balance anyway, he WAS stumbling.

Well, you got one part right.

I wish I could say the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mije_101:

Yes... what, you prefer he hand him his sword as well, make it a little more even? rofl?

No, I don't prefer anything - I'm just telling you exactly what happened.

He had plenty of time to get up, he could have moved away to regain composure instead of getting up and lunging at him with attacks.

Not really. Achilles was already walking towards him when he was on the ground. He had to get up there and then or he would be dead. So, like a smart person, he gets up - and look, there's Achilles standing a matter of feet away from him.

Also, the rock is part of the environment, and Achilles did kick him to make him trip over it.

LOL where did you get it in your head that Achilles wanted him to trip over it? There's nothing to back this up, and the fact he "doesn't want a stone to take his glory" only goes against your theory.

He might have lost his balance anyway, he WAS stumbling.

He hadn't lost his balance. If he had lost his balance he'd be on his ass. Achilles had hit him harder during that fight and he remained on his feet, I doubt one kick is going to put him down.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

I agree with all of this. Hector was a badass lasting this long against Achilles is a great feat. He was indeed a threat.

But back on topic, I haven't seen Game of Thrones. Really want to, but haven't got around to it. I came here for Achilles, haha.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with all of this. Hector was a badass lasting this long against Achilles is a great feat. He was indeed a threat.

Damn straight bro. High five.

No Caption Provided

Drew_Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achilles should clear. Dude was a beast. He has displayed greater strength than he actually looked like he had and great combat reflexes. The GoT characters here have never shown anything that could be on par with Achilles' feats and stats.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By those_eyes

achilles clears.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Wow, i wrote a mid lengthy response and posted it but now it doesn't show up either here or on my posts... Yaaaaay....

Avatar image for theamazingbatman
theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is everyone discussing achilles vs hector here? This isn't a fight between those 2 .

Anyway , IIRC , in the Iliad , Hector and Achilles were far more evenly matched . Their first fight in appolo's temple lasted for near a day , and neither had advantage on the other . The fight ended in a stalemate .

Their second fight was an improper one .

Athena helped Achilles a great deal , thats why achilles won .

And BTW , hector was said to have slayed 31000 greek warriors in the trojan war . THAT'S A HUGE NUMBER .

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Penderor
  1. easy
  2. easy
  3. I am giving Drogo 10 seconds
  4. not really sure how long in seconds, but its easy anyway
  5. easy
  6. Achilles wins in a good fight.
  7. I am giving Oberyn 15 or 20 seconds.
  8. Same as previous

@theamazingbatman Where dud you've read he killed 31k warriors? Greece according to the myths had between 70-130k soldiers in Troja.

Avatar image for theamazingbatman
theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor said:
  1. easy
  2. easy
  3. I am giving Drogo 10 seconds
  4. not really sure how long in seconds, but its easy anyway
  5. easy
  6. Achilles wins in a good fight.
  7. I am giving Oberyn 15 or 20 seconds.
  8. Same as previous

@theamazingbatman Where dud you've read he killed 31k warriors? Greece according to the myths had between 70-130k soldiers in Troja.

In wikipedia .

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• John Snow

Achilles 9/10 or even 10/10. This isn't a knock on John Snow. He isn't a bad fighter but he isn't a great one either. Unfortunately for him Achilles is a great fighter and he won't have any problem dispatching John Snow.

• Daario Naharis

He is pretty good and should be capable of giving Achilles more of a challenge. In the end Achilles outclasses him by too great a margin thanks to Achilles's speed and skill. Achilles 8/10

• Khal Drogo

I have never been impressed by Khal Drogo as a fighter. He was a great rider and in fantastic shape but I don't feel he's among the elite warriors in GoT. Perhaps if he had faced more of GoT's top warriors he'd have more feats but that isn't what happened. I have to go with Achilles 9/10 simply because Achilles is much to fast and this is one of the only cases where he will have superior equipment.

• The Hound

Now its getting tougher. The Hound has the advantage of size and he also has a technological advantage, coming from a setting with more advanced metallurgy than Achilles. I feel the Hound is a little under rated as fighters go and he'll be able to give Achilles a fairly challenging bout. Still, Achilles is simply too fast for the Hound. Achilles 7/10

• Brienne of Tarth

Brienne is an interesting case because her TV version and book version seem to have different capabilities. In the books she is not accustomed to killing and is not quite as skilled a rider as some of the other knights, such as the Knight of Flowers. In the books that is a decided disadvantage in jousts and any time fights happen on horseback. She's certainly skilled however she is mostly very large and powerful as well as being surprisingly quick for her size.

The TV show presented her as tall and very skilled. She appeared to match her enemies more with skill than brute force and speed. She had no problems killing either.

Achilles still has a large advantage in speed, over both the novel and TV version. He should have a large advantage in skill over the novel version of Brienne and a moderate advantage in skill over the TV version. He'll win, 7/10 though I feel Brienne poses a greater threat to him than the Hound even though I have given them the same score.

• Jaime Lannister

Now we're talking. In my opinion Jamie is the greatest threat on this list, assuming we are talking about Jamie before he loses his hand. He is the most skilled fighter, he has a tremendous amount of experience, he's quick, intelligent and he uses arms and armor that are both more advanced than Achilles and the finest money can buy.

In a battle between two melee fighters from vastly different eras the interplay between their weapons is especially important and here Jamie has his largest advantage; his sword. While Achilles has a bronze age spear, shield and short sword Jamie has a longsword, which is quite possibly the apex of war-fighting melee weapons.

The metallurgy in his time is also superior to the metallurgy in Achilles time, and there are many moments in GoT where a longsword will penetrate through a weak point in armor or simply hack through the armor itself. In the fight between Achilles and Hector there are several moments when Achilles's armor stops Hector's attacks. Once when Hector slices Achilles across the chest and once when Achilles uses the greave on his foot to block one of Hector's attacks. (There may have been more that I missed.)

Looking at the way these weapons are presented in their fictional universes and its clear that the GoT longsword is superior in cutting power to the swords of Achilles's fictional world. Therein lies Jamie's greatest chance; if he can land a strike it is more likely to penetrate Achilles's armor than Achilles's strikes are to penetrate Jamies armor.

Because the OP states that there are no helmets, shields or other weapons this places Achilles at an even greater disadvantage. His spear and shield would go a long way toward evening the balance with Jamie's longsword and armor.

If Achilles had his spear and shield I would give him a 6/10 victory. Close, but his speed and skill are superior to Jamies. However without the spear and shield he must face Jamie's longsword with only his bronze shortsword and for that reason I feel this battle will be a draw; 5/10

• Oberyn Martell

This is another fight in which Achilles's shortsword places him at a large reach disadvantage. However I feel one of the most critical factors here is going to be Achilles's experience fighting against spear wielding foes and his own skill with a spear. In his world almost everyone uses a spear. Achilles fights against spears all the time and he uses them all the time. His fight against Hector showed how advanced the spear fighting styles of his world are and it also showed how well Achilles fought against a spear wielding enemy.

This is different from his fights against longsword wielding foes because the longsword is a weapon he has never seen or fought against before. Its the equivalent of a revolutionary war soldier running into a machinegun for the first time; even if he is a good soldier he needs to adapt new tactics to deal with more advanced technology. But a spear is a spear. The superior metals Oberyn's spear is made from do not make any difference to Achilles's tactics.

Although it would seem that Oberyn would have a massive advantage I feel that this is the one fight in which Achilles will be the most comfortable. He's also faster and has shown the ability to close the distance with incredible leaps. Although it seems counter intuitive I believe he'll match up better against Oberyn than he will against Jamie, because he's extremely experienced and skilled fighting against spears.

That, however, does not make it an easy fight. Oberyn is a skilled fighter in his own right, not to mention quick and intelligent. Nonetheless Achilles should be capable of winning about 6/10 thanks to his speed and skill.

• The Mountain

Honestly.. Achilles has a huge advantage. Strength and aggression are not going to work against Achilles, simply because he is too fast, too skilled and preternaturally calm in life and death situations. To make maters worse the Mountain isn't exactly a quick man. The Hound was able to stand in front of him and dodge several of his attacks without retaliating and the Hound isn't all that fast. Achilles will have no problem dancing around the Mountain and bringing him down with precise strikes to vital locations.

Aside from a lucky blow there's really no way for the Mountain to win here. Achilles 9/10.

Abyssdarkfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

achilles clears.

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to everyone who has given their opinion on the fight, feel free to expand on your answers if you wish. @lady_liberty Thanks for the very detailed comment dude, that's the kind of comment people should leave on these threads. Knowledgeable and on topic.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Silverrings

@lady_liberty No problem, i'll keep an eye out for your fights so i can return the favour.

kurthoff90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kurthoff90

@lady_liberty: Gregor is abnormally quick for a man his size so I'd say he'd be about the speed of a average warrior and he also is a instinctive warrior that moves on pure survival/destruction. And he does have skill too otherwise he wouldn't be feared the way he is, rage and strength do not really aid him if he can't use it correctly, he is proven to be unstopable on the killing field as is achillies. He also has a weapon advantage steel verses bronze and a range advantage he swings a at the very least a 5ft blade which he wields with one hand with ease but in a battle with Achilles he would most likely use both for better control which equates into less wild swinging and more precise strikes.Bronze doesn't hold a sharp edge very well so his armor would prove impenetrable. Achilles also wields a short sword so he has to get in close and personal and that puts him in danger of Gregor grabbing a hold,of him and potentially crushing him to death which he could do with ease if given the chance. He also has a psych advantage because of his reputation of being a complete psychopath with his utter cruelty and being a brutal rapist something achillies isn't really accustomed to and could possibly knock him off his game just enough to make mistakes he normally wouldn't, Achillies has a worrior reputation of being a gifted killer which I think Gregor wouldn't be bothered with of at all because he believes he's indestructible and for the obvious reason that he has proven that in battle. I doubt achillies has access to the poisons that Oberyn Martel had and that's the thing that in the end brought him down. So the mountain is my bet to take down Achilles, it won't be easy but I believe he has a good chance of taking down achillies. Id go into more in depth analysis of other GoT warriors but I don't have anymore time for now.

Combatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achilles clears