inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Most of Jesse Eisenberg's comments while working on the 2016 film Batman v Superman, where he will play Lex Luthor, have been controversial and a bit polarizing, especially when comparing San Diego Comic Con to a genocide. However, Jesse Eisenberg appeared on TheToday Show recently to discuss his upcoming book of short stories and he ended up discuss the 2016 Warner Brothers/DC film.

It was written by this guy, Chris Terrio — this is like his first movie after Argo. He’s just this brilliant writer of characters. So this movie is, you know, it’s not like a kind of cartoonish superhero movie. It’s this very serious and well acted, well written, well directed movie. It’s really phenomenal.

No Caption Provided

From a quick glance, many people will focus on what they consider to be the negative aspects of this comment, mainly assuming Eisenberg thinks all Marvel films are cartoonish. However, that's not entirely the point of what he said at all, even if people find his blunt comments to be a bit of a poke at other superhero films.

Man of Steelis a polarizing film, but what it did was set the tone for the rest of the DC Cinematic Universe, as far as we can tell, since it's the only film in the cinematic universe thus far. The trailers for Batman v Superman and Suicide Squadsure do look dark, gritty, and pretty serious though, and that's what Eisenberg is hitting on. Eisenberg really believes this is going to be a great film and his promotion of the film shows a bit more passion compared to the way actors tend to promote their films with bland, well-rehearsed speeches.

DC and Warner Brothers taking a more serious approach is an important and potentially risky move. On one hand, it does match the tone of the comic books series, even though many DC books are moving towards a more "fun" and "all-ages" atmosphere. On the other hand, it may alienate comic book fans and families, since the darker tone may not be for everyone. You won't see families going to the theater to check out Suicide Squad, that's for sure.

Most importantly, they're doing their own thing. Marvel found a lot of success with one-liners and bright, flashy films. Don't get us wrong, those films are awesome, and tonally, there is a lot of variety there, especially when you include Daredevil on Netflix into the mix. However, giving fans something different on the big screen could be a nice change of pace.

All-in-all, there's not much anyone can do that sit and wait for the upcoming 2016 slate of DC films, which consist of Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. However, Eisenberg is giving fans a bit more insight into the tone of the film. What do you think about Eisenberg's comments?

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

BvS may not look cartoony, but Eisenberg's Luthor did come off cartoony in the trailer.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Mfundroid

Thank goodness for Chris Terrio. He's the main reason why I'm giving this film a shot.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

He said this a while ago too. This isn't a new quote

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the tone that Warner Bros has for the DCEU. I believe films like the Green Lantern and Jonah Hex we Warner Bros attempts at making a Marvel type of movie. Both of those ventures were failures. The tone that Nolan established in his Batman series and Snyder also employed in MOS, works best for DC's properties. I'm looking forward to the realistic approach they're taking. I think it'll make for some amazing films and even more amazing stories.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like what he had to say about the movie. Not everything needs to be dark as many people constantly point out but most of the other superhero movies are pretty light, so it is a nice change of pace to have something different and a little more serious while still being epic. I loved MOS, its probably my favorite super hero movie, so if BVS is going to stay with that vibe, then I will probably love it.

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so excited for this movie. There's been too many lighthearted, comedic fun superhero films (well done, mind you!) for my taste, I miss the dark and grim stuff, especially I wasn't all about the Nolan films. Bring on the brooding!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Lvenger

Eisenberg's Luthor was the most comical and quirky part of BvS thus far, so this is exceedingly ironic coming from the one trick pony actor.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

@theheat said:

BvS may not look cartoony, but Eisenberg's Luthor did come off cartoony in the trailer.

Yep. I love that entire trailer up until the moment he speaks. I've tried to get over it, but "The Red Capes are coming? The Red Capes are coming?" Seriously, dude? I can't blame Eisenberg for the whole thing; he didn't write the line, but it was still delivered in a way that's impossible for me to take seriously. They could have cut some scenes of Power Rangers Zeo into the middle of the Batman V. Superman trailer, and it wouldn't have made it any more disruptive to the tone.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can´t wait, I hope this movie is great, I loved Man of Steel.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@lvenger said:

Eisenberg's Luthor was the most comical and quirky part of BvS thus far, so this is exceedingly ironic coming from the one trick pony actor.

Remember Loki?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im ready for this movie

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Six more months

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny how MCU films are less realistic with so more humor which I don't mind at all, while DCU are more realstic. Whereas in the comics its the total opposite.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@outside_85: Loki's quirkiness in Hiddleston's depiction is at least part of the character as befits the God of Mischief before he became the god of evil in Asgard. Lex Luthor is not a quirky or overly snarky character like the roles Eisenberg has played exactly the same before.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darker Tones are fine when applied to the right IP. Superman with a "Dark tone" is conceptually off-beat. It is hard to make a defining superman with a dark tone. And when comic writers DO happen to do a dark tone of superman, it's usually to highlight superman doing un-superman like things. Or "What If" superman went bad kinda thing.

Batman V. Superman on the other hand has a good shot of working along side a dark tone. Primarily BECAUSE batman is in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63665f9fbd262
deactivated-63665f9fbd262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am i the only one worried that this film isn't gonna do that good? It seems to be too much like MoS and while it did good on the box office the fans were split and the critics hated it. I fear it's gonna be another mixed received movie witch isn't a particularly good start for the DCEU to have for its 2 first movies.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm optimistic for this film and not cautiously so. What i take away from Eisenberg's comments is his praise for the script, given his (jesse's) body of work, his praise of the writer and well written characters has me excited. Hopefully Zack Snyder ties it all up with a nice shiny bow.

For me it's always been about story. I don't need to be laughing to like something. The winter soldier and The dark knight are testament to serious superhero films and naturally they're peppered with humour.

Looking forward to BvS and Eisenberg as Luthor. He gave off this smug ***hole vibe in the trailer that already makes me hate him, mission accomplished! :)

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ips

the Marvel movies are neutral in tone. it makes them accessible to a wider range audience. they're not comedic or cartoony and they're not dire, grim or depressing. none of Marvel's films have been cartoony.

Tim Burton films are cartoony. Schumacher films are cartoony. Green Lantern movie was cartoony. several Fox and Sony Marvel films have been cartoony also. Jesse isn't referring to the Marvel films, though. he's referring to DC's previous failed attempts. the problem is the DC brand is based on characters that are role models and uplifting and hopeful rather than Marvel's dramatic and angst ridden characters. Nolan's batfilms took the joy and the superheroic wonder out of Batman because it was too grounded in realism--they just weren't fun. they played like cop dramas. MoS took a similar approach and the majority of fans didn't like it. and some asshole at WB thought the response was because Superman isn't relate-able to fans anymore--it's not that at all. Superman fans don't go to a film looking for grim gritty and edgy" realism. they got the tone of the movie wrong. it's not the character. it's them not knowing their audience.

i like Jesse but his comments here are ironic because they're in contrast to everything the fans want and everything the trailer shows already. "the red coats are coming" and "do you bleed"? maybe the Argo dialogue writer was sick those days when the dialogue was written. WB is trying so hard to be cool and edgy they're failing at it miserably and it's coming off comedic and cartoony. open mind and all; but the best we can probably hope for at this point is something depressing like MoS was. WB has to get their heads out of their asses. they need a devoted DC Studios with someone that knows the audience and the IP and believes in it enough to translate it to film without trying to update it or revamp it for flim.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So no batnipples or hot wheel tie-ins? Good to know.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

If the reviews are good I might go and see it I guess.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The irony of his statement is that most people can't take him serious as Lex for good reason. He comes off as an awkward wimp who has a cringeworthy voice.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@lvenger said:

@outside_85: Loki's quirkiness in Hiddleston's depiction is at least part of the character as befits the God of Mischief before he became the god of evil in Asgard. Lex Luthor is not a quirky or overly snarky character like the roles Eisenberg has played exactly the same before.

See thats the thing, Loki was never a quirky character either, but Hiddleston made him into one.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omega_ray_jay: Good to know that I'm not the only one who's going to do that.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

This movie is going to be amazing. I'm super excited!

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Eisenberg is just full of himself. I really hope his contract with DC films is just for one movie.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Eisenberg is a cocky little douche irl. He'll nail Lex Luthor

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im all for it.I enjoy DCs serious take than just trying to put in humor.Eisenberg is going to be a fantastic Lex,he is getting alot of heat from people,and well the man knows how to play the heel character well.Can not wait for the DCCU to take off.

Jumdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why so serious? =)

Yeah I went there. Anyway ok so it's a serious film. "Do you bleed?"

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@fuzzylittlerodent: if eisenberg can play a douche so well then he should hav been casted as the riddler instead especially if there r riddler easter eggs in Gotham

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lurkero

Because there has never been a successful entry that made the DC Universe seem grim?

No Caption Provided

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I guess there's nothing quite as cheerful in these dark and depressing times as a dark and depressing movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Hiddleston's Loki isn't even that quirky. Remember his conversation with Black Widow in Avengers while he was in the cell

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g-dude: In what regard, cause I would say most Marvel comics, I've read, are much more lighthearted then their DC counter parts.

Kervan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the Marvel films, but the Nolan films, MOS, and CA:TWS are my favorite films because they are a little more serious in tone. There is plenty of room for variety. Up until MOS, all of the Chris Reeve Superman films were a little more goofy and fit closer to that time period and what was expected out of superhero movies. But MOS has TONS of heart in it, and I think once people see BvS, then they'll probably come around to MOS more. That's my hope anyways so I don't have to keep defending MOS.

Remember, lots of Batman fans didn't like BEGINS when it first came out. After TDK, then people looked back on it more favorably.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny, the fans are the ones who've been reading the characters in some cases all of their lives, they know the characters, they've talked about them, compared strengths and characters and yet in Hollywood there's always some director or writer who takes one look at the character and decides to take him/her/them in a completely new/different/edgy direction.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kervan21: I thought the first one was a good origin story, the second one suffered from Joker omniscience.

Bonzi161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who was really unimpressed with TDK series (the movies not the comics) and not at all a fan of MoS I have a really hard time getting excited for this... I know these are tones for these characters that have been used... but I really didnt like any of these runs. I may be a victim of the era I was raised in but the over dark and gritty 80 stuff never appealed to me. I really like superman best in Justice League/Unlimited, and I like my Batman to be a detective as well as a billion dollar ninja... I just think these movies focus on all the wrong parts of the characters (I know all of this is opinion based and these movies will probably be shoved in my face over and over again but I just feel like as a child of the 90s these are not MY version of these characters and im just not interested)

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two times Eisenberg has shown us "his Lex Luthor", will get to why its in quotations in a sec, he's said about 10 words. In those 10 words you can't judge his character or if he's serious or not. Mind you Lex Luthor is usually depicted seriously, but is it a bad thing if we have a Lex that isn't serious all the time. In my opinion, with Lex being my favorite villain, I would say the attributes I want to see in him are confident, intelligent, ego-driven, and smug, all characteristics I've seen Eisenberg display in the past.

Now this is his version of Lex Luthor, he can do whatever he wants with character, and I want him to make the character his own and do something unique with him, within good standards of course. I mean no one seems to mind the movie Loki, movie Tony Stark, or the movie Hawkeye, who all are different from the comic book versions.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have no faith in Snyder. Glad he didn't write though. His fleshing of characters is so dull.

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g-dude: In what regard, cause I would say most Marvel comics, I've read, are much more lighthearted then their DC counter parts.

The Ironman, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk's comics I've read are more serious than their movie counter-parts. With Marvel now however I don't know, I'm kinda disappointed with Marvel right now. Still, change must come as always. DC comics has recently seemed to be moving toward a more open audience, never have they been this dark in their regular comics.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two times Eisenberg has shown us "his Lex Luthor", will get to why its in quotations in a sec, he's said about 10 words. In those 10 words you can't judge his character or if he's serious or not. Mind you Lex Luthor is usually depicted seriously, but is it a bad thing if we have a Lex that isn't serious all the time. In my opinion, with Lex being my favorite villain, I would say the attributes I want to see in him are confident, intelligent, ego-driven, and smug, all characteristics I've seen Eisenberg display in the past.

Now this is his version of Lex Luthor, he can do whatever he wants with character, and I want him to make the character his own and do something unique with him, within good standards of course. I mean no one seems to mind the movie Loki, movie Tony Stark, or the movie Hawkeye, who all are different from the comic book versions.

I'm actually glad they are.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch said:
@theheat said:

Yep. I love that entire trailer up until the moment he speaks. I've tried to get over it, but "The Red Capes are coming? The Red Capes are coming?" Seriously, dude? I can't blame Eisenberg for the whole thing; he didn't write the line, but it was still delivered in a way that's impossible for me to take seriously. They could have cut some scenes of Power Rangers Zeo into the middle of the Batman V. Superman trailer, and it wouldn't have made it any more disruptive to the tone.

100% agreed. Even if it's supposed to be a clever variation of Paul Revere's famous "the redcoats are coming" line it just didn't make sense since Superman is really the only one wearing a red cape in the movie judging from the info released thus far and the line was just WAY to cheesy, especially when compared to the movie's tone.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@knightsofdarkness2: I don't think that Lex literally means that people in red capes are coming, but rather super powered beings are invading us. He's just using Superman as a scapegoat to further that point. And once Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the others show up, it will only prove he was right.

I like the line.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I still feel the line was delivered very poorly and that they probably could have used another line that didn't feel overly witty to the point where it comes off cheesy but I get what you're saying.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like what I'm hearing.

Am I the only one who likes the fact that they will not be like Marvel?

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's wrong with his line???

That's what people do in everyday life. I've seen people who act high n mighty and are smug over achievers crack jokes before... It's always something like Jesse' line.

#army

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS blows every marvel entry out of the water in my book. I like my Superman dark, and the comical nature of Marvel films is getting pretty annoying. It was fine in guardians, came off really bad in Thor, okay in Antman, and absolutely horrible in AoU, i mean this was an ELE and they are treating it like a joke.