Batman & Robin Eternal #1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

In the New 52, Batman has been around for years, and while we've seen his Zero Year of becoming the Batman, there are a lot of missing stories of his adventures early on. Surely, there's something that happened within that time that was downright crazy, right? Well, that's exactly what BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL explores.

The book jumps back and forth between present day, where Dick Grayson, an agent of Spyral, has returned to Gotham City and working with Jason Todd and Tim Drake to stop some criminals, and the past where Batman and Robin (Grayson) dealt with Scarecrow. In addition, Harper Row and Batman (Gordon) come head to head. There's actually a whole lot more to the book as well.

As the issue goes on, it's revealed there's a current sinister force or villain (it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. There's lots of mystery) from Dick and Bruce's past that has popped back up, which leads to an incredibly startling reveal page, which is one of the biggest surprises in modern Batman comics.

One of the biggest surprises here is the return of a character that fans have been clamoring for: Cassandra Cain. That's right, after years of nothing, this character returns in a big way, after a pretty awesome fight with Dick Grayson. This character (just trying to avoid spoilers for those who want to stay in the dark) makes an awesome addition to the cast.

This is the first time, in quite some time, where the Bat-Family and the world of Gotham have felt fully realized. Sure, there's numerous Bat-titles out there and there is inter-connection between them, at times, but there's so many characters and concepts within that world at BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL utilizes a chunk of the in a story that really works. James Tynion IV and Scott Snyder complete a full picture with this story.

Tony Daniel (pencils), Sandu Florea (inks), and Tomeu Morey (colors) do an amazing job on this issue. The art is full of action and movement. It's clear and crisp and the book has a cinematic element to it that really helps push the story forward. Visually, this is a gorgeous issue, especially that final reveal page.

BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL is another great start to a weekly series. There is a ton of stuff going on here and it just makes you want to read more. Tynion, Daniel, and Snyder set this first issue up in a way where there are clues trickling over every page, as the book sets its hooks in. This is the most impressive opening issue for a Bat-title in years. I highly recommend picking this issue up.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I forgot all about this, and it's a weekly, geez, my wallet is gonna be hurting.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Wilbertus

And I thought about skipping this for financial reasons :(
Why does it have to be good?!

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By galeme

Can anybody inform me that when this story takes place? (I didn't read the Batman Eternal).

Edit: Ok i read the first to paragraph and i think i understand it.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that Cassandra Cain is in this means that I'll probably be picking it up.

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still can't believe this is happening, it's like they tailor made a book specifically to my interests. Glad to have this to look forward to every week.

Vitacura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't good. Comic by the numbers.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok, im intrigued

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

@galeme said:

Can anybody inform me that when this story takes place? (I didn't read the Batman Eternal).

Edit: Ok i read the first to paragraph and i think i understand it.

Batman Eternal was before Endgame, this is after Endgame and after issue #12 of Grayson from what I can tell. I'm not sure if this will be before after or during the Robin War.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

I'm way too pumped for this title! Hopefully it won't be filled with fillers like the last Eternal. I really enjoy how this is centered around Richard Grayson and the rest of the "Robins". The return of Casandra Cain is already pretty huge but these new villains Mother who is just shrouded in mystery and The Orphan who looks awesome and scary. And with Daniel being the leading artist for this book I have no complaints!

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I want to get this so bad but i cant commit myself to a weekly series! I will probably just get this in trades

ianrogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Casandra already got feats doe

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This first issue was really strong,had me questioning alot,but it is so great to see the Robins come together,and the last panel had me wanting issue 2 now!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Weekly? nah

~MiB

Avatar image for thelaughingfish
TheLaughingFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great Issue
Really has me interested in coming events.
Also:
I know he's kinda hated but HELL YES Jean-paul Valley on the list of "Orphans"
:D

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By galeme

@thelaughingfish said:

Great Issue

Really has me interested in coming events.

Also:

I know he's kinda hated but HELL YES Jean-paul Valley on the list of "Orphans"

:D

That little blonde child was Jean-paul Valley?

Avatar image for mrmatchesmalone
Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Visually, this is a gorgeous issue, especially that final reveal page", absolutely! Super dope issue! I dig a great mystery and this has tons; that new villian tho! So happy this is weekly.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oh god this gave me goosebumps.. This is an awesome issue!

ComicsRHealthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! What a mind blowing cliffhanger!

GillaDro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot all about this, and it's a weekly, geez, my wallet is gonna be hurting.

this

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue was intriguing and it has me interested but the appearance of Harper Row has left a bad taste in my mouth... ugh. I don't have anything against new characters but it's the way they're doing it that bugs me. So far all the appearances of Harper Row is basically her "saving" Batman, and one-upping members of the bat-family despite having no experience or skills save her engineering savvy. The accomplishments don't feel "earned" yet and there's ways to make a character interesting or fun without making another well-established character look bad. She feels very Mary-sueish.

They did a better job with introducing Julia Pennyworth and Duke to the Batman mythos. The way they did it with Harper Row really grates on my nerves. I'll keep at it, but Harper Row as one of the primary focuses on this book might sway me on removing it from my pull list.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By asjmooney

I hope Tony Daniel is on this series more often than not as his art is amazing.

Batman Eternal had a few bum issues art-wise so hope this one stays as bombastic and stylised as thie first issue was.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really liked how they introduced Cassandra.

But The Orphan is kind of a mixup of Moon Knight and Azrael to me. (I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be Jean-Paul Valley although the flashback in the caira don't seem to go that way.)

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

This week in comics is all about cliffhangers. Especially ones that make you want more. This issue does that and features some interesting things along the way.

Avatar image for thelaughingfish
TheLaughingFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galeme: his name was on the very bottom left of the list of "Orphans" that Dick was looking at.

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galeme: his name was on the very bottom left of the list of "Orphans" that Dick was looking at.

Ah ok. I mis misunderstand your message in the first place. Sorry my bad. Now i get it.