inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

In the current story line of BATMAN, by Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Danny Miki, and FCO Plascencia, a new villain, Mr Bloom is rising to power, while Bruce Wayne is spending time being Bruce Wayne. Currently, James Gordon has taken over the Bat-mantle and fighting crime on the streets of Gotham. Writer Scott Snyder talked to us over the phone about the current run and what's going on with Bloom and Bruce Wayne.

You can check out a preview of issue #43 right here.

Warning: There may be a few spoilers here for this series.

COMIC VINE: A few of the villains, including Mr Bloom and Doctor Death have this horror element to them. More specifically, elongated limbs and features. Why do you gravitate towards villains like this?

SCOTT SNYDER: I think part of it is Greg's [Capullo] inclinations to have it come off as creepy and his deep horror roots as well. We both enjoy horror, so Doctor Death was different in the way that he's sort of growing out of control and bones are breaking.

Mr Bloom is more so of a shapeshifter. He's scary in a different way. To me, he's the weed the grows up between the cracks in a city where there's been chasms between communities and neighborhoods and authorities and all these factions. He, to me, has this very very has this fluid, almost scary way of walking around where his fingers stab you before you even know it and sometimes he doesn't even realize he's doing it. He's very spooky in that regard.

CV: What is Mr Bloom? There's this hidden beast within him, yet he seems like a normal criminal.

SNYDER: He's a person. He's not mystical or anything like that. He's very human, but what he's done to himself is spooky.

CV: Issue #43 feels like a "passing of the torch" from the villains of old to the villains of the new. Are we in a transitional phase right now between the criminals that are fighting for power?

SNYDER: Well I think what we wanted to do with "Endgame" was burn everything down and have all the villains and all that stuff go away, including Bruce [Wayne]. Even with the colors, FCO [Plascencia] is talking about giving it these apocalyptic Batman colors that involve everything from "Killing Joke" from Brian Bolland to DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. The color scheme, itself, was like pooling into oblivion. For us, it really was about ending everything that we worked on and serving something brand new. Of course, all of that stuff will probably come back, in a different way, even through us. At the moment, we wanted to get rid of everything and this is the moment where Bloom is saying "it's not your Gotham anymore."

No Caption Provided

CV: A bit part of this issue, as well, is that Bruce Wayne isn't the Bruce Wayne he once was. Are we dealing with a form of amnesia or is something psychological going on like repressed memories due to shock?

SNYDER: No, it's not amnesia. It's meant to be neurological damage in a way that it's not that he just forgot. Those memories don't exist anymore, in his head, so his brain has been re-landscaped. There's nothing he can relearn or reclaim. It's all a brand new mind.

CV: So everything "Batman" is gone and he's just regular old Bruce Wayne now?

SNYDER: Yeah, exactly. It's gone and he doesn't have the skills. He doesn't have the abilities. He's just a normal guy. He's not going to be in an alley and have flashbacks to his parent's death. It's not going to be like he gets mugged and starts fighting and doesn't know why. He really is just a new person.

CV: That's almost like a traditional trope that we've seen in so many sci-fi films.

SNYDER: Yeah. We're moving away from that. I'm really excited about it. I feel like this is something a lot more, in my mind, severe here. He has a new brain. He is the new Bruce Wayne. It's not like the ghost of old Bruce Wayne is hiding away in his brain.

Thanks to Scott Snyder for answering our questions and make sure to check out BATMAN #43 when it comes out on August 12! Click here for a preview of the issue.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Don't like what I'm hearing about Bruce Wayne

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wat

Avatar image for stanthelibrarian
StanTheLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I don't like that Bruce Wayne bit as well, but he'll be back, we all know that.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He forgot all about Damian then???

SpiderAidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does this mean he forgot about Damian?

MultipleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to Bruce Wayne? I haven't kept up and the most recent paragraph on the wiki page is painful to read.

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I'm really confused. So where does the Darkseid War take place? Or is it more like a "what-if"?

Avatar image for stanthelibrarian
StanTheLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it doesn't seem like were going to be getting Bruce Wayne Batman for a while then...

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Can't take him serous, Mr bloom is kids tv in uk

http://www.towntalk.co.uk/subdomains/lib/image.php/75992_mr-bloom-visits-blackpool.jpg?domain=.co.uk&image=http://www.blackpool.towntalk.co.uk/images_folder/eventsimg/75992_mr-bloom-visits-blackpool.jpg

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that since Snyder and Capullo established themselves over numerous issues of great material that I can trust whatever they are going to do at this point.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamnotgroot: I'm assuming before this? D.C. did say they were going to focus more on stories than continuity after convergence

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay thanks.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I like this new take on Bruce Wayne

~MiB

omarthmainman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait so he's not rich anymore?? That's my only concern!!!!

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By flameboy298

I'm pretty sure he took away all of what made Bruce Wayne a interesting character atleast to me.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr. Bloom's mask makes me think of Red Hood and his theatrical pose makes me think of stage performance. Bloom probably isn't Joker but it makes me wonder when he'll be back.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I do not like the sound of that.
But, I have faith in Snyder. I just hope its Snyder who brings back Bruce as Batman not some other writer. It might get messy then.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr. Bloom is creepy!!

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

Avatar image for zarathos_no_daimaoh
Zarathos_No_Daimaoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry to say that as much as i like Snyder's writing , and still ultimately trust him , i'm not interested in gordon-Bat or Normie Wayne . And it's a shame really , so i have to drop it till that phase is over , the other alternative being growing impatient and angry with it . I'll just read it in one big swoop when its done

I've always actually been supportive of building a new legacy for Batman , such as Batman Beyond in the far future , or Dick Grayson becoming an actually great Batman . This does not feel like it , and is far too soon for my tastes .

It's even more troublesome for someone like me , since i do not enjoy Grayson's new book and status quo , even after giving it a chance . Nor do i enjoy the new Batgirl serie .

I know i'm being negative etc , but as of recently , i'm finding myself pretty much without a bat related book that i wanna read currently or in the near future ...

emers109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be shocked if Bruce isn't back to being Batman when they movie comes out... Which time frame wise will put them around issue #50

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already being done.

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emers109: Alright. I'm actually really okay with that. Mostly because all I read is Batman and now JL. But also, if continuity holds back a great story(Which I am loving Darkseid War so far), then I think Continuity should be ignored.

Rareblight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I mentioned before, Mr. Bloom is the Joker himself. That's all I know.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A brand new mind? Wat?

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@karnak said:

What happened to Bruce Wayne? I haven't kept up and the most recent paragraph on the wiki page is painful to read.

Spoilers:

In the endgame (Batman 40) story line Batman and the Joker fought to the death and presumably died.

After the events on Endgame Bruce is missing and Batman is gone, so Jim Gordon with the help of the powers company became Batman.

In issue 42 of Batman, Jim goes to find Bruce and discovers that Bruce isn't the same.

We have no idea what Bruce is going through or why he isn't Batman. We have to wait till the rest of Snyder's story comes out.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

@kfabz-23: I honestly don't believe it. Snyder has been known to fib when he's holding something back. I think that will be some big revelation, because Bruce was horribly injured at the end of Endgame, with him potential losing his eye. I doubt this is the real reason, and I think this Bruce is an imposter of some sorts

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamnotgroot: Darkseid War takes place between the three months that happened during Convergence

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flicker: That's when he's supposed to come back

Hollygrove20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hollygrove20

@kfabz-23 said:

My thoughts exactly

Avatar image for kylemurdoch1990
kylemurdoch1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really nervous about this Bruce Wayne. Honestly, I don't like it. But if I've learned anything since the New 52 started it's that Snyder knows what he's doing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So now Bruce is basically mind wiped and the memories don't even exist anymore. I really wonder how he's going to get back to his normal batman self. Guess I'll just keep enjoying batman in justice league then, since that's basically the only place I can find a batman story now.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to the rest of this arc. Hoping Mr. Bloom catches on as a regular villain.

Hungry_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hungry_Lion

I like this. Scott Snyder (and Grant Morrison before him) have pretty steadily been moving Batman out of the over-the-top darkness he's been stuck in since the 80's. Making him more human in many ways. I think that Batman will be different when Bruce inevitably returns to the cowl. Happier maybe. Fighting crime because he wants to and not just because he has to. I'm not saying I want Adam West or something, but I like the direction Batman's been taking since he came back from his death in Final Crisis.

Saint_Talker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@derf_jenkins: I think that since Snyder and Capullo established themselves over numerous issues of great material that I can trust whatever they are going to do at this point.

This Guy gets it!

AmbushSatyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who thinks Mr. Bloom is just the Joker?

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I always said it. I'm fine with a new Batman, knowing that Bruce will be back. I even gained a fondness for Gordon as Batman. But you just messed with Bruce. If he can't relearn or reclaim anything, then that means IF he were to come back, it would either be by magic or by simply relearning everything again (fresh mind). If it's the latter, no. That's not the Bruce I fell in love with (no homo). If it is the latter, you went too far, and I will be done reading this garbage once Gordons era is done, because I do not want to read about a brand new Bruce Wayne relearning everything.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

So Bruce Wayne is now a Noir detective. Hmmm...Seems interesting to me.

Nolidoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideraidan: Yeah that was pretty much my first thought. So he forgot he has a kid? You'd have thought the interviewer would have asked that.

BumBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait so where the fuck is Damian is he just flying around somewhere?

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumburger: Damian has his own book.. Written and drawn by Pat Gleason.

Avatar image for anarrowintheheart10
anarrowintheheart10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flicker said:

I will be shocked if Bruce isn't back to being Batman when they movie comes out... Which time frame wise will put them around issue #50

agree.