User Lists: 6

They're both awesome

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Here's how it happened,Hal Jordan(who was prick with zero personality) became insane and destroyed the GL corps,he even recreated the universe.Batman hates criminals and scum so it was natural for him to hate a megalomaniac even if that megalomaniac was formerly a hero,ofcourse you could say Batman was being harsh and unsympathetic,even douchey towards Hal and I'd fully agree with you.Still they did have an interesting dynamic if nothing else,neither was an angel.

The real problem started with Geoffcon man,he comes on board and dismisses everything Hal did(it was a giant yellow cockroach),next thing you know Batman is a useless moron who's hating on saintly Hal Jordan,dont you get it HAL IS A HERO THE COCKROACH DID IT,HE'S BLOODY AWESOME,BATMAN SUCKS JORDAN THE GREATEST OF THEM ALL,HE FEARS NO ONE... and he still doesn't have a personality.Simply put us Batfans dont take kindly to a biased writer who's done everything he could to convince everyone why Jordan is a brilliant character but never bothered to make him remotely interesting.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Not true at all,Diana owned Batman in Hikeateia ( spelling) I dont see Bat fans hating on her.

Truth is Johns took a lousy character and tried to build him up at the expense of a vastly superior one and still failed.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#104  Edited By Teerack

Why do people make such nonexistent connections?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#105  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

I don't......he is a douche though.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

they do?

I'm a Batman fan and I like Jordan.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

@entropy_aegis said:

@squalleon: Not true at all,Diana owned Batman in Hikeateia ( spelling) I dont see Bat fans hating on her.

Truth is Johns took a lousy character and tried to build him up at the expense of a vastly superior one and still failed.

I hate her for that. Imagine if Superman beat up Huntress. People wouldn't be saying "oh it was such a great showing of masculine perseverance". The hypocrisy of that whole thing really irks me.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#108  Edited By Lvenger

I'm a Batman fan and I like Jordan.

This for me too. Batman's my second favourite but Jordan is my 4th favourite. Johns can write him douchily though e.g His New 52 Justice League run.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Because Hal slugged Batman in GL Rebirth, it was an epic moment, ask Guy Gardner!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#110  Edited By Squalleon

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I hate her for that. Imagine if Superman beat up Huntress. People wouldn't be saying "oh it was such a great showing of masculine perseverance". The hypocrisy of that whole thing really irks me.

Hehe.

@entropy_aegis

I actually like both characters(i like Hal more) but i believe this moment in particular is what made the first Hal vs Bruce moment.It was like a beginning of a war and this was the first hit.

Johns really does undermine A-listers but i like him as a writer and i am willing to forgive him.

For example i loved Throne of Atlantis even though he undermined Superman so much.And i am a huge Superman Fan.

@fadetoblackbolt

Some times this whole fake "progress" of humanity disgusts me.

It seems that the balance is off but this time from the other side if you get what i mean.

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

My love for Batman has nothing to do with me 'disliking' Hal Jordan, hes just too arrogant for me.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@squalleon: I really don't think the hit in Rebirth matters that much in the fact that it was Batman being hit. Batman gets hit all the time and no one cares, it was the fact it was totally unnecessary and a sign of both poor writing and a lack of integrity on Johns' behalf. He hates Batman, everyone knows that. And so he decides to take a classic joke from a 15 year old series and chance in order to show how cool Hal is, and why not trusting a guy who committed genocide (manipulated or not, there was still some Hal in there) is utterly wrong. It was just bad writing.

Naturally, Bat-haters say that Batman fans are offended and uppity, but that's not true, the fact is it's just a very poorly written scene.

And I don't hate Hal Jordan, I hate Johns' Jordan, who went from Gary Stu to butt monkey once Johns lost interest and wanted to fellate Sinestro.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Squalleon

@fadetoblackbolt: Well as i said i don't like when Johns does that(undermine characters for the sake of others)
But i thought this was why Bat-Fans don't like Hal.I don't really know any other reason for people to hate Hal.
He was awesome in most of the stories i have read with him (ex.New frontier,sinestro corps,revenge of Black Hand,No fear)
Yeah he was a douche in New 52 JL.But in the first arc everyone felt off(batman showing his face,superman attacking without asking,darkseid coming to earth without a reason).....yeah the first arc was kinda bad :-P

Venditti seems to do a good job with the character.Haven't read his issues but i like what i see.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: The problem with Johns' Hal is that he's awesome.

That's it. That's his personality.

He's awesome.

Don't believe he's awesome? Well you're wrong, and various characters will tell you multiple times through any single arc.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Squalleon

@fadetoblackbolt: Well....true.
But maybe thats what the GL Franchise needed to survive.
Exept maybe No fear i don't remember any character evolution but i haven't read much of Johns GL so i don't know.But I know that he is likeable that's what i mean i don't see why people won't like him.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@squalleon: I really don't think the hit in Rebirth matters that much in the fact that it was Batman being hit. Batman gets hit all the time and no one cares, it was the fact it was totally unnecessary and a sign of both poor writing and a lack of integrity on Johns' behalf. He hates Batman, everyone knows that. And so he decides to take a classic joke from a 15 year old series and chance in order to show how cool Hal is, and why not trusting a guy who committed genocide (manipulated or not, there was still some Hal in there) is utterly wrong. It was just bad writing.

Naturally, Bat-haters say that Batman fans are offended and uppity, but that's not true, the fact is it's just a very poorly written scene.

And I don't hate Hal Jordan, I hate Johns' Jordan, who went from Gary Stu to butt monkey once Johns lost interest and wanted to fellate Sinestro.

Dont forget Cyborg and Aquaman

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@squalleon: The problem with Johns' Hal is that he's awesome.

That's it. That's his personality.

He's awesome.

Don't believe he's awesome? Well you're wrong, and various characters will tell you multiple times through any single arc.

pretty much. although it does seem to be doing a lot more for him in terms of popularity then DC's previous attempts at giving him depth. i've been reading around online and it turns out that alot of Hal fans who actually read his stories in GL volume 3 really liked them because Hal seemed like a true character with flaws but at the same time was getting his life back on track, sadly so many Hal fans had been turned off in recent years by DC just swamping him with flaws but not really showing any redeeming qualities (Keith Giffen turning him into a drunk driver was a big one).

for so many Hal Jordan writers, it seems that fans have to choose between everything that is good about Hal or everything that is bad about him. on one and you Green Arrow constantly telling Hal what a racist scumbag he is, on the other you have Barry constantly praising him.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am a big fan of Batman and he is my favorite character but I don't hate Hal Jordan.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's how it happened,Hal Jordan(who was prick with zero personality) became insane and destroyed the GL corps,he even recreated the universe.Batman hates criminals and scum so it was natural for him to hate a megalomaniac even if that megalomaniac was formerly a hero,ofcourse you could say Batman was being harsh and unsympathetic,even douchey towards Hal and I'd fully agree with you.Still they did have an interesting dynamic if nothing else,neither was an angel.

The real problem started with Geoffcon man,he comes on board and dismisses everything Hal did(it was a giant yellow cockroach),next thing you know Batman is a useless moron who's hating on saintly Hal Jordan,dont you get it HAL IS A HERO THE COCKROACH DID IT,HE'S BLOODY AWESOME,BATMAN SUCKS JORDAN THE GREATEST OF THEM ALL,HE FEARS NO ONE... and he still doesn't have a personality.Simply put us Batfans dont take kindly to a biased writer who's done everything he could to convince everyone why Jordan is a brilliant character but never bothered to make him remotely interesting.

no personality is an oxymoron. everyone has one even if you dont enjoy it.

misterbate316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By misterbate316

cause they are emo. they hate everything.

Eddgeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZERO PERSONALITY , Hal Jordan has an Alpha-male Like personality and I get it that it makes you angry that bats got punched by a guy with no martial arts talent I know how infuriating it is, that's how it was for me when I was watching/reading the Dark Knight Returns, when Batman tanks SEVERAL hits he shouldn't have from superman. He took hits he shouldn't have been able to... but it just goes to show that bad writing happens sometimes and it sucks, but that's no reason to say that Hal has no personality , because that's just plain ignorance :P

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By LordoftheNorth

like most people said the main problem is Geoff Johns He took a simple differance of point of view and attatude between Batman and Hal than blow it out of preportions. Making Batman out to be a douchebag but at the same time he throw Hal a big ol pity party even thou the guy had just commited genocide and it dosnt help Geoff John continues to fan the flames of Batfan hate even to this day. Thou to be fair to Geoff Johns they also pushed the same kind of BS with Green Arrow but atleast Green Arrow never had some PIS punch

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By MatteoPG

It amazes me that people are so upset about that punch. We all know Batman is the best hand to hand fighter and has way more training. The punch was written to underline Hal's outrage and what he thought of Batman, but also it was put there to show that he has no way of defending himself with words... it's not like Hal was trated kindly even though it was partly Parallax's fault. His guilt stuck with him for years. The punch was a cry of desperation on Hal's part.

I don't think that Johns was sitting at his desk and cheering like a baby moron: "YEah, take that. That'll show Batman fans that Hal is the coolest most awesomest character ever!"

Only fanboys make that kind of reasoning when reading a moment like that.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@matteopg: More than just the punch it is the sheer disrespect he shows in the JL comics. Like @eddgeric said: sure the punch was personally upsetting but it is a GL comic. The JL isn't Batman shouldn't have problems getting back at him. Also when it comes to Johns it's not that he hates Batman, its more like he thinks Batman is just some dude in a costume who has serious attitude problems.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By MatteoPG

@papinacho: yeah, I heard that argument before. I just don't see it all that much. Sure, he may not write him overly well, but the same could be said about other writers regarding GL and WW, which I love, but still I don't feel like he's trying to actively insult the character... what I mean is that the outrage seems a little over the top, that's all.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#128  Edited By PeppeyHare

Comic fans are just the best

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By MatteoPG
The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know they did.

Maybe it's because Hal isn't afraid of Bruce.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc said:

I didn't know they did.

Maybe it's because Hal isn't afraid of Bruce.

Neither is WW or MM or most of the heroes.....

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By LordoftheNorth

@matteopg: Than you havent read Batman Earth One if thats not a direct insult i dont know what is

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By lifeofvibe

Its either Johns has a problem with batman or hals a person who thinks batman overated

Don't care hate both

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets be honest if you meet someone like either of these guys in real life you'd think they were pricks

I know this is a VERY old post, but this made me laugh so hard.

Eddgeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Eddgeric

@conradoaccorsi: lol dont disrespect my favorite boy scout like that , and yes he peobably was holding back he wouldnt work for the government . ever. im just making a point saying that some characters outshine others in specific comic situations, and thats never gonna change like when deathstroke stabbed wally and managed to some how crush all of kyle rayners fingers with physical force, from a guy with the most powerful weapon in the universe!! it was badass, but still there was PIS

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By LordoftheNorth

@eddgeric: Well the differance between thous two moments are that Batman and Superman's fight looked like Batman actualy through everything he had at Superman playing to his skills and abilities that but it wasnt just full of Batman beating on Sups we shall Batman get injured and Batman since was wearing a suit we can give him a little room when it comes to taking punched from Superman

but Deathstroke's fight it can only labed as PIS not becuase "what" happened but "how" it happened. See before when Deathstroke fought guys like the Teen Titans he jumped around using all his skills and his abilities not only that but he actualy got injured but when he faced the JL he completely stomped them with little effort i cant even remember him getting hit once in that fight. Its the same problem with the villian N.O.W.H.E.R.E in the new titans books

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm totally pissed they made Deathstroke into a total pussy in the videogames and now canon. That guy > Batman. In terms of hand-to-hand combat, weapons, strategy, everything.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By SilverPool

I love both characters. I think maybe people don't like him because in Rebirth Hal has a punch on Batman, which probably shouldn't/couldn't have happened for obvious reasons. I don't see why people would hate Hal for it, it's Geoff Johns fault, he makes Batman into a useless dick throughout the story, who does nothing but pester Hal.

Like TDKR with Superman it's a writer making a character look bad for the benefit of another.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85:

Hand to hand - Batman has traveled the world mastering every martial art and turn his body into the penical of humanity.Deathstroke was trained by the military but Deathstrokes also enhanced abilites and with his military training can use his abilities to their fullest

Weapons - Deathstroke has standard military gear guns(which are useless since Batman dodges bullets), knives, explosives and a sword. Batman has a garpel gun, batarangs that come in many forms from explosive acid sonic etc,etc

Strategy - Batman not only has made plans to take out the whole of the JL but he also has been the leader of the most power teams in the world. Deathstroke has beaten the teen titans and had 1 PIS victory over the JL

really these two are a good match of each other so i have no problem if its written well for Batman to beat Deathstroke

if their is any thing you should be upset about it is his treatment in the new ARGUS book i mean he was beat by freaking Trevor someone Deathstroke should murderstomp

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jade1977 said:

I still don't understand why Batman fans hate Hal Jordan so much. All Hal ever did to Batman was punch him in GL: Rebirth, and Batman did the same to Hal in Green Lantern 9. The Joker crippled one of Batman's sidekicks and beat another to death with a crowbar, and I don't see people hating on the Joker. Two-Face nearly beat Dick Grayson to death with a baseball bat, and I don't see much hating on him, either.

Personally, Kyler Rayner is my favorite lantern and one of my favorite characters. Hal was a close second to him. I have a sterling silver CORPS ring. I have some trades. I've read ALL of GL vol.3 and almost the entirety of GL vol.2 including ground breaking series like Emerald Dawn and Emerald Dawn II.

I don't hate Hal Jordan. I hate Geoff Johns. He jobs Batman constantly and (IMO) wreaks havoc on the GL mythos. I know many hail him as one the premier comic book writers of the last decade, but imo he's been awful for both Batman and GL.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#142  Edited By sinestro_GL

Jeez...this topic again?

Bat-fans at their finest.

But before you go all ape-shit, yes, Batman was written like a total tool in Rebirth, but honestly, you guys need to learn how to let go of an even that happened almost 10 years ago.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeez...this topic again?

But before you go all ape-shit, yes, Batman was written like a total tool in Rebirth, but honestly, you guys need to learn how to let go of an even that happened almost 10 years ago.

This thread is more than 4 years old and possibly a Jordan fan created it.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@rustyroy said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Jeez...this topic again?

This thread is more than 4 years old and possibly a Jordan fan created it.

But the fact that it keeps resurfacing is total BS

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#145  Edited By Constantine

I love Batman and I don't hate Hal Jordan, I actually quite like him. I guess it's an opinion thing, and occasionally a petty thing.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was never a Hal fan, mostly because I thought he was kind of a ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Hal was a prick to batman in justice league origins

gettogaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By gettogaara

I didn't even know they did. If anything, Batman fans seem to hate Superman most of the time and vice versa.

Maybe it's because of how Hal acted towards Bats early in New 52 JL or maybe it's because*Raises flame shield* if Bruce ever got a ring he'd probably make a better lantern than Hal.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cuz he sux

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers