Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo Talk BATMAN #41, New Suits, and the Shocking Last Page

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

You've probably heard by now things are a bit different in the pages of BATMAN. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are taking the idea of Batman to a different place. After the events of Endgame, things didn't look too good for Bruce. But Gotham City needs a Batman.

Issue #41 is now on sale. You can read our review HERE. If you haven't read it yet, there will be some big spoilers below as the two talk about the new direction, the new "Batman," and tease what's coming up in this arc, including that crazy last page.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: When going for this new direction, was Jim Gordon always the first choice?

SCOTT SNYDER: Yes, for me, the whole idea came out of that. It wasn’t just to make a big robot-Batman. It was more a sense, if we really do Bruce in and have him go down in the way we always pictured him, fighting his greatest enemy, with the city hanging in the balance, who would step up and be Batman next? For me, I love when Dick Grayson was Batman. I had a great time writing him. I thought about Tim. I thought about who else would. I felt all those people train and get ready for that job. I’ve never seen anybody sort of thrust into the position who was an ally or fan of Batman but was also just extremely human and was not expecting it at all. The notion that Gordon gives us the chance to see what it would be like to be Batman. When you loved Batman, you love what he stands for. You’ve been there at his side, as a fan, the way we are, and as a friend. Now all of a sudden, now you’re him. Go out there and be Batman.

No Caption Provided

CV: How did the design of the armor come about?

GREG CAPULLO: Anytime we have to create anything, Scott gives me notes with what’s in his mind’s eye. It’s a matter of trying to convert that through my blender and put it through my mind’s eye to what I think works. A couple of the notes were along the lines of really really tall ears and a mecha-suit sort of along the vein of RoboCop and stuff like that. There was the jumping off point. From there, we all have our influences and stuff that we’ve seen. You just put it in your blender and see what comes out. You sketch things you think will look cool. I always go by shapes. Shapes dictate to me. I don’t want to think about much other than what it’s going to look like as a shape on the paper. Just give me a RoboCop with really really tall ears.

CV: And what about Jim’s new look? His haircut?

CAPULLO: Scott wanted a high and tight Marine-cut on Jim, which I gave him. It kind of looks like a mohawk but that’s more about the fact that his hair is receding. If I gave it Scott exactly the way he wanted, you don’t get much more than what he has. I never drew it to be a mohawk. To me, a mohawk would be a little taller. Also, I had friends in the Marines. These were two guys you didn’t want to mess around with and they sported that when they were in the Marine Corps. It’s not really something that looks funny because these guys would kill you. Maybe if I add a little bit of stubble, Scott will be happier, but you’re not really going to get the “Bruce” look from Zero Year. Scott told me some important background about the USMC. If I wast 100% sure we didn’t see Gordon without a shirt before, I’d love to give him a Marine Corp tat somewhere on his body.

CV: Is there a set list of specs on what the suit can and can’t do so all the writers are consistent?

SNYDER: Yeah, there is. There’s actually a diagram that got sent to everybody from editorial. It’s funny because I was talking to Brenden Fletcher from BATGIRL and he was like, “Can we make it fly?” I told him, no, it can’t fly. It can slow itself down from falling but I think everybody wants it to have secret compartments with all kinds of cool things they make up. Sometimes you can allow some of those things but sometimes you have to draw the line somewhere. It doesn’t have lasers and it can’t take off like Iron Man.

CAPULLO: My work around it is, I don’t care about the diagram, if someone adds something, it came after. There were some refinements. I’ll work around anything.

SNYDER: Yeah, we can add on to the diagram.

CAPULLO: But no one else can without our permission.

[laughs]

CV: Is this new Batman program sanctioned by the police department?

SNYDER: It is sanctioned by the police department but he’s also not officially a cop anymore. The idea we really want to get across in the first couple issues is Gordon believes. The reason he takes on Batman is because he wants to see if Batman can work as an extension of the system that people put in place to protect them. If Batman is subsidized by the city government, even though he’s built by a private corporation, he’s part of it. He works with the police force. He basically represents an arm that’s an extension of the law, of government, of business, of the things that Gordon has believed in his whole life in a lot of ways. He’s saying, if Batman works with checks and balances, and is almost like a public servant in this way, can he work? For me, there’s also something powerful in that. It asks, can Batman be the city itself? Can he work within the city and still help you? Or is that impossible?

No Caption Provided

CV: Could there be more than one Batman suit in operation or would that be too expensive?

SNYDER: [laughs] I don’t know, you’ll have to—

CAPULLO: Alfred! I think we’ll put Alfred in when Gordon needs a little assistance. It’ll just be missing one gauntlet.

SNYDER: He only has the one hand, dude.

CAPULLO: One gauntlet.

SNYDER: It’d be hard to operate.

CV: Who’s going to be Jim’s supporting cast? Who’s going to help him when he’s out in the field?

SNYDER: Well, I don’t want to spoil it too much but one of the things we want to do is keep some of the characters you really love from regular BATMAN and not introduce a full cast that’s new. Jim is obviously a character we’ve used a lot in BATMAN. I don’t think it’s going to feel quite as left field as people think it will, once you see him as Batman. Alfred will be in the book, characters we’ve established, without giving too much away, over a long period of time, are going to be in the book. We want it to feel almost like classic Batman but with this very very new figure at the center of it. Jim Gordon is there, in the suit that’s very new but almost like the way the story is built, the look of the city, and the supporting cast, you’re going to see a lot of familiar faces. Some surprising ones as well.

CAPULLO: I think it’s very mirrored. The new cast is very mirrored. I think it’ll be successful given the traditional original Batman flavor given to the whole thing. Scott was right and smart with the characters he put in.

SNYDER: Thank you.

CV: How many people will know the new Batman’s secret identity?

SNYDER: It’s only the people that need to know. I thought about it. What if everyone in the city knows he’s Batman? Would that work? I just felt that they wouldn’t do that because ultimately it puts everyone he loves and works with in danger. It makes it impossible for him to ever function publicly. I felt they would keep him anonymous, but there’s checks and balances and people that need to know—Maggie Sawyer, the mayor, people like that know who he is.

No Caption Provided

CV: Will we see Jim out of the armor often and in the black under suit?

SNYDER: Definitely. He sort of literally and figuratively comes out of his shell as the arc progresses. But you’ll see him in the black suit every issue. He’s Batman after all. It was fun keeping it a bit of a secret that he had another suit. I think a lot of people figured Batman would only be in the robo-suit, but we wouldn’t do that to you guys.

CV: Is it wrong that I’m suspicious of Geri Powers’ motives?

SNYDER: [laughs] I don’t know. You’ll have to keep reading. I’ll say this. I didn’t want to create someone who’s a mustache-twirling villain. Anyone except our big villain, who comes in issue #43, you’ll see him in a big way for the first time—Mr. Bloom.

The arc is one where we try hard to explore a lot of ideas about Batman. She’s not coming into it to create something bad. She does believe, wholeheartedly, in the idea that the city needs a Batman. Maybe it’s time for a Batman that restores their faith in the system. One of the things we start to talk about in issue #41 and a lot more in 42 and 43 is, historically, the city hasn’t felt safe in the way it’s been protected by the people that were elected, the police until Gordon can about and the police changed. We’re trying to explore this idea of can Batman work better if he’s part of a system of checks and balances that people put in place to protect them.

CV: Anything else you want to tell us about what sort of villains and threats can we expect?

CAPULLO: For me, this has been great fun. I’m two issues in, that are in the drawer. I just got the third script. This is a completely fresh book for me. Not only does Batman look different with the armor, there’s monster kind of villains. They’re larger than life kind of stuff, leading up to the revelation of our main enemy, Mr. Bloom. People are going to love this ride. It’s fun visually, it’s action-packed, and some of these characters, people are going to remember for a long time.

SNYDER: And I have to say one thing. [laughs] This idea, when I pitched it, it’s way out there. When you start reading it, you’ll see it’s not quite as out there as you think it is. There’s some big surprises coming about favorite characters that I think when readers are wondering what’s happened to certain people. There’ll be a lot of fun stories. The thing is, I cannot imagine this story being even feasible without the art team on this book. This is an idea, when I pitched it, I was like, I love this idea. Greg loved the idea. It was also that this was going to be really hard to make real. When the first pages came in, and I can’t spoil what’s coming, but even for the issues he just did where we reintroduce something—a key figure…

CAPULLO: Yeah, that was a lot of fun.

SNYDER: I saw it and was like, these guys, they can make anything not just real but alive and vibrant on the page. I feel like in every interview I want to thank them because they can make anything amazing. It’s really incredible, honestly. I saw pages and was like, “Oh my god! This is crazy.” But it’s so much better than I expected.

CAPULLO: Thank you, thank you.

BATMAN #41 last page. Big spoiler here. Click to enlarge.
BATMAN #41 last page. Big spoiler here. Click to enlarge.

SNYDER: I love everyone I work with but you guys, this is the best art team in the world. It’s just amazing to watch.

CAPULLO: Well thank you, from me and I’m sure the other guys too.

CV: And I thank you guys too because we’re getting some great comics here.

CAPULLO: Wait until you see this arc. It’s so much fun. It’s not hype, this could be off the record, whatever. It’s so much fun.

CV: What about that last page?

SNYDER: You’ll have to wait and see what the deal is with Bruce, if that is Bruce!

BATMAN #41 is now on sale. Check it out.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I kind of think it might be Hush

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I told him, no, it can’t fly.

No Caption Provided

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

black panther suit rip-off

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does Gordon officially know who used to be under the mask now?

I think in the last image it's Lincoln March... Maybe?

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

At the end, was that guy dropping off the suitcase or was he passing by? I was confused.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, it's Bruce. And he'll be wearing an eye patch.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThePulpMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePulpMan

This seems so wrong! SOOOOOOOOO WRONG!!!

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Golden Cod

@mrkareemruiz said:

Funny you say that because as a kid I thought that Black Panther's suit was a rip-off of Batman's.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrkareemruiz said:

Funny you say that because as a kid I thought that Black Panther's suit was a rip-off of Batman's.

Why? The only similarity is that both suits have pointed ears.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@golden_cod said:

Why? The only similarity is that both suits have pointed ears.

To my adolescent self Black Panther's outfit was what Batman would look like if you remove the cape, the belt, and give him a full face mask. It didn't help that the first comic I saw of Black Panther involved him skulking around a decayed urban area while fighting ninjas.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zz\ xXaz*ZZ#©

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Cool Beans. Can't wait to see what craziness happens next!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't mind someone is taking over for Batman if it's short term. What I do mind is the look and who is piloting the suit.

OnyxArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's not Bruce, it's Henry Cavill with a beard.

Living_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always have loved Jim Gordon. And I'm glad to see him become the main character even if it's only for a little while.

Avatar image for basterd_swordsman
basterd_swordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not a fan of this new direction. I saw scott snyder say in an interview he was going to do something never done before with batman and he does this. to me its very similar to when batman got his back broken i would have rather seen batman get superpowers than this. Scott needs to move on.

yasbinfirnas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yasbinfirnas

I can't, just can't deal with this despicable suit. I feel the plot is interesting with Jim Gordon taking over and Gotham being flipped on itself. Even the art looks interesting, but that suit is a complete put-off.

Jaymes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jaymes

@yasbinfirnas: Do Gordon's own negative sentiments about the look of the thing help at all?

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I will give it the Superior Spider treatment and watch it from afar. Not with the same amount of disdain though. Because the whole SpOck thing was morally abhorable. This ...I can see it having it's own good spot but for me...it is not Batman I wanna read with Cops.

Avatar image for xescapetheliesx
XescapetheliesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh... Comic fans and their disdain for change. Let's just keep telling the same stories over and over because that's exciting... Come on live a little fellas...

PR_1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PR_1030

So who's the Batman with the taser gun?

walkb00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here’s what it really comes down to. How do you think that we come to great storylines and great comics of today’s world? Writes need to step away from the same old. You can only write the same story so many time in so many different ways before it get boring to everyone. Now as a writing you don’t write to make everyone else happy. Sure with Batman there might be a little fanfare within, but you write what you would want to read. It’s at that point that you can and will produce the best stories that you have to offer. If you hate the idea of Gordon being Batman fine, if you want to complain about it even better. Just know that at the end of the day that’s all your doing is complaining about something that I’d bet you haven’t even taken a chance to read and try to understand and see if this is a good story or not. The fact of the matter is would be have comics such as the Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns or insert your favorite Batman ark here if it was not for writers stepping away from the regular path and write a story that was risky. Piss and moan all you like but Scott and Greg have produced some great stories and I believe that this is another. But as with all the complaints behind Zero Year and such, there is, nor will there ever be a way for a writer to write a story that everyone will love 100%. Hate it all you want, buy a copy and burn it, if you’re please, but Scott and Greg have killed it on this series and here’s to hoping they stick around for much more.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I like it! Great interview!

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@pr_1030 said:

Still Jim. He can jump out of the "robo bunny" suit.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Alexander505

Awful story. This changing is too much. Gordon is not like that, he's a cop, a normal hero, not a super-hero, it can't be so simple. You wear a power armor, and all of the sudden he become Batman? Yeah, right.

Postacrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let him be batman, because right now we have a Bat God!!

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let him be batman, because right now we have a Bat God!!

Yep, this is the only good thing right now.

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce has amnesia or he came back and wants to see if the city can do without him.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walkb00: "Hate it all you want, but it's been a great series"

Totally subjective. You're not any more correct than somebody who says it has been trash.

I've enjoyed Scott and Greg's run, but this development has left a sour taste in my mouth. I'll give it one more issue before dropping it. Gordon is a cop; at the end of the day, he disagrees with Batman's methods. He would never step into the shoes of a vigilante.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@pr_1030 said:

Still Jim. He can jump out of the "robo bunny" suit.

Yeah the mecha-bunny is more like a bipedal batmobile rather than his actual suit.

walkb00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By walkb00

#

@_mongul: Totally subjective. You're not any more correct than somebody who says it has been trash.

I've enjoyed Scott and Greg's run, but this development has left a sour taste in my mouth. I'll give it one more issue before dropping it. Gordon is a cop; at the end of the day, he disagrees with Batman's methods. He would never step into the shoes of a vigilante.

Sure its subjective from some point, but really if it hasn't been a great run why would DC have contracted these two on for 50 issues maybe more, when in other titles they have had no issues turning over writers and artist? On top of all that look at all the fuse and complaint that was put up at Zero Year.

As for how much to try I would recommend going to issue 43 since that's where the villain will be revealed Mr. Bloom.

Gordon has not stepped in the vigilante shoes as you have put it, this is an all new batman. Gordon is not part of the police force but he is working within the parameters of the law. This is what Batman would be like if her had the checks and balances of the law. As we know Gordon believes in the law and we will see how being Batman of the law will or will not work. This is a new path for the people of Gotham and let it be Bruce as a vigilante, or Gordon as a Batman of the law. This ark will be about what the symbol of the bat really means and what Gotham needs to make its people feel safe through the night.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walkb00: I suppose your favorite musical artist is Justin Bieber, since he's one of the most successful and supported in the industry right now?

Let me guess; The only title you read is Batman, right?

walkb00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul: Wrong and wrong.

I read many different titles and try out new titles all the time as they come out. But as my point was and has been is a writer can not write and make ever single person happy. I just got Sons of the devil, and so far I enjoyed it, but some one I know, thought the first issue was trash. Or take Airboy for example, the writing was great pushing the line and such, but over all I didn't enjoy the story. I might get it as a trade to see how it turns out.

The point being is if you don't like it then don't read it, but as you said you have also enjoyed Scotts and Greg's run up to this point does that mean your a Bieber fan? People love Frank Miller, I'm guessing your a fan of at least some of his work? But have you read Holy Terror? It looks like it was a rejected Batman story which Miller decided to go ahead and still make with out Batman.

New stories that push the boundaries and change things up lead to better and more interesting stories in my opinion. Sure this ark with Robo-Bat-Bunny suit might such it all up we are only a single issue in and the hate and like for it is just like for each and ever other ark in Scotts and Greg's run, so I'm in for the ride until the story disinterest me enough to take off my pull list.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walkb00: Ok.

And I'm telling you that thus far I think it's trash.

See how that works?

walkb00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul: Wow so impressive, but I don't see the point in your little last comment. You have an opinion of this ark that its trash. Hay good for you - you clearly didn't really understand what I was saying in the first place which is. let the hater hate and complain all they want, it don't really change anything. My post was never to try to change anyone's mind on if they like this ark or not because that's impossible (your opinion is your own and many may share it and many might not) and really it would be like arguing with a 4 years old. As you have proven. So thank you and have a great day.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walkb00: So what was your point?

This started when you stated "Hate it all you want, it's been a great series". Guess what? You're not the be-all end-all critic in comic books.

Just because you say it's good doesn't mean it is good. Stop making blanket statements.

walkb00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul: Yes like your self I have the right to my opinion, which you agreed by stating "I've enjoyed Scott and Greg's run" But you hate this ark ok good for you I never said anything about trying to change anyone's might I said if you want to hate it hate it. You say blanket statement I say my opinion. Just because I didn't phrase it how you think I should write my opinion doesn't make it any less my opinion. At which point have I or did I claim to be the be-all end-all critic in comic books? But this comes down to kettle meeting pot.

I never even specified my thought on this one issue since tis the first of this ark. My point was that the writing team has proven them selves even with all the hate of last arks that by the end they have a huge fan fair. But yes there are still some that hate the ark and hate Scotts work and so forth that will never change. Hate it and complain all you want or love it and give it praise all you want it will not change any of the others sides point of view. but in the long run stories like this are necessary to move on to better and greater comics and writes.

As I have just done I posted my opinion as everyone else has been from beginning to end.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walkb00: But your opinion isn't anymore right than someone who says it's terrible.

walkb00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@

@_mongul: I never said once that my opinion is correct or better than anyone else. Opinions are like @ss holes everyone has one. In a list of opinions I post mine. But with a point that its the first issue and how many other arks have we all heard the hate, now to see that the team has a grand plan in place which turns around to be a good story. still after that people hate it and people love it.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walkb00: Yes you did,

"People can hate on it but it's still a great story"

Implies everyone who thinks it's bad is wrong and only you are right.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awful story. This changing is too much. Gordon is not like that, he's a cop, a normal hero, not a super-hero, it can't be so simple. You wear a power armor, and all of the sudden he become Batman? Yeah, right.

Batman is a symbol.

Anyone can be a symbol if they choose to. What you wear as that symbol isn't that important. Terry's suit was essentially light armor, Bruce has multiple sets of armors across media, and Arkham Batman is strapped to the teeth with gear and armor. Different wrappers, but same goals. Justice. You can dish it out while wearing grey and blue, black and yellow, black and red, etc.

Dru_zod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pretty sure that's Owlman on the bench

yasbinfirnas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chayse: lol. like I said. The story is good. It does make sense for Gordon to comment about the suit. I just don't know if I'm going to get use to it. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably finish the series anyway. It is Batman man.

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best suit for Batman is the Hell Bat..

No Caption Provided

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

After finally reading 41 I got some mixed feelings. On the one hand I think its very cool and ambitious what they are trying to do here and I can definitely see it adding to the Batman mythos. At the same time... it just feels wrong. I want my Brucie back. But I realize that's just the irrational fanboy inside me so let's see how the arc develops first.