Matt Reeves in talks to direct 'The Batman'

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

‘The Batman’ Finds New Director in Matt Reeves

So after many rumors and much confusion, it seems that Matt Reeves, director of the upcoming 'War for the Planet of the Apes' is going to be The Batman's new director. Matt was reportedly WB's first choice to helm the project, and it seems the studio will get their wish after all. According to Variety, no deal has officially been made yet, but Reeves has already committed to the project.

It's worth noting that according to a previous report by Variety, the script for the movie has already been finalized, after a rewrite by Chris Terrio, and that the rumors about the script getting another complete rewrite were false.

"Reeves is currently in post production on “War for the Planet of the Apes,” which bows this July, but should have no trouble seguing into “The Batman” prep. The question now is when the film will start production. Filming was initially set to begin in May, but was already expected to be pushed back to give Affleck a break following a busy 2016 that included shoots and press tours for “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “The Accountant,” and “Live by Night.” However, given how quickly the studio found a new director, a shoot should still come by the end of 2017."

SOURCE

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly Matt Reeves is good and he has plenty of experience with CGI that makes me want someone like Clayface on the movie. You could make it fit in a movie with Deathstroke If It's a part of a bigger plan, after all Deathstroke is an strategist and Clayface capacity for impersonating people would be useful. This is just me wanting a visually interesting fight for Batman in the movie without thinking much of the plot, It could be quite unique (not saying that a fight with Deathstroke wouldn't be unique after all Batman movies really haven't got the best choreography).

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Good news for Deathstroke I believe, I think Reeves will be inclined to not only keep him but also enhance his role. Certainly he fits Reeves sensibilities more than Afflecks.

As for the script, Matt Hughes stated that it could be rewritten altogether if the new director wants it to be rewritten which is frankly a reasonable guess. Variety stated that Affleck and Emmerich are happy but it wont matter if Reeves isn't happy with it.

Either way the movie wont start filming until fall or early next year at any rate so there's a lot of time to start the story from scratch.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrArcania

@entropy_aegis: @black_arrow:

Idk why u all call Deathstroke Batman villain, he is not that !!! And if he should be in Batman movie... he should be assassin for hire and took just 20-30 mins of full movie !!! Not a main villain... just sth like guest villain !!!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drarcania: He's in a Batman film so use him properly or just remove him altogether. What you're recommending is a recipe for disaster because we've already been there with Leto Joker in SS. And lol at just 20-30 minutes. You think that's brief? Ledger had 35 in TDK and Hardy had 25-30 in Rises. If they wanted a thug for hire then KGBeast, Zeiss etc could have worked just as well. They should either go full Anti-Batman with Slade or drop him from the movie altogether. We dont want another Leto Joker mess on our hands.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DrArcania

@entropy_aegis:

Agree... lets remove him !!! Who need ''non Batman villain'' in Batman movie ???

There is a lot of Batman villains, great villains which never get to big screen... and they want bring someone on it who is not Batman villain at all !!! Many other '' Batman'' villains/enemies earn it, Deathstroke NOT !!!

____________________edited:

That movie is already disaster, no one can do nothing to save it !!!

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness:

I think we all need is one looooong pause with Batman movies... Its a lot of Batman in last years !!! Almost every years comes... games, cartons, movies... Batman need pause of 3-5 years !!!

Then u can make anything and it will be good, bcs everyone is now satisfied somehow with Batman !!! Who don't get good movie get good game, who dont get nothing of that two - get cartoon. Batman need long pause !!!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drarcania: Um what exactly are you talking about to begin with.

First you say Slade should be removed even though he's already been cast.

Then you say there are more deserving villains aka your personal entitlement which has no bearing on anything.

Then you say that the movie is a disaster because the villain you wanted isn't in it lol what?

Then you say that Batman has too many movies therefore they should stop... bro are you sure you're not trolling?

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis:

WTF ???

Yea i say Slade should be removed... Movie is not finished yet, they even don't have yet the final script, they already rewrite it few times !!! Who knows how will it end... who knows would they finish movie !!! In all that mess remove one character is nothing !!!

WTF > My personal entitlement ??? What entitlement ??? I just say '' There is a lot of Batman villains, great villains which never get to big screen... > they earn to be in Batman movie more than Deathstroke !!! What entitlement ??? Are you Slade Wilson lawyer ???

Then you say that the movie is a disaster because the villain you wanted isn't in it lol what? > I never say it... you somehow understand it... i don't know how !!!!

Then you say that Batman has too many movies > Stop using something what i don't say !!! I say:

I think we all need is one looooong pause with Batman movies... i don't say that there are too many movies...

You read really bad between the lines !!!

And yea i know... you will now attack me bcs my bad english... so what about it ??? I still learn it. And don't say - bcs i don't know it yet > i should not use him !!!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis:

WTF ???

Yea i say Slade should be removed... Movie is not finished yet, they even don't have yet the final script, they already rewrite it few times !!! Who knows how will it end... who knows would they finish movie !!! In all that mess remove one character is nothing !!!

WTF > My personal entitlement ??? What entitlement ??? I just say '' There is a lot of Batman villains, great villains which never get to big screen... > they earn to be in Batman movie more than Deathstroke !!! What entitlement ??? Are you Slade Wilson lawyer ???

Then you say that the movie is a disaster because the villain you wanted isn't in it lol what? > I never say it... you somehow understand it... i don't know how !!!!

Then you say that Batman has too many movies > Stop using something what i don't say !!! I say:

I think we all need is one looooong pause with Batman movies... i don't say that there are too many movies...

You read really bad between the lines !!!

And yea i know... you will now attack me bcs my bad english... so what about it ??? I still learn it. And don't say - bcs i don't know it yet > i should not use him !!!

He may or may not be removed,I wouldn't bet on it and it makes no difference to me either way. My loyalty is first and foremost to a good movie, doesn't matter to me if Slade is in it or not. But since he has been cast and the actor is training I believe they should do him justice. It's less about the character itself and more about taking full ownership.

No one earns anything, the studio and screen writers will decide who makes it based on story and profit calculations. Yes its entitlement because I dont think Harley Quinn deserves anything but I dont go around complaining about it.

Same thing, why do you need a pause? I dont. I want them to keep making more, every fan wants more for their character. What you said is simply idiotic and if you're so indifferent to another Batman film then why are you so invested in who "deserves" to be in the movie.

Reading between the lines? lol what are you? you think your posts have some hidden meaning in them? LOL

Never attacked your English and never would have, insecure much?

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlueHope

Well his record is surelly far better than Zack snyder and David Ayer.

Maybe it could be a good movie after all. Even though I think Batman don't need new movies in this decade(Nolan Trilogy and now Lego Batman) this could be a good opportunity to promote Slade, if this this movie get to be sucesfull maybe we can get a Deathstroke one pretty soon.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

WB still gonna interfere. Sigh

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only words I got out of the post were "Batman" and "Prep:

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

lol good luck with that.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DrArcania

@entropy_aegis:

• Deathstroke may or may not be removed, it makes no difference to me either... bcs i totally don't care about him... I don't like BvS, bcs of Afleck (and many other things)... and i give chance to suicide Squad... but he again jump in !!! Third Afleck in a row i don't have will to watch.... i will not watch that movie... bcs last two movies with Afleck was disaster and this one will be too !!!
  • Who deserve what > i don't know > but Batman movie need to have Batman villain and not guest star !!! If they want to make movie with Deathstroke... lets make Deathstroke movie then, and not Batman movie with guest stars !!! Because Deathstroke is not Batman villain... Wait why Deatstroke, why not Prometheus ??? About Harley i will not complaining too, bcs she not so interesting character for me at all.
  • A pause ??? How the hell Batman don't need pause. Look at last five years what all comes. I don't want talk about comics, comics need to come out !!! Maybe and much more than how fast they come. In last years come so much cartoons, games, even we got two Batman movies out of his possible franchise. It was Superman trilogy where Batman jump in !!! There was not any need for Batman in it !!! Superman should fight more of his enemies before they two meet !!! Suicide Squad is half Batman movie !!!
  • And am i only who say that Batman need pause.. NO !!! Many ''Batman fans'' talk here on CV that Batman need pause ??? Are we all idiots ???
  • Batman movie deserve Batman villains who was forgeted in every Batman movies till now !!! We already have three big screen Jokers !!! What about Black Mask, Great White Shark, Ventriloquist, Hugo Strange, Riddler ( have him just once eand he was prety bad), Mad Hatter... what about monster villains: Clayface, Killer Croc, Man-Bat (man how story with him can be good (people will possible believe that is Batman monster)), Anthony Romulus, Charaxes... are they that bad characters that someone who is not Batman villain have to change them in movie ???
  • LOL... i am no one matter at all, i don't have any hiden meaning, mesages in my comments/posts... i mention it just bcs u get something wrong from my post. Thats all - i still don't get have u understand some things...
  • It look like my english is not bad at all, when u can understand me :P No i am not insecure about my English. I use English almost every day here on this site, and some others... i am not concerned is it good or not, bcs i see that many people understand me very nice. I mention it bcs every second debate/arguing here on CV going with... first learn english and then start arguing !!! Mention it just bcs of that !!!

And i don't want arguing... Maybe this look like arguing, but i not argue... I think we just talking ??? Right ???

Tsukumo_Yuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tsukumo_Yuma

This solo Batman film will ether make or break the DCEU, if they can manage to mess up batman they are doomed. The fact they are changing directors and getting in another script writer to edit or even completely change the script, this does not bode well, this makes me think they either are having issues before they even really start, or that the producers are having too much say in the story.

I'm hoping it doesn't turn out a mess like BvS or turn into a bunch of nothing like the last Fantastic 4.

I want it to turn out enjoyable, and to feel like Batman jumped out of the comic pages onto the screen.

I also want it to do well so the Shazam movie actually happens, but that is another story.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's o board for atleast one film, I dont expect him to stick around for more if the films dont get the response he hopes but stop trolling. If the film doesn't excite you then simply stop posting.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excite ??? WTF ??? Whats exciting in that upcoming movie ??? Deathstroke ??? He was in one Batman game, then in second Batman game... and don't use well in any of them... they show that they don't know to use Deathstroke at proper way... What ??? I/we should be excited like >

>>> Ugh... Deathstroke is again with Batman, but now in movie... I am so EXCITED to see how will they screw him again !!! That ??? i am excited like that !!!

How i troling ???

And i have one question for you... When you heard that will Deathstroke be in Batman movie, you use his pic for your avatar ???

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it's been a while but what the hell...

‘The Batman’ Officially Signs Matt Reeves as Director

“I have loved the Batman story since I was a child,” Reeves said. “He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen.”

Sounds good to me. Also, both Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns took to Twitter to welcome Matt to the "Batcave" as Affleck called it, and many sources seems to confirm that Affleck is still committed to the Batman role and the DCEU, and that the rumors started by Collider about him possibly leaving were never true.

"Sources stressed last week that it was a priority for the studio to sign a helmer as soon as possible in order to move the pre-production forward. Reeves, Affleck, and the studio can now focus on moving the film into production and begin casting. Sources indicate that Chris Terrio turned in a script that pleased both the studio and Affleck. A release date has not been set yet for the superhero tentpole."

Seems everything has finally worked out for The Batman. Do you think Affleck and Reeves could deliver a movie on par with the Dark Knight Trilogy ? I think it's definitely possible.

SOURCE

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excite ??? WTF ??? Whats exciting in that upcoming movie ??? Deathstroke ??? He was in one Batman game, then in second Batman game... and don't use well in any of them... they show that they don't know to use Deathstroke at proper way... What ??? I/we should be excited like >

>>> Ugh... Deathstroke is again with Batman, but now in movie... I am so EXCITED to see how will they screw him again !!! That ??? i am excited like that !!!

How i troling ???

And i have one question for you... When you heard that will Deathstroke be in Batman movie, you use his pic for your avatar ???

Are you a troll?. Stop posting if you this thing doesn't excite you, my avatar is of no concern to you. You're more than welcome to criticize DCEU but what you keep saying isn't even criticism nor is any of it relevant to this thread.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DrArcania

@entropy_aegis:

WTF ??? I just post new news... about Afleck possible give up !!! Is that troling ??? I make it like laugh and its troling ??? Isn't it fun news ??? How new news about that movie are not relevant to this thread ??? WTF ???

You maybe think about my other comments, that i trolling with them ??? Its just answers on your comments... for what we already saw that u read between lines, what i really don't doing - bcs i don't know to do that and my english is already enough bad. You get me so much wrong !!! You understand somehow that i trolling... but i don't doing it. You are again in wrong.

>>>> that i trolling, i will every day comment this thread/movie in bad way. I will be really bored... and banned... and maybe thread locked !!! But i don't doing it !!!

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Batman starts from scratch, apparently.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah at this point I wouldn't get too excited for Deathstroke, which saddens me but now this means that Johns script is out, thank heavens.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: Kind of expected. WB pretty much gave Reeves full control on Batman to make it into his own thing, so it's no surprise that he would want to put something out that matches his vision and style.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

The Batman starts from scratch, apparently.

I thought that was already 100% assumed. No doubt the reason why there was drama over the negotiations with Reeves was that he wanted creative control and didn't just want to just be Affleck's proxy.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: I trust in Reeves. He promised us a detective noir-driven movie. I'm in.

The guy needs time? Give him all the time he needs, no need to rush. Expected release (rumour): 2020.

2020 rolls nice on the tongue lol.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By infantfinite128

That's good. The original movie sounded like a plot for a video game.

I love Deathstroke, but I don't think he's right for a Batman movie. I want a gritty noir film. Heck, I wouldn't mind if it was just Batman taking out no-named serial killers, sex traffickers, and My Little Pony fans that aren't little girls.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's good. The original movie sounded like a plot for a video game.

I love Deathstroke, but I don't think he's right for a Batman movie. I want a gritty noir film. Heck, I wouldn't mind if it was just Batman taking out no-named serial killers, sex traffickers, and My Little Pony fans that aren't little girls.

They should just use Deathstroke for the Nightwing movie. After all, he is more associated with Dick Grayson than he ever was with Batman. NW could be getting started in Bludhaven and Grant Wilson accidentally overdoses on his whatever drugs when fighting him then Deathstroke could come for revenge.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: Totally! And I think your idea is a better idea for a film than having Grant go after the Titans.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: Totally! And I think your idea is a better idea for a film than having Grant go after the Titans.

Yeah, I think it would be a while (if ever) that they get to a Titans movie so they should just use Slade in a Lazarus Contract-inspired story in the Nightwing movie. Dick's era was made up of a lot of sidekicks so they would need to be established in other movies first (Wally, Donna, Roy, etc.) And I don't even know if the DCEU is ready for a character like Starfire, yet. In fact, I think one of the reasons that DC authorized the Titans TV show is because they don't plan on using them for movies as they killed off the Suicide Squad on CW before the movie came out.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: cool idea.

Uhm actually, if Teen Titans, (Titans, whatever you wanna call it) tv show bombs then they'll appear on the big screen imo. Besides, Nightwing is gonna appear on both tv AND movies, so everything is possible, it seems.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: I can imagine the SJW articles all about Starfire.

I love Starfire, but I agree. Unless, they want to forgo continuity and just create a Titans movie. Personally, I'd rather they dropped this continuity stuff and just make the best films possible. If one director has a vision for a trilogy or series of movies, let them do their own thing.

However, what I want isn't good for business since most people wouldn't agree.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am disappointed that Reeves is discarding Affleck's script but in a way I am excited to see the direction he will take the movie.

What got me really excited about Reeves' ideas is that he said he is taking inspiration of Nolan's trilogy and he will take Batman's detective work even further, and he also said he would love to give a try to a trilogy of his own.

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not seeing Ben Affleck doing a Batman Trilogy. I wish he would.

I hope Reeves focusing on Batman's detective skills doesnt neglect Batman's fight scenes. The Batman beating criminals is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY .

Hope he uses villains that Nolan didnt use except Joker. Ventriloquist, Penguin,Professor Pig, Hugo Strange, Court of Owls

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Yeah, I can't wait. This guy is following the footsteps of Nolan. Apart from that, he promised a detective, "noir-driven" storyline. I say, bring it on!

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RDClip

@tdk_1997 said:

I am disappointed that Reeves is discarding Affleck's script but in a way I am excited to see the direction he will take the movie.

What got me really excited about Reeves' ideas is that he said he is taking inspiration of Nolan's trilogy and he will take Batman's detective work even further, and he also said he would love to give a try to a trilogy of his own.

There is a chance that Affleck could take the lead in a (possible) Batman sequel as I think one of the major reasons he dropped out of directing was all the crap that was going on in his personal life (divorce, falling off the wagon, all the stuff with his brother last oscars)

@daingermouz20 said:

Im not seeing Ben Affleck doing a Batman Trilogy. I wish he would.

I hope Reeves focusing on Batman's detective skills doesnt neglect Batman's fight scenes. The Batman beating criminals is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY .

Hope he uses villains that Nolan didnt use except Joker. Ventriloquist, Penguin,Professor Pig, Hugo Strange, Court of Owls

A really cerebral movie with the Court would be awesome. A movie with a scene like that issue where Batman was slowly going insane in that white underground maze would be great.

I do think The League of Assassins will show up at some point again. But, this time I hope they embrace the absurd comic book aspects of Ra's and his cult with the Lazarus pit and Damian.

I think WB will make him use the same choreographer/stunt team as BvS. Nolan had fighting, but it was all pretty terrible and shot Borne-shakey style. I'm sure Reeves understands the need for good fight scenes and action in a Batman movie.

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that fight scene in BvS at the warehouse when he goes to save Martha was absolutely spectacular and brutal. Need to have at least 2 to 3 good gight scenes in every movie.

Fight scenes imo was great in The Winter Soldier also.

AckRecky7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need that super smart detective Sherlock Holmes type **** from Batman! I neeeed it!

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ackrecky7: we're getting it! We're getting it!

Omfatdhndtgadfhafg

AckRecky7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AckRecky7

@eto: I'd pay $50 for a movie ticket if critics say this Batman film is a detective noir mystery mind ****.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: I'd pay $50 for a movie ticket if critics say this Batman film is a detective noir mystery mind ****.

lmao so trueeee.