• 57 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

AVENGERS: RAGE OF ULTRON OGN is on sale April 1, 2015.

The Good

There is something a fantastic in reading an Avengers story in the OGN format. Having an entire story told without having to worry exactly where it fits in with continuity frees you up to fully dive into the story. With the story starting out "years ago" with an earlier fight against Ultron, we get to see the Avengers (Captain America, Thor, Hank Pym as Yellowjacket, Wasp, Iron Man, Scarlet Witch, Beast, Hawkeye, and Vision) take on the threat. With art by Jerome Opeña and Pepe Larraz, the fight is given a grand feel as we see parts of Manhattan ravaged under his attack. Despite being a bit of a flashback, the battle does get the opportunity to play out, thanks to the size of the volume. If we're to believe and accept the danger Ultron brings, this is a great way to set up the main story while also taking us back to an early (and glorious) incarnation of the team. Rick Remender captures the feel and tone of the earlier days perfectly. They thought they figured out a way to defeat Ultron once and for all but, obviously, that won't be the case. Their actions come back to hit them in a way they didn't imagine.

Cut to the present, we have quite an interesting roster consisting of Captain America (Sam Wilson), Hank Pym, Wasp, Spider-Man, the new Thor, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Sabretooth. Before the this battle against an incredibly powerful new and improved version of Ultron, Remender does delve a little into the rights of artificial intelligence. It's a great debate (which we also saw in the AVENGERS A.I. series). This debate leads into what exactly is Ultron really about. Why does he do the things he does. There is a nice look at what makes him, and some of the members of the Avengers, tick. It's not just a story about superheroes smashing robotic enemies. There's some real meat to the story as well.

With this being an original graphic novel and not locked into the current timeline of comics, there is more freedom to let the story unfold in big ways. The fact that we have the new Thor on the team is a good example. It's not often we can just simply enjoy a comic story with the characters we usually follow month to month.

As mentioned, the art is pretty fantastic. You don't really see a contrast as Opeña and Larraz both handle the art. I was also surprised that the colors, which are amazing, was done by three different colorists--Dean White, Rachelle Rosenberg, and Dono Sanchez Almara. You will love the fact that this is OGN-sized since that means we get all this great art and color in one collection.

The Bad

As much as I try to completely let go of the tether of continuity, there is something big that happens and you can't help but wonder if it will ever be touched upon in the regular books and, if so, when?

It was cool seeing all the different members of the Avengers present. A fight like this would demand we see as many members here as possible. The only downside is some of the members didn't really get a chance to be fleshed out in the story.

We are getting a lot of Ultron and Avengers comics this month and this week with the soon to be released Avengers sequel. It might be too much for some but luckily I read this before everything else.

The Verdict

I have to admit, I'm becoming more and more a fan of the OGN releases from Marvel. It's a great feeling being able to read a complete comic story all contained in one collection. Rick Remender has a powerhouse creative team handling the art and colors and pulls out all the stops with a story jam-packed with Avengers. Without being locked into the continuity of the regular titles, this is a book anyone can dive into and devour. The action builds up to a crazy level and despite seeing a bit of different Ultron stories recently and currently, this one will remind you just why he is an incredibly dangerous foe for the Avengers. Get ready to sit back and enjoy an epic Avengers story. This is what an Original Graphic Novel should be like.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

LOOKS AMAZING

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So it seems to be non-canon? That could be kind of disappointing, depending on the story.

I'm not really into non-canon stuff, but I might give this a go, as it seems Hank Pym/Ultron focused.

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot recommend this book enough. That being said, I'm not sure if it fits into the continuity or if it's a seperate universe. Still, it's a brilliant story and the artwork is very nice.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

"As much as I try to completely let go of the tether of continuity, there is something big that happens and you can't help but wonder if it will ever be touched upon in the regular books and, if so, when?"

When I saw this book was announced, I had the horrible feeling that they would use it to kill off Hank Pym. I hope this isn't the something big. :/ Spoiler blocked, but I haven't read this, so nobody think I'm giving a real confirmed spoiler.

space4rentt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to pick this up!

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Wow, nice Battle Royal going on here.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can't wait!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll b picking this up.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I might pick this up.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Opena's art is always a plus with me and Remender writing does have me interested

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm reading it. Looks awesome.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot recommend this book enough. That being said, I'm not sure if it fits into the continuity or if it's a seperate universe. Still, it's a brilliant story and the artwork is very nice.

I don't think it does but it was a decent read.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art looks great, but I stopped reading this review when I saw Sam Wilson Cap and the New Thor. No matter how much I try, I just can't get interested in these characters.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks amazing, and Remender rarely disappoints.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Thor-Parker

I am definitely picking this up

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, is this supposed to be an issue from the graphic novel 'Rage of Ultron', or is this something else

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I forgot this was coming out so soon! I'll have to snag a copy.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RoboShark

Can't wait to get my fingers on it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Oh, I forgot this was a thing. Looks good!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Thinking about picking this up. Remender and Opena killed it on Uncanny X-Force.

takashi_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this looks awesome. Though i still hope for some kind of back story to the charcter deaths in the AOU comics. I mean really, noone wants to know how ultron killed Hulk? Or broke Cap's shield?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#23  Edited By Teerack

I can't wait for this. This early review got me eager for some thing I was fine with waiting for >.<

Koop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definetely picking this up. How much do OGN's usually run for?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'll be picking this up.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thoria is in this????? THEN FORGET IT.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

the new thor and scarlet witch together for the first time!!! going to be cool to see them. hope we get to see more of this team and not just in this ogn

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this a complete story or is there more to come later?

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

Falcap and Femthor killed it for me. Glad to hear it's good but I was hoping for a read with the guys I like. Oh well.

FIXER22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Opena' is my favorite. his art on X-Force made the stories so much better. I keep thinking that the ending to that arch, Final Execution would have killed it that much more if he remained on the title. That's okay. Dark Angel Saga is my favorite story in the last 10 years. I can't wait to get this.

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been waiting for this since they announced it. The best thing was forgetting about it and not hearing to much until now, which means I haven't been excitedly in wait for too long. Honestly, being excited for something and waiting for it kind of ruins things. Here's to hoping my comic shop has this in stock when I get my pull tomorrow.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Just read this book and I loved it!

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love me some Remender's. As someone else mentioned, the Dark Angel arc in X Force was amazing imo. I would really like to grab this. Unfortunately it's tough to find time to read an OGN with all your regular monthly books. I already buy books every week that I don't get to read due to time constraints. There is always 2 or 3 I don't get to. Sacrifices will have to be made.this sounds worth it though. Love a Ultron stories. And I'm really enjoying Sam as Cap. Didn't think I woukd, but he is earning the shiekd with some excellent stories imo.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed this one, its a nice change having a complete story to read. Sam Cap and New Thor being in it made it even better for me as I really like them.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden said:

Just read this book and I loved it!

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great read, I just wish they didn't include spidey. He literally just kept swinging in and carrying people over and over, pretty much forgetting he has super strength and fighting abilities. Hell, somehow Sam seems to have gained crazy stats just by wielding the shield, yet spideys only roll is to swing around and get one shotted by sabretooth. He could have been switched with literally any other avenger.

dug the story, however, and the characterizations of everyone else.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Teerack

This was brilliant. It did have some issues though.

This would have made more sense if it took place after Secret Avengers, because Hank seems to continue his planing right from there. The only issue with that being is that in Avengers A.I. Hank was the polar opposite of what he is in this book. He was the one man who stopped the death of thousands of A.I.'s and allowed them to live and prevented genocide so it seems kind of weird for his way of thinking to just completely reverse unless this is post secret wars and it's after Hank watched the Beyonders murder gods which was clearly traumatic for his mind.

After seeing Havok in Uncanny X-Men i though he was playing Cyclops with an act and was still inverted... but it seems like Janet is no longer his hostage so... did Marvel just lose interest in that plot line and they are back to normal? Though I guess i should wait for the end of Superior Iron Man before coming to that conclusion.

The way this all ended for Hank was kind of heart breaking and unbelievably terrifying. I'm a big fan of Hank Pym's and have been really scared that they were just doing to kill him off somehow to make sure all the attention is on Lang because they like to sync things up with their movies, and this was what this was in the end even if it was beautifully done. I wonder if it will ever be possible to separate Hank from Ultron now.

I thought it was weird they didn't have Odinson at the funeral. It would have also been a nice touch to have Matt Murdock there since Matt and Hank had become close in Waid's Daredevil run.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a brilliant story.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read this. Highly recommend it. It was an awesome look into what makes Ultron who he is and whether or not it is ethical to kill AI. The action wasn't bad at all either.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker:

Complete, but it does give a healthy cliffhanger too. Depending upon what the MU looks like after the War this could be revisited as a new status quo for Ultron.

Remender uses the Uncanny Avengers in this book minus 2 (and) but adds Spider-Man and Thor in their place (Rogue really could have taken the place of Thor in the issue though). Although I think that has to do with both where her storyline may be going in Uncanny, as well as the book having the Avengers proper on the cover and not Uncanny.

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: there are rumours (and I think Remender said this or alluded to it, and Brevoort did as well) that this book actually takes place AFTER Secret Wars......

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should have been the Age of Ultron event!!!

My question is which present day team of the Avengers is this? You have most of the Uncanny line-up but you also see elements from the upcoming All New All Different Avengers i.e. She-Thor and Spider-Man (were assuming its Miles on the FCBD cover).

I will go with what others have posted and assume its UA but with a mix on the team.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: there are rumours (and I think Remender said this or alluded to it, and Brevoort did as well) that this book actually takes place AFTER Secret Wars......

Yeah and it sounded like he maybe was planning on following it up. I'm guessing maybe after the High evolutionary plot he's doing in Uncanny Avengers is over.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@bigman1227 said:

Yeah and it sounded like he maybe was planning on following it up. I'm guessing maybe after the High evolutionary plot he's doing in Uncanny Avengers is over.

Do you guys think this will be the Uncanny Avengers team for the post-Secret Wars world? I liked the lineup.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Teerack

@mixmastamicah5 said:

@teerack said:

@bigman1227 said:

Do you guys think this will be the Uncanny Avengers team for the post-Secret Wars world? I liked the lineup.

I like it to, but I wonder what happened to Doctor Voodoo. It would be a huge let down of he is already going to be gone after secret wars. I really hope Starfox sticks around Remember wrote him pretty cool.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Yeah you'd think Remender would be reluctant o give up a character he has put so much effort forth with. I honestly didn't know too much about Starfox (Starlin's primetime was before my reading comics started) but I really liked how Remender handled him. I'm a huge Spider-Man mark so I'd like to see Pete on one Avengers team while Miles is on the ANAD Avengers team. I'd say there will be a few more mutants on the team as well, especially considering we don't know if Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are mutants now.

Overall I've liked Remender's run pretty well. Axis could have been a bit better but I think some editorial and art shifts hindered that one. He's used a lot of classic villains which I've enjoyed; Ultron, Kang, and Red Skull are about as good as it gets for Avengers villains. Plus he's made good new villains which are hard to come by and even made the High Evolutionary pretty vicious. I'm excited for the future take Remender has on Ultron as this story was one of the better stories I've read with the character.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am always glad when they give Pym some face time in an Avenger's story. While I loved Rage of Ultron overall, I felt Pym was way out of character. In the story, Pym wants to get rid of all Artificial Intelligence. This just seems contrived considering his long standing relationships with Vision, Jocasta, and Victor Mancha. Jocasta was his girlfriend for a period of time. It just seems that Pym would be able to distinguish the good ones from the bad ones like he could in Avenger's A.I.

Another thing that I felt was out of character were the motivations given by Remender to Pym. The story sees Pym as all consumed by his rage at his failure and self doubt. Those are part of his mythos but where is the concept of redemption in the story? Redemption has been a prominent idea with Pym for over 30 years. Without the idea that people can change there is no Scott Lang, Erik Josten, or Avengers Academy. I would argue that Pym has been driven by the idea of redemption far more over the years than rage at his failures. It has always seemed that Pym is a hero deeply changed and affected by his past mistakes rather than just living in anguish over them.