Avengers Arena: Body Count SPOILERS!!

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Matchstick

Love it or hate it Avengers Arena is happening. Looks like it's starting off with a bang. Let the carnage begin.

No Caption Provided
animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By animehunter

X-23 must and has to survive or else I'm going to get REALLY REALLY mad.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Matchstick

@animehunter said:

X-23 must and has to survive or else I'm going to get REALLY REALLY mad.

I'd say she's the one character that is totally safe. With all the no names on this title I'd say they are the likely ones to die next. Now that they've killed off one of the bigger names on the book it'll be the fan friendly deaths for awhile after this issue.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By arnoldoaad

well, thats depressing

Mettle, Hazmat and X23 are pretty much the only characters that i am remotely interested in and one just got killed off

I cant barely imagine how ppl who are fans of Runaways are going to react here, not that im not a fan, i just never read it

this idea is very poor on execution, the reason why the hunger games is popular is cause people care not about all but a couple of the characters, bringing that sense of suspense and thrill cause everyone wants the character to survive but they wont

but here, it is pretty much The Hunger Games, but without the point of view that made the HG successful, hell in the movie the game doesnt even start after the hour mark because it bothers in establishing the characters and the world they live in

here is just

OH NO THEY WILL KILL... whats his name?

look at this death for example

If you read Avengers Academy, you probably will be pissed and drop he book right here

if you didnt read Avengers Academy, why the hell will you even care about this guy?

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Matchstick

@arnoldoaad: Why would they need to have the same kind of character buildup that HG had? The characters that people care about are already established. No need to rehash what we already know.

Also I'm a big Avengers Academy fan and I'm totally fine with Mettle's death. It's not like they just threw him into a meat grinder, he died to save Hazmat. Works for me and it'll be interesting to see how that affects Hazmat in the issues to come.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Matchstick said:

@arnoldoaad: Why would they need to have the same kind of character buildup that HG had? The characters that people care about are already established. No need to rehash what we already know.

thats not establishing a character at all, I have no idea who are half of this people why the hell would i care if they die or live

the reason why HG works is because even if you didnt knew some of the characters that died you still understood their place in the setting cause they are characters that are already dead from before, it fits cause the whole idea of hope that the story tries to bring with "only one will win" and it will bring pride to the sector that wins

here, you need to accept something right now, Most of this characters are already dead and the winner/winners will gain absolutely nothing of importance

Also I'm a big Avengers Academy fan and I'm totally fine with Mettle's death. It's not like they just threw him into a meat grinder, he died to save Hazmat. Works for me and it'll be interesting to see how that affects Hazmat in the issues to come.

that didnt look like that to me, he just went down like a punk

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Matchstick

@arnoldoaad said:

@Matchstick said:

thats not establishing a character at all, I have no idea who are half of this people why the hell would i care if they die or live

the reason why HG works is because even if you didnt knew some of the characters that died you still understood their place in the setting cause they are characters that are already dead from before, it fits cause the whole idea of hope that the story tries to bring with "only one will win" and it will bring pride to the sector that wins

here, you need to accept something right now, Most of this characters are already dead and the winner/winners will gain absolutely nothing of importance

that didnt look like that to me, he just went down like a punk

Did you read the issue? Arcade was going to kill Hazmat until Mettle volunteered to take her place.

Why would they need to reestablish the characters that have already been established in the Marvel U? Mettle, Reptil and Hazmat were established in Avengers Academy. Nico and Chase were established in Runaways. Etc. etc. The only characters not previously established are the brand new ones, and just like in HG, those are the ones we don't really care about because they are not the ones the fans are suppose to root for.

I'm not going to comment on the rest because we have no idea how the story will pan out. You don't know that the winner will gain nothing. You don't know what the deaths will add to the story. It's a flawed comparison to compare the complete story of the HG to Avengers Arena when we only have 1 issue to work from.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#8  Edited By MatKrenz

So are gonna post all the deaths on this forum as the series goes on ?

Vincent92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vincent92

@Matchstick: not many of us have, where i am at it is only monday night so we still have to wait another day to pick up, how you get the issue so early?

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Matchstick

@MatKrenz said:

So are gonna post all the deaths on this forum as the series goes on ?

That's the plan. Sorry if I came off as a jerk at any point in this, there is another user that's pitching a fit about the series that is just royally irritating me. lol

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Matchstick said:

@arnoldoaad said:

Did you read the issue? Arcade was going to kill Hazmat until Mettle volunteered to take her place.

Im just judging by that single panel, it still feels like a meaningless death, specially if Hazmat ends up dieing eventually

Why would they need to reestablish the characters that have already been established in the Marvel U? Mettle, Reptil and Hazmat were established in Avengers Academy. Nico and Chase were established in Runaways. Etc. etc.

not an excuse

every comic like this, with this kind of premise of "Lets kill'em all" Must stablish their characters, like i said, i have no idea who half this people are

The only characters not previously established are the brand new ones, and just like in HG, those are the ones we don't really care about because they are not the ones the fans are suppose to root for.

but they had a purpose, every time one of them died it was establishing that the Game was closer and closer to end

its not going to work here if they try to do the same with a character already established in another comic just for cannon fodder

I'm not going to comment on the rest because we have no idea how the story will pan out. You don't know that the winner will gain nothing. You don't know what the deaths will add to the story. It's a flawed comparison to compare the complete story of the HG to Avengers Arena when we only have 1 issue to work from.

thats a good point but im only judging the "the winner wins nothing" by its sole premise

There was actually a point in winning the Hunger Games from the actual set up

the winner of this, lives, what else is going to happen

though here is a very wild guess, if there is a single winner, whoever that is might get an ongoing after this is over

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Matchstick

@Vincent92 said:

@Matchstick: not many of us have, where i am at it is only monday night so we still have to wait another day to pick up, how you get the issue so early?

My brother owns a comic shop and gets preview issues.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I guess this is Marvel's way of "cleaning house" with their teenage characters...seems like a bit of a waste.

TheReaper111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheReaper111

when people like daken or Xavier die you know they'll be back within a couple days but mettle is probably gone for good, at least in fear itself it seemed like he was going to die alongside hazmat in a final stand against the hammer guys..

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Matchstick

@arnoldoaad: fair enough, I see what you're saying.

@TheReaper111 said:

when people like daken or Xavier die you know they'll be back within a couple days but mettle is probably gone for good, at least in fear itself it seemed like he was going to die alongside hazmat in a final stand against the hammer guys..

Ya never know, they've brought back weirder characters.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheCowman

So, straight outta the gate, one of my favorite characters from Avengers Academy. This seems to be just my luck. They killed Gert in Runaways too, and she was fast becoming my favorite Marvel character, period.

Guess it'll give the surviving characters something to brood over. "Death of a loved one" seems a pretty cliché, boring way to give a story weight, but whatever. I suppose if you can't come up with something better, the easy way out is your only option.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By SUNMAN

yeah no surprise here. Characters introduced post 80's don't have long lifespans. There are a few exceptions for obvious reasons like DarkHawk, but we should all expect the vast majority of these characters to die. Hope none of you got to attached to the Avengers Academy kids, frankly I'm surprised they survived the last book.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By dernman
@SUNMAN said:

yeah no surprise here. Characters introduced post 80's don't have long lifespans. There are a few exceptions for obvious reasons like DarkHawk, but we should all expect the vast majority of these characters to die. Hope none of you got to attached to the Avengers Academy kids, frankly I'm surprised they survived the last book.

There is a theory floating around that DH will eventually die and Chase will take his place.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By dernman

I'll be honest there is a boat load of then characters that I would love to kill off. Most of them are not in the book and some of the ones I want to save are in it. 

I think it was dumb to bring DH here. He finally had a good story line in the cosmic universe only to be brought here. Not much of a fan of his but I still think it's dumb. 
Guess I have to get use to them killing of the teen characters I like. It already started with Stature and brought back her boring father. :/

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SUNMAN

@Dernman said:

@SUNMAN said:

There is a theory floating around that DH will eventually die and Chase will take his place.
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Skaddix

Haha I knew those interviews claiming depth were hogwash.

I mean seriously Hopeless does not even try. The Black Guy Dies first is a classic trope. Looks like this series will go for everything obvious.

Also seriosuly how does a character like Alpha who is pretty universally disliked get rewarded with a mini instead of being first in line to get murdered.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Skaddix said:

I mean seriously Hopeless does not even try. The Black Guy Dies first is a classic trope. Looks like this series will go for everything obvious.

Also seriosuly how does a character like Alpha who is pretty universally disliked get rewarded with a mini instead of being first in line to get murdered.

Omg you are right, Alpha should totally be here

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Loki9876

is that arcade

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Loki9876 said:

is that arcade

yeah, thats arcade

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Loki9876

@arnoldoaad: waw he looks badass but I'm kinda sad Mettle died.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Skaddix

I will dub Arcade Hood 2.0

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jesusdisciple001

YOU DO NOT KILL METTLE SUPER NERD FANBOY RAGE, AARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Matchstick

@Skaddix said:

Again, Mettle is Hawaiian. Have you read the issue? Mettle died to save Hazmat. So he at least tried at some depth, lol.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Umbraa

@Matchstick said:

@Skaddix said:

Again, Mettle is Hawaiian. Have you read the issue? Mettle died to save Hazmat. So he at least tried at some depth, lol.

He's Black, he is also Hawaiian. He is also half Jewish (and Black). So I'm not sure why you are saying "Again, mettle is Hawaiian"...as if being black excludes you from also being Hawaiian? Does it?

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By EdBlank

^^^ Ask Barry O

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Umbraa

@EdBlank said:

^^^ Ask Barry O

That's the point. lol. Plus Gage said he was part black.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Skaddix

@Matchstick said:

@Skaddix said:

lol i hardly consider that trying not to mention did darkhawk even use his big guns? did nico even cast a spell? lol yeah they tried

Sifighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33  Edited By Sifighter

I have to admit that Dennis Hopeless is pretty bold making a title like this, Dan Slott switched Spidermans brain with Doc Ocks and the Internet yelled at him, Hopeless is going to kill alot of characters and make alot of people very unhappy, but on the bright side this seems like it will be one of my favorite new comics, being suspenseful of who get killed next.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Mettle deserves to die for being a poorly designed monstrosity. That'll teach you to cancel Initiative for that Avenger Academy bullsh#t. Now your stuck with Marvel's version of Battle Royal.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Mercy_

If X males it through, I'll be okay. Still hate the premise.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Mercy_

Makes

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#37  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

this book sucks balls

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Matchstick

@Umbraa said:

@Matchstick said:

@Skaddix said:

He's Black, he is also Hawaiian. He is also half Jewish (and Black). So I'm not sure why you are saying "Again, mettle is Hawaiian"...as if being black excludes you from also being Hawaiian? Does it?

Ah, my bad then. I thought he was a native Hawaiin, which is different then a black guy that lives in Hawaii.

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Tyrannotaur

@Matchstick said:

I agree.I started reading Avengers Academy from Issue 23, and became a fan of Mettle since then. Mettle went out like a true hero to save Hazmat. Shame he had to die, but it was a hero's death.

The only thing I don't really get is how Arcade expects killing him is going to make the kids want to kill each other? Is it like a show of force to scare them into killing each other or something? Also speaking of Arcade, did he get a power boost or something? I didn't know he could do half the stuff he did in this issue.

I overall enjoyed the issue. I'm not too crazy about the premise, but its nothing new, Suicide Squad does something similar. I'm pretty sure X-23 will survive until at least "Day 29" as she was still alive and fighting Hazmat then. I would like to see some build up for X-23 to go back to being a killer again, especially since she swore not to be used like that again.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Matchstick

@Tyrannotaur said:

@Matchstick said:

I agree.I started reading Avengers Academy from Issue 23, and became a fan of Mettle since then. Mettle went out like a true hero to save Hazmat. Shame he had to die, but it was a hero's death.

The only thing I don't really get is how Arcade expects killing him is going to make the kids want to kill each other? Is it like a show of force to scare them into killing each other or something? Also speaking of Arcade, did he get a power boost or something? I didn't know he could do half the stuff he did in this issue.

I overall enjoyed the issue. I'm not too crazy about the premise, but its nothing new, Suicide Squad does something similar. I'm pretty sure X-23 will survive until at least "Day 29" as she was still alive and fighting Hazmat then. I would like to see some build up for X-23 to go back to being a killer again, especially since she swore not to be used like that again.

Yeah I don't understand where Arcade's new abilities came from either. There is a theory going around that Avengers Arena is a simulation, which is the only thing that would currently explain where his new powers are coming from.

I agree about Mettle. I don't see how killing him is going to do anything but piss off the rest of the heroes and unite them against him. I think it was more for the reader just to up the stakes of the series right off the bat.

It was a pretty enjoyable issue considering it was mostly a setup issue. It's not the best premise out there, but at least there is an interesting mix of characters being used. I'm curious to see how Darkhawk and Cammi play out here as well as X-23. Seems pretty odd that she's hunting Hazmat in this issue, there needs to be some explaination for how she got to that point.

Lightburst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lightburst

@Matchstick: Remember at the start of the issue Hazmat was talking about how she was Quick to judge things/people.

I think thats a hint at what triggered X to want to kill her, but im confused why X would kill anyone she was friends with unless they used her to do something she didn't want.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Umbraa

@Matchstick said:

@Umbraa said:

@Matchstick said:

@Skaddix said:

Ah, my bad then. I thought he was a native Hawaiin, which is different then a black guy that lives in Hawaii.

Mom is jewish, his dad is African American (with Dreads like him).

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Tyrannotaur

@Matchstick said:

@Tyrannotaur said:

@Matchstick said:

Yeah I don't understand where Arcade's new abilities came from either. There is a theory going around that Avengers Arena is a simulation, which is the only thing that would currently explain where his new powers are coming from.

I agree about Mettle. I don't see how killing him is going to do anything but piss off the rest of the heroes and unite them against him. I think it was more for the reader just to up the stakes of the series right off the bat.

It was a pretty enjoyable issue considering it was mostly a setup issue. It's not the best premise out there, but at least there is an interesting mix of characters being used. I'm curious to see how Darkhawk and Cammi play out here as well as X-23. Seems pretty odd that she's hunting Hazmat in this issue, there needs to be some explaination for how she got to that point.

Yeah, The simulation theory would be cool. It would at least put alot of fans fears to rest, lol. Although it could be one of those "You die in the virtual reality, you die in real life" kinda things, so the characters like Mettle could still be dead. I guess we will have to see.

And yeah I hope we get more insight into what drives them all to "play along" with Arcade's game.

@Lightburst said:

@Matchstick: Remember at the start of the issue Hazmat was talking about how she was Quick to judge things/people.

I think thats a hint at what triggered X to want to kill her, but im confused why X would kill anyone she was friends with unless they used her to do something she didn't want.

I was thinking that Arcade maybe used the Trigger Scent to make X kill again. I don't think she ever overcame that.

Lightburst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lightburst

@Tyrannotaur: I don't think Arcade would use Trigger, I think he wants them to remember what they do to each other forever so Trigger would work against it. Also Laura's eyes turn blood red when shes under the effects of Trigger unless the editor dropped the ball and forgot they do.

CBninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CBninja

When I first saw X-23 in this my initial thought was " well there is the winner". Seriously if your one of the other kids X-23 is your greatest challenge.

Lightburst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lightburst

@CBninja: I thought the same thing lol how would children kill someone with a healing factor unless they themselves have healing factor and knows its weakness.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

@arnoldoaad said:

@Skaddix said:

Omg you are right, Alpha should totally be here

Oh my god. I hope he gets killed in the most horrible way. Alpha is probably one of the few fictional characters I know that pisses me off.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#48  Edited By Teerack

Marvel really wasted no time at all ruining the Academy Avengers. :\ Even if some of the character i like manage to get thought this there going to be ruined.

Reptile - He'll be a killer

Hazmat - even more emo

X-23 - basically all of her progress with not wanting to be a killer will be for nothing

Darkhawk - will probably die because Marvel stopped caring about him and Quasar after Nova died.

Aarimichii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Aarimichii

Just read it. And I don't even know how to feel about this book. They tried to pull a Sons of Anarchy move. Honestly, I'm fine as long as Reptil doesn't die.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Loki9876

@Aarimichii: what is a sons of anarchy move, don't mind spoiling