Avengers Ladies

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

We all know that Wonder Woman, will always be the most important woman in the Justice League, but who is the most important woman in the Avengers? Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Wasp ? I dunno, opinions please.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

They're all pretty equal to me. My favourite is Ms Marvel!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Wasp, followed by Ms Marvel of She-Hulk, I think.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

It's kind of a tricky choice between Wasp and Captain Marvel(Carol) for me. Wasp was a founding member who named the team, and has been the leader. Captain Marvel joined considerably later, but is more powerful, and has had more solo adventures.

I like Scarlet Witch, and obviously she has great power, and has been important in certain storylines, but I'm not sure if she would qualify as the most important woman on the team. Black Widow doesn't seem that important.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

We all know that Wonder Woman, will always be the most important woman in the Justice League, but who is the most important woman in the Avengers? Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Wasp ? I dunno, opinions please.

I think it's a little different with the Avengers, just because they've always had female members. Just by having Scarlet Witch and Wasp on the same team in the 60's made them the first team to have 1/3 of their membership be women, and I feel like that alone has remained more constant with the Avengers.

The closest analogues they have to Wonder Woman would be Power Princess or Valkyrie, neither of whom are very important to the Avengers the way she is to the 'League.

Personally, I would consider Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, She-Hulk, and Captain Marvel to be in the same league as Cap', Iron-man, Hawkeye, Hank Pym, or the Vision, but there's very few female characters at DC that I would put in the same league as Superman or Batman, Green Lantern, or Flash, y'know?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By PeppeyHare

I agree with this.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 vance_astro  Moderator

Personally, I would consider Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, She-Hulk, and Captain Marvel to be in the same league as Cap', Iron-man, Hawkeye, Hank Pym, or the Vision, but there's very few female characters at DC that I would put in the same league as Superman or Batman, Green Lantern, or Flash, y'know?

I disagree with this. As much as I love Black Widow, She-Hulk , & Carol Danvers..they aren't as important to the Avengers as most male characters. I agree with you on the part about DC females not being in the same league as their most popular male characters (Accept Wonder Woman, of course) but I think it's the same all the way around.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

I disagree with this. As much as I love Black Widow, She-Hulk , & Carol Danvers..they aren't as important to the Avengers as most male characters. I agree with you on the part about DC females not being in the same league as their most popular male characters (Accept Wonder Woman, of course) but I think it's the same all the way around.

I see what you mean, I guess I don't really feel like any of those three would be as central to the Avengers as Wonder Woman is to the 'League. But I would put any of them at the same level as, say, Black Canary, which gets at my original point of the Avengers just having way more classic female members.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@oldnightcrawler said:

I see what you mean, I guess I don't really feel like any of those three would be as central to the Avengers as Wonder Woman is to the 'League. But I would put any of them at the same level as, say, Black Canary, which gets at my original point of the Avengers just having way more classic female members.

Ms.Marvel could be that Wonder Woman figure but Marvel has to build her up to that. They really aren't trying. They don't give their female characters the proper time and exposure it takes for success and then they flip-flop which female character is going to be the most important, yearly.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd say Wasp is the "most important" female on the Avengers, because she's a founder. Scarlet Witch, Tigra, Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, and She-Hulk are probably next as far as how long they have been members.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ms.Marvel could be that Wonder Woman figure but Marvel has to build her up to that. They really aren't trying. They don't give their female characters the proper time and exposure it takes for success and then they flip-flop which female character is going to be the most important, yearly.

yeah, that's a good point, but I still think that's kind of better than only having one or two female characters of any real significance (like the JLA, the JSA, the FF, etc).

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vance_astro  Moderator

@oldnightcrawler said:

yeah, that's a good point, but I still think that's kind of better than only having one or two female characters of any real significance (like the JLA, the JSA, the FF, etc).

Yea, but the Avengers don't really even have one while most teams do. Fantastic Four has Invisible Woman, The X-Men have Jean Grey & Storm, The Heroes for Hire have Misty Knight & Collen Wing, The Guardians of the Galaxy have Gamora, but the Avengers don't really have one leading lady that stands out or that when you see them you directly associate them with the Avengers. With that team it's someone new every year. I mean The Wasp has been a part of alot of great Avengers stories...Black Widow is the first one that makes the film? Black Widow? When we are talking about the Avengers..Black Widow is ridiculously insignificant to that team.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Carol and Janet definitely the two most important. However Tigra, Mockingbird and Jocasta are more important to me.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By HumanRocket

Ms/Captain Marvel has had the potential to be a big figure in the Avengers but the way the Avengers have been since the beginning is that the team is always changing. I wouldn't be surprised if Carol was not in the team in a few months because that's just the nature of the Avengers.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GrenadeFlow

Wasp will always be the #1 Female Avenger shit she might even be the #1 Avenger period

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Personally I feel that Ms. Marvel has the most potential as Marvel's top female character.

No Caption Provided

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: The thing is, in a way, no character can ever really be the Wonder Woman of the Avengers.

Wonder Woman is not only one of the "big three" (along with Superman and Batman) of the JLA, but also of DC, and by extension the history of superhero comics in general.

The Avengers "big three" will always be Cap, Iron-man, and Thor, and that's basically just as immutable as DC's big three; you can superficially put someone else up there with them, but it will always be an addendum. Marvel's just never had a female character that's both as singular and as consistently popular as Wonder Woman.

To their credit, that historically hasn't stopped them from trying: Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk, Storm, Rogue, Kitty Pryde and several others have all been given multiple chances at carrying their own solo titles, and have all played especially prominent roles in Marvel's most popular team books.

So while there may not be a Wonder Woman of the Avengers/Marvel, it still seems like Marvel has established far more iconic female heroes than DC over the last 50 years.

Simply put, Thor is the Wonder Woman of the Avengers.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I see your point, but I disagree about Marvel having more iconic females. Nobody you listed save for Storm is comparable to Batgirl, Supergirl or even Black Canary. As to my question I was not referring to overall importance to the Marvel Universe because obviously nobody could match WW, but simply who was the most important member of their team.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@papinacho said:

@oldnightcrawler: I see your point, but I disagree about Marvel having more iconic females. Nobody you listed save for Storm is comparable to Batgirl, Supergirl or even Black Canary. As to my question I was not referring to overall importance to the Marvel Universe because obviously nobody could match WW, but simply who was the most important member of their team.

ohhh..

for female members? the Wasp.

Actually, I have to kind of disagree with you about iconic female characters, though. While Bat-girl and Super-girl are iconic, they are mostly only well known because of their male counterparts; while you could say that the same applies to She-Hulk and Spider-woman, the X-men have been consistently better sellers (than any book with Super-girl or Bat-girl) for at least the last 30 years, and have been featured in far more media.

To my mind, that would make any classic X-men character more iconic than Super-girl or Bat-girl. Though I suppose it depends on your definition.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

Marvel is structured differently then DC in the way their females are treated. There is more of a balance with their male counterparts I think, and there is certainly not the huge gap in the pecking order of the ladies.

All of the Avenger ladies have their roles, as is with the Wasp being a founding member, former chairperson, she holds a very high level of distinction in the group . The Scarlet Witch seems to fill the role of being the heart and soul of the team, as they have fought for her like no one else over the years. Wanda just seems to evokes that "She is one of ours" emotion like no other in the team. She Hulk just lights up the room when she is around with her free spirit and confidence, but it is also heart and dependability that makes her a great Avenger. Black Widow's profile has clearly been elevated due to the movies, but she has always been a mainstay to the group for decades. Although she doesn't always seem to use all her skills within the Avenger books, there has always been a spot for her if she chooses to take it.

But if I had to give the title to the top female Avenger I would have to name Captain Marvel. Carol as Captain Marvel is a much more rounded and confident Avenger then her stint as Warbird or even Ms Marvel. The fact she is co-leader with Captain America shows how far she has come but also that she is able to stand on her own as a character and not defer to Steve but is his equal in the group.

No Caption Provided

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: The thing about DC is that they have legacy; so yes that they are known because Batman and Superman are known but that doesn't mean they aren't their own characters. Also, they are both much more known than She-hulk or Spider-woman. I mean if you measure iconicness by who is more well known they win, if you measure it by the sales of ongoings or length of ongoings they win. To say otherwise would be akin to stating that Robin and Nightwing aren't more iconic than almost any Marvel characters simply because they where introduced in Batman.

PAAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarlet Witch is the heart of the Avengers. She is my favorite female Avenger.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: yeah, well, like I say, it depends on what one means by iconic, as it's a quality that could be defined or measured in different ways.

To use your example, I would agree that Robin is more iconic than most marvel characters, but I wouldn't say that Nightwing is, even if we're talking about the same guy, insofar as you could argue that Robin is more iconic than, say, Spider-man, but Spider-man is more iconic than Nightwing.

That Dick Grayson is part of Batman's mythos does not in itself make him more iconic, because most people don't know most of that mythos. Take Azrael, for example: certainly a relevant character in Batman's mythos, he even was Batman, but that doesn't make him more iconic than Spider-man. See what I mean?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think the main/top three are Captain Marvel, Wasp and Scarlet Witch. My favorite is Captain Marvel

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By PowerHerc

The Scarlet Witch.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ms... ahem

Captain! Marvel, is definitely Marvel's # 1 Female hero.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact of the DC universe being inter connected help's as well the avengers being a stand alone title (most of the time) means we hardly ever see cross over with the other hero groups in the marvel U such as the FF and the X men.

So we hardly ever see the avengers ladies fighting alongside sue or the X ladies. Which means we never see really big feats out of them.

OT wasp and carol would be my choice for top billing.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Maddpanda531

Wolver--...ahem, I mean Captain Marvel. Especially since she took the "Captain Marvel" name. She's gained quite the following.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarlet witch and Captain Marvel...

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By waezi2

Wasp an Scarlet Witch. They have bout been on the team almost from the start and they have bout been leaders of the Avengers.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#34  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Currently Captain Marvel is pretty much the co-leader of the Avengers

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know if you guys seen the Avenger: EMH episode "Assault on 42," but the level of authority Miss Marvel commanded was extraordinary, it honestly felt that she was the team leader over Cap in that ep. Ever since Miss Marvel transition to Captain Marvel i do believe that Carol deserves to be in the same ranks as Wonder Woman. I think the Carol does more for the women comic book audience on how she's represented than Wonder Woman does. She as strong female lead who is actually appropriately dressed to be taken serious. Honestly i liking some of Marvel redesigns to some female characters with some questionable attire ie Psylocke .