claytonbarton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By claytonbarton

No Caption Provided

Presenting Boroark the Brute, in his raw, Orc slaughtering glory.

I tasked myself with the deceivingly simple challenge to keep it simple this time around. Don’t go overboard on the characters and background details I said. Resist the urge to tinker away at the intricacies so that you can keep the Comic craftery swift and timely.

Clearly that didn’t happen. It never does. I don’t know why I bother. But as always, it was completely worth it. Besides, I feel I adequately nailed this sucker in a reasonable time span despite my appetite for copious amounts of detail and rendering.

All in all, Boarork the Brute took about 25 hours to complete, give or take. Split up, that’s about 2-3 days of solid draw time.

There’s a few things in this piece that really received a good dose of tender love and care.

Firstly was the lighting, and how I used it to strategically create a readable composition using contrast. Character placement and the various set pieces surrounding them also chipped in on the compositional front, as one element framed or complimented the next.

Secondly, I wanted a sense of movement in the character poses. Boarork needed to have extreme power in his gesture, and though the Orcs all lost their heads as a result, I still wanted them to have a jig in their step (before they hit the ground).

Lastly anatomy and proportions were a big deal for me here. These are both easy to let slip if you get all blasé about it. What did I discover here? Back anatomy is strange… very strange. But in the end I’m rather pleased with the turn out here.

Oh and of course the background was an epic challenge to sink my teeth into aswell. Rendering rocks and cliff faces always requires an interesting course of action when it comes to achieving that classic Comic Art aesthetic. For this I referred frequently to the art work of David Finch and Marc Silvestri, learning by example.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Flumox56

That is just amazing, If I bought a comic with you as the artist I would have absolutely no complaints.