blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The subject for Artist Show-Off Showdown #146 is... 90's X-Men

No Caption Provided

Blue Team and Gold Team! That awesome theme music from the cartoon! The pouches!

In the 90's, The X-Men were at the peak of their popularity. The best artists and writers of the time flocked to any book branded with an 'X'. A sales juggernaut (no pun intended) for the industry, the X-Men comics of the 90's also fueled toys, video game, and other merchandising sales with staggering success.

So here's the challenge:Draw any number of X-Men. It can be 5, 10, 20... draw as many or few as you'd like! It can be a dynamic team pose or draw the team fighting the likes of Magneto or another villain. Just draw whatever you want... BUT... remember that this is quintessential 90's X-Men. Nothing prior or beyond this classic era in Marvel's Merry Mutant's history.

Best of luck to everyone an I cannot wait to see the results!

DEADLINE: JULY 19TH(that gives you folks a whole month to crank out some amazing work!)

blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod Would you be so kind as to pin this for me? Much appreciated and I can't wait to see what you add to this my friend!

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

oh sweet jesus...this should be pretty popular. great Choice

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4 shatterstar  Moderator

#makexmengreatagain

blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad - Dude, this is an awesome piece! The colors are great and for not having drawn seriously in a year you knocked this out of the park. And on a side note I'm really glad this pulled in your interest!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blancosombra: Hey thanks man. I've seen your works and to read that coming from you, it's an honor. Still hope to be on par with you and a lot of high quality artists here in the vine some day. Seems like the talent pool here skyrocketed during my absence and I am in need of a great ton of improvement to catch up. Again, thanks. Oh and really really awesome contest. Hope to see the eye candies the others come up with.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad: Welcome back. That piece looks amazing. I think you're assessment of the anatomy being off is, well, just plain wrong. I blew up the piece, I looked at each figure. I can't see any problems at all even when I'm specifically looking for one.

Great work friend. :)

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great start!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZZoMBiE13: Haha! I know why you don't see the wrong parts. I think you are a fan of Liefeld as well. Nyahahahahahahaha! Anyway, thanks buddy. Good to be back.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gunmetalgrey

Decided to go with a classic encounter.

I haven't used watercolor in probably over a decade so I took this opportunity to relearn and experiment a bit. I got impatient/carried away with the "fog" at the end. :P

No Caption Provided
blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunmetalgrey - I think your experimenting paid off... great job!

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZZoMBiE13: Haha! I know why you don't see the wrong parts. I think you are a fan of Liefeld as well. Nyahahahahahahaha! Anyway, thanks buddy. Good to be back.

Calling me a Liefeld fan? I'm pretty sure I can bring a libel suit against you for that!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad:

As tempting as this contest is I was going to skip it because I have a huge project I'm in the beginning stages of.

When I saw you came out of retirement I had to join. Just like old times. This doesn't happen very much so I had to capitalize before you go back into retirement like Manny has. Before it was video games, now its the Family and oh yeah, Duarte. :p

BTW you haven't lost your touch very nice work man. More polished and well done on the figures and composition!

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final version

No Caption Provided

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I needed to edit my work. The work of ramsillustrations is just so good, I had to improve mine just so it can stand a chance. >:D

Ok fine it hasn't been improved that much. I just wanted to add some other characters. :D

No Caption Provided

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad: As far as proportions go, most of them really aren't too bad (especially if you haven't drawn anything in three years), there are a few anatomical and fore shortening problems (mainly on Beast, Cable, and Wolverine). Gambit (even though I hate the character) looks very strong, good anatomy, proportion, very fluid and dynamic. I like how you altered (and improved) Storm in the second piece. Jubilee as a strong well proportioned look and dynamic look to her., as does Cyclops (though his right arm is sort of disconnected from his shoulder seemingly). Angel is strong anatomically, and his proportions are right. Psylocke is a little hard to see on my screen (or it's just that I have old eyes), but she looks anatomically correct...to me she looks a little static..but that pose might be what you were going for and we just have different tastes in this regard.

All in all I think it's a good piece, ESPECIALLY after years of not doing ANY artwork. Takes a little time to sand the rust off, but it'll come off. Again, Gambit looks REALLY good. Don't be so hard on yourself.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HeroUp2112

Decided to go with a classic encounter.

I haven't used watercolor in probably over a decade so I took this opportunity to relearn and experiment a bit. I got impatient/carried away with the "fog" at the end. :P

No Caption Provided

Watercolor? You've got more guts than me!

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The 1990s XMen

Not as great as the first 3 entries...but here is my pure pencil art work of my faved comic book team.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Thank you! Now that's constructive criticism. Your insights can surely help me find ways to fix my weaknesses.

@ramsillustrations: And you're kicking mine. Haha! I am glad that I can be motivated to try to improve myself in order to catch up to you. :D

@iceprince_x: Wow! Not as good as other entries? You're too modest. Put some inks in there and I'm honestly seeing collectible card or poster material there. I so wish I could do proper anatomies like you guys.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EGoD  Moderator
No Caption Provided

This contest has been so hard to complete, I have 4 different designs on paper since I keep thinking up something else as I'm working on one. Gonna post one that is completed right now, I may change my entry if I manage to finish one of the other concepts.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ssejllenrad

@egod: Wow! Damn good concept and execution there. Love it!

raamesirote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By raamesirote
No Caption Provided

blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some great submissions! Just a reminder... less than 1 week to put on those finishing details, polish the adamantium claws, post your uncanny entry!

dhiars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dhiars
No Caption Provided

Here's my entry. Fastball Special!

blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Today's the day... if you have an entry, please add it by the end of the day!

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voting contest going up shortly. Sorry for the delay!

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IcePrince_X

@robert_erdody thanks

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers