inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Arkham Asylum has been destroyed and the Mayor needs a new place to house Gotham's worst nutcases, so the mayor uses eminent domain to turn Wayne Manor into the new Arkham Asylum. Very quickly, there's a few murders and Batman needs to go undercover to solve this puzzle.

Yes, this comes off like another Batman book, but the concept and story are incredibly interesting, and while it comes off as a little far-fetched, it's fun, in a grim and mildly-depressing way. Writer Gerry Duggan has a way of breathing fun and entertainment into stories that, on the surface, should not be a "blast to read." The story is just as much about something being taken from Bruce & Alfred and losing control as it is about the infrastructure of Gotham. It's a great mix of story telling, and who doesn't love seeing Bruce Wayne go undercover to solve some crimes?

There's lots of little things in this issue that I really hope Duggan revisits in future issues, such as how citizens of Gotham are reacting to this change and how some have been waiting years for a new hospital, school, or low-income housing. It's a brief moment in this opening issue, but for some reason, I find myself drawn to the idea that a book that deals with Gotham politics could be incredibly interesting. I must be getting older because the 18 year old version of me wouldn't care less about this.

The first issue, as you might expect, is nothing but set-up. However, it's paced incredibly well and it's a pretty quick read. There are times where a fast read can be a turn off to readers, but with the opening of a series, it cannot drag on because it will lose the interest of the readers. It's a lot of information to be thrown at someone picking up this book, but it's done in a way where you feel like you're along for the ride and not just being lectured for 20 pages.

The art of Shawn Crystal and the colors of Dave McCaig give this issue a fun but dark look for this new series. It has a very "Halloween" feeling to it, which is obviously perfect for the month it debuts in. It's the grit and tone you love about most Batman books with a light-hearted edge to it. It's a combination that sounds like it wouldn't work, but the art really gives ARKHAM MANOR a great identity.

The Bad

Conceptually, it's an interesting idea, but the way they get to this point is silly. Arkham Asylum is gone and the mayor is looking for a new place to place all these loose cannons in Gotham. While an outdoor stadium isn't the ideal place, the mayor uses the magic of eminent domain, which is this magic thing cities and governments can use to take your private property from you to for public use. No clue why I felt the need to briefly explain eminent domain, but the fact it's used and that the catalyst for this story is almost glossed over with one brief line of dialogue is aggravating. It feels incredibly forced in order to just get this story going.

The Verdict

ARKHAM MANOR is surprisingly enjoyable. By way of the solicits, the idea did seem a tad silly, but the way Duggan sets everything up here makes this book feel like it's going to be a very fun ride. Obviously, the idea of Batman and "fun" in the same sentence may be a turn-off to most people, but this isn't DEADPOOL or NOVA. This isn't a funny or zany book. There is a lot of emotion here as we see how important Wayne Manor is to Bruce and the lengths he'll go to in order to keep it from becoming a complete mess. If you're a Batman fan, check this one out for sure. If the character is normally a bit too much for you, then this is really a Bat-series for you.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I really like Duggan, but the concept of this series is a huge turn off to me.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It was/wasn't for me. It's a real "go with the flow" type of book.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@drellassassin said:

It was/wasn't for me. It's a real "go with the flow" type of book.

Yeah, so it seems. I'm not sure I can go with that particular flow, so I think I'll pass for now. I'll be interested to see how the next couple of issues do, however.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Eminent domain is a real thing. Though I'm not sure it's ever used as radically as it is here.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

Why would you have it in Wayne Manor though?? Right above the flippin' Bat Cave??? Come on Bruce! I'll check this out, but my pull list is dangerously tight, if it doesn't wow me, I'll have to pass.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inferiorego  Staff

Eminent domain is a real thing. Though I'm not sure it's ever used as radically as it is here.

Yeah. There was a HUGE problem with that in Illinois a few years back where the state government was stealing (yes, I still call it stealing) farm land and giving them insulting amounts of money (like $25k for 100 acres) to prepare land for commercial use.

Actually, I feel old now because I just realized that was a decade ago.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#7  Edited By RavenVice01

The story line is like Arkham City but on a smaller scale and it seems to take place after Batman Eternal. I suppose Spectre and Batwing defeat Deacon Blackfire by sending him back to hell but the recoil of his descent must have been a big explosion because it looked like Arkham was engulfed in green flames when it was destroyed.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Even tho I love Batman, don't we have enough Batman books already?

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm going to give this a chance and check it out. I really like Duggan on Deadpool & Nova right now so I'll try it out

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_stegman  Moderator
Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: it basically is stealing haha. Interesting real life example though. I don't think it ages you too badly :P

I suppose the reason Duggan didn't go into intense detail about the legal proceedings is probably because he's not an expert on it and just used it to forward the plot. It's probably better to say nothing then to pretend to know how emminent domain works and then be wrong about it.

@the_stegman: I think the implication with the emminent domain stuff is that it wasn't Bruce's decision. He can't tell the mayor that the manor is unsuitable because of the Batcave :3

Though I haven't read it yet.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I'm surprised about how interested I am in reading this book.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else feel like the art felt a bit flat

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzylittlerodent: Do you still have money left? If yes, then the answer is no there is not enough bat-books.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Is this that book about the Spectre? or just another Batman book?

Avatar image for rowdyfromscrubs
RowdyFromScrubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Underwhelmed. I don't see the need for this to be an ongoing monthly six issues tops.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzylittlerodent: Do you still have money left? If yes, then the answer is no there is not enough bat-books.

@fuzzylittlerodent: Each one tells a different story, so, no.

Yeah, you are right. 5 bat-books are definitely not enough. This just shows how much DC loves the Benjamins the character.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yay... ANOTHER Bat-book.

Avatar image for xxsadisticsmilexx
xxSadisticSmilexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i have faith in Duggan.

and i look very much forward to this book when i pick up later on Friday. probably gonna read this first before anything else. then second Starlight #6.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Zeeguy91

I read this issue. While the concept might seem a bit foreign, I have to say that the writing here really pulled it off. I love what the Batman line is doing right now. So many experimental and intriguing books. Between this, Batman proper, Gotham Academy, the new directions for Catwoman and Batgirl...this is a golden age for Batman fans, my friends.

@the_stegman said:

Why would you have it in Wayne Manor though?? Right above the flippin' Bat Cave??? Come on Bruce! I'll check this out, but my pull list is dangerously tight, if it doesn't wow me, I'll have to pass.

THAT is explained in the issue

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@rowdyfromscrubs: Ok good, I can skip this.

You shouldn't. Its pretty great.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Yeah, you are right. 5 bat-books are definitely not enough. This just shows how much DC loves the Benjamins the character.

Well, duh. They're a business. My question for you, though, is: Isn't it possible to love both the benjamins and the character at the same time?

cheluprim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By cheluprim

I wasn't interested in this at all when I first heard about the concept, but I decided to give it a shot after watching the interview with Duggan and I really enjoyed it :) I'm just loving these new titles!!

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

So do you think this is really more of a maxi-series with an ending already planned out than a real ongoing? This kind of status quo change really can't stick around for too long unless they're planning to change the other Batman books to conform to what's going on in this one (Which seems REEEEEEALLY unlikely)

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: Not gonna lie, the book was ok. But the fact remains that Batman is overused. He gets a new book while other equally awesome character are not getting their much deserved attention.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Not understanding all the complaining about how many Bat titles there are. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it or read it. They canceled the monthly Dark Knight title a while back. They also canceled Batwing, Talon, and Birds of Prey recently as well.

I really loved this issue. This book ties directly into Batman Eternal, so you will understand everything perfectly if you're reading that one. If not, mostly everything gets explained. You get the feeling that Bruce had a hand in allowing Wayne Manor to get used as a replacement for Arkham Asylum. Again, that's explained in the issue.

I'm loving all the Bat titles right now. My biggest complaint is that they've been revealing things in some of these titles that haven't happened yet in Batman Eternal. Sort of ruins it for me. Batman #35 and this Arkham Manor #1 both sort of did that. Not a fan of "this story takes place AFTER the events of..." when that other title is still not done with its story (Batman Eternal in this case).