API search for upcoming releases

astamm78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By astamm78

I've been trying to use the API to get a listing of all the comic book releases for an upcoming week.

For example, it's currently Dec 15th and I've tried running searches on the store_date for 2013-12-18 but I haven't gotten any results.

This was using this URL for my search;

http://www.comicvine.com/api/issues/?format=json&api_key=<API KEY>&filter=store_date:2013-12-18

And I get no results

Any suggestions? Or know of another resource I can use to parse a listing of upcoming new releases every week?

Thanks

noah_cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By noah_cooper

I had a need for the same thing, and what I've found is that you won't get any results back for this kind of search until sometime on Tuesday.

astamm78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn. That's really too bad... it's not like the information isn't out there. There are plenty of comic store websites that have the upcoming releases listed a week in advance. I'm currently resorting to a weekly nokogiri scrape of one of those sites, but damn, it'd be amazing if this information was availible here with the API.

johnhutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By johnhutch

Dunno if you'll even see this comment cause it's almost two years later, but did you end up finding an API that goes out a few weeks in advance? I'm in the same boat -- nokogiri scraping comiclist.com.

i'm about to give this library a shot: https://github.com/AverageMarcus/UpComics

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

As far as I know that functionality won't be available, new releases can't be added until the day before release so any comic with a listed release date before that Wednesday is kinda taken out of the normal listings, so the issue object can't be accessed, I think it is that way as a side effect of keeping users from adding reviews to issues before the actual release. I'm explaining that poorly I'm sure but hopefully the jist comes across, issues can't be queried until the day of release just like they can't be reviewed.