gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

This issue and series is a little bittersweet. These Secret Wars side books are great in allowing certain time periods and story arcs to be further explored and fleshed out. With RENEW YOUR VOWS, we get to see a world where Peter and Mary Jane are still married, but we're also reminded that their marriage was wiped out before.

Dan Slott gives us an interesting look at what life is like for Peter, trying to juggle being a father as well as a crime fighter. He now has the added responsibility of keeping the city safe and is now at the point where he has to be careful what is said or done around their daughter. Those that are concerned can relax in knowing this isn't just 20+ pages of diaper talk. It's a great look at how things could have gone.

Because this is a Spider-Man comic, you know it's not going to be a perfect life. Slott gives us a new threat with the debut of Regent along with some other foes from Spidey's past to deal with. The action and the stakes are increased. There's something about 'family-man' Spider-Man where it feels like the threats are a bigger deal. This won't be a story where Spider-Man and family will hold hands and walk through the park without a care in the world. This isn't just a story to appease fans clamoring for the marriage to return.

With Adam Kubert on art, you know what to expect. His art always amazes. We get a great mix between talking scenes and ones with heavy action. John Dell's inks and Justin Ponsor's colors gives it all a nice clean feel.

Note: The idea to give the daughter a name different from MC2Spider-Girl's was a good one in my opinion. This story would change that character's origin which would be unnecessary.

The Bad

From the very beginning, you can feel that this is basically a WHAT IF...? story. That doesn't take away from the enjoyment.

You can feel some of the constraints in the number of issues allotted for the story. Things progress rather suddenly, giving the overall vibe a complete shift. It's clear the second issue will take the series will now have a different tone. There's also that WHAT IF...? feeling of that worst that could happen may just be around the corner.

What's interesting is this doesn't necessarily feel like it's in a Battleworld territory and if the residents are aware of the big picture.

The Verdict

The moment many have wanted and waited for is here. Peter Parker and Mary Jane are once again married. Sure, it's in a Secret Wars Battleworld region but we get to see what married life is like for the two along with how they're raising their daughter. Slott takes the theme of responsibility to a new level now that Peter is a family man. The story does have a slight sudden pace but that is likely necessary due to the constraints of the size of the series. Adam Kubert's pencils and Justin Ponsor's colors make this look as great as we could hope. Spider-Man's world is often plagued by bad luck but let's hope this turns out to be a great experience for the characters and readers.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StarBrand1

Had it in my hands and I put it back. Just like with convergence I feel like I'm unsure if I want to Invest my money in something that just won't matter. I know good store are being told. But it's still a bit of a pickle situation for me. I put all my secret war tie ins back on the shelf and now I'm second guessing it.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have fond memories of the House of M series where Peter is married to Gwen.

abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By abeyance

Make this canon or begone Dan Slott.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starbrand1: My view is that as long as it's a good story then I don't care too much if it 'matters'. Besides, some stuff from Battleworld is going to be sticking around when 616 returns, so some stuff will matter in the end anyway. Kinda fun trying to guess what (if I can avoid the spoilers!)

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good way to tease the fans as I think marvel loves to do. I don't think they've ever been able to resist poking at the fans who are still angry over OMD/BND given the heat they took at the time. Spider-Man is a success after all, so they can laugh at every fan who didn't like the wedding killer story and I think they enjoy that feeling of vindication. Sort of as long as more fans think they were right than think they were wrong then they were right. So much of marvel seems almost designed to get people angry these days and this is just another example of that.

From the review it sounds like something to fish out of the discount box next year, not something worth full price. But as pointed out in the review it's a one shot What-iF that's basically throw away filler.

Maximum-Spider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maximum-Spider

Look there are mistakes & things I had to ignore but...OK my quick comment on RYVs without spoiling anything. It was actually great! Exciting! Great MJ & Spiderman/Peter & left me wanting more. The whole arc now! All except the end made no sense is all I’ll say. So one whole star away for that…darn almost…Still left me wanting more as I zoomed through it. I’ll keep reading this....

& by the end I mean. Spider-man why wouldnt you be studying ways to beat regent underground like a way to absorb his powers or anything. I do not buy he was protecting his daughter when he lets a guy like that rule her world. Spider-man has always been lowkey up there with the smartest heros with more creativity & resourceful because he always had to be. Read any of lee's runs or whenever he's beaten anyone much more powerful.

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it, I loved that Mary Jane was a main character again and Slott's didn't write her like he did before Secret Wars. She was a strong intelligent woman here. The issue started a little bumpy but figured it out quickly, I loved the ending.

Very good issue, I'm expecting my heart to be torn out of my chest at the end of this but I will deal with that then. I will be picking up the rest of this tie-in. Hope it sticks after Secret Wars.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved this issue. I also was happily surprised because I have not been of fan of Slotts current Amazing Spider-Man run. My eyes are also pleased to see a different and far superior artist drawing my favorite web-head. Sorry Ramos. The marriage of Peter to Mary Jane is something I have longed for for awhile now and this briefly filled that gap even though it is a What If.. kinda story. The dilemmas do feel more important now since he has a wife and child. I'm also glad that Spidey viewed his family as the biggest responsibility over anything. However, Peter attempting to kill Venom did make me miss the old spidey. All in all a fantastic issue and I can not wait for more!

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved this issue. I also was happily surprised because I have not been of fan of Slotts current Amazing Spider-Man run. My eyes are also pleased to see a different and far superior artist drawing my favorite web-head. Sorry Ramos. The marriage of Peter to Mary Jane is something I have longed for for awhile now and this briefly filled that gap even though it is a What If.. kinda story. The dilemmas do feel more important now since he has a wife and child. I'm also glad that Spidey viewed his family as the biggest responsibility over anything. However, Peter attempting to kill Venom did make me miss the old spidey. All in all a fantastic issue and I can not wait for more!

Frankly , in that same situation , I would've done the same thing and would've wanted to do the same thing. Had enough of those crazy villians coming back now that you have your weakness ( family ). And with that 'Regent' guy , I doubt it would've stopped.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story being told here, and the unexpected twist, actually makes this better than I expected going into it. Definitely going to keep reading this one.

Maximum-Spider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordryus@webheadcomics@wowlock@captainhoopla Too early for me to put out spoilers. So, being discreet. I respect your opinions but do you really thinking that would protect his fam or put them & the world they live in, in more danger? Seems very silly to me. Seems like he should handle the ones that know his ID in special ways as he did & keep fighting the good fight. What good could possibly come from not doing so? He's a sharp guy when lee/ditko/romita sr wrote him & cunning & intuitive. He knows about the ultimate nullifier & is MacGyver like with ingenuity, could come up with smarter ways to deal with all of this & him but, don't take the way that looks the easiest but clearly won't be. He of all people should know this imo.

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maximum-spider: agree to disagree. Your brain becomes hardwired to protect your kid when you become a parent. His priority is correctly Father, Husband, Hero.

Plus if he did go hero... well it would have been a one-shot.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wowlock said:

@webheadcomics said:

Frankly , in that same situation , I would've done the same thing and would've wanted to do the same thing. Had enough of those crazy villians coming back now that you have your weakness ( family ). And with that 'Regent' guy , I doubt it would've stopped.

I feel like anybody would've done the same thing (including me) but that is not how Spider-Man is in my opinion. Granted, this is a spin off (no pun intended) story, but in that moment it completely changed the character. For better or worse I'm not so sure but I missed the more innocent Spidey after reading this. Even though he is more adult now with his family and all.

Maximum-Spider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maximum-Spider

@lordryus Absolutely. However, is leaving a threat like that protecting your child? The Venom thing maybe you can say he did leave him no choice & so he dealt with him. That was protecting his family. This is prolonging a bigger danger instead of dealing with it too. He of all I feel should know it is going to actually endanger his family or he has learned nothing. We can agree to disagree, sure. Still seems silly & foolish to me considering what the guy (regent) just did. I'd be in a lab working on something "ultimate nullifer-ish" to make sure my family isn't in more danger

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maximum-spider: I think you're over thinking it. It's really just a plot excuse to time jump from baby Annie to little girl Annie featured on the cover for the next issue. If this wasn't a limited series I suspect he would have, but here Slott's keeping the plot streamlined. Nothing more.

Maximum-Spider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maximum-Spider

@lordryus lol. Well we can agree on that. It's plot induced thinking. His decision in the very end. The Venom one I thought made sense in the moment especially after Venom's "endearing speech"

t209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was kinda surprised that Spiderman get to have a happy ending, excluding Regent running Manhattan, which I thought that Dan Slott would gleefully murder Peter Parker and his family.

Glad to see Richard Rider again.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this issue was actually pretty solid. Still hesitant to get my hopes up, though.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was great, I really love Peter being a family man, its a shame this wont ever stick in canon, but Slott did say elements from Renew Your Vows will stay post Secret Wars so we'll have to see. Also seeing Pete fight classic Venom (Not Agent Venom) was just amazing to see again.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a lot of fun, great issue.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read it last night, i actually thought it was damn good first issue. You can feel off bat that it's a what if issue but still was very entertaining.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I though this was pretty great. Looking forward to part 2.

mcaraballo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was pissed! i felt as if they wanted to put so many obstacles and problems to show that spiderman cant continue being the hero that he is. Venom was out of Character. Can someone tell me since when does he wants to eat babies? or instantly knows where peter lives? like did he not defeat him and put him in jail to begin with? or he was locked up before maryjane was even pregnant? this writing is bad their not giving us what we want they want us to give up what we want. Marvel better tread lightly. so far these changes coming are disappointing. do they want me to give up comics?? for new generations? because it sure looks that way. really no spider tracer on the vulture? just give up? lame! lame super lame!

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By webheadcomics
@mcaraballo said:

i was pissed! i felt as if they wanted to put so many obstacles and problems to show that spiderman cant continue being the hero that he is. Venom was out of Character. Can someone tell me since when does he wants to eat babies? or instantly knows where peter lives? like did he not defeat him and put him in jail to begin with? or he was locked up before maryjane was even pregnant? this writing is bad their not giving us what we want they want us to give up what we want. Marvel better tread lightly. so far these changes coming are disappointing. do they want me to give up comics?? for new generations? because it sure looks that way. really no spider tracer on the vulture? just give up? lame! lame super lame!

I don't know about specifically babies, but Venom has said in previous issues that he has wanted to eat Spider-Man many times. Venom also says things to taunt Spider-Man. So whether he really wanted to eat Annie i'm not so sure. Also he easily could've eaten Annie before Spider-man arrived at the apartment but waited to show Spidey how easily he can be terrorized. Venom has always known things about Peter that no one other villain has knowledge of. Most importantly Venom knows Spideys secret identity which is closely linked to where he lives. This also goes to show that he is in character at least the one from the 90's. We don't know the specifics about Venoms term in prison and other minor factors because this is an alternate reality. It was a great Issue imo.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upon leading up to this series, Marvel had us under the impressed we'd get pre-OMD Peter and MJ back. Slott had ONE job. It was to create a world where OMD never happened. But of course, he slottified it and made it his own alternate reality. Reimaged the Avengers, gave Peter his web shooters back (he had organic webbing during OMD), and then killed everyone off. The last one, fine, whatever, i can deal. I can kind of deal with him renaming the kid Annie so it doesn't tie into MC2 continuity errors. But he just couldn't make it Spider-Man pre-OMD. He HAD to make it his own damn world. And that's why I hated this issue.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By oldwasher

This was a fantastic issue and reading it just makes me wish it was canon

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everything is in battleworld right now so technically isn't all these comics canon as far as marvel's current canon goes.

nofzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starbrand1: this is completely different than Convergence...I've enjoyed all of the books and I'm dumping a lot of cash in and trying most out.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I didn't expect this to play out how it did at all, but I really liked how it did. It's probably one of my favorite spider-man elseworlds ever.

Maximum-Spider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys imagine if in the story he actually does go on trial for the murder of Venom? How crazy would that be? Guy breaks into your home holds your family hostage chases you & your family down was trying to kill you the whole fight (& since you’ve met)threatens to keep coming after you all & eventually succeed n killing you & your family & somehow you, Peter, becomes the bad guy when you use potentially deadly force back…

On a different note any predictions on how all of this ends? I’ve got MJ dying trying to save their daughter while, Peter is trying to save his daughter so can’t save MJ, & he dies trying to save his daughter also. So Slott saying, “See this is the only way it can logically go if they stay married”.

Although I’ll give him logic on maybe "off-ing" Venom or a villain that knowns his identity & how to find him(doesnt have to happen he could also more & other options but, does make sense in the context) If MJ & Pete got married they’d likely have a child if they could eventually. Makes sense also. However I strongly disagree he’d ever make the mistake that ignoring a big threat like Reagent would be protecting his family. He of all knows better. He could & should be working in a lab under ground to try to depower/beat Reagent & he would be safe doing it.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nofzac: that has nothing to do with my post.

nofzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nofzac

@starbrand1: Sorry - i read your post as saying that you put all the tie-ins back because you were worried they didnt matter, and are having second thoughts....i was just expressing that i've been enjoying a lot of the stories in Secret Wars, and some of them might matter...but even if they don't - they have still been great. Sorry if it didn't come across.