gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Every now and then we see a big change in the status quo of popular comic book characters. Some love them and others frown upon them. But for a comic book universe that hasn't really rebooted the characters' history, mixing things up and changing characters around can make for some interesting stories. Rick Remender often plans things out for the long haul so it's going to be interesting to see how this story goes.

The idea of someone replacing Steve Rogers as Captain America isn't new either. What is fascinating about it is seeing how Sam Wilson, formerly Falcon, will take to the role. For a first mission, Sam is taking on a HYDRA base. Cap fans will be happy to know Steve is still involved by providing intel to Sam during missions. Sam also won't be fighting alone as it seems he'll be partnering with the new Nomad as well.

Stuart Immonen's art is a welcomed treat. With each issue he draws, I love his art more and more. Having him draw the adventures of Falcon as Captain America (with inks by Wade Von Grawbadger) is fantastic. I was ready to ask why would Falcon need a shield when he's operated for years without one. Seeing the way Immonen draws the action, that clearly requires a shield, more than answered the question. As for the other question, can Sam throw the shield with expertise? For the most part, yes.

The Bad

I'm a big fan of Captain America. I've been reading his stories for decades. It can be hard to embrace a different character taking up the mantle. At the same time, because I have been reading for so long, it's easy to accept Steve will eventually, somehow, return to the role.

There's a minuscule amount of confusion as we're seeing Sam under the influence of the Inversion spell in AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS. This has caused some changes to his personality but thankfully he appears to be okay here.

I kind of would have liked seeing Sam actual practice using the shield but I suppose others might see that as a little dry.

The Verdict

Change happens all the time in comics and we are seeing a new Captain America once again. Sam Wilson is not a new character but he does bring some new ideas to the role of Cap. Rick Remender gets to play around with the new status quo and we can already see we're in for a treat with this new fighting duo. Stuart Immonen's art is a great as you would expect. The action scenes are superb and wait until you see the last page. It might be hard for some to accept change but we all know these sort of changes have a way of circling back eventually. What readers need to do is embrace the change and strap in for the ride. You never know what Rick Remender is cooking up and you won't want to miss out on the fun.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 51

The art and the action scenes really stood out. Didn't love Nomad in this, but I loved the ending. Great issue!

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why exactly isn't Steve Rogers Captain America? Was he injured?

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Man. You missed us by a mile. You ever thrown this thing before?" Lol!

BIGGGHEADTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: he lost his super solider serum in his body so now he's just an old man

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flashback0180
BIGGGHEADTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art and the action scenes really stood out. Didn't love Nomad in this, but I loved the ending. Great issue!

i agree this was a great first issue

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Want to get this just to see how they use Nomad, especially with Steve no longer the Cap.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By illmatic4177

Liked this a lot, happily surprised.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would support the idea that Captain America is a title that can be passed on to any hero, and that the shield becomes a symbol more than a weapon. I don't see why Falcon needs to use the shield because the audience knows that this is a gimmick and someone else will return as standard Captain.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Very excited to read this, love the design of falcon cap

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would've given this a 5/5, I loved this issue

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rubear

Actually he is very good and real with Inversion, he-he.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WheatStalker

Yeah, great issue. I'm glad they answered the question of how Sam would use the shield while flying.

I think this series will go a long way to making that moment when Steve becomes Cap again that much better. I wonder how long it will be, anyway ... a year, two years.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good stuff, Really enjoying it!

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great Issue! Sam Wilson makes a great Captain America

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do they need someone to be Captain America ? Couldnt Wilson have stayed Falcon or is the captain america title becoming something like the batman title ?

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@nickzambuto: he lost his super solider serum in his body so now he's just an old man

I never understood how one could remove the super soldier serum from a body. Each and every cell in Capt's would have it. It was infused into him. Even a complete blood transfusion wouldn't work since the SSS would be part of his bones and within his bone marrow.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I didn't expect it but I really loved this issue. I can say that my whole life I have always hated Sam Wilson but in this issue I started loving the guy. For now I think that Remender is writting a better Sam Wilson as Captain America than Steve. I really want to see what will happen next in this really interesting take on the character and all of the supporting cast.

4/5

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will NOT BUY any more number 1 comics from Marvel. I'm holding on to Amazing SpiderMan, the only one I'm buying now, if they restart it... I'm done with them.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I will NOT BUY any more number 1 comics from Marvel. I'm holding on to Amazing SpiderMan, the only one I'm buying now, if they restart it... I'm done with them.

Why? How does that affect the story?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#24  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Brubaker showed Bucky training with the shield, even having Bucky point out that if he miscalculated a throw he'd have to chase the shield down on the battlefield. I don't think seeing Falcon train with the shield would be "dry," but would actually show how you can't just pick the shield up and suddenly master the thing.

Heck, during Fallen Son even Tony Stark made a point to Hawkeye of how some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents tried the shield out and all of them ended up injuring themselves.

wundagoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By wundagoreborn

I missed something. The background page says that Ian has taken on the Nomad name, but when did that happen? I looked back at the last issue of Cap, but don't see that. Am I blind? Was it in another book?

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin:

well marvel isnt shy about it, they are honest and say the reason the do this all the time is because issue 1's sell the best, they do it for that reason only. it is a bit annoying that marvel does not care about the long time readers, and cater to "getting new readers"

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@bigggheadtj said:

I never understood how one could remove the super soldier serum from a body. Each and every cell in Capt's would have it. It was infused into him. Even a complete blood transfusion wouldn't work since the SSS would be part of his bones and within his bone marrow.

Yeah, I like this book but that is a glaring inconsistency. The serum gave him his power, but by now it would be long gone and its effects permanent.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#29  Edited By Teerack

I like the Bob Agent of Hydra cameo.

I don't really care about politics in comics but his "we still have the best prison system" line really bugged me since our prison system is actually THE worst in the whole world and really needs to be reformed with how much money is wasted on it.

So.... Taskmaster isn't brain dead in a comma now?

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I get the issue and replacing Cap is just a temporary thing. With the Avengers and Captain America movies coming out this is clearly just something to give Sam some exposure. One thing I don't like is how they felt the need to make so many changes all at the same time. Replace Thor, replace Captain America, and the whole inversion thing. But, there are a few people out there with the Super Soldier Serum so, getting cap back isn't going to be hard. What will be hard is explaining why with the serum he's young again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Fun issue. Really liked that Ian/Nomad still has some of that Zemo attitude and it isn't all rainbows and butterflies in his relationship with Sam.