All-New, All-Different Avengers #4

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We've seen so many different incarnations of the Avengers over the years. The rosters have constantly changed along with their base of operations. Despite all the changes over the years, there's always been a common feeling to the book regardless of the changes. This current team is pretty different from anything we've seen in an Avengers book before.

Mark Waid has finally put together his non-traditional team. While there are some some familiar aspects like Iron Man with versions of Captain America and Thor, it's a new era for the team. Sam Wilson is an experienced hero from his years as Falcon, but he's still getting used to the role of Captain America. The new Thor has been building up her experience, but she's still a huge mystery to the rest of the team. Vision is a veteran member, but clearly there's something more going on with him. The rest of the team is filled with newer and younger members. Sam Alexander, Kamala Khan, and Miles Morales have each shown us they are more than capable of holding their own and doing great things. It's just not too common to see younger and less experienced heroes, let alone three, given a spot on the team.

That's what makes this so intriguing.

As mentioned, we've seen a lot of different variations with the team roster. Waid is giving us a different and more scrappy version. They finally have a new headquarters, but without a mountain of money or government support, the team will have rely on other means to get the job done. The addition of Jarvis is interesting, and even he has some doubts about how the team will operate. We've seen the perfect teams over and over. They've always has the luxury of a high-tech headquarter with numerous quinjets, fancy communication gadgets, and state of the art training areas. This team will need to focus on their strengths as heroes in order to work together to complete each mission.

That's another aspect Waid is exploring. The team may be officially formed, but they'll need to work on their actual teamwork techniques. Most of these heroes are used to working on their owns. They know what they're capable of doing and will have to learn to rely on the others and to watch each other's backs.

Mahmud Asrar is no stranger to team books these days. He handles big roster with ease and excels at popping in expressive looks that truly conveys the emotion of each character. Seeing Jarvis' disdain for the new headquarters or Ms. Marvel getting creeped out by Vision was fantastic. When it comes time for action, we see all the different members doing their part and the action has a very fluid feel to it.

As entertaining as it is to see this new and different team try to figure out how they'll operate, it will take some getting used to. They've had a couple missions so far and there's been a slightly strange feeling at the resolution of each. They're supposed to be the Avengers. It'll be interesting to see the team fully come together since they're already doing good things. The other concern was the big kiss seen on the cover. The reason is explained. It partly felt as if it was mainly to stir up reactions. This is another thing we'll have to wait to see if it's further explored or just a one-off event.

You've probably read a mountain of Avengers comics, but you haven't read ones like this. Mark Waid is embracing the "All-New, All-Different" title and giving us a team that's very different from what we've seen before. There's a bit of a learning curve despite all the heroes having plenty of experience on their own. This different vibe to the team does separate it from past volumes and adds an air of mystery to the series. We're used to the team being able to seamlessly take on any problems. That's not the case here and it's part of what makes it feel fresh. Mahmud Asrar's art is refreshing as well. His art keeps getting better and better as he handles the solitary character moments along with the heavy times of action. Forget what you knew about the Avengers before. This is a new team for a new age.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I still wish they had done a YOUNG AVENGERS book that featured Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, and Nova along with some other young heroes besides throwing them into the main avengers roster so soon.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't a fan of Waid's writing this issue

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Waid is normally a lights our writer but he is struggling with this team which makes me think this book is more written by a committee with editors and higher ups.

Also everyone was right about the kiss since the cover was shown, it happens in the book but its literally for attention and nothing else.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jane want some of that Sam.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@br_havoc: I think it's hard to say at this point. It does kind of seem like it but maybe something more will come out of it?

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@br_havoc said:

Waid is normally a lights our writer but he is struggling with this team which makes me think this book is more written by a committee with editors and higher ups.

Also everyone was right about the kiss since the cover was shown, it happens in the book but its literally for attention and nothing else.

You know I thought about it and told myself i'm overreacting because a cover of a issue usually doesn't mean it will actually happen IN the issue, but the fact you said IT HAPPENED makes me VERY sad. Because NOW I will forever remember the Time....Thor..Kissed..Captain America.....*sigh*....Ok Marvel alright I will try to ride that train with you.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: It would be sad if Jane and Sam started dating and she didn't tell him she's going to die.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as I saw the cover, I thought "Of course, of-freakin-course."

Go Marvel, lmfao.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrkareemruiz: Sam has a thing going with Misty there is no romance in the way this kiss is presented its them kissing to get people to stop asking when the real Captain America is coming back.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: Jane would not have kissed Sam if she didn't like him. ALSO THEY CALLED THEM THE PC Avengers. this statement about Ms Marvel, Jane, Sam and Miles.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

@ducey13 said:

I still wish they had done a YOUNG AVENGERS book that featured Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, and Nova along with some other young heroes besides throwing them into the main avengers roster so soon.

yep

vox bosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was ok. Although, I'm wondering what thier first real arc will be about.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its cool people, they're not the Real Thor and Captain America. Those two are just temporary stand in's for when the real Thor and Cap come back. Its all good.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrkareemruiz: I guess so, I read it the same as I did when Thor kissed Thor in Thor :p She is proving a point with the kiss. If that leads to Sam having feelings for her great then its actually story driven but as of right now this seemed like an attention grab to get the internet talking. Which is becoming a bit of a problem at Marvel too many times the writers are talking down too or taking a jab at people online instead of just letting the books and story lines turn haters into fans.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainrex: Try to keep up mate, its already been confirmed Sam will remain as Captain America when Steve returns as Cap, they are both going by that name and Steve gets a new shield while Sam keeps the original one. http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-announces-steve-rogers-to-return-as-captain-america

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainrex: Try to keep up mate, its already been confirmed Sam will remain as Captain America when Steve returns as Cap, they are both going by that name and Steve gets a new shield while Sam keeps the original one. http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-announces-steve-rogers-to-return-as-captain-america

Trust me a am aware of that. But I know for a fact that even this won't last. Sooner or later, Sam will eventually go back to being Falcon and Steve will still be Captain America. Its just a faze Marvel is going through, shaking up the Status Quo to pander to the PC and SJW's to sell comics. But eventually this will come to pass. X-23, Amadeus Cho, Sam Wilson and even Jane Foster will eventually lose their mantels and take a different path.

Its not a question of if. But When.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainrex: Sad but true, though I enjoy all the ones you mentioned as characters, though there is also a new Falcon right now so if Sam was to go back to that title they'd have to deal with the new Falcon too. Though I wonder if back in the day people said the same thing about Carol Danvers becoming Captain Marvel wont last after the original died but she still is now.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@currentthor2015: There have been several Captain Marvels in the past. Mar-Vell, Genis-Vell, Phyla-Vell, Monica Rameau all have which have bared the Captain Marvel title and have since moved on. Carol started as Ms. Marvel, the female equivalent of Mar-Vell. And due to her character, she rose in popularity until she out shon Captain Marvel (At that point everyone associated the title with DC's Shazam) and Mar-Vell fell into a D-list hero, while Ms. Marvel rose to an A-List.

Every other character where B/C list heroes that where promoted to A-List in the quickest, laziest way possible. (Accept X-23, her transition was actually done well in my opinion. But I still think Wolverine will come back.)

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrkareemruiz

@captainrex: I want Sam to be Falcon. that's who he is. He's more important then Cap. There are alot of white heroes but only a few black ones.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13: I wish we they done that young avenger

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Where has Jarvis been all this time. I thought he had been killed off since the Cinematic Universe seemed to be so popular.

But he has been in semi-retirement all this time?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

Avatar image for super saiyan videl
Super Saiyan Videl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't kept up with this series because their are too many little kids on the team so it just seems like Avengers with babysitters. Is it even any good because I've heard mixed stuff.

Avatar image for super saiyan videl
Super Saiyan Videl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainrex: Yes. Jane and Falcon will soon die.

You might be right about the Falcon since his series his declined really low in sales from what I've seen and they're already bringing back Steve.

ia0delond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is that Thor woman ?

Big mysteries in that book.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 owie  Moderator

The last three issues sucked, and I was going to stop reading this, but I had put it on my pull list before it came out due to Khan and Morales, so I got this issue out of inertia. It was actually much better than the previous issues. Not fantastic or anything, but good enough to convince me to keep reading. The character synergy was better, the art was less cartoony somehow. And Sam, by far the most annoying character (I don't know what he's like in other comics) was more restrained. It had some humor and decent action and plot set-up.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tantani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers