Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 207 - "The Writing on the Wall"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: There will be spoilers in our summary.

Recap

A woman is on a date with guy. It's the tattoo guy we saw before. They met at a bar and go to her apartment. She feels like they know each other. She's says she's an art teacher when he notices art supplies and books in her place. He says they do know each other. Opens his shirt to reveal carvings on his body. "How do you know about that?" He pulls out a knife and says he'll help her remember.

Coulson is carving again. Skye hasn't been sleeping. Says it's all connected--Ward escaping, knowing about her father who has the alien device plus the fact they both had the serum put in them. May and the others are out looking for Ward.

No Caption Provided

In Philadelphia, Agent Triplett finds Ward at a bus terminal. Ward grabs a bag out of a locker. Triplett is about to get him, Ward lifts shirt to show he has bombs strapped to him. One of Skye's contacts found signs of the symbols at a crime scene. Coulson says the woman was a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent and not an art teacher. They head over to her place and break in. In a room, she has a bunch of art with the symbols. In the corner of one is written "A Magical Place." She was Level 6 at the Triskelion. She "died" six years ago. They get the body and Simmons examines it. Coulson feels he should know something more about her if she was just Level 6.

In Atlanta, Georgia, Ward gets off bus finds a woman and child to "help out." He tags along with them as they get on a bus to Dallas. Bobbie Morse is on the bus and he sits next to her. He noticed she was reading a book and is still on the same page. He calls her bluff even though she denies it. He shows his deadman switch and tells her to stay put. He gets off bus and gets on another bus but Hunter is on, wearing a cowboy hat and using a Southern accent.

No Caption Provided

Simmons is getting results from he body. There was skin from her attacker was under her nails. Both had GHD-25 in her blood too. So did the killer. Coulson says they'll have to torture the information out of him using the same device that helped him get his memories back. It seems the Tahiti Program was used to bring back other agents from he dead and he was in charge of it. Memories are coming back. He's alone in a room. There's a file on the table and then the dead agent is there. Now he's seeing several other agents--six of them. He's starting to have a reaction. The memories are getting freaky. One guy didn't show any signs go becoming unstable. Coulson remembers trying to order the program be shut down along with the host, who is thousands of years old. A doctor says it could be memories of the host. If they erase all their memories, they'll never be agents but will be able to live normal lives.

Ward is in Boston. Goes into a bar. The bartender welcomes him back. Sunil Bakshi, Whitehall's man, enters he bar with a couple guys. He knew Garrett and it turns out Ward called him. He says now he's finally free. Since Strucker is overseas, he wants to meet whoever is in charge. Says he can get them close enough to Coulson to put a bullet in his head.

Coulson is remember the killer agent. Says he doesn't need to be erased. Already started carving symbols on his arm. Mac insists they pull him out. They call May and she says to lock Coulson up. He's not being cooperative so Skye pulls a gun on him. The guy was Sebastian Darick. He was a killer. Coulson tricks Skye and pushes her into the cell so he can go "take care of something."

Mac and Fitz are playing video games. Fitz says Coulson's memories haven't been deleted, just disconnected. Coulson tracks down an agent and pulls a gun on him to pick his brain. The rest of the team are preparing to take out Ward. Coulson realizes too late the killer agent got there first. He knocks him out. In the bar, they find Bakshi bound and gagged. A note says "For Coulson."

No Caption Provided

Sebastian has Coulson tied up and starts cutting him. Says the pain brought back memories. He tried tracking Coulson down first but he was already "dead." Sebastian killed the others to try to find out what the symbols mean. He says the answers aren't two-dimensional. Skye and Mac find the agent, who escaped, and his family. They go to his house. Coulson and Sebastian are fighting. The symbols were a map. The agent built a city for toy trains and Coulson says the symbols are a map to a city. Coulson says the compulsion to carve is gone. Now they just need to find where to go. They have Bakshi in the prison. Coulson comes clean with the others about his recent missions and the symbols. The bad news is HYDRA is also looking and they have more resources. But they have the map. They just need to find it before anyone else.

Ward finally shaves. Skye hacks into Bakshi's phone. It rings. She answers "Hail HYDRA." It's Ward. He says he was true to his word about getting Bakshi close to Coulson. Says they'll see each other soon. Looks like he's going after his brother first.

Thoughts

We finally know what the symbols are about. While it was an interesting plot, it did start to feel it was dragging on a little. The show was getting too sidetracked with Coulson being so distracted. What's interesting is the fact that Coulson was in charge of the Tahiti Program. Sebastian asked him why he would volunteer himself knowing what it would do and Coulson responded that he didn't volunteer.

It's good seeing the team working together to try to find Ward. The problem is, they apparently were no match for him. Ward outsmarted them way too easily. Is Ward just supposed to be that great of an agent? Of course they couldn't catch him or else this storyline would be over already. Perhaps it would've been better if they didn't have so much interaction with him and Ward outsmarting them. It also felt they tracked him down too quickly.

No Caption Provided

The continued development of the semi-friendship betwen Mac and Fitz is fun. Mac is wondering what he got himself into by signing up to work with these guys. He's also helping Fitz overcome his problems without realizing it.

The secret of the symbols is interesting. What is this lost city? Is it Attilan? We've long suspected that the "host" of the GHD-25 could be a Kree or Inhuman. Is Skye part Inhuman? Is this Marvel Studios' way to introduce Inhumans? If so, it's something people will want to pay attention to.

It's always a good thing when we get some answers. We may not know everything about the symbols but it looks like something is starting to brew.

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

First Flash, now Shield. Constantine, too. I don't watch Gotham, but 3 great nights is fine with me!

I really liked this episode.The thought of Attilan being the city being etched is just oozing with potential, both in tv and cinemas.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Whoo! Looks like we may be getting into the Inhumans finally!

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

YES! Attilan!! super excited to see that further explored, and for rogue Ward. I think we can now definitely say Skye is an Inhuman.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full on Captain America poster artwork in the show, pretty cool. This episode reminded me of that scary jungle boat show with Bruce Greenwood, The River.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I hope it's Attilan but this show has been really good.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FearTheLiving

So if anyone had any doubt about the Inhumans this episode completely confirms it. Not a ton of action but some incredible character moments and advancing the over arching plot so I'm down, and from what some of the cast members have been saying a pretty insane fighting episode is right around the corner. So I'm not worried.

Side Note: Did anyone else get the feeling Mac was acting a little strange? Like he was fishing for information from Fitz? Could he be Hydra? I hope not, but he was very peculiar this episode.

SUPER SIDE NOTE: How awesome would it be if we're introduced to the Inhumans in AOS before the movie? Even if it's little more than a glorified cameo it would be awesome to see the gang (Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Karnak, Triton, Gorgon, and of course Lockjaw) before the movie, but givin how far that film is away it seems unlikely as of now.

jowser11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cameron Klein, son of Stanley Klein? Jeeeeez this is like the most obscure reference ever.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jowser11 said:

Cameron Klein, son of Stanley Klein? Jeeeeez this is like the most obscure reference ever.

That wasn't the only one. Skye's contact, the crime junkie, was Micro aka Microchip, a close friend of the Punisher.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blackice709

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

@jowser11 said:

That wasn't the only one. Skye's contact, the crime junkie, was Micro aka Microchip, a close friend of the Punisher.

PUNISHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope he shows up in the netflix series.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: I totally noticed that about Mack, at first I was thinking he might be a Hydra agent. But supposedly his character in the comics writes a tell all book about SHIELD. So maybe we will see him do something similar on the show.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthewparker: I suppose we'll see. I don't want to believe he's Hydra so I hope it's something more like that.

Surtr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was great deserve 5 stars!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Very good episode. Nice to have a big pay off episode like that after so much build up.

It was cool that Ward referenced Strucker running Hydra overseas.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A buddy of mine has a theory that the obelisk is terrigen misting it up, and that Skye is an Inhuman. I kinda buy it, because I could see Marvel going the X-Men route with the Inhumans, and making it so that you or your neighbor could be one, and not even know it until exposed to terrigen mist/the obelisk.

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

easy five stars to me. I think the city is attilan. Also they say robbie baldwin aka Speedball is being introduced through the show. Can anyone say Civil War? I wonder if Kamala will be in the Inhumans movie. Would help since their is a lack of teenage heroes in the MCU. New Warriors could help with that too before they cause the civil war.

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nfareed71024

also the symbols are a blueprint, not a map.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking the idea of Ward as some kind of twisted Hydra hunter.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing about ward not actually having real bombs attached to him and him sending them a high level agent of hydra intresting guess the ward hate is real when hes possibly the best chracter in AoS

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite honestly, Ward IS the show to me. There have been twists and turns thus far, some seen, and some not. But Mostly, all the scenarios are playing out into a certain direction. The only factor in which we have NO IDEA what will happen, is Ward. I do believe he is crazy, i do believe he wants to protect Skye. He is good and bad, which means nothing is off the table with the guy.

KPKevthePoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KPKevthePoet

"This guy Micro" first thought from me was "from The Punisher?" 2nd thought was "oh yeah, Defenders is gonna be on Netflicks next year. SOooooo excited!

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There haven't been any confirmed movies about the Inhumans yet are there?
So wouldn't it be way too soon to introduce them to the Cinematic Universe as they might not show up for a few more years.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MatthewParker

@pelykan said:

So wouldn't it be way too soon to introduce them to the Cinematic Universe as they might not show up for a few more years.

Inhumans has been announced. It hits theaters on November 2, 2018.

Here's a comprehensive list of all the upcoming superhero movies.

http://matthewparker.hubpages.com/hub/Upcoming-Superhero-Movies-2014

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MatthewParker

We can probably all agree Skye is an inhuman, but any theories on who Skye and her dad might be specifically?

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I'm really intrigued at the concept of the city being Attilan. That would be very clever, and innovative.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man they did say early on in season one that Ward was on par with Black Widow. I liked Ward's portrayal in this episode but get the "it's pretty early to have Ward so close to getting caught" con.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can probably all agree Skye is an inhuman, but any theories on who Skye and her dad might be specifically?

Yep. Good question.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I wonder if the Inhuman's costumes will look quite as...Silver Age

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pelykan said:

Inhumans has been announced. It hits theaters on November 2, 2018.

Here's a comprehensive list of all the upcoming superhero movies.

http://matthewparker.hubpages.com/hub/Upcoming-Superhero-Movies-2014

I thought I saw them all but I hadn't seen that Inhumans was announced. But for a 2018 release it still seems like it would be way to early to start teasing this big, this is a really big storyline for Agents this season not just a glimpse at an alien body. Unless ofcourse they are gonna be showing more throughout the other upcoming movies.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#33  Edited By Teerack

!!! It's Attilan! The blood they have in them is inhuman!

Rezaujp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

finally inhumans will be introduced in MCU!! the first of it in AoS, this gonna be freaking cool!