Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: there will be spoilers below!

No Caption Provided

Recap

Coulson and Rosalind are having dinner at her place. She seems to be okay with Coulson infiltrating her work and she's going to keep pretending she doesn't know she's working for HYDRA (through Malick). She's ready to go back in but Coulson says he can't protect her inside. She mentions she scheduled a meeting with Malick but then suddenly is shot through the neck. It was a sniper shot from quite a distance away. Ward has begun his attack against Coulson.

Her phone rings and Ward tells him now he knows what it feels like to watch someone you care about bleed out. Ward mentions she was a leak but makes it clear this was personal. Some men were sent in to finish the job. Coulson puts up a good fight but eventually jumps out the window. Mack arrives just in time to drive him away.

No Caption Provided

At the S.H.I.E.L.D. base, Coulson is angry. Talking to May, he wants to know how Ward thinks. He questions each of the original team to get more insight - May, Simmons, Fitz, and Daisy. Daisy says with her, he didn't put on an act. He was looking for something in each of them. She says, based on his past, she understands how he could be drawn into someone like Garrett. He doesn't kill because he feels nothing, he kills because he feels too much. Coulson says it sounds like she's willing to forgive him. She says she'll never forgive him. When he sees Hunter, he slams him against the wall for failing to take out Ward when he had the chance. He says he will give him another chance and puts Mack in charge as acting director. He's going to cross a line that the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. can't.

Malick shows Ward five stones -- mini-Monoliths to re-open the portal. When Fitz and Simmons go off with Agent Banks, they're ambushed and Banks gets killed. Ward tries getting into Simmons' head. She refuses and tells him to do his worst. He says if she knew him, she'd know he'd never hurt her. But that doesn't mean he won't let another agent do it. Ward then talks to Fitz while they hear Simmons screaming in the other room.

No Caption Provided

Coulson and Hunter grab a guy at gunpoint. It turns out to be Ward's younger brother Thomas. They later call Ward. He sends Ward a live video of him but Ward knows Coulson won't hurt him. Then Hunter enters the picture and Ward's not happy. When they hang up, Thomas pleads for them not to turn him over to Grant. He said Grant would hurt others and make up stories just so he'd feel better. Calling Ward again, Thomas says he'd been trying to hide from him. With the call throwing him off, Coulson manages to trace the call. Angered, he goes to Simmons and demands answers about the portal.

At the castle where they were able to bring Simmons back through the portal, they prepare to open it again. They're going to send Fitz over to bring back HYDRA's first leader. Malick wants Ward to go over as well. Ward is skeptical but Malick says this is his chance to rise to his rightful place in HYDRA. Mack had decided to send agents over, including Lincoln and Joey, even if they're not quite ready. As the portal opens and they all jump through, Coulson jumps out of the plane right through the portal before it closes.

End: Ward, Fitz, and some HYDRA soldiers are on the alien planet. It's windy and hard to see. Coulson lands roughly, hits his head on a rock, and is knocked out.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

Things are getting pretty nuts. Just when it looked like Coulson could finally trust Rosalind, they kill her off?!? Having Ward do it was perfect for his plan of revenge against Coulson. It's too bad Rosalind is gone because she was becoming likable and it was nice to see Coulson be able to get some semblance of a normal life instead of being 'on duty' all the time. Obviously her death was set up to escalate the war between Coulson and Ward.

No Caption Provided

It's still hard to see Ward do such vile things. He's the typical villain you love to hate. Seeing the other Agents talk about him in their interrogation with Coulson. Many viewers still want Ward to be redeemed, but like he said a few episodes ago to Malick, he doesn't want redemption.

It's understandable that Coulson would want to go off on his personal mission against Ward but what does that say about him as the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. if he's willing to throw everything away for a personal vendetta? Sure, Ward is a threat that needs to be stopped but he's willing to go off the books to get the job done. What if another agent had a personal agenda? Would he be willing to allow them do whatever they wanted? This would be interesting if explored further. What accountability will he face from here?

I didn't think they'd be headed back to the alien planet so soon. The great thing about the show is there's no telling how things will end. We can assume the other HYDRA agents will be cannon fodder. There's only one more episode before the mid-season finale (and three month break). Pretty much each episode has had explosives consequences. Let's hope we don't get too big or painful of a cliffhanger next week to make us suffer for the three months.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is not messing around and they don't appear to be taking any prisoners. We're not seeing how characters aren't very safe, at least the new ones. The feud between Ward and Coulson has increased to a crazy level. We're at the point where we're sitting on the edge of our seats each week. The show hasn't really slowed down this season. It's hard to imagine what they're going to throw at us next week. I'm almost afraid to watch but obviously there's no way anyone will want to miss it. The show keeps getting better and better.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was a nonstop roller coaster ride and I couldn't get enough can't wait till next week. Opening was crazy didn't see it coming at all.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By panther21

R.i.P. Roz

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

Damn good episode. Plenty I want to say but let's just leave it at that for now.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rosalind, no!!! There is seriously no way one can justify Ward's actions, he's pure evil, accept it. Awesome episode.

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ward is my favorite Marvel villain, by a significant margin.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Comicbook show on TV right now, Ward needs his own comic

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By CurrentThor2015

Incredible episode, AOS continues to be my fave comicbook show on.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was just starting to like Rosalind and Banks as well...

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Great episode, was not expecting all that to happen in this episode

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Agents of Shield: Best weekly superhero show. Love how Marvel's best on screen villains have come from television: Kingpin, Killgrave, and Ward.

ragava1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

best marvel tv show

Lunarstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as Ward doesn't get written off this is show it's worth watching it.

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was a nonstop roller coaster ride and I couldn't get enough can't wait till next week. Opening was crazy didn't see it coming at all.

Agreed!!!

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode!!!!

A few hopes for the rest of the season:

• The Secret Warriors get new/personalised costumes. I get that those ones they had were probably made in a rush, so thats why they looked standard, but I'm hoping once the team becomes official, they all get costumes designed to amp their own powers. Lincoln having a conductive suit or Joey having having a suit with metal on it to use would be awesome (I'm assuming his powers get an amp).
  • I hope some non-Inhumans join the team. Deathlok would be a prime pick. Really hoping he comes back as a series regular, they did great work with the character and his costume. I though Mockingbird would be another solid choice for the team, but I have my suspicions thats not the case (explained below).
  • It's looking like Mack will become the permanent Director and head up the new Secret Warriors focused Shield team, while the Mockingbird/Hunter show could go on to be more of a spy-centric series. I honestly wouldn't be bothered if May and Coulson also joined this show and left Agents of SHIELD. I don't know how the titles would work, maybe rebrand the main AoS show as Secret Warriors, with Mack, Daisy and the new team taking centre fold, fighting new Inhuman threats as well as this new creature from Maveth, while Coulson, May, Mockingbird and Hunter head up a more spy centric series, dealing with a more political aspect. I think that could potentially be really awesome. Let each series develop and bolster their casts, filling with more supporting characters so they both have their own mythology.
Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Really enjoyed this episode. Stakes were definetly high and the mid season finale is most certainly going to be intense. When Coulson then jumps on of the jet and into the portal. I can't help but think that Cap would be proud.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's amazing how much this show has improved since the first season. This season has been excellent so far.

Madripoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ragava1234: lol you must be forgetting Daredevil and JJ.

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madripoor: I don't think he has, I don't tho k you've watched AoS

Madripoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madripoor: then you need to learn some basic English chump

Madripoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: You probably misunderstood, I was serious, please explain (and, btw, English is not even my native language).

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jewishdork: Agreed. Ward, Kingpin, and Kilgrave have all been amazing villains for different reasons.

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pelykan

Either Ward or Coulson are gonna fuse with the sandstorm demon and become this seasons main baddie.

My money is on Coulson because his rage is probably gonna trigger something with the sandstorm guy.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@ragava1234: lol you must be forgetting Daredevil and JJ.

You know neither of those is a TV-Show, right?

@pelykan said:

Either Ward or Coulson are gonna fuse with the sandstorm demon and become this seasons main baddie.

My money is on Coulson because his rage is probably gonna trigger something with the sandstorm guy.

Not much point in putting so much time into rebuting every excuse fans can come up with for Ward and making it perfectly clear he is responsible for his own actions and then turning him into some mindcontrolled villain with the perfect excuse.

So yeah, quite possibly Coulson is gonna be the baddy and Mack stays director for the time.

Also newest theory I heard on the thing from the other planet that seemed logically: its Hive.

ragava1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JJ and DD also best shows

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode. This show has improved so much. Ward is definitely on par with Loki, Kingpin, & Killgrave as the best MCU villains. Hopefully they don't kill him off. The show is just better with him around, but his personal war with Coulson has reached the tipping point. Really curious as to who/what this HYDRA Boogeyman is going to be.

One thing I've noticed about this show though, is it has a knack for hiring really talented actors/actress to play interesting characters only to then kill them off too quickly......

Saffron Burrows as Victoria Hand

Bill Paxton as John Garrett

Lucy Lawless as Isabelle Hartley

Reed Diamond as Daniel Whitehall

Dichen Lachman as Jiaying

Edward James Olmos as Director Gonzales

Constance Zimmer as Rosalind Price

Andrew Howard as Banks

I'll assume Powers Boothe/Gideon Malick and Marc Dacascos/Giyera aren't far behind from joining this group.

At least Deathlok, Glenn Talbot, and Calvin Zabo are still around.

fustacluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ward's gotta go.

Not because he's outlasted his role, or because the show is better off without him (on the contrary, Dalton has been excellent in this show), but he's managed to best the entirety of S.H.I.E.L.D. almost single-handedly and is starting to make all of them, and especially Coulson, look stupid and impotent. He's only human and has obvious mental issues, regardless of the skills he has and the will to use them with no remorse, yet S.H.I.E.L.D. can't take him down despite having been able to eliminate or capture far more powerful and intelligent beings.

If he manages to escape them again then S.H.I.E.L.D. might as well pack up and go home, last one out switch off the lights. If they can't handle this one man, what hope do they have to protect the world from anything?

One massive problem I do have with this episode is, after all the nefarious shit that Ward has done to everyone close to Coulson, why is the death of a woman that he has really only known and trusted for a week (given that until last week's episode he has believed her to be a threat since the start of this season) the trigger point for Phil to go rogue? It makes it seem that he cares very little for his own, especially when backed up with the fact that he sent FitzSimmons into the lions' den with no S.H.I.E.L.D. members as back-up, instead with a team that he barely knows that could be Hydra (OK, they weren't but there was no reason for Coulson to believe they weren't, particularly since until last week's episode they were all working for Hydra).

Also, world ending threat from an ancient being from another planet? I'm sure that kind of situation calls for assistance from some people with a bit more experience in these matters. Even if the big boys are too busy dropping cities out of the sky, they called in Asgardians and cyborgs for much lesser threats.

For me, this has been the worst episode of the show as it has highlighted the severity with which the credibility of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Coulson has been compromised, and it's getting difficult to take them seriously anymore.

fustacluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode!!!!

A few hopes for the rest of the season:

• The Secret Warriors get new/personalised costumes. I get that those ones they had were probably made in a rush, so thats why they looked standard, but I'm hoping once the team becomes official, they all get costumes designed to amp their own powers. Lincoln having a conductive suit or Joey having having a suit with metal on it to use would be awesome (I'm assuming his powers get an amp).
  • I hope some non-Inhumans join the team. Deathlok would be a prime pick. Really hoping he comes back as a series regular, they did great work with the character and his costume. I though Mockingbird would be another solid choice for the team, but I have my suspicions thats not the case (explained below).
  • It's looking like Mack will become the permanent Director and head up the new Secret Warriors focused Shield team, while the Mockingbird/Hunter show could go on to be more of a spy-centric series. I honestly wouldn't be bothered if May and Coulson also joined this show and left Agents of SHIELD. I don't know how the titles would work, maybe rebrand the main AoS show as Secret Warriors, with Mack, Daisy and the new team taking centre fold, fighting new Inhuman threats as well as this new creature from Maveth, while Coulson, May, Mockingbird and Hunter head up a more spy centric series, dealing with a more political aspect. I think that could potentially be really awesome. Let each series develop and bolster their casts, filling with more supporting characters so they both have their own mythology.

Didn't the Mockingbird/Hunter series get cancelled already? I thought they were supposed to be in the slot that's now been filled by season two of Agent Carter.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fustacluck: the guy they had in their custody for months, before a different group screwed that up, was left to die bleeding on the floor in the midseason finale, failed to kill Bobbi, accidentally killed his own girlfriend, failed to kill mays dad, failed to kill Andrew, almost died against two of Coulson agents sent after him and now gets suckered in by yet another Hydra leader?

When has he bested all of Shield? Every time Coulson wants to find him, he captures his psycho girlfriend or little brother to get him. Ward is alive because he was more useful alive to Coulson. He was found everytime Coulson wanted to find him.

He never was Coulsons primary concern until now, Shield was always busy with Whitehall, Inhuman citys, the Real Shield and other people that are an actual threat to the world and not failures like Grant Ward that are motivated by pure pettyness and have failed to archive any lasting success.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rogueshadow  Moderator

'You were the best soldier we ever made.'

Uhmmm...

No Caption Provided

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Where's Deathlok?? Why wasn't he on Daisy's team? Is it the Inhumans-Only-Club?

fustacluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick theory:

Ward redeems himself by sacrificing his life to save Fitz, Coulson and astronaut dude in the Forbidden Zone or wherever it is they've gone after the creature wipes out the red-jerseys.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhmmm...

No Caption Provided

Didn't we establish Ward feels the need to be seen as a hero? May literally stated it this episode.

Malick is just playing with that. Lets give the man credit for figuring Ward out so quickly, before his alien messiah eats his brain for funsies, I mean.

fustacluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme When they had him in custody, that was part of Ward's plan. He let himself be captured to get at Sky, now Daisy, and walked out with her. He was in control that entire time. He even told Sky/Daisy from the moment he was "captured" that he was going to take her to her father.

Andrew was never a target for Ward, just insurance to get away. Guess what, it worked: (another problem with the latest show: If Hunter had been allowed to do what he wanted, Ward would already dead. It was May, and Coulson, that stopped him, yet Coulson had to be stopped from killing Hunter by Bobbi for not killing Ward when he had the chance. Huh?) The only reason that Andrew survived was that he was Lash, nothing to do with S.H.I.E.L.D. Also, the fact that Ward was so easily manipulated by Bill Paxton and Hydra, more recently Malick, shows how ineffectual S.H.I.E.L.D. has been. This is a guy easily manipulated by everyone that tries, but S.H.I.E.L.D. can't do anything?

When Coulson captured his psycho girlfriend, Ward managed to rescue her and bad luck had more to do with her death than S.H.I.E.L.D. or Coulson.

It remains to be seen what use capturing his brother did (after all it again didn't work out well when S.H.I.E.L.D. got to his other brother). At the moment it has led them to Malick (who could still get away having achieved what he wanted), but failed to stop Ward from going through the portal with Fitz.

There were mistakes he made along the the way, but after fooling all of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a year that we've known him, and who knows how long before that, he's been on a rampage for another year and a half that's caused all kinds of destruction to both the public and every member of what remains of S.H.I.E.L.D, physical and/or psychologically. Every time he does succeed and/or escapes with his life, he has bested S.H.I.E.L.D. Any "almost dead" situation for Ward has been a failure for S.H.I.E.L.D. because they were trying to kill him, and failed. This is why it is time for him to be killed.

I don't get how he is more useful to Coulson alive. If that was the case he wouldn't have tried, and failed, to kill him before. Finding him every time means nothing. This isn't a game of Hide and Seek.

Ward has been Coulson's primary concern many times before now, both as part of all of the the other priorities you listed (if he wasn't then that makes Coulson look even worse, as if you have one important part that connects all of your problems and don't make them a priority then you have no business doing what you're doing. Plus in every occasion he has sent valuable agents out to capture him only for it to go horribly wrong) and in the episodes in between, this is just the first time he's been prepared to go "off-book" and if he still can't stop Ward for good when he goes "off book", what good is he?

And as I said in my original post, why now? The damage Ward has done to each and every member of this crew that Coulson cares so much about and the thing that sends him "off book", almost driving him to kill one of his "family" and send two more off to their almost certain doom with a crew that he barely knows that, up until recently, were working for Hydra, and leaving one of their newest agents in charge, can be boiled down to "DUDE! Not cool! I just started banging her!"

It was just a poorly written episode that, for me, just served as a loose thread that unravelled the entire tapestry to highlight the ineffectuality of this supposed elite team of agents. It had some great moments, but logic is important to me in narrative and character development, and given the history of Coulson as we know it, the reaction to Rosalind's murder (don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great character played by an actor I love) was completely illogical. They should have either killed someone that has a known long relationship with Coulson, introduced her character in a previous season, or waited to initiate this part of the narrative until we got to know her more. The last two options would have been near-impossible. The only character that would have made sense, narratively, to be killed and get this kind of reaction from Phil (again, given all that's happened to this team) is May. Maybe that was the original idea, it makes sense in the bigger picture and Rosalind seems to have been injected into the series purely to set off this chain of events, it was just rushed.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fustacluck: One of THOSE Ward fanboys, huh? I'm probably getting nowhere arguing.

Anyways. Ward got captured, because he got his ass-kicked by May, while he was busy following the-king-of-the-future-of-the-universe, Garret, into not selling Deathlocks to the military like he had planned to.

He was stuck in a cell for a while, because Coulson wanted his Hydra intel. And got away once he was handed over into federal custody, because the FBI isn't as good as Shield.

He failed to kill Mays dad an old Man, whose best qualification was having been married to a CIA agent for some time. He had Andrew as his great get away plan and still only got away, because he run like a bitch, when he had Hunter and May outnumbered 5 to 1 and he got shot in the process, too.

Doesn't exactly speak for Wards abilities to shoot is girlfriend without Shield having to do much. And being too stupid to think of people locating his phone. And they failed to stop Ward? He didn't even want to go through the portal, before his new Hydra daddy told him to do it.

Wards escapes... bleeding on the floor and getting rescued by Kara, while Shield was busy stopping what they thought was a planetary threat. Being saved by Bakshi, from being murdered by Simmons and then running from the base, while everyone was busy saving people or gathering Hydra intel. Shooting his girlfrind and leaving while Shield leaves with his hostages, who his contraption failed to kill. Jumping out of a window and getting a hole in the shoulder despite his hostage and having the other side outnumbered.

Only once was that because Shield wanted him dead and everytime it was only single agents.

Coulson kept him alive in the cell, didn't have Deathlok rip his head off, sounds like he is letting him live. Then he always spread his forces out to stop Hydra or the Inhuman outbreak no time for some ineffectual psychopath, he lets Hunter handle that one.

When did Hunter have chance to kill Ward? He cornered him in the warehouse, ignored the hostage, and fired at Ward anyway and missed. The Coulson send May and Bobbi until they got distracted by more important enemys again. Why more important? Because Ward hasn't done shit. Lash killing a bunch of inhumans was way more success then Ward ever had. The guy only ever succeeds when he is working for someone.

And Shield stopped Garret, the Inhumans, most of Hydras leadership, Lash, and almost killed Ward as a side effect. The only guy who outmaneuvered them was Malick and that was via the ACTU, which was actually well-intentioned.

GreeenDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People only want Ward redeemed because Brett Dalton is hot as ****. And people are so used to that trope where evil is always ugly. Honestly Dalton's attractiveness is one of the only reasons I stuck with season 1. lol

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:

Uhmmm...

No Caption Provided

Didn't we establish Ward feels the need to be seen as a hero? May literally stated it this episode.

Malick is just playing with that. Lets give the man credit for figuring Ward out so quickly, before his alien messiah eats his brain for funsies, I mean.

I was joking...

fustacluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: Yeah I'm one of THOSE Ward fanboys. So much so that I'm the one that wants him dead and out of the series. Good deduction, well played. Jeez. Since you're so upset that you want to start getting personal, I'm ending this, even though your "argument" partially backs up what I'm saying, and partially because your memory of things that have happened are clearly different from mine (for instance May was already with Hunter and did everything to stop him when he tried killing Ward as soon as she knew Andrew was hostage, but whatevs), but mostly because I can't be arsed. I wasn't looking for an argument, unlike yourself, just stating an opinion based on the article, but if you want to take it as some personal slight, have at it, though I don't think it's that important that you want to get this emotional.

Feel free to to have the final word, if it makes you feel better, I'm outtie.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By d9000

Finally watched the episode and it's definitely a 5 star. When it started I was worried Ros was gonna get kidnapped, but then... :o

Coulson had become completely unhinged and I'm sure they're be interesting repercussions.

I'm really worried that Joey is going to die in his first mission but hopefully the 'secret warriors' will be a success and they can form a complete team... With costumes!!

I'm definitely on the side of the fence that believes Ward is one of the best villains in the MCU. But I think that's because, unlike every other MCU villain, he's had a ton of time too be developed and he's consistently been written well.

So excited for the next episode.