inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder are delivering some awesomeness here. Keeping in line with what happened before the CONVERGENCE break, Superman's powers aren't gone but they aren't what they used to be and now everyone knows Clark Kent is Superman thanks to an article written about him by Lois Lane. Essentially, everything about this book has changed, keeping in tone with what's already happened.

Superman is basically a street-level hero now. His strength isn't what it used to be, but he still is super-human. He can't fly, so he gets around by either jumping or riding around on a motorcycle. The question isn't "is Superman on a motorcycle awesome?" It's "how awesome is that?" The answer is "very."

Right off the bat, we get a street-level fight which shows the reader where Superman is at, powerwise: just strong enough to win a fight with five jerks who want to make a point. However, they still get a few hits in. Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder do a good job at making this issue about informing the read where Superman is at without making is blatant.

We do get a good idea where this is all going by the end of the issue and it looks like Superman's antagonist here will be one bad police officer who blames Superman for all that's wrong in the world. Superman addresses this upon his first meeting with the officer and why Superman is hated by some. It makes a lot of sense and is a cool approach to this story.

Aaron Kuder, along with Tomeu Morey and Hi-Fi on colors, has done some amazing things on ACTION COMICS since he jumped on. What Kuder does insanely well is establishing shots. He puts a ton of detail into these pieces and creates some wondferful, iconic scene, like Superman riding a motorcycle. I'm seriously obsessed with that. Kuder is the type of artist where every panel feels like it could be a poster.

The Bad

This isn't the Superman that fans will want to see. However, Pak and Kuder have proven they know what they're doing with this character, so while this may not be some fans cup of tea, right off the bat, give it a chance because what makes this a solid book is that we get to see this character in a whole new light and the challenges he'll face. However, the issue, as a whole, can be seen as a pretty slow start for the overall story.

There was also one moment where the inking got super-heavy and didn't match the lighting in the rest of the scene. However, that's the only problematic part with this book.

While the Superman t-shirt is cool, the "Eat Your Greens" shirt he had on in the beginning was so much cooler.

The Verdict

Superman is in a very different place right now, and while Superman fans may have trouble transitioning into this story, Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder know what they're doing. We're seeing Superman challenged by things that normally wouldn't be a challenge to him and that is what makes the debut issue of "Truth" exciting. I can totally get down on a story or two about Superman being a street-level hero. The only problems with this book were minor and had to do with a scene or two of art towards the end of the book, but aside from that, this is a great start to the new storyline.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I knew you were going to talk about the "Eat Your Greens" shirt.

Loved this issue

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Sounds good. Look forward to reading it

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ok so they made one of the most iconic characters in fiction history into Luke Cage. Great

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Superguy1591

@thecowwasdelirious: Not really: it's already hinted that he's gaining power slowly.

Anyway, I give it a 3.5/5. Not because of anything bad, it's just...that mid-book (wait 2 issues to find out what we're talking about) got to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thecowwasdelirious: Not really: it's already hinted that he's gaining power slowly.

Anyway, I give it a 3.5/5. Not because of anything bad, it's just...that mid-book (wait 2 issues to find out what we're talking about) got to me.

Agree.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously? *L*ee *L*ambert? I give it 2 issues before Supes is drooling all over her (I'm in a giving mood).

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: what "we're" talking about? Have you read the two next issues? Are you Jesus

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Superguy1591

@thecowwasdelirious: no, the Superman writers decide to tell a story and release crucial information not in an annual last month, but told us to "wait for Superman 42"...

We're on Superman 40.

it took me out of the story and made me want to wait till Superman 42 comes out before I read Action Comics 41.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, It was alright.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like it. The story was good.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The question isn't "is Superman on a motorcycle awesome?" It's "how awesome is that?" The answer is "very."

No, the question is who thought of such a stupid and ridiculous idea to try and make Superman seem badass whilst getting around without no powers.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

The question isn't "is Superman on a motorcycle awesome?" It's "how awesome is that?" The answer is "very."

No, the question is who thought of such a stupid and ridiculous idea to try and make Superman seem badass whilst getting around without no powers.

What is the hangup with him losing his powers?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lvenger

@dondave said:
@lvenger said:

Him losing his powers is very low on my problem list, though if you really want to know, I find it narrow minded and unimaginative for writers to depower Superman just so they can tell their stories more easily. It's his personality and world changes I have the bigger problem with in Truth.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, the sensitive fan girls make me laugh when they lose their minds because they don't agree with something that is happening in comics.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@dondave said:
@lvenger said:

Him losing his powers is very low on my problem list, though if you really want to know, I find it narrow minded and unimaginative for writers to depower Superman just so they can tell their stories more easily. It's his personality and world changes I have the bigger problem with in Truth.

He's had in powers in hundreds of comic, an event that focus on him not having powers shouldn't be a big deal.

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecowwasdelirious: no, the Superman writers decide to tell a story and release crucial information not in an annual last month, but told us to "wait for Superman 42"...

We're on Superman 40.

it took me out of the story and made me want to wait till Superman 42 comes out before I read Action Comics 41.

nice

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

And I agree. It wasn't bad, it wasn't mindblowing, it was just enjoyable.

That thing you mentioned didn't bother me as much as Clark's inner voice.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SaintWildcard

@thecowwasdelirious said:

Ok so they made one of the most iconic characters in fiction history into Luke Cage. Great

Except people actually care about Superman *zing*.I just see this as an other test that him as a hero has to overcome. Heroes are meant to be tested for our amusement, Superman is not exempt from that. He'll get his powers back, but this is showing him in a new light, and a hero that's been around for 75 years needs a good kick in the pants from time to time to stay relevant. You can't have the character do the same song and dance and expect readers to stay interested.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lvenger

@dondave: Believe me, those comics are the ones I'll be reading for however long Truth lasts. But I can't say I'm fond of Superman's power level being equal to Luke Cage at the moment.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@dondave: Believe me, those comics are the ones I'll be reading for however long Truth lasts. But I can't say I'm fond of Superman's power level being equal to Luke Cage at the moment.

I still don't see how him being weakened is an issue. You're essentially saying you don't like an entire tier of heroes.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
@lvenger said:

I still don't see how him being weakened is an issue. You're essentially saying you don't like an entire tier of heroes.

You misunderstand my issue, my problem is not with street level heroes at all. My problem is lowering Superman's powers to that of a street leveller. It takes away from the fantasy and escapism of Superman being a flying powerhouse. For example, how would you like it if Martian Manhunter got this kind of treatment? Low superstrength, weak telepathy, barely able to phase through a wall etc. you've always been saying how much you like MMH's power level to be respected, I doubt you'd like it if this was happening to MMH.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:

I like it. The story was good.

Yup and the art too

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dondave

@lvenger said:
@dondave said:
@lvenger said:

You misunderstand my issue, my problem is not with street level heroes at all. My problem is lowering Superman's powers to that of a street leveller. It takes away from the fantasy and escapism of Superman being a flying powerhouse. For example, how would you like it if Martian Manhunter got this kind of treatment? Low superstrength, weak telepathy, barely able to phase through a wall etc. you've always been saying how much you like MMH's power level to be respected, I doubt you'd like it if this was happening to MMH.

I doubt you love Superman because he's a flying brick. If it was just that Superman wouldn't be your favourite hero because they're many others like him. The fact that he had his power level reduced doesn't take away from all the other things that make him Superman.

The level or number of J'onn powers isn't why I like him. If that was the case the Silver Surfer would be my favourite hero. His story and his character is why I like him, not the level of his powers.

You're also forgetting that that is exactly what happened to Martian Manhunter during Forever Evil. I didn't have a problem with it then and I don't see the problem now.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the fuck did they decide to release this before Superman #41? I was reading it and immediately noticed how, you know, we're not at the beginning of the story. Ugh.

*sighs* The issue was great, though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Exactly, neither of us like these characters because they're flying bricks. I have said before that my bigger problems are with the personality changes, status quo alterations and shift in storytelling, not the depowerment. It is however a problem I do have with Truth.

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except people actually care about Superman *zing*.I just see this as an other test that him as a hero has to overcome. Heroes are meant to be tested for our amusement, Superman is not exempt from that. He'll get his powers back, but this is showing him in a new light, and a hero that's been around for 75 years needs a good kick in the pants from time to time to stay relevant. You can't have the character do the same song and dance and expect readers to stay interested.

Yes but this doesn't look like it's done right. You want to freshen up the concept, but still stick with the concept, this looks like all refreshment no sticking. i.e no balance.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:

Yes but this doesn't look like it's done right. You want to freshen up the concept, but still stick with the concept, this looks like all refreshment no sticking. i.e no balance.

Sticking? What do you mean?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SaintWildcard

Got it, not a mind blowing start but a good one at the very least. A solid 7.5/10

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: sticking to the concept. Freshening up the concept. refreshment/sticking.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By superhoodie

The art of Kuder was spectacular in this issue

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art of Kuder was spectacular in this issue

His Jimmy was the star of this issue. Summer Hipster Jimmy>>>>>>JrJr's 90's kid Jimmy

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
@lvenger said:
@dondave said:
@lvenger said:

I doubt you love Superman because he's a flying brick. If it was just that Superman wouldn't be your favourite hero because they're many others like him. The fact that he had his power level reduced doesn't take away from all the other things that make him Superman.

The level or number of J'onn powers isn't why I like him. If that was the case the Silver Surfer would be my favourite hero. His story and his character is why I like him, not the level of his powers.

You're also forgetting that that is exactly what happened to Martian Manhunter during Forever Evil. I didn't have a problem with it then and I don't see the problem now.

Well said.

Superman fans stop whinning. Superman even at full power will still lose to Batman so let's not pretend here that full powered Superman will make a difference. Hes always been getting nerfed. With how powerful he is and the amount of powers he has. Superman could practically solve any issue.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: sticking to the concept. Freshening up the concept. refreshment/sticking.

I mean... I kinda get what you mean but if I understand you clearly, I disagree that it's not doing what you want it to do. Not Pak's strongest start like his Superman's Joker arc (that had me tearing up). but by no means boring. A fun and intriguing start 7.5/10 IMO.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@lvenger said:
@dondave said:
@lvenger said:

In this issue his personality is exactly the same

No Caption Provided

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Superguy1591

@lvenger: there was absolutely nothing "badass" about Superman on that bike. I don't even get what the problem is--it's not like he had a leather jacket and a joined a biker gang. He just has a bike.

Is he only allowed to ride a Prius?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx: This coming from the guy who's been complaining about Superman on the boards is pretty much a blatant double standard. There's no real problem with a fully powered Superman, that's been his powerset for some time.

@lvenger said:
@dondave said:
@lvenger said:

In this issue his personality is exactly the same

No Caption Provided

But it wasn't in the 8 page preview.

No Caption Provided

And the solicits indicate we'll be seeing plenty more of this kind of moping Superman behaviour in Truth more than we need to be. His personality's not really the same either, Pak is ripping off his own work from Incredible Hercules when he depowered the titular character too.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@lvenger: Hardly moping, he just got depowered then chased across the arctic by evil shadows then at the end of his journey get to his destination the Fortress not only won't let him but takes away his birthright. Are you saying he shouldn't blow off steam by shouting? Seriously, there is ZERO moping or grim attitude in this issue. Also how is Pak ripping anything off when it wasn't him that came up with the overall story arc?

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

F it. I'm buying the book.

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

YAAAARG how dare tehy depower superman like this.................. to the power level that he was back in his first appearance in the 30's.......... and make him angry and mopy............ like he was in his early stories in the 30s.............. wait a minute :P

I flipped through the issue in the store when i was picking up my usual stuff (i buy action and superman in trade) and i was liking it.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herx: He's weaker than what he was in the Golden Age.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed it. I've got to say that anyone who's upset with the current changes in the DCU isn't as big a fan as they claim to be. If you were ever a fan of comics or new diddly-squat about them you'd know everything will go back to normal within a couple years.

Enjoy the ride for what it is, I sure as hell know I am.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MaxSavage

It's a solid start. I liked it. Still don't like the idea of Superman not being super, but if his character and personality stays the same, then I'm game. Superman is more the person than the powers anyways or that how it should be, if it was just the powers, people like Martain Manhunter or Captain Atom could be superman because they are just as powerful, but they are not. If "Truth" shows you why this is so, then it would be a success for us superman fans and the character.

Blinkshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can honestly say that this was the first time i read a Superman comic and was actually excited for what I read. I love that we're getting a story where the concept of Superman being the truth and Clark Kent being the lie, is basically thrown out the window, because now, as the character says himself "Hi, I'm Clark." Greg and Aaron do an excellent job of showing us a Superman changed, and humanized in basic ways that we never realized Superman took for granted. To feel cold, hunger, doubt of ones capabilities. I know that this is just a story arc, but i'll follow where this team takes us. My only gripes about this issue are that Aaron sometimes make his women look like men and his proportions can be off from time to time. Also, whats with the people no longer trusting Superman now that they no he's Clark? Is this new or was it always there and its just becoming vocal because they nolonger see him as "godlike" with his powers fading? Its an interesting wrinkle to add.

marcohtx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the book. Yeah its funny how he is basically Luke Cage right now, but I dont know. He seems kind of relatable in this book. Much more than the all powerful god who barely has any vulnerability.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Isnt this pretty much what Action Comics was with relaunch in New52. Low powered superman. More human....

This would make a better story if this was just 2-3 issue long. They dont have to make an event out of it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yelling randomly over the impossibility of his cape getting ripped and being locked out of the Fortress for plot conveniences whilst repeating in his head that he's still Superman is hardly the character portrayal I remember growing up with. It's a constant theme with Pak's work to try and make the main character as tragic as he possibly can. He did it with Hulk, Hercules and now he's hamming it up with Superman too. I'm sorry but there is plenty of moping and grimness in this issue, or did the aggressive bikers and the xenophobic graffiti and loads of Metropolis citizens not tip off the obvious grimness this story is going for? And Pak was involved in the meetings with the other editors and writers so he's as much a part of Truth as they are.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I checked Superman gained a new power, some body exploding solar flare thing. But now he's lost his powers? When? Where? How?