Follow

Fantastic Four

Movie » Fantastic Four released on August 07, 2015.

The failed 2015 reboot of the Fantastic Four franchise directed by Josh Trank.

Fantastic Four

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Fantastic Four had a lot going against it. Fans of the comic book series have been stand-offish about the reboot from Fox, especially after two films from the studio which failed to hit their mark. However, with a new cast, new director, and new writers, can the reboot of the series take this iconic super-hero team in the right direction or does the film feel more like Fox trying to retain the rights to this legendary Marvel team? Fantastic Four is the underdog you want to root for that just falls short.

No Caption Provided

In the reboot, Reed Richards is a brilliant child scientist who befriends a classmate named Ben Grimm. Together, they work on a teleportation device, all the way up to high school, where Franklin Storm asks Reed to come to his school for scientific geniuses, to perfect the teleportation device, which turns out to be a piece of technology that moves matter from one dimension to another.

Reed meets Sue Storm, her brother Johnny, and recluse Victor Von Doom as they work to complete this machine. After some indeterminate amount of time, the machine is completed and in a drunken stupor, Reed, Victor, Johnny, and Ben head to this new dimension and get blasted with energy, and Doom is left there to die. When the machine returns, it emits a blast which hits Sue and the four of them develop the super-powers fans are familiar with. While being examined by the government, Reed escapes and goes into hiding.

No Caption Provided

Jump ahead one year, Johnny, Sue, and Ben are working with the government and need Reed to make the inter-dimensional machine work again. They find him, get the machine up and running, travel back and scientists find Doom there, where he comes back to Earth, kills a bunch of people, then heads back to his dimension where he uses his powers to try and dissolve the Earth as Doom makes its matter into energy for him. The Fantastic Four jump in and save the day, but only after realizing, 30 seconds into the fight, that they need to work together. The final act of this film comes out of nowhere and is an utter mess. It feels rushed, which is saying a lot.

Fantastic Four is essentially an hour and forty-five minute montage for a movie that doesn't exist. It feels like a trailer more than a complete story. There's little connectivity between scenes, where the audience feels dragged from one to the next. The audience is constantly being updated with information they've already seen through expositional dialogue, many times from a government official named Harvey Elder, played by Tim Blake Nelson. In the comics, he's known as Mole Man. His dialogue is 90% explaining what just happened or something the audience is going to see mere seconds later and 10% lines the writers think the audience might say about something that just happened like "That was a good speech." The movie reaffirms what's happening way too much and tries to use those dialogue pieces as transitions between scenes, which ends up being a jolt.

The film never takes the time to breathe or bathe in a moment. It just jumps from scene to scene at a grueling pace, yet the film seems to drag on and the runtime isn't even two hours. Thus, there's a disconnect from all the characters in the film because the audience really never gets to truly know who these people are. Reed is a genius and his parents and teacher (the worst science teacher in the history of film) don't understand him. Ben is his friend and seems like he might be a good one. Sue sees patterns in things. Those three characters come off extremely flat. Johnny Storm likes to race cars. He's charismatic and intelligent.

No Caption Provided

Michael B Jordan is one of the saving graces of the film because he's so much fun to watch, but he's still written a tad flat compared to any other character from any other super-hero film, or any decent film for that matter. Then, there's Victor Von Doom, played by Toby Kebbell, who is easily the most defined character in the entire film, and he holds, in total, probably 20 minutes of screen time too. He's a nomad. He wants power. He wants to be remembered. The major downfall of Doom is that he's introduced as a threat to this new team about 15 minutes before it ends, and the glowing green all over his body looked a tad absurd.

No Caption Provided

However, conceptually and overall story wise, this film could have been worthwhile. As a whole, this could have been a great, contemporary look at this team. Dimensional-travel, super-powers, working for the government, all of these pieces could make up a great film. This was something that truly stood out about it all. There are lots of small moments and glimmers of hope as well. As Johnny, Victor, Ben, and Reed travel to the other dimension, the film makes this turn into an adventure film, and it's pulled off so well and reminiscent of so many great adventure films from movies in the past. In addition, seeing these characters work for the government, on its own, could have been a great film too, especially if the audience gets to see them learn to use their powers, which they don't because it jumps forward a year where everyone has pretty much honed their craft. Even the last 15 minutes with Doom could have made a great film on its own. Fantastic Four simply tried to pack too much into a short amount of time, and while there's plenty other big problems with the film (dialogue, characterization, even the CG), this is the biggest problem. Calling this "too ambitious" does not seem like the right phrase though. This feels more like there's "too many cooks in the kitchen." Too many writers, producers, and the studio trying to pack this film with way too much.

Fantastic Four was a movie I desperately wanted to be good. I was really rooting for this film, but all-in-all, it misses the mark. It's not the worst comic book adaptation around, but it's not memorable. There are moments where the audience could see the potential for a great film or even three great films, but between the pacing issues, problematic dialogue, and the overall montage feel of the entire movie, it sadly falls flat. It's a film that feels like it's just Fox trying desperately to hold on to the rights to the Marvel team.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

ouchesss even Comce VIne.

Barely seen any good review for this movie.

~MiB

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I heard the Original Cut ran for 130 minutes,I hope it's released.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm happy it's getting good reviews, can't wait to see it this weekend.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Let's be real, who didn't see this coming?

As one of this site's absolute biggest FF fans I should be really upset by this, but frankly this doesn't even register as a Fantastic Four movie to me.

All I or any other fan of Marvel's first family can hope is that the rights go back to Marvel so we can finally get a good FF film, because let's be real, if any Marvel property deserves that, it's the team that basically made Marvel comics what it is today.

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

Stewart77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Matt, now I know for sure I don't want to spend $$ on watching this!
    Also, by your review, it sounds like they tried to combine Doom with Annihilus; even looking at the trailers he had this green tech-version of Annihilus going on.

Stewart77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I hope so, but we all know Fox will do everything they can to hold onto it.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It was an ok movie, I would give it 3 stars.........but the thing that surprised me was Doctor Doom, he was beyond epic, my only problem is that the team defeated him very quickly using PIS, but he was extremely powerful and his design was really good.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I honestly would've given it a 1/5. Pacing was bad, dialog was terrible and sometimes cringe worthy, there wasn't much chemistry at all between the characters and the action was so very bad.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I have seen two completely separate reviews of this movie that have both described this movie as being similar to a pilot to a TV series. One had said, it was like a pilot to a TV show you'd likely not watch.

Apparently, this movie is suppose to have some really terrible end scene to it.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope everyone knows Josh Trank basically said Fox came in and messed everything up

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: Well we we know Fox just announced they are closer to getting an X-Men TV series, and that this film is pretty much being universally panned, so maybe Fox will figure "This franchise is worthless to us, so we're just gonna give Marvel the rights back in exchange for the TV rights to the X-Men"

It's insanely far fetched, but I can hope.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was there at least a Stan Lee cameo for those who watched it? Just curious.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

There's a tweet from the director that practically disowns this version of the movie, so it kinda reeks of 3rd party meddling.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Give the rights back to DC!!!! :p

wmarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: @kivatt: Seems like whining to me, though from what I here he is probably not far of the mark.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmarshal: I'd be mad and disown a movie if what I wanted to do was crapped all over on

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

I hope everyone knows Josh Trank basically said Fox came in and messed everything up

There's a tweet from the director that practically disowns this version of the movie, so it kinda reeks of 3rd party meddling.

Yeah because there's no way he'd just be covering his ass so he can work again. With the bad reception of this film it's pretty obvious he won't be working with Fox again so it seems simple enough to put all the blame on them. Not saying they aren't to blame though they've been shady in the past. Most likely both parties are to blame.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kivatt

@feartheliving: The same thing happened with Amazing Spiderman 2 though. I wouldn't put it past them(studios)

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really didn't think this one was gonna be all that great, but after reading all these different reviews from all of these different people, all I can say is "holey crap on a cracker, it was even worse than I thought."

Give the FF back to Marvel already!

wmarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this looks like whining. " What I really wanted to do would have had great reviews" I am not putting it past Fox, but he really needs to take it better.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By KritikalMassX

So...I guess we can scrap the X-Men/FF universe and just let Marvel take it here, huh? A lone X-Men universe is just fine with me, anyway.

THIS JUST IN:

Frank Castle just saw the FF reboot and is doing something about it...

No Caption Provided

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone really think this was going to be a good movie?

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a garb movie

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to say this, but I really want this movie to bomb to lower the chances of there ever being a sequel.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#29 Icarusflies  Moderator

The real questions is, is it better or worse than the other Fantastic Four movie?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah because there's no way he'd just be covering his ass so he can work again. With the bad reception of this film it's pretty obvious he won't be working with Fox again so it seems simple enough to put all the blame on them. Not saying they aren't to blame though they've been shady in the past. Most likely both parties are to blame.

That is true, Trank ofc grew a reputation of being difficult to work with during this. But I have to say I think it's more likely Fox that is to blame because this movie seems to be making the same mistakes that made the two earlier FF movies such failures.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man said:

Was there at least a Stan Lee cameo for those who watched it? Just curious.

No, there is not......the movie was meh, but Doctor Doom was really good.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

The previous two films had superior casting, costumes, characterization etc. over this reboot version. Those films were far from perfect and still tarnished the brand a little with garbage scripts but the property still had plenty of life in it.

This version is an utter abomination.This version hurts the FF brand.

Disney should force all of these floating properties back under the Marvel Studios banner ASAP before too much permanent damage is done.

The Thing was disrespected and is a Marvel Icon. The horror of this film....

Dr. Doom eats Luthor, Zod, Joker, etc. for breakfast and is yet to be faithfully adapted at all. What is wrong with these people that they cant do it right?

No Caption Provided

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kivatt

@outside_85: Do you think he might have gotten just fed up with everything that was going on?

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the only time that two stars could be seen as generous.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

@outside_85: Do you think he might have gotten just fed up with everything that was going on?

With people from Fox coming in and telling him how things should be? I am pretty certain that is the case.

Avatar image for verotikryptonite
    Verotikryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt: I think the horrendous casting was the beginning of the end for this abomination. A chubby faced Reed Richards combined with an unattractive Sue Storm. Turning the Storm siblings into a bi racial pc statement. A black Johnny Storm. And Doom is a far removed from source material as well. The Craptastic Four.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Two Stars? On Comicvine?.....this movie is in trouble I see....

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine said:

Did anyone really think this was going to be a good movie?

This.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@sprior93: The CGI was impressive and some of the dialogue was pivotal but overall the movie was horrible and a waste of a good opportunity. Marvel studios needs to buy back FF and create the perfect adaption

E1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" "Fantastic Four is essentially an hour and forty-five minute montage for a movie that doesn't exist." COMICVINE "

Boom! They should put it on the posters.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dropped this like a baby from a balcony

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God I love this film.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

I've heard Trank was high on set and destroyed property during location shooting worth $100 000. Matthew Vaughn was called in to shadow direct and salvage the movie.

That said, the committee trying to "fix" the movie might have done more harm than good.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's be real, who didn't see this coming?

As one of this site's absolute biggest FF fans I should be really upset by this, but frankly this doesn't even register as a Fantastic Four movie to me.

All I or any other fan of Marvel's first family can hope is that the rights go back to Marvel so we can finally get a good FF film, because let's be real, if any Marvel property deserves that, it's the team that basically made Marvel comics what it is today.

^^^^THIS^^^^

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RisingBean

I'm still going to see and judge for myself, but...

@infamous_wolf said:

Two Stars? On Comicvine?.....this movie is in trouble I see....

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have hardly read any Fantastic Four comics, but I think the previous films had Reed Richards perfectly cast.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The previous two films had superior casting, costumes, characterization etc. over this reboot version. Those films were far from perfect and still tarnished the brand a little with garbage scripts but the property still had plenty of life in it.

This version is an utter abomination.This version hurts the FF brand.

Disney should force all of these floating properties back under the Marvel Studios banner ASAP before too much permanent damage is done.

The Thing was disrespected and is a Marvel Icon. The horror of this film....

Dr. Doom eats Luthor, Zod, Joker, etc. for breakfast and is yet to be faithfully adapted at all. What is wrong with these people that they cant do it right?

No Caption Provided

This is such a terrible movie. For me it's almost as bad as Catwoman.

IMO, Fox have yet to produce a genuine super hero film using Marvel characters and it looks like Trank is spewing forth excuses for making a CRAP movie.

Both Fox and Trank are to blame for this counterfeit adaptation. Why didn't we hear about his fantastic version a year ago? Because it doesn't exist.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried, and I really wanted to like this, but the acting, was abysmal, some of the lines delivered were terrible, this Dr. Doom has to be the worst incarnation of the character ever conceived and I still don't even know what his power set was, unless that was explained in the 2 minutes i spent going to the bathroom. I fail to see how they went from an hour and a half of boring nonsense to a ridiculously bad fight scene to the end of the movie, saw this, and still decided the film was ready to put out. This was far and away the worst FF I have ever experienced, and I tried and really wanted Fox to do a good job, when have great comic book movies to draw on, see what works and what doesn't you don't have excuses for this crap anymore, this isnt 2000, this isnt your first rodeo. Learn that this stupid crap doesn't work, focus on emulating man of steel, avengers, or iron man, and stop using whatever horrible tech you are holding onto and pay for the upgraded special effects because honestly this was terrible, ugly and was just as bad if not worse than days of future past demonstrations of powers. I still have nightmares and how stupid and corney storm looks using her powers and I am 100 percent positive I could do better in my backyard with my smartphone.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think these characters need a movie...what if the marvel movies are bad as well? They'll just get too repetitive with the jokes and action....I think they should just let them rest in peace....still going to watch this tho.....Many a times a film is disliked by all and I happen to find a silver lining in it....

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahhahahahhaha I knew this was gunna bomb from seeing th e first trailer, so glad its getting bad reviews, now Fox will have to give the rights back to marvel, hopefully its a flop financially, cant wait to see the profit margins hahahhahahhahahahhahahhaah

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.