No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The Good

If this was your final day on Earth, what would you do? If you had a chance to say goodbye to the people you care about before you left, what would you say? That's what this issue is about.

FANTASTIC FOUR #5 AU is written by Matt Fraction and features the art of Andre Araujo. There is definitely a lot that I enjoyed about this issue, but there were certainly some moments that felt a bit lackluster. First, on to the good stuff!

There are certainly some emotional moments, and some profound ones as well. Reed's final words to both his children is one of the best scenes in this issue, hands down. It is a moment of sheer honesty where Reed reveals and opens up to the both of them about what is essential to remember in life. Each character leaves Franklin and Valeria with a little bit of food for thought, and each moment really makes sense as far as which character is giving what piece of advice, except for one. There is one character that doesn't actually send the two kids a message, and there's a good reason for that.

The pacing of the story is pretty quick, so there is a good chance you will get through it rather fast because it is engaging. The story moves quickly and there is only dialogue when it is absolutely necessary.

The Bad

This issue definitely feels like a tie-in issue; it doesn't feel very natural or as if it follows the sequence of events that we have seen thus far in this series, which is a little bit unfortunate. It basically reads more like a "what if" issue than it does as an issue that follows the natural progression of the story. In a way, it all feels a bit out of place. And while there were some emotional moments that were good, there were others that simply weren't built upon. There is a scene where Sue essentially watches her husband sacrifice himself so she can live. She watches him die and the reader doesn't really get to see the emotional reaction she should have experienced.

I was also not too crazy about the art. There is a lot of great panel layout in general (like the scene where Reed is communicating his final words to his kids), but as far as the way the characters are actually drawn, it isn't something I was too crazy about. The kids look a little bit awkward.

The Verdict

Overall, this issue is not as good as previous issues we've seen in this series mainly because it really feels as if it takes readers out of the main story. Basically, it feels a little bit forced. The result is a story that feels completely outside the continuity of this series. In addition, there are moment in this issue that should have been emotional, but weren't, and that was something of a let down.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mucklefluga

Reed Dies!! But i thought this event was in continuity! So is it not in continuity? aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Reed Dies!! But i thought this event was in continuity! So is it not in continuity? aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

It could be but this issue certainly doesn't feel like it!

Avatar image for flyinggrayson22
    FlyingGrayson22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I didn't like Reed's final words to his kids. I mean it was emotional and well done, but that's a super depressing world view to pass on to your kids.

Jacobin_Wisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The main AU titles, and SSM AU art work were similar enough, and kept the same tone. I do not know WHY they didn't follow the same path as it felt too 'cartoony'.

We all really didn't see how most of the heroes died in AU but the deaths of Johnny, Ben and Reed glimpsed into how deadly Ultron can be.

I hope this shall be the weakest of tie-ins as it was a disappointment.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that Johnny Storm in the cover? Didn't he get cut off from 616 by substituting himself with Thing in that ... thing that happened ...? He died right? People mourned? Future Foundation? White Spider-man? Something about an alternate Reed Richards making Doom his slave? Doom lost his intelligence? But still found the time to separate Hulk and Bruce Banner? Then Hulk grew facial hair and Banner went nuts?

Ah forget it, if Human Torch is back so quickly then I doubt this issue will have any significance in 18 months time either.

Comic books.

Avatar image for deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e
    deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Then why do you read them, then?

LemmyCaution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought it was one of the best of the current 5 issues. The emotional scenes with the kids worked great for me and I loved the art. Yes, it's placement chronologically is an issue, but that is more of a function of Marvel's numbering system than any fault of the book itself.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't care for Reed's message I think it contradicts his character

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By skyjumpermike

I liked this issue. It's a good story despite them trying to force us to believe AU is happening now when it doesn't fit. But I don't let that bother me. I really felt terrible for the kids all alone in space and a Mom back on earth who is probably really worried about her kids.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FLStyle
    lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lmothander

The whole series ends with Wolverine and Sue Storm going back in time and killing Pym, thus no Ultron

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The whole series ends with Wolverine and Sue Storm going back in time and killing Pym, thus no Ultron

Except Hank is mentioned in the epilogue solicts for age of ultron so that's theory out the window

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm suspecting this becomes an alternate reality att he end and it was like it never happened

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 owie  Moderator

Clearly in the end none of this will have happened.

I kind of liked the art. I was hoping for a little more insight into what happened to bring about Ultron's control. Superior Spidey felt a little meatier in this regard.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Thing's revelation about Doom. It kind of changes my feeling about Doom's character.

I did like the Ultron with a Doom mask.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read FF 5AU first today and I liked how AOU got a lot better after that for me.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By iaconpoint

So skipping this issue won't make me miss out on the main, regular F4 story will it?

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, this didn't really do much for me, felt kinda forced... but I'm not that invested in AoU so...

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. I should pick it up.

JamesScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How is Ben dead in this issue but on the bunk with all the survivors in issue 1 of AoU??

XxHeavyRainxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By XxHeavyRainxX

@flyinggrayson22: Yeah, pretty obviously exposes the bleakness of an atheistic worldview. Pretty unfortunate.

Avatar image for cameronrobertson92
    CameronRobertson92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxheavyrainxx: Gotta say I completely disagree tbh, I thought it was really well done. Reed had the respect to not lie to his children about what he thought would happen just to make them feel better, and he gave the solid advice with the words "What we do is ALL that matters".
    He's saying that what matters is what we do with our lives, we have choices and its our decisions and how we use our chances that matter. He thinks that because there's no threat of eternal punishment for wrong doing, it means how we choose to act says far more about us.
    And to @Mutant God, I really don't see how this is a contradiction of Reeds character in any way. Your dislike of an atheist message is completely irrelevant to whether it fits the character. I, and Im sure many others, would say it fits the character perfectly.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leokearon: Guess that theory isn't really out the window anymore since it happened...

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@cameronrobertson92: But reed has been to heaven in a story before, so it doesn't really make sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.