Shouldn't Emma and Scott be married by now?

Avatar image for spideyfan69
#1 Posted by spideyfan69 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma and Scott have been together for years and years and years and YEARS shouldn't they be married by now?

Avatar image for lorex
#2 Posted by lorex (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

I real life most likely they would have been married by now, but due the soap opera like nature of comic books they  probably will never get married. Also the large comic book publishers are very gunshy about making any permanent connections between characters
let alone them having children. The execuse they always seem to use is the do not want to saddle future creative teams with spouses and/or children they will have to account. A prime example of this is the children of Sue and Reed Richards from the Fantastic Four. 
Writers have been trying to do something with Franklin and later Valeria for a very long time with varried results. Also look what Marvel with with Scott Summers son Nathan who eventually became Cable, that is a long and convoluted story. Another example of this 
attitude is what happened with Spider-Man and Mary Jane. Various writers would use the execuse that they could not fit her into Spider-Mans world or she was too hard to make her interesting without making her the victim all the time. What did thay do, they retconed 
their marriage and took the easy way out. Anyway yes Scott and Emma should have gotten married by now but probably never will.

Avatar image for mercy_
#3 Posted by Mercy_ (94460 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like neither of them need a piece of paper to define their relationship. They're partners and lovers, they're about as married as it gets without making it legal.

Moderator
Avatar image for danhimself
#4 Posted by danhimself (21430 posts) - - Show Bio

why do they have to be married? there are tons of couples in real life who have been together for years and have no intention of getting married

Avatar image for mercy_
#5 Posted by Mercy_ (94460 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

@Mercy_ said:

I feel like neither of them need a piece of paper to define their relationship. They're partners and lovers, they're about as married as it gets without making it legal.

There is way more to marriage than just having a paper...it is a bond...I think they should have been married long before now.

My entire point was that they DO have that bond.

Moderator
Avatar image for revamp
#6 Posted by ReVamp (23015 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

I feel like neither of them need a piece of paper to define their relationship. They're partners and lovers, they're about as married as it gets without making it legal.

I need not speak.

Avatar image for johnnygat
#7 Posted by JohnnyGat (1592 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott couldn't find a diamond ring that would outclass EF's diamond form.

Avatar image for mercy_
#8 Posted by Mercy_ (94460 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Not the kind of bond marriage has...there is more than sex and being partners to marriage, their is this bond that is only there when there is marriage. There is that depth that can't ever be obtained when partners.

What changes in marriage other than legally being recognized as each other's beneficiaries, the right to legally make medical and other decisions in necessary cases and other legal matters as opposed to beforehand? They're still in love, they still have that bond, they're still partners. The only thing that marriage changes is you are putting that commitment down on paper and making it legally binding. Which, in the long run, doesn't really matter considering there's something like a 54% divorce rate anyways.

@ReVamp: High five.

Moderator
Avatar image for revamp
#9 Posted by ReVamp (23015 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Not the kind of bond marriage has...there is more than sex and being partners to marriage, their is this bond that is only there when there is marriage. There is that depth that can't ever be obtained when partners.

So you can't have that kind of bond without it being legally recognized? Whut?

That makes no sense, you're basically saying that there's a limit to how much you can love someone without having a paper legally recognizing your partnership.

Avatar image for revamp
#10 Posted by ReVamp (23015 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Like I said there is a bond be partners can never be taken. Its hard to explain but one thing that is obvious is...you say I am comited.

You can't be committed without a piece of paper saying so?

Divorce is a sad fact. Divorce should never have existed and the only reason why divorce is so high is that most people don't marry today.

Whut? You can't divorce without marrying first.

That being said Marriage says I agree with my partners belief and I am One flesh with him...

You can't agree with your partners beliefs and being one with him/her without it being states as such in a piece of paper?

there is no "partnership" in marriage it is one flesh...they say I am no longer me...you are no longer you. We are one.

Yes, a piece of paper says that. That doesn't mean in any way that you can't feel this without marriage.

And when divorce happens it is kinda like removing a person's arm you will never ever be the same.

No. I know people who feel "whole" again after divorce.

Divorce shouldn't be as high as it is.

How is that relevant?

Marriage is more than a legal paper it is saying I love you so much

You can't love someone "so much" without a paper saying it?

and agree with you that we are one, you are my soul mate and I will join with you till death do us part.

You can't agree that without marriage? (Not to mention, I think that being exposed to the risk of death every single day expresses this better than any paper ever will)

Divorce shouldn't ever happen but it does. If people really loved each other unconditionally then marriage is a given and divorce would never ever happen.

But the problem is that it does. Often. And marriage isn't necessary to "love someone unconditionally".

Now... Is Marriage a valid expression of everything that you have said? Yes, absolutely and you're right in saying so. Does it mean its a requirement for everything you said? Naw.

Avatar image for mercy_
#11 Posted by Mercy_ (94460 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna decline from replying as Revamp's said everything I would have.

Moderator
Avatar image for kainscion
#12 Posted by KainScion (2991 posts) - - Show Bio

namor said it best: 'he married the red-head'

Avatar image for duchess
#13 Posted by Duchess (6077 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they don't need a piece of paper to tell them they're in love and committed to each other. No legal binding dictates how two people choose to treat their relationship.

Avatar image for daycrawler
#14 Posted by Daycrawler (556 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Okay maybe you didn't get what I just said. Marriage means you are one flesh. That means I am one with the one I marry, Partners still keep their rights as individuals. Plus there is something else...Marriage also is a religious deal and as such Christianity(which our country is based on) and other religions say that marriage is necessary.

The bond in a Christian's eyes says they are not just married in Government's eyes but in God's eyes and since I am a christian I am one of those people furthermore if God says he wants you to marry the one you want to be with then guess what...that means that it is necessary.

Read this

Each to their own. That is you and you belief system's take on what marriage means. You can't define what it means to everyone else because everyone else will have their own take and own views. I respect your right to have this view, but it doesn't match up with mine (speaking as a married man). You seem to be imbuing the concept of marriage with your own particular religious beliefs which somehow give it further meaning to you, as away to somehow enhance that love. However, I follow no religion or belief system (which is not to say I don't believe in a higher power - just not convinced enough), but that does not mean I have something missing in my relationship with my wife. It's a fully loving and enriching partnership with marriage basically acting as a personal and legal affirmation of that love. My love for my wife would not have been any less or negatively impacted if we had not gotten married. To me, such a suggestion is ridiculous, naive and slightly offensive to be honest.

Avatar image for mercy_
#15 Posted by Mercy_ (94460 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

namor said it best: 'he married the red-head'

And we all see how well that turned out.

@Daycrawler: Incredibly well put.

Moderator
Avatar image for kainscion
#16 Posted by KainScion (2991 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: at least cyke kept trying with jean. i doubt they will remain together after avx. especially since emma screwing around his back with namor (and has kissed him before).

Avatar image for jonesdeini
#17 Posted by JonesDeini (3866 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, yes they should

Avatar image for revamp
#18 Posted by ReVamp (23015 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daycrawler: Well said. Not exactly what I'd have said, but it follows the same line of thought.

Avatar image for daycrawler
#19 Posted by Daycrawler (556 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@KainScion said:

namor said it best: 'he married the red-head'

And we all see how well that turned out.

@Daycrawler: Incredibly well put.

@ReVamp said:

@Daycrawler: Well said. Not exactly what I'd have said, but it follows the same line of thought.

Thanks guys.

Avatar image for mercy_
#20 Posted by Mercy_ (94460 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@Mercy_: at least cyke kept trying with jean.

So...cheating with Emma and shunning any attempt that Jean made to try and get their relationship back on track was trying?

Moderator
Avatar image for rickbarry
#21 Posted by Rickbarry (2005 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: Hey, no one's perfect. Haha.

I personally wouldn't want them married. It's kind of cliche in the comic world. I'd be cool if they wore matching wristbands.

Avatar image for one_eye
#22 Posted by One_Eye (791 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry said:

@Mercy_: Hey, no one's perfect. Haha.

I personally wouldn't want them married. It's kind of cliche in the comic world. I'd be cool if they wore matching wristbands.

Heh, so you think Emma should wear one of those golden bracers that Scott wear in his current costume? :p

Avatar image for crimsonlord53
#23 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1546 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Not the kind of bond marriage has...there is more than sex and being partners to marriage, their is this bond that is only there when there is marriage. There is that depth that can't ever be obtained when partners.

What changes in marriage other than legally being recognized as each other's beneficiaries, the right to legally make medical and other decisions in necessary cases and other legal matters as opposed to beforehand? They're still in love, they still have that bond, they're still partners. The only thing that marriage changes is you are putting that commitment down on paper and making it legally binding. Which, in the long run, doesn't really matter considering there's something like a 54% divorce rate anyways.

@ReVamp: High five.

Then why the big deal with Northstar's wedding other then it was a same sex marriage and very much in vogue at the time. If scott married emma it might change the scumbag out look people have of him.

Avatar image for mercy_
#24 Posted by Mercy_ (94460 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crimsonlord53 said:

@Mercy_ said:

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Not the kind of bond marriage has...there is more than sex and being partners to marriage, their is this bond that is only there when there is marriage. There is that depth that can't ever be obtained when partners.

What changes in marriage other than legally being recognized as each other's beneficiaries, the right to legally make medical and other decisions in necessary cases and other legal matters as opposed to beforehand? They're still in love, they still have that bond, they're still partners. The only thing that marriage changes is you are putting that commitment down on paper and making it legally binding. Which, in the long run, doesn't really matter considering there's something like a 54% divorce rate anyways.

@ReVamp: High five.

Then why the big deal with Northstar's wedding other then it was a same sex marriage and very much in vogue at the time. If scott married emma it might change the scumbag out look people have of him.

You answered your own question.

Moderator
Avatar image for crimsonlord53
#25 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1546 posts) - - Show Bio

I know maybe I should have added "around northstar's wedding".

Avatar image for mercy_
#26 Posted by Mercy_ (94460 posts) - - Show Bio

The answer would be the same. All of the hype regarding Northstar's wedding was to boost sales and publicity.

Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
#27 Posted by deactivated-5791595859013 (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

It took him and Jean a loooooooooooooooong time to get hitched, besides they do not really have the free time to schedule a wedding even if they wanted too at the moment.

The Phoenix empowered wedding night sex might destroy the resort they are staying in..

Avatar image for madame_mist
#28 Posted by Madame_Mist (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Emma dreams of the white wedding thing, but they don't need anything to prove or define their love.

Avatar image for raineffect
#29 Posted by RainEffect (3376 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:

I feel like neither of them need a piece of paper to define their relationship. They're partners and lovers, they're about as married as it gets without making it legal.

What she really means is that Scott's still got his pants at his ankles waiting for Marvel to bring Jean back.
 
/trollface
Avatar image for thanosismad
#30 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2412 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Okay maybe you didn't get what I just said. Marriage means you are one flesh. That means I am one with the one I marry, Partners still keep their rights as individuals. Plus there is something else...Marriage also is a religious deal and as such Christianity(which our country is based on) and other religions say that marriage is necessary.

The bond in a Christian's eyes says they are not just married in Government's eyes but in God's eyes and since I am a christian I am one of those people furthermore if God says he wants you to marry the one you want to be with then guess what...that means that it is necessary.

In the truest since of biblical terms, the two were married the moment they had sex. The whole ceremony doesn't really constitute marriage, that all came much, much later. The consummation of the relationship is what marries in the eyes of God, pretty much.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#31 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio

Unlikely it'll ever happen now. Marvel decided to destroy Scott and Emma, as characters and as a unit, looks like Emma's going to die as well.

Avatar image for madame_mist
#32 Posted by Madame_Mist (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Unlikely it'll ever happen now. Marvel decided to destroy Scott and Emma, as characters and as a unit, looks like Emma's going to die as well.

I will never forgive Marvel for what they've done to the couple. Though I think it's Scott whose going to die. With someone said to take on someone's former costume, I think younger Cyclops will replace him.

Avatar image for ceddsong
#33 Posted by Ceddsong (46 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always thought of Emma as being an exemplar of the modern woman. Independent, strong, well educated, the equal or superior to any man. Marriage seems too cliched for the White Queen. And we know how she loves to fly in the face of tradition. If Emma got married it would feel out of character. Also marriage is certainly not the ultimate expression of love. And though Emma loves Scott can you imagine her taking his last name and binding her assets to his non-existent ones. Emma is a self made woman and lives according to that concept marriage just seems out of place in her relationship.

Avatar image for tdk_1997
#34 Posted by TDK_1997 (17078 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that they should get married.

Avatar image for hareil0079
#36 Posted by Hareil0079 (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

I feel like neither of them need a piece of paper to define their relationship. They're partners and lovers, they're about as married as it gets without making it legal.

agreed

Avatar image for mr_marvel82
#37 Posted by Mr Marvel82 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ceddsong said:

I've always thought of Emma as being an exemplar of the modern woman. Independent, strong, well educated, the equal or superior to any man. Marriage seems too cliched for the White Queen. And we know how she loves to fly in the face of tradition. If Emma got married it would feel out of character. Also marriage is certainly not the ultimate expression of love. And though Emma loves Scott can you imagine her taking his last name and binding her assets to his non-existent ones. Emma is a self made woman and lives according to that concept marriage just seems out of place in her relationship.

I agree. Emma doesn't seem to be the marrying type.

Avatar image for darkmount1
#38 Posted by Darkmount1 (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

If those two got married, we'd see what Mel Brooks and Madeline Khan did in the airport security scene from "High Anxiety" every day of the week. (It's funny--I could picture Emma faking a yenta voice.)

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
#39 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (5792 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyGat said:

Scott couldn't find a diamond ring that would outclass EF's diamond form.

lol

@ReVamp: @lorex: @spideyfan69:

i think marvel is aganist them getting married because it would be the death of emma like jean before her and maddie before her

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
#40 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

Time doesn't seem completely linear in comic books, A lot of the characters like cyke have been around since the sixties but cyke isn't sixty, so their relationship doesn't really have a set length.

As for all the marriage debate, it's not just a piece of paper, it is a symbol of commitment, I'm not saying that two people can't be committed without marriage, but it is the next step in a relationship, The reason for the incredible divorce rate in reality is just because our generation thinks that if somethings broke (like marriage) they throw it away and don't fix it. Love is a choice, Marriage is a confirmation of that choice. Finally as for the religious part of this debate, You don't have to be legally married to be married In christ, Adam And Eve weren't legally married It's not about a paper It's the promise.

Avatar image for cerealkiller
#41 Posted by CerealKiller (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant imagine them having a wedding ceremony. would anyone show up? seriously, i love the two together, i do. but i just cant see it happening! does Emma even have enough friends to make up a team of bridesmaids? Plus she's a telepath, i can imagine her walking down the isle and she'd be able to hear everyone awkwardly thinking back to when they sat in on scott and jeans wedding....because in universe, i dont think many people are super approving of their relationship. Emma of course is aware of this, and i dont think she'd want to draw attention to any of it.

plus Scott doesnt have the best track record with wives....he is basically the Ross Geller of Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.