Follow

Elseworlds

Concept » Elseworlds appears in 301 issues.

'Elseworlds', or 'Imaginary Stories' are tales where a fresh concept or idea is tried on an existing character or storyline. This often leads to a new and fresh take on existing characters. 'Elseworlds' is also when the narrator give characters new story lines, and concepts.

Gotham by Gaslight custom JLA

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

Ok, so most of you out there know of my passion for Elseworlds... so when these came to my attention, you can imagine my joy...

someone out there has managed to start making a custom set of figures based on the original Elseworld, Gotham By Gaslight.

Very cool stuff as well, amazingly detailed...

Superman

He is designed to have a bit of a military look.  I used a muted color palette.  I wanted the chest flap to be like the classic diamond logo.  I finished it off with the hand stitched looking logo in a Victorian style font, a trademark of this line.

Batman

Although the line was designed to go with the original DC Direct Batman figure, I knew fairly early on that I was going to at least modify the existing Batman (head, symbol, belt, paint) to have a more cohesive look with the rest of the line.

Wonder Woman

The base figure of the Amazonia Wonder Woman by DC Direct was too perfect not use.  But, I reworked the blouse, added the dress, belt, lasso, and sculpted a new eagle logo to match the hand stitched look of the other logos.

The Flash

I went for the pilot look, thinking that the helmet, goggles, and leather jacket would give him protection from the elements at high speeds.  I also went for a tough looking pair of military boots for durability.  I his red outfit I used a special burnishing technique to get the look of dirty leather.

The Green Lantern

What stood out to me in GL's original costume were the colors.  I applied the color scheme to a Victorian era gentlemen's suit.  I added to the Victorian era lantern.  I used the green goggles to look like the mask and protect his eyes from the bright light of the lantern.

Martian Manhunter

This was a challenge.  His classic look is a mostly naked green Martian running around in a blue Speedo, pirate boots, and a bandolier.  The Manhunter name, made me think of Sherlock Holmes, and I liked the idea of a Martian in a Victorian suit.  I used the classic colors to keep the right feel.

Aquaman

I really liked the idea of Aquaman as a deep sea diver, but rather then a helmet full of air, I gave him a helmet full of water.  I tried to keep the original color scheme.

Hawkgirl

The original idea I had for her was the mechanical wings.  The figure was going to be Hawkman, but I changed it to Hawkgirl in order to have another girl in the line up for balance.

And here for your viewing pleasure, are the finished models... as usual, click for larger images...

Hawkgirl
    Hawkgirl
    Aquaman
    Aquaman
    Martian Manhunter
    Martian Manhunter
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern
    The Flash
    The Flash
    Wonder Woman
    Wonder Woman
    Batman
    Batman
    Superman
    Superman

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Darkchild

Thats just awesome, makes me want to go reread GBG

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Methos

Gotham By Gaslight is an amazing Elseworld...

one of my favorites...

to see Batman take down Jack The Ripper is just awesome lol

M

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Constantine

aha GL sneakily sticking up middle finger

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Darkchild
    Methos said:
    "Gotham By Gaslight is an amazing Elseworld...

one of my favorites...

to see Batman take down Jack The Ripper is just awesome lol

M"
    Damn right. Still loved the looks of Flash and Aquaman. Those were my favs i might have to check this site out.

Constantine said:
    "aha GL sneakily sticking up middle finger"
    LMAO
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jefprice

I just read Gotham by Gaslight for the first time, GREAT book, one of the best things by DC I think I've ever read.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I think Gotham by Gaslight' version of Superman should look more like a strongman from circus.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.